The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

I saw these in Llangollen this afternoon. I've had 5 MZ 250s in years gone by but didn't think folks bothered with them any more. This bloke obviously does, must be hardcore camping in Feb too. I've no idea what a Misty is but his mate rides one.

attachicon.gifIMG_20190209_122854509_HDR.jpg

You obviously haven't come across anything I've posted about mine that I do 10k a year on... Clubs still very active,not that many still used as every day transport but still a popular bike for hardcore dragon type stuff.

I'm out of touch with motorcycles since selling my T140 in 2001.

I have great memories of doing stuff like the National and other rallies all over Europe. A friend left me several Russian 650s last year and I wondered if it would spur me into putting one on the road, but owning examples of most Soviet bikes in the 70's has kept that itch well and truly scratched.

I would have been more tempted by an MZ - I never had an etz... I did, however sample a German friend's IFA 350 from the same factory. A bit of a disappointment, it was quite lumpy with both cylinders firing simultaneously, defeating the object of having flat twin.

post-7547-0-46975000-1549838293_thumb.jpg

If anyone is interested in acquiring Ural I might be able to help...

I didn't know about it, but I wouldn't have gone because I think the only bit of my bike gear that does what it's supposed to do is my lid.

I only knew as a mate in MAG posted a link to it late last week.

Went out on the ZX10R i bought at the end of November.

By fuck it is quick - pulls harder in 6th than my NC does in first. The handling is beyond immaculate, holds an unbelievable line. like nought else ive ever ridden.

Went out on the ZX10R i bought at the end of November.

By fuck it is quick - pulls harder in 6th than my NC does in first. The handling is beyond immaculate, holds an unbelievable line. like nought else ive ever ridden.

Aye they go some don't they, I'm not having another litre sportsbike, last one I had was my '04 5VY R1 and that was fucking ridiculous, I've ridden other newer stuff like HP4's and new R1's and they are just far too much for the road, they are impossible to ride slowly and when you are pulling wheelies at 130mph+ every time you are out its only a matter of time before liberty or life is in real danger, the only way I'd own one now is as a track only bike, but it gets very expensive very quickly and I've been there done that.

Good fun for a blast but on the road I'd rather get my kicks relatively legally these days, although saying that I do ride my MT09SP like a bellend at times but prolonged high speeds are painful and dangerous as it gets a proper weave on when at 8/10ths or above :D

I didn't know about it, but I wouldn't have gone because I think the only bit of my bike gear that does what it's supposed to do is my lid.

First they came for the lid, and the frogs said CE approved gloves or else.....

I believe the argument is that once you start deciding on how much risk you allow someone on a motorcycle to take you quickly decide you shouldn't allow them to ride a motorcycle anyway. Getting rid of bikes is a far easier way or reducing KSI statistics than enforcing the mobile phone ban for instance.

Now I wouldn't ride without a helmet, heck I don't fancy an open helmet, survivable injuries to my face don't appeal, let alone all those bugs but I wouldn't stop anyone else wearing one. Same as riding in shorts and a t shirt. It's not any of my business nor my skin so why should I care. By getting on a bike you've already proven yourself adult enough to decide on risks so you can carry on doing that yourself imo.

That being said personally MAG wise the Helmet thing does my head in so to speak, I understand with Fred Hill why it is important. However a lot in life is picking your battles and the helmet law will never be repealed. So when they keep banging on about it they just seem out of touch to your average motorcyclist these days. If they want to be effective as a campaigning organisation they need to increase their reach beyond the old triumph riding rally goers.

Aye they go some don't they, I'm not having another litre sportsbike, last one I had was my '04 5VY R1 and that was fucking ridiculous, I've ridden other newer stuff like HP4's and new R1's and they are just far too much for the road, they are impossible to ride slowly and when you are pulling wheelies at 130mph+ every time you are out its only a matter of time before liberty or life is in real danger, the only way I'd own one now is as a track only bike, but it gets very expensive very quickly and I've been there done that.

