Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The Bikeshite Thread

• Please log in to reply
5183 replies to this topic

#5131 OFFLINE   Nyphur

Nyphur

hooptie life

• Full Members
  • 3,577 posts
  • 54 thanks

Posted 04 October 2018 - 08:26 PM

This "bit" fell out the front of my bike earlier... I heard a jangling as I pulled into the car park and thought I must have ran over something, but then heard the jangling again as I parked up. I couldn't see anything loose so tapped the front fork/mudguard area and this fell out.

Pretty sure it's from the bike, not something that got flicked up off the ground as it's the same shade of green as lots of the bolts on the bike. I had a quick look about with a torch to see if I could see where it came from but no luck.

Any wise ideas before I start ripping panels off tomorrow? Wallet for size reference. Cheers

IMG-20180924-WA0001~2.jpeg
  • Christine likes this

#5132 OFFLINE   Christine

Christine

• Full Members
  • 3,306 posts
  • 19 thanks

Posted 04 October 2018 - 08:34 PM

Does it retain the brake hose ?  I looked at the blue suzuki on the previous page , there's a similar wire bit on the fork / mudguard 

• Nyphur likes this

00 Transporter 800 spesh

93 Pajero 2.5 td  Automatic

02 Honda HRV v-tec

98 Astra Arctic 1.6 16v

82 Fiesta mk1 1.1L

93 Astra GLS Automatic

Vacancy for ....Viva HB  :-D

#5133 OFFLINE   Nyphur

Nyphur

hooptie life

• Full Members
  • 3,577 posts
  • 54 thanks

Posted 04 October 2018 - 08:37 PM

That's what I was guessing too, some sort of cable or hose tidy, but I couldn't see where it could have broken off of. Will have a better look in the daylight.

#5134 OFFLINE   Dave_Q

Dave_Q

• Full Members
  • 4,757 posts
  • 64 thanks
  • LocationConveniently located for the M62 and well regarded local schooling

Posted 04 October 2018 - 08:55 PM

Looks like part of 11051A in this diagram.

https://www.fowlersp...master-cylinder

Capture.JPG

There should be one bolted to each forkleg guiding the brake hose.

• twosmoke300, Christine, Fabergé Greggs and 1 other like this

09 Fiat Multipla

99 SV650

too many pushbikes (apparently)

Thanked by 1 Member:
Nyphur

#5135 OFFLINE   Nyphur

Nyphur

hooptie life

• Full Members
  • 3,577 posts
  • 54 thanks

Posted 04 October 2018 - 09:47 PM

That looks to be it, thanks very much.
Looks like I needed to whip the JB Weld out and reattach it.

#5136 OFFLINE   Christine

Christine

• Full Members
  • 3,306 posts
  • 19 thanks

Posted 04 October 2018 - 10:10 PM

Pritt will do  8)

00 Transporter 800 spesh

93 Pajero 2.5 td  Automatic

02 Honda HRV v-tec

98 Astra Arctic 1.6 16v

82 Fiesta mk1 1.1L

93 Astra GLS Automatic

Vacancy for ....Viva HB  :-D

#5137 OFFLINE   John F

John F

• Full Members
  • 7,113 posts
  • 50 thanks
  • LocationObjective reality

Posted 04 October 2018 - 11:43 PM

Tamworthbay, on 04 Oct 2018 - 4:35 PM, said:

They are one of my favourite bikes, I have had all sorts including GSXR1100s, fireblades, Buell, etc etc and I don’t miss any of them like my old CX, I bought it when I was a student for the cliche role of courier in the summer. I had it three years and used it for courier I got in the summer and as a winter hack. You could chuck round any corner in the summer and warm you hands on the cylinder heads in the winter. I still miss it and would love another.

