The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

Found some-productive time today between breakfast and afternoon kip (I love Saturdays when there is zippo to do) anyway, I had needed to have a look at the trike and fit the new screen.

It maybe a bit much Orange I cannot decide?

30052742167_07a2db8414_c.jpgWP_20180929_13_08_35_Pro by paul.bottomley, on Flickr

44939970892_2f9a378ab5_c.jpgWP_20180929_13_46_28_Pro by paul.bottomley, on Flickr

I've purchased many a high mileage bike, and never had any major issues. I've had a few that I took to well over 100,000 - Fireblade bought at 75,000, sold at 120,000 plus (it had a erratic speedo) and a GSX-R750 I took from 25,000 to 180,000 before it was written off by a Transit.

I really like auto bikes, and the Honda is good - not as much fun as the Aprilia Mana, the CVT box on that was awesome (twist 'n go, but with a thumb AND a foot change) but what a fuck ugly bike! Really surprised that auto's haven't caught on with bikes - why not?

hi miles dont scare me - bought bike with 100k on it before

this one had hi miles for the age of it

unsure about auto for long term rather than just half hour test ride.............

Tempted to sell the ZZR1100 and get something 600 and naked.

Obviously worst time of the year to sell, it's cosmetically challenged and is a bit lumpy at idle. Carbs def overdue a proper fettling.

It goes like a stabbed rat and has a few decent bits on it mind.

It's probably close to bottom of the market for a running MOT'd example in my eyes but it's hard to gauge a price.

£1500 I imagine would probably buy a nicer one, if I got north of a grand I'd probably be over the moon. Less than a grand I'd probably just keep it.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

I should go back to biking.

Or rather it's posts like this that have me thinking about it.

Thought it was about time I actually showed you hairy lot some of my bike shite.....

Here's my CB400N - Currently in custody of daddy stinkwheel, who needed something to ride as his velocette is currently broken.

post-17470-0-98271600-1538645571_thumb.jpg

My current TDR250 (I confess I've owned 4 of these over the last 22 years. I like them a lot. In fact I have a bit of a thing for old Yamaha strokers in general. I blame the fizzie I had when 16 and the RD125LC that replaced it.

Anyway, here's the TDR

post-17470-0-66944800-1538645741_thumb.jpg

As usual with 2nd hand 2 strokes, when I got it, it needed some remedial work.post-17470-0-37891800-1538645776_thumb.jpg

Oh and this thing is hiding away in the garage, been off the road about 6 years, but will return sooner or later.

post-17470-0-98854300-1538645873_thumb.jpg

For my sins I worked in a bike dealership from age 16 to 21 and hence had a good selection of stuff to ride, in the intervening 20 years I've owned countless more. But I think im fairly settled with what is here now (famous last words)

:shock:

Only on this site could someone refer to a CX500 as beautiful.

They are one of my favourite bikes, I have had all sorts including GSXR1100s, fireblades, Buell, etc etc and I don’t miss any of them like my old CX, I bought it when I was a student for the cliche role of courier in the summer. I had it three years and used it for courier I got in the summer and as a winter hack. You could chuck round any corner in the summer and warm you hands on the cylinder heads in the winter. I still miss it and would love another.

They are one of my favourite bikes, I have had all sorts including GSXR1100s, fireblades, Buell, etc etc and I don’t miss any of them like my old CX, I bought it when I was a student for the cliche role of courier in the summer. I had it three years and used it for courier I got in the summer and as a winter hack. You could chuck round any corner in the summer and warm you hands on the cylinder heads in the winter. I still miss it and would love another.

I reckon you'd be happy with a honda 50 at the moment.... :mrgreen:  Sorry !

Tamworthbay, on 04 Oct 2018 - 4:35 PM, said:

Hah, I bought a CX500 as a hack to preserve my much-beloved GS650GZ Katana from the chore of despatching. The CX was a bloody liability, was never really reliable, and the Kat ended up being used & abused for courier work... not a criticism of the CX (although they had much to criticise), I must have got a bad one. Years later I got to ride a mate's CX years fairly regularly over in Germany, it was still top-heavy and fugly but did at least behave properly & was reliable. I'd have another as a laugh, but not as some hipster shrine to inappropriate café-racering or suchlike.

martc, on 04 Oct 2018 - 7:54 PM, said:

CX500 chat - I had a Moto Guzzi V50 in the 80's, during the time when CX500's ruled the world. I must admit to feeling a little smug and slightly superior at the time

Nowadays I'm a big fan of Hondas of all ages. It's a strange old world isn't it?

Me too, I had a V50 Monza in the '80s. It was smoll.

Thought it was about time I actually showed you hairy lot some of my bike shite.....

Here's my CB400N - Currently in custody of daddy stinkwheel, who needed something to ride as his velocette is currently broken.

attachicon.gifIMG_9070.JPG

My current TDR250 (I confess I've owned 4 of these over the last 22 years. I like them a lot. In fact I have a bit of a thing for old Yamaha strokers in general. I blame the fizzie I had when 16 and the RD125LC that replaced it.

Anyway, here's the TDR

attachicon.gifTDR2.jpg

As usual with 2nd hand 2 strokes, when I got it, it needed some remedial work.attachicon.gifTDR1.jpg

Oh and this thing is hiding away in the garage, been off the road about 6 years, but will return sooner or later.

attachicon.gifIMAG0279.jpg

For my sins I worked in a bike dealership from age 16 to 21 and hence had a good selection of stuff to ride, in the intervening 20 years I've owned countless more. But I think im fairly settled with what is here now (famous last words)

I love those TDRs. Super motos before super motos. My mate had a tzr at the time - great fun. Our other mate had the rd350 ypvs. That was king - but the tzr wasn't far off.

I love those TDRs. Super motos before super motos. My mate had a tzr at the time - great fun. Our other mate had the rd350 ypvs. That was king - but the tzr wasn't far off.

Ah yes, the days when I had a Taymar tuned RD350 YPVS ex race bike and my mates had LC's TZR's etc - fun, if a little silly days.

The TZR was a great bike, but I always found the TDR easier to go quicker on. They were indeed a supermoto before supermotos. If they had been launched  4 or 5 years later they would probably still be making a version of them now, but instead they were a gone in a few model years rarity.

Hah, I bought a CX500 as a hack to preserve my much-beloved GS650GZ Katana from the chore of despatching. The CX was a bloody liability, was never really reliable, and the Kat ended up being used & abused for courier work... not a criticism of the CX (although they had much to criticise), I must have got a bad one. Years later I got to ride a mate's CX years fairly regularly over in Germany, it was still top-heavy and fugly but did at least behave properly & was reliable.

It’s like the Volvo I have, their reputation is superb but that doesn’t mean an individual one won’t need a shed load of work. My CX was with me three years, to my embarrassment it never even had an oil change, and went from 70,000 ish to well over 100,000 miles. It was cleaned once a year before the MoT, ridden in all weathers and never ever missed a beat. In terms of handling I loved it, the foot legs were well worn away. I still don’t know if this was down the the bike or the fact I didn’t really care about it so was happy to just chuck it into any corner as fast as I could. I sold it for the exact same money I paid and had more calls about it than any other bike or car have ever sold. At the time I had a CBR600 (amazing all rounder but sooooooo boring) and a VFR750FG (another bike I would love another of) but still miss the CX the most.