The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

Rose tinted specs make me wish I had kept some of the bikes I had in the 70's and 80's, but to be honest, most of them were shit then, and only shite now. Expensive shite at that too (the Goldwing I bought in 1976 had a list price of £1600).

Most bikes from the late 90's to date are in my view, pretty much the same in everyday useable performance, although I do like ABS and quickshifters!

Talking of crap old bikes. I went to Jem's speed shop (yes it's a bit* hipster) in Batley the other day. The cafe is ok if a bit expensive, the bikes for sale actually made me laugh when I saw the prices though.

Turbo Maggot for £10k anyone?

Lovely day today so dragged the bike from under the sheet its been languishing under since the end of Sept and had a 60 mile blast on it.

I'd forgotten how bloody good it is, couldn't get a brew or bacon butty anywhere though :(

NAxp7xv.jpg

I really want a louder exhaust as the triple is a bit muted with the standard one, problem is an Akrapovic is £900 :( I might have to get a cheap Delkevic system for it instead.

WTF is that?? Apart from it being a Yamaha I have no idea what model it is, what year or what engine size. I like it though, bloody hell do I like it.

Its a 2018 MT09SP

3 cylinder 900cc CP3 triple with about 115bhp, ABS, TCS, 3 power modes and a quickshifter and its an absolute hooligan :D 

PDnI08y.jpg

XvpMNP1.jpg

I bought a cheap (£29.00) carbon fibre end can from China (even came with a metal Akropovic sticker) for the carbed CBR600 I had, to replace the massive and heavy standard end can. It looked well made, and fitted straight on. I didn't weld the spring hooks onto the link pipe, but secured them with a couple of stainless steel exhaust clamps made for a car I had in the garage. Even the mounting strap and rubber was well made, and the strap was a thick gauge stainless steel.

I left the removeable baffle in, and it sounded different but not much louder, as proved by the decibel test at Cadwell Park on a trackday. Also had no effect of performance or fuel consumption, but did make the bike look a bit better, getting rid of the huge standard can.

I sold the bike to my brother a year ago, and the end can still looks like new, the carbon fibre showing no sign of breaking down as carbon fibre sometimes can.

Not sure what effect using one on a newer FI'd bike, but doubt it would be any different to sticking any make of end can to it-the construction is pretty much the same on them all.

post-19526-0-28353300-1546354707_thumb.jpg

post-19526-0-22803900-1546354727_thumb.jpg

Only paid £400 for it, and apart from the fuel pump failure, did nothing to it except oil and filter changes in 30,000 miles.

Problem is mine needs a full system, the standard one is a one piece complete system so fitting just an end can is not going to happen unfortunately, I also don't like cheap chinese knockoff parts, I had a cheap lever fail on my trackbike and it wrote the bike and almost me off, I'm tempted to buy the Akra as it will still be worth around £600 when I chop the bike in at 3 years old but its a lot of money.

Didn't realise it was a one piece system. The Delkevic systems I have seen seem to be a good alternative to Akropovic, and more reasonably priced.

I think my KTM RC8 is the first bike I have had for a long time where replacing the end cans isn't a 10 minute job, but even then the whole system didn't need to be replaced. Still an £800 swap though (by the previous owner, thankfully).

Will have to try an MT, as not ridden one since they were first launched, and the reviews have been very good.

I think I had been spoilt with the two field bikes I have, as one was £50 and the other free, I had no idea how much end of life bikes are worth until I talked about this SGX50.

cc is not important because the plan is confine it to my own field.

My plan is to do my CBT 2019 as I have a 2003 Aprilia Habana 125 that I do want to take on the road and only have a 50cc licence. 

borrrrrn to beeeee wyyyyyylllllldddddddddddddd :lol:

I really need to stop reading this thread. Its like a recovering alcoholic reading about people discussing their favourite beers.  :-D

My last bike  was a CBR600 FX. A cracking little bike, that gave no trouble at all, and in the real world, was plenty fast enough for public roads.

If my recovery from biking ever fails I would try and steer myself towards a 1200 Bandit.

Ive always loved sports bikes, and would love an R1 or ZX10, but Im nearly 60, plus If I lost my licence I would have no job.

Is the Honda Cub a newish one or well preserved oldie ? I have a 1987 C90 in my shed that Im slowly restoring. Not exactly a labour of love, but it saves me from having to watch utter shite on TV on my days off work. and there should be a nice little profit in it when I sell it.