Hah, I bought a CX500 as a hack to preserve my much-beloved GS650GZ Katana from the chore of despatching. The CX was a bloody liability, was never really reliable, and the Kat ended up being used & abused for courier work... not a criticism of the CX (although they had much to criticise), I must have got a bad one. Years later I got to ride a mate's CX years fairly regularly over in Germany, it was still top-heavy and fugly but did at least behave properly & was reliable. I'd have another as a laugh, but not as some hipster shrine to inappropriate café-racering or suchlike.

martc, on 04 Oct 2018 - 7:54 PM, said:

CX500 chat - I had a Moto Guzzi V50 in the 80's, during the time when CX500's ruled the world. I must admit to feeling a little smug and slightly superior at the time

Nowadays I'm a big fan of Hondas of all ages. It's a strange old world isn't it?

Me too, I had a V50 Monza in the '80s. It was smoll.

• martc likes this

Never knowingly under-ambitious

'99 Land Rover Discovery ES V8

'97 Land Rover Discovery 300 TDi

'94 Vauxhall Calibra V6
'91 Maserati 222 SE

'88 Yamaha XJ900F

'86 Honda CBX 750F
'82 Suzuki GSX1100SZ Katana

#5138 OFFLINE   bolognasal spray

bolognasal spray

• Full Members
  • 379 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 05 October 2018 - 02:01 AM

Thought it was about time I actually showed you hairy lot some of my bike shite.....

Here's my CB400N - Currently in custody of daddy stinkwheel, who needed something to ride as his velocette is currently broken.

attachicon.gifIMG_9070.JPG

My current TDR250 (I confess I've owned 4 of these over the last 22 years. I like them a lot. In fact I have a bit of a thing for old Yamaha strokers in general. I blame the fizzie I had when 16 and the RD125LC that replaced it.

Anyway, here's the TDR

attachicon.gifTDR2.jpg

As usual with 2nd hand 2 strokes, when I got it, it needed some remedial work.attachicon.gifTDR1.jpg

Oh and this thing is hiding away in the garage, been off the road about 6 years, but will return sooner or later.

attachicon.gifIMAG0279.jpg

For my sins I worked in a bike dealership from age 16 to 21 and hence had a good selection of stuff to ride, in the intervening 20 years I've owned countless more. But I think im fairly settled with what is here now (famous last words)

I love those TDRs. Super motos before super motos. My mate had a tzr at the time - great fun. Our other mate had the rd350 ypvs. That was king - but the tzr wasn't far off.

2004 Focus “Edge” (1.8 pezzer)

2009 Focus estate (1.8 pezzer)

2000 zx9r C2

2006 Honda IZY HRG 416 PK

1997 cb500

2011 klx 250

2009 Renault Master (diseasil)

#5139 ONLINE   Stinkwheel

Stinkwheel

• Full Members
  • 169 posts
  • 4 thanks

Posted 05 October 2018 - 04:59 AM

I love those TDRs. Super motos before super motos. My mate had a tzr at the time - great fun. Our other mate had the rd350 ypvs. That was king - but the tzr wasn't far off.

Ah yes, the days when I had a Taymar tuned RD350 YPVS ex race bike and my mates had LC's TZR's etc - fun, if a little silly days.

The TZR was a great bike, but I always found the TDR easier to go quicker on. They were indeed a supermoto before supermotos. If they had been launched  4 or 5 years later they would probably still be making a version of them now, but instead they were a gone in a few model years rarity.

• yellowperil likes this

#5140 OFFLINE   Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

GM free since 89

• Full Members
  • 6,929 posts
  • 46 thanks

Posted 05 October 2018 - 06:18 AM

Hah, I bought a CX500 as a hack to preserve my much-beloved GS650GZ Katana from the chore of despatching. The CX was a bloody liability, was never really reliable, and the Kat ended up being used & abused for courier work... not a criticism of the CX (although they had much to criticise), I must have got a bad one. Years later I got to ride a mate's CX years fairly regularly over in Germany, it was still top-heavy and fugly but did at least behave properly & was reliable.

It’s like the Volvo I have, their reputation is superb but that doesn’t mean an individual one won’t need a shed load of work. My CX was with me three years, to my embarrassment it never even had an oil change, and went from 70,000 ish to well over 100,000 miles. It was cleaned once a year before the MoT, ridden in all weathers and never ever missed a beat. In terms of handling I loved it, the foot legs were well worn away. I still don’t know if this was down the the bike or the fact I didn’t really care about it so was happy to just chuck it into any corner as fast as I could. I sold it for the exact same money I paid and had more calls about it than any other bike or car have ever sold. At the time I had a CBR600 (amazing all rounder but sooooooo boring) and a VFR750FG (another bike I would love another of) but still miss the CX the most.

