The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

I really REALLY fancy one of the new Enfield 650 interceptors.

They seem an absolute bargain too for around £5,500.

That's a brand new bike, with glowing reviews, bags of character, more authentic than a modern bonnie and with a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty.

Yes it's not the fastest or the most technologically advanced thing you've seen but that's not the point. It looks and sounds glorious (270 degree crank)

0f987e0a4d634132a66406bfbf9c3ec0.jpg

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

Just re read your original post. How dismantled have you actually had the carb? Have you stripped it literally of everything, cleaned the pin holes in the emulsion tube, had the mixture screw out, blasted through every orifice with compressed air?

Will it rev out on light throttle or does it die at a certain rpm regardless of throttle opening

When it starts to die what happens if you put the choke on.

A new carb (of the correct spec) shouldn't make it worse, if it's not a carb issue it should be exactly the same.

Fully dismantled carb, all cleaned with wire pokey tools. No mixture screw.

Will rev happier when I hold the brake on and don't allow the clutch to grab.

As soon as the wheel spins it cuts revs and won't gain any speed or revs.

Choke only kills it.

The new carb was a Chinese copy it seems and probably wouldn't be any use anyway.

I really REALLY fancy one of the new Enfield 650 interceptors.

They seem an absolute bargain too for around £5,500.

That's a brand new bike, with glowing reviews, bags of character, more authentic than a modern bonnie and with a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty.

Yes it's not the fastest or the most technologically advanced thing you've seen but that's not the point. It looks and sounds glorious (270 degree crank)

0f987e0a4d634132a66406bfbf9c3ec0.jpg

Cross plane twins are brilliant. vibes, torque and feel of a v-twin without the complexity. I love the engine in my NC, sweet as a nut.

Fully dismantled carb, all cleaned with wire pokey tools. No mixture screw.

Will rev happier when I hold the brake on and don't allow the clutch to grab.

As soon as the wheel spins it cuts revs and won't gain any speed or revs.

Choke only kills it.

The new carb was a Chinese copy it seems and probably wouldn't be any use anyway.

I'm grasping at straws now!

Will it run with the exhaust fitted but loose on the front connection to the engine, I know you said it wouldn't start at all with it removed.

Interesting phrase - is it more authentic than a Bonnie? The RE factory in India can trace it's history directly back to the 40's and then back to the UK but the Indian Enfiled factory has never built a twin before and every aspect of the the Interceptor is brand new, but there is at least a direct link to the past.

Todays Triumph has no connection with the old Triumph bar the names. But the Interceptor is like the new Bonnies in that they are a totally brand new design.  Indian and Norton motorbikes are in the same situation.

I would suggest that some of the other 'retro' bikes have a greater degree of authenticity - Moto Guzzis are built in the same factory and their engines have a direct lineage back to the first V twins, Ducati Scramblers come from the original company as do Hardly Dangerouses. You could also argue that the Honda CB1100 and the new Kawasaki 900 are 'authentic' as again they can trace their roots back to the original.

Verdict - the Interceptor is more authentic than a Bonnie, but less authentic than a Moto Guzzi V7.

Oh and as for the Enfield, it's similar power / torque / weight to my old XJ600 and it was capable of most things

I agree with this - my NC750 is capable of everything I want and has similar power / torque / weight to the Interceptor. It's good to see that some manufacturer's are prepared to make bikes which aren't part of the horsepower arms race which seems to be getting out of control at the moment.

I'm grasping at straws now!

Will it run with the exhaust fitted but loose on the front connection to the engine, I know you said it wouldn't start at all with it removed.

Me too! I'll try that but I'm quite sure the exhaust is fine.

I'm going to fully rebuild it with a new piston and rings and gasket set, replace the coil and try and find a stator.

There's no rush really as the weather is so poor I won't be riding it any time soon. Need to concentrate on the Mercedes, this thing is distracting me so it can sit in the naughty corner while I gather parts.

• 2 weeks later...

I fixed the indicator yesterday & pumped the tyres up (2psi low at both ends).

I must order a new rear tyre in the new year, it's on the markers now. I hate to think how much I've spent on rubber over the years....

Attention Royal Enfield Interceptor fans - Kawasaki are about to re-introduce the W800 with a Euro 4 compliant engine (the W800 was withdrawn from Europe a while ago due to it's 'dirty' engine). From an 'authentic' point of view the W800 can trace it's lineage directly back to the 60's and the W650 - the first 'big' Japanese bike and possibly based on a BSA 650 (there is a lot of discussion around this point).

It should provide serious opposition to the RE but MCN estimate a price of £8500, so may be not so competitive which is a shame as I suspect it will be a better long term bet.

post-3405-0-26051300-1545913820_thumb.jpg

Totally uninteresting to me, it's Jap & classic bikes don't come from Japan. So any modern interpretation of a classic also can't be Jap.

I think that'll be it's biggest problem - and the capital 'W' on the tank... But as mentioned there is a direct link to the 60's (unlike the RE) but this link is not so obvious as Kawasaki is a 'modern' name unlike Royal Enfield.

The W series was inspired by the twins built by Meguro who were taken over by Kawasaki in the mid 60's. The original W series incorporated Meguro's logo into the Kawasaki badge.

post-3405-0-50500300-1545915083_thumb.jpg

True, I see where they come from. But to me classics represent a 'lost time' old versions of stuff you can still buy (ie everyday Jap bikes) aren't classics for me.

Inspired by Hooli's photos from yesterday, I took the VFR out today.  Unfortunately it was rubbish - my visor kept misting up (inside the pinlock), roads were busy, there were banks of thick fog (of course full of spunk trumpets driving without lights), and I seem to have forgotten all but the most basic fundamentals of how to ride (after just 3 weeks off the bike).  So I'm sat here with my helmet on, trying to adjust the damn pinlock again.  This is my 3rd helmet and I've had this problem with all of them - no matter how snug the fit is, once out in the cold the insert seems to contract more than the visor.  Perhaps I need a sunnier personality to increase the temp inside my helmet?

Totally uninteresting to me, it's Jap & classic bikes don't come from Japan. So any modern interpretation of a classic also can't be Jap.

Do you not consider the likes of the Honda CB750, Kawasaki Z900, Suzuki GS series, to be classic and Japanese? Surely your own GSX1400 is an homage to the GS range of the 70's?

I've never really had much interest in British bikes as such, always the Japanese stuff. They pushed the envelope to a greater extent in my opinion. I do appreciate some of the older British machines but have no inspiration to own one whatsoever, I would be very happy to have something like a W650/800 etc.

Do you not consider the likes of the Honda CB750, Kawasaki Z900, Suzuki GS series, to be classic and Japanese? Surely your own GSX1400 is an homage to the GS range of the 70's?

No, I just see them as old bikes.

I guess my GSX is a homage as you say, but I didn't get it for that reason. I got it as it was comfy, easy to ride & likely to survive long trips touring.

Needing a new helmet.

I’ve always bought cheapos albeit 5 star sharp rated cheapos. I quite like a flip front but I’d take a full face. Needs to be under £200 as that’s plenty given I change them once every 12-18 months as I ride everyday and as a clumsy sod they get dropped.

I’d like Bluetooth but I’m a realist where £200 is in the market. Have no issue with not a big brand as have bought sub £50 stuff for years, last dear one was a lazer NOS that I love but can’t get a visor for it.