Think that's a Yamaha Townmate (because shaft drive)-like these a lot.

The CBR600 I had was the FV model and was the last in line four I owned. And will ever own. It was a great bike but prefer my v-twins now. The CBR is a brilliant all rounder, and even for a near 60 year old me, was all day comfortable. I must be an odd shape, as my RC8 is more comfortable.

I went from a FT  CBR6 to the Thunderace and it was night and day, the Ace is everything the CBR6 is trying to be but with 403cc more.. Easy power and plenty of it, all day long comfort ( I did it more than once ), 200 mile tank range and it will still take a beating around a track ( first bike I got my knee down on ).. Good with tyres and brakes it cost little to run.. All in a very under rated bike in my opinion..

You guys recommend a good Mile muncher?

Have a 1000f (when I get it back), so want a modern equivalent.

Been thinking on the lines of a Hayabusa, as ridden one recently, and was impressed how comfortable and agile it was.

However you more knowledgeable folk, may know better.

Edit:

Will be used on the ride to work, which is around 30 miles, and it'll also be used for the odd weekend 'fun' day out

Depends on your budget, but ZZR1100/1200 are good bikes. Had a CB1000F at work a few years ago and was disappointed when they got rid of it on age grounds.

V-Strom 1000's are great after a few mods (MCT reworked the front suspension and turned it into an awesome handling bike). I toured Europe on mine three years running-only sold it because of a knee issue I had. The bike was 100% reliable.

I know I'm being biased rather than objective, but a KTM RC8 really does make a great tourer as well as a bike for tracks. Only it's ability to ear tyres, even in gentle touring mode takes away from its overall ability.

Some of my redundant bike stuff for sale on Gumtree at the mo:

Bike rucksack:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/accessories-styling/motorbike-rucksack-oxford-aeropack-excel/1325292811

Nice big old-fashioned throwover panniers:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/accessories-styling/motorbike-panniers-hein-gericke-throwover-type-suit-classic-bike/1325291449

Shiters' discount definitely applies! PM me if either are any use to you.

You guys recommend a good Mile muncher?

Have a 1000f (when I get it back), so want a modern equivalent.

Been thinking on the lines of a Hayabusa, as ridden one recently, and was impressed how comfortable and agile it was.

However you more knowledgeable folk, may know better.

Edit:

Will be used on the ride to work, which is around 30 miles, and it'll also be used for the odd weekend 'fun' day out

I knew a lad who went through rear tyres within 80 miles on his 1st gen Busa..all the way over too,no chicken strips for him

Some of my redundant bike stuff for sale on Gumtree at the mo:

Bike rucksack:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/accessories-styling/motorbike-rucksack-oxford-aeropack-excel/1325292811

Nice big old-fashioned throwover panniers:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/accessories-styling/motorbike-panniers-hein-gericke-throwover-type-suit-classic-bike/1325291449

Shiters' discount definitely applies! PM me if either are any use to you.

Can I take the rucksack if you can post it?

Ta

until you try them, it's hard to believe how much better the ergos are with those chinese 'cnc' levers. i fitted them to every bike ive had in the last 10 years, where they are available. They are so much nicer/easier/comfortable to operate than the curved cast-ally fitted as standard. The ones i ordered were actually plain metal, but china sent me 'gold' so thats what went on.

Is there a seller /  keywords you go for specifically on EBAY? I need a new clutch lever and am tempted by a new set of both for basically the same money, however like everything Chinese made, the internet suggests you either get something great value or something guaranteed to snap as soon as you need it. 

Is there a seller /  keywords you go for specifically on EBAY? I need a new clutch lever and am tempted by a new set of both for basically the same money, however like everything Chinese made, the internet suggests you either get something great value or something guaranteed to snap as soon as you need it. 

Funnily enough, i just took my new [to me] ZX10R to the Mot station [with success] and had put chinese CNC levers on it yesterday. I just bought the cheapest ones listed for my bike. I think they were £13 inc p&p. I carefully inspected them before fitting and made sure the locators, pivots, cable nipple retainers matched the oem ones. Just find ones that fit and for the cheapest. They are all similar, but better than oem.

btw my FZ1S had them on for 35,000 miles, my NC has had them on for 16,000 miles and my FZR1000 2,000, all with no drama at all.