#5141 OFFLINE   Nyphur

Nyphur

hooptie life

• Full Members
  • 3,577 posts
  • 54 thanks

Posted 05 October 2018 - 09:39 AM

Looks like part of 11051A in this diagram.

https://www.fowlersp...master-cylinder

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

There should be one bolted to each forkleg guiding the brake hose.

Ordered for a tenner from my local Kawasaki dealer. Thanks again for the help.

ETA: now that I look it's nothing to do with the forks, it attaches to the brake fluid reservoir to keep a couple of cables tidy. I think it's been missing since I've had the bike as 1) it's right next to the ignition and I can't remember ever seeing it in place (and it sticks out like a sore thumb) and 2) the point at which it's broken is rusty. Still, easily fixed :)

#5142 ONLINE   andy18s

andy18s

• Full Members
  • 3,481 posts
  • 14 thanks

Posted 07 October 2018 - 10:02 AM

Spotted on a facebook page
one for the ladies?

Attached Images

• Screenshot_20181007-072258.png

• pbottomley and Hooli like this
Soobaaarooo Legacy for the awd fun
XT600z Tenere for the off road fun
Happy trails....

#5143 OFFLINE   doug

doug

• Full Members
  • 603 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • LocationScotland

Posted 07 October 2018 - 01:33 PM

Spotted in Peebles today.

DSCN0495.JPG

DSCN0503.JPG

• Fat_Pirate, Stinkwheel and Hooli like this

#5144 OFFLINE   yellowperil

yellowperil

• Full Members
  • 208 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 07 October 2018 - 03:55 PM

A Ner-A-Car!
I have never seen one on the road.

#5145 OFFLINE   twosmoke300

twosmoke300

• Full Members
  • 9,352 posts
  • 64 thanks
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 07 October 2018 - 05:10 PM

That’s my enduro season finished . Awesome time card race today ! Need to keep riding this winter tho
  • andy18s and brandersnatch like this

One of the funniest things ive read on here - RIP Dave

Brilliant... late in for lunch I fired up an off-brand pot noodle and while carrying it to the lounge successfully spilled it all over myself, burned the piss out of my hand, soaked my phone with the juice, soaked a load of expense receipts I was also carrying and it hit the hall floor and just fucking exploded....it was literally dripping from the ceiling in my newly decorated hallway. The obvious and considered reaction was to throw an immediate, massive paddy and boot the fucker down the hall while screaming, which has made the whole scenario about 18 times worse.

#5146 OFFLINE   gtd2000

gtd2000

• Full Members
  • 2,448 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationWithin 12,000 Miles from Galashiels

Posted 11 October 2018 - 07:54 PM

Well I was out for a blast on my trusty Kawasaki Zephyr 550 yesterday.

Filled up the tank and headed off via Coldstream to Berwick upon Tweed. Half way to Berwick, I had the thought that my fuel gauge must be playing up...hmm The tank was showing half full...

MG3GEL3.jpg

Arrived in Berwick and the tank was almost empty, couldn't understand that because the bike gets around 60mpg and I should have used less than a gallon to get there...

Next stop was for some Fish n Chips at Foulis, stopped outside the shop and smelled petrol, looked down and there was a pitter patter of petrol...rode the bike further along the street. Petrol was pissing out somewhere in the middle of the carbs. Assumed it was a stuck float and rode back up to Tesco, to fill up.

Tank filled up - bombed back up the road to Scotland and watched the needle slowly creep towards empty...

7 miles from home...arsehole bike!

3mE9Ouk.jpg

Call Carole Nash for assistance they say they will send a recovery vehicle to take my bike home directly - 45 minutes later, a recovery truck arrives - guy has no clue about motorcycles...advised that he must request recovery from his boss. I explain recovery was requested immediately, I ask how long it will take to get recovery - says 15 mins. After 15 mins no sign of the truck so I call the recovery people who advise they should be there within 30 mins... I should mention the recovery people are a 15 minute walk from my location.....

