The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

until you try them, it's hard to believe how much better the ergos are with those chinese 'cnc' levers. i fitted them to every bike ive had in the last 10 years, where they are available. They are so much nicer/easier/comfortable to operate than the curved cast-ally fitted as standard. The ones i ordered were actually plain metal, but china sent me 'gold' so thats what went on.

I've a set of chinese CNC levers on the ZZR. They've held up well, only issue being the brake lever has slightly discoloured, but I think that's more to do with where I park the bike, in direct sunlight on one side all day

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

Went to the abandoned Bihac airbase on the Croatio/Bosnia border today. It was communist Europe's largest airbase at the time. It is huge, and has three underground hangers built into the mountainside post-19526-0-51865800-1535404833_thumb.jpg

Lots of warnings to say not to go in any further than 100m because of the dangers of gas-the network of hangers go on for 3.5 one. We needed a good torch as there are massive holes in the concrete floors.

Better still are the two runways, both are 1.5 kilometers long and still well surfaced. Well surfaced enough to speed test the bikes.

post-19526-0-77534300-1535405117_thumb.jpg

Just sorted my lad out with his first bike. He'd been sending me links for Lexmoto's and Wangye's, so I steered him quite forcibly and made him buy this (with Dad paying the extra of course!). Now I'm jealous and want a shot. Will be heading down to Cornwall next month, and he's been warned it better be shining like a new pin!

post-62-0-23619700-1535480732_thumb.jpg

Hard to believe he's old enough to hit the streets legally, only seems like yesterday he had stabilisers on his wee BMX.

post-62-0-18471400-1535480820_thumb.jpg

My bike made it home today so once I got back from work & stripped it down & traced the fault. I think this would explain the lack of charging...

post-20217-0-83340600-1535572510_thumb.jpg

It looked ok when I took the side cover off the engine, but as soon as I unbolted it to lift it out the wire fell off.

Blimey Hooli, I didn't realise your bike was still broken.  Did the breakdown company even attempt to fix it?

No that wasn't covered in the policy. Just recovery to a garage where I could pay for a fix and recovery home if that didn't happen (subject to some stupid rules). I wasn't paying a dealer €800 that they quoted to replace bits till it was fixed when I knew it'd be a lot cheaper than that. I've found a place that'll rewind this for £85 but I'm going to ask a local place too as it'll save waiting on postage both ways.

What reg/rec is it running Hooli? Do they suffer with reg/rec or wiring issues?

I recently put one of these el cheapo MOSFET jobs on my SV including modding the wiring so it goes direct to battery rather than through the loom.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-SHINDENGEN-MOSFET-FH020AA-Regulator-Rectifier-Upgrade-Kit-Replaces-FH020AA/323047820334?epid=21010674327&hash=item4b37268c2e:g:b1AAAOSwwjRadB3n

Before with the old shunt style reg it was charging at about 12.8v, dropping as revs went up. Now it has 14+V all the time and runs much cooler. 

Lots of 80s/90s/00s bikes have similar issues, when the reg/rec goes it can take out the stator as the high resistance of the shitty overcomplicated wiring looms means it can be overloaded.

You don't want to replace it and have it go again if the root cause is the reg/rec or wiring.

Hmm. Don't see why you can't run directly off it but electricity is not my strong point. I guess it just outputs 14v DC and it probably doesn't matter whether its across a battery or direct to a load? Note that I offer no guarantee that you won't be on fire if you try it.

It's basically the same as any other 5 wire reg/rec that works with a 3-phase stator, so 3 wires to the stator and +/- which I've connected directly to the battery on mine.

This style is the OEM fitment on newer bikes, but commonly used as an upgrade for bikes with reg/rec issues.

What reg/rec is it running Hooli? Do they suffer with reg/rec or wiring issues?

I recently put one of these el cheapo MOSFET jobs on my SV including modding the wiring so it goes direct to battery rather than through the loom.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-SHINDENGEN-MOSFET-FH020AA-Regulator-Rectifier-Upgrade-Kit-Replaces-FH020AA/323047820334?epid=21010674327&hash=item4b37268c2e:g:b1AAAOSwwjRadB3n

Before with the old shunt style reg it was charging at about 12.8v, dropping as revs went up. Now it has 14+V all the time and runs much cooler. 

Lots of 80s/90s/00s bikes have similar issues, when the reg/rec goes it can take out the stator as the high resistance of the shitty overcomplicated wiring looms means it can be overloaded.

You don't want to replace it and have it go again if the root cause is the reg/rec or wiring.

Reg/recs are known to fail but it's not that common on these.

I've checked the reg/rec & it tests fine, the damage on the loom appears to be from when the stator died it shorted to earth & burnt the multiplug where it connects to the loom.

So I fitted my nice refurbished calipers, and I still can't get a proper firm lever, it gets halfway to the bar before it gets any proper firmness....and with moderate pressure it can touch the bar. Not great.

Will have one more go at bleeding it before I declare defeat.

Went to replace the rear pads and that caliper is fairly shagged as well so I've new seals to go on that too before I can get out again....

Any tips on bleeding??

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

A big syringe.

Fill the system slowly from the bleed nipple, it's much easier to get the air out the lines that way. Or suck the fluid out with the syringe, that's what I normally do (as I can't find the right size tube to do the other).

Either way it seems to get the air out much much easier. Bleeding my front brakes has gone from hours of swearing to 10-15mins of topping fluid up while using a syringe.

Bikes just loaded onto the train at Innesbruck after riding here from Most na Soci in Slovenia. Had to cut through Italy on the SS49. This has to be the most hateful road in Europe-avoid at all costs!

Will wake up in Dusseldorf in the morning, and home in the evening. I'll check mileage covered when I get home tomorrow.

Bikes just loaded onto the train at Innesbruck after riding here from Most na Soci in Slovenia. Had to cut through Italy on the SS49. This has to be the most hateful road in Europe-avoid at all costs!

Will wake up in Dusseldorf in the morning, and home in the evening. I'll check mileage covered when I get home tomorrow.

I've rode the Pustertal. It's not one of the highlights of the Italian Alps. I spent most of the time overtaking germans in ponced-up BMWs, Romanian trucks avoiding Austria's truck curfew thing and Tirolean farmers on tractors doing 20kmh.