Good fun for a blast but on the road I'd rather get my kicks relatively legally these days, although saying that I do ride my MT09SP like a bellend at times but prolonged high speeds are painful and dangerous as it gets a proper weave on when at 8/10ths or above :D

I have to say there is not comparison between it and my FZR1000; the performance on every level is just in a completely different universe. it's insanely quick, im genuinely shocked how rapid it is compared to all the other bikes ive owned/ridden.

compared to my FZ1S it would destroy it, completely destroy it.

It would destroy the FZ1 for sure but in the real world the FZ1 is just as quick on real roads with traffic and the like, not many of my mates got away from me on mine and they would have to be pretty commited to stay ahead, I love sportsbikes and have ridden them pretty much exclusively for the last 20 years but I don't think they have a place on today's crowded camera infested roads, my latest worry is the dash cam wanker brigade and the active encouragement from the powers that be to submit footage of people 'doing wrong' what is a perfectly safe overtake on a bike with power and handling to spare is interpreted by a lot of folk as dangerous, when it is in fact anything but, but the footage would make you out to be a speeding maniac.

Take your number plate off, doesn't seem to matter anymore, we got passed going down the A24 by about 20 bikelife type twats - only a few of them had a plate on, yes I'm impressed several of them can hold a power wheelie in formation, but the busy dual carriage way isn't the place to demonstrate. The few tail end Charlie's trying to catch up a few seconds later nearly rear ended one vehicle, I would say the road was clear when the other person would have checked their mirrors prior to manouvering.

Oh yes and the guy who was commuting on an unregistered KTM was wheeling a WR into oncoming traffic a couple of weeks ago. Obviously after dark and with no plates or lights on. He's been doing the same route at the same time for at least 6 months now.

It would destroy the FZ1 for sure but in the real world the FZ1 is just as quick on real roads with traffic and the like, not many of my mates got away from me on mine and they would have to be pretty commited to stay ahead, I love sportsbikes and have ridden them pretty much exclusively for the last 20 years but I don't think they have a place on today's crowded camera infested roads, my latest worry is the dash cam wanker brigade and the active encouragement from the powers that be to submit footage of people 'doing wrong' what is a perfectly safe overtake on a bike with power and handling to spare is interpreted by a lot of folk as dangerous, when it is in fact anything but, but the footage would make you out to be a speeding maniac.

I'm pretty sure the police don't have time to review footage (which no doubt will be huge, unedited files created by half-wits).  But suggesting they do gives the impression that Action Is Being Taken.

Im not so sure. I was pretty quick on my FZ1, but im pretty certain ill be in a different league on this thing, once i am used to it.

reminds me of when i tried to chase a S1000RR down the A470 a couple of years ago and nearly fell off the road as the FZ just couldnt slow down and turn in as easily - not to mention the long straight where the BM left it for dead.

I'm pretty sure the police don't have time to review footage (which no doubt will be huge, unedited files created by half-wits). But suggesting they do gives the impression that Action Is Being Taken.

And this is EXACTLY the reason I received a NIP for careless riding between J8 and J7 of the M11 a few months ago. I've ridden this same stretch for nigh on 30 years almost daily. I know there are no official cameras on that stretch.

I decided to take the option of the course rather than plead guilty and take three points. So what had I done? I've no idea as to find out I would have had to plead not guilty and only then, and three weeks before the court case would I receive the "evidence".

As far as I can tell, the NIP was issued because of something caught on a dash Cam, and I can only think it was for riding on the inside lane past all the cunts that sit in the middle or outside lane all the time. And at no more than 70 too (otherwise I'd have probobly faced a speeding charge).

I consider it safe, but doubt a blue rinsed, mid fifties magistrate would.

Be careful out there, everyone is out to get us!

I'm planning on getting out on the MT tomorrow, it feels like spring and I've fitted a big fuck off adjustable screen to it to stop the wind battering me at 80mph

LsiYZTE.jpg

I don't care what it looks like as long as I can do a 50 mile journey without getting a bloody headache and not being able to hear my music because of the bloody buffeting, its the worst bike I've owned for it and it does my head in!