After well over an hour (90 mins or so) we are almost ready to get on the road and back to the house

PVX1fsQ.jpg

The recovery lads were very decent but this could have been the easiest recovery available....

Back at the house I decide to have a cuppa before the assumption that I'm going to be removing a bank of carbs and stripping them down. I've got better things to do but needs must and all that jazz.

Seat off, tank removed...Ahah!

What's the non-Japanese contamination under here squashed above the carbs...

aCYslt7.jpg

The previous owner had obviously fitted (with good intentions) an inline filter but the way it had been crammed in didn't do it any favours but the bend had put pressure on the jubilee clip and as I found out - that;;s a very quick way to empty a tank!

All the gubbins removed and the orginal factory setup restored!

QPsHSaP.jpg

Thankfully no need to remove and strip down the carbs!

• They_all_do_that_sir and Hooli like this
Tell it like it is...NOT how it should be ;)

#5147 OFFLINE   hairnet

hairnet

• Full Members
  • 9,011 posts
  • 15 thanks

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:09 PM

can haz leak :(

fuel tap

#5148 OFFLINE   gtd2000

gtd2000

• Full Members
  • 2,448 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:28 PM

After being out for a few runs on my '86 GSX-R750, the handling ability of the Zephyr is significantly less reassuring!

I didn't buy the Zephyr with any high speed aspirations but the sure footed handling of the almost 10 years older GSX-R750 is far more confidence inspiring.

So far, the Zephyr ticks the boxes for aesthetics and general comfort but the old Gixxer power delivery and handling soon make you realise that looks arn't everything :)

Gguv4AE.jpg

VSrVVfC.jpg

0lSErH8.jpg

D3KYy4J.jpg

• Fat_Pirate, Dave_Q and Hooli like this

#5149 OFFLINE   gtd2000

gtd2000

• Full Members
  • 2,448 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:29 PM

can haz leak :(

fuel tap

If only I'd taken a couple of spanners and a flat-head screw driver I could have fixed this in 5 mins.

I'll know next time for sure!

I actually thought it was a sticky float and I was losing fuel that way, half anticipated it clearing itself on the way back up the road.

80 miles and 6 gallons of fuel...oops.

Curiously, I ran out of fuel with the tap set to main tank, when I turned the tap upwards to reserve there was bugger all left...should really have called for assistance in Berwick and had fish n chips while I waited for the recovery... Lessons learned and all that!

#5150 OFFLINE   They_all_do_that_sir

They_all_do_that_sir

• Full Members
  • 2,627 posts
  • 13 thanks
  • LocationBelfast

Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:07 PM

After being out for a few runs on my '86 GSX-R750, the handling ability of the Zephyr is significantly less reassuring!

I didn't buy the Zephyr with any high speed aspirations but the sure footed handling of the almost 10 years older GSX-R750 is far more confidence inspiring.

So far, the Zephyr ticks the boxes for aesthetics and general comfort but the old Gixxer power delivery and handling soon make you realise that looks arn't everything :)

https://i.imgur.com/Gguv4AE.jpg...

https://i.imgur.com/VSrVVfC.jpg...

https://i.imgur.com/0lSErH8.jpg...

https://i.imgur.com/D3KYy4J.jpg...

That's not the standard front end on the GSXR tho, USDs?

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

2003 W203 C200 Kompressor

2004 Skoda Roomster

1998 Kawasaki ZZR1100

19?? Honda CB200 Twin

1988 Honda NE50 Vision

#5151 OFFLINE   gtd2000

gtd2000

• Full Members
  • 2,448 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:29 PM

That's not the standard front end on the GSXR tho, USDs?

Yeah it's a later GSX-R set from the early 1990's I believe.

It was going to be a full on Streetfighter but I liked the look of the standard rear end at the time and just stuck with it.

I already had a Cagiva Mito seat unit to fit.

