The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

Pulled the engine of my Suzuki TS250 apart the other evening. It was a rough "field bike" when I bought it but it did run and I rode it around the sellers garden with no apparent knocks or rumbles so I wasn't expecting this carnage! Crank covered in rust and a collapsed main bearing. Crank rust is likely to have been from years of sitting unused in a damp shed. These old piston port 2 strokes are a lot more susceptible to this than later reed valve motors in my experience. Thankfully the big end bearing looks spotless so it should scrub up ok. All cranks on ebay have some level of rust so no point in chasing a replacement. The collapsed main is probably because the motor was running on premix as that bearing is one of the two locations the oil injection pump introduces oil into the engine. I've got a NOS oil pump to fit when the engine goes back together. 

A day of scrubbing and cleaning awaits me........

post-5762-0-20992200-1543050641_thumb.jpg

post-5762-0-36393100-1543050659_thumb.jpg

You know, with all this Interceptor 650 chat, I'm starting to think I could look past the slightly rough edges and have a think about one.

Here's the website - https://www.royalenfield-uk.co.uk/model/Royal-Enfield-Interceptor

But I've no idea where my nearest dealer is - the locator doesn't work on the website and the gallery pictures of the Interceptor appear halfway off the screen. It's this attention to detail which makes me a little wary of them...

The Enfield is a fair whack less than a Triumph twin, and not much less performance.

Triumph went down in my estimation with this:

attachicon.gif20181117_110916.jpg

Just a joke, or a real model for those fucking annoying hipsters?

If you want a proper British built twin you'll have to find £9999 for a Norton Atlas which is £1000 cheaper than the Triumph Thruxton 1200. Admittedly the Norton is a 650, but it's a modern forward looking machine and will surely be a hit for Norton - nostalgia is all very well, but it's not the future...

post-3405-0-73433700-1543234648_thumb.png

I wouldn't be too worried - they looked fantastic in the whole, with an authentic 60's aura about them; in particular the engine cases casting and finish looked very 'old fashioned' (in a good way).

I was just a little disappointed about the detailing. As mentioned the two halves of the indicators didn't quite line up, the switch gear felt a little gritty and some of the welds were a tadge 'bulky'. But they are considerably 'less expensive' than a Japanese bike and so I may be a little over picky.

To whet your appetite..

attachicon.gifre interceptor.jpg

And for the curious, here's the Bennelli Imperiale...

attachicon.gifimperiale.JPG

I do like Triumphs but the various Bonnie's just never quite looked right. The Interceptor however looks like bikes did when I was a kid.

For any info on them mail

royalenfield@motogb.co.uk

Helpful and ready to chat.

Also

https://www.rideapart.com/articles/265354/speed-record-royal-enfield-continental/

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

Just back from a wee run in the Vito down to Southport to collect this... A double Decker ZX9-R B4. Proper winter project as it doesn't run ( starter clutch gubbed) and has no brakes or clutch. A gamble?Probably, but can't resist a big Kwak. Should keep me occupied until spring.

IMG_20181125_120111.jpg

Let's hope the gearbox and headgasket are good too, looks well except for the cheap ass danmoto can

Picked up the ZX10R earlier. It's so small and light - easiest bike ive ever put onto my trailer. Took it for a quick spin on the lane by my house, nearly dropped it as the clutch is typically sharp [modern 1000cc bikes all seem to be] and i got a load of spin up from the cold track-focused tyres. It doesnt even feel run in, still fresh as a daisy.

Had to clear space in the garage for it.

Will be on the road in the new year.cant wait.

I had a brand new black ZX6R in 2009. Had it 3 weeks and 350 miles, when a car turned across my path in Hereford and wrote it off. It's nice to be on another black ZX-series bike. They are classy, well-made [much better than Honda and Suzuki anyway] and have amazing ergos.

Should be a ton of fun.

crazy irish teacher - who has a himalayan that hes just done a lap of ireland on (had succession of tigers till he bought a ktm last year)

thought he was just testing one here or in ireland but clocked the plate on the front

hes in delhi :lol: (we were slaggin him saying DL was donegal :lol: )

crazy irish teacher now on nepal india border (or he was on thursday)

hired a himalayan :lol:

nutter