#5152 OFFLINE   SierraMikeHotel

SierraMikeHotel

• Full Members
  • 1,480 posts
  • 30 thanks

Posted 12 October 2018 - 10:50 AM

I've decided to sell the moped. I'm really fond of it but I just don't have a use for it: it only ever goes to the MoT centre.

I've given first refusal to the friend that I bought it from and he's thinking about it. He has the same problem that I do: loves the bike but it would never get used.

I am keen for it to go to an enthusiast and not be ragged around, but I think it would benefit from being used.

1985 Honda Vision, approx 3800 miles, MoT in April. Good condition overall but a few scratches and bumps in the plastic fairing. I don't really know what they're worth, maybe £200? Located in Lewes, East Sussex.

Waiting to hear back from my friend but I thought I'd see if there's any interest on here in case he doesn't want it.
  • Fabergé Greggs and Nyphur like this

#5153 OFFLINE   Jerzy Woking

Jerzy Woking

• Full Members
  • 1,164 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • LocationNorth Essex

Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:20 AM

I need another moped like a hole in the head.

Any photos?

2005 Saab 9-5 with 300 bhp thanks to Noobtune, Abbott and Maptun.
1999 Mingebag Mercedes, given up on it, so SOLD

1994 Citroen AX Dimension, my winter bike. SOLD.

#5154 OFFLINE   Nyphur

Nyphur

hooptie life

• Full Members
  • 3,577 posts
  • 54 thanks

Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:23 AM

If it was Spring I'd have it like a shot. But I don't really want to buy it then leave it under a bike cover over autumn/winter outside - doubt it'd do it much good :(

#5155 OFFLINE   SierraMikeHotel

SierraMikeHotel

• Full Members
  • 1,480 posts
  • 30 thanks

Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:49 AM

I'll stick up a for sale thread with photos if my friend doesn't want it back.

#5156 OFFLINE   Fabergé Greggs

Fabergé Greggs

• Full Members
  • 1,465 posts
  • 13 thanks
  • LocationThat London

Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:56 AM

I've decided to sell the moped. I'm really fond of it but I just don't have a use for it: it only ever goes to the MoT centre.

I've given first refusal to the friend that I bought it from and he's thinking about it. He has the same problem that I do: loves the bike but it would never get used.

I am keen for it to go to an enthusiast and not be ragged around, but I think it would benefit from being used.

1985 Honda Vision, approx 3800 miles, MoT in April. Good condition overall but a few scratches and bumps in the plastic fairing. I don't really know what they're worth, maybe £200? Located in Lewes, East Sussex.

Waiting to hear back from my friend but I thought I'd see if there's any interest on here in case he doesn't want it.

I LOVE these. Yes please.
  • SierraMikeHotel likes this

#5157 OFFLINE   plasticvandan

plasticvandan

• Full Members
  • 2,292 posts
  • 4 thanks

Posted 13 October 2018 - 09:38 AM

Would there be any interest in my K75 flying brick?I'm finding it a bit big and heavy for me (I'm 11st wet through!) and feel safer on my ikkle MZ.it's an 89 K75,67k,mot until next March.New Avon tyre on the frint,just changed fork seals,added gaiters,New plugs,air filter,oil and filter and general service /grease up. Starts on the button and is turbine smooth to ride.but tatty round the edges but could tart up if that's your thing,or press straight into WBOD mode.comes with optional BMW screen.£700 ono?
FB_IMG_1538166927901.jpg
IMG_20180930_172611.jpg
  • Stinkwheel and Eddie Honda like this

#5158 ONLINE   Stinkwheel

Stinkwheel

• Full Members
  • 169 posts
  • 4 thanks

Posted 13 October 2018 - 10:03 AM

If I had 700 quid I would bite your hand off. I have a real soft spot for these ever since I had a long term borrow from my old work.
I see it also has the low seat option. That’s rare.

#5159 OFFLINE   They_all_do_that_sir

They_all_do_that_sir

• Full Members
  • 2,627 posts
  • 13 thanks
  • LocationBelfast

Posted 13 October 2018 - 12:33 PM

That's a bargain at that price!!

2003 W203 C200 Kompressor

2004 Skoda Roomster

1998 Kawasaki ZZR1100