The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

Yick. I'm no fan of the sight, sound or image of Harley Davidsons, but that one is particularly pointless and hideous.

People buy GS' so there's no accounting for taste. As grim as it is, I'm quite impressed with HD, they've spotted there is an upcoming issue with a real aging demographic and are trying new ideas. Their electric prototypes look interesting and something I can see working.

I'm no fan of Hardly Dangerouses either but that adventure one looks quite good (apart from the hideous headlight) because it doesn't look like a Hardly Dangerous.

I wonder if they will ditch the light once they start producing them? GS's are 'orrible bloated things and probably more hog than this hog. I'm not in the market for an adventure bike, but I'd put the HD well ahead of a GS on my mythical list (the new Africa Twin is at the top).

Guest Hooli

Apart from the headlight I think it looks ok for an adventure bike. It's just it appears to be wearing a cylon mask.

I don’t even mind the headlight that much.

I used to hate HD’s, but after spending a while in the Texan gas guzzling heartland of excess I could start to see the appeal. Having said that, back to London and zipping around on the Vespa felt like home...

I don't find that HD particularly bad, there's enough hideous looking "transformer" bikes on the roads these days that are far less attractive.

Perhaps I'm biased, as there's not much beyond the early 80's that's particularly attractive, unless it's a retro inspired machine.

Guest Hooli

I got the route finished last night, all hotels and ferries booked leaving Dover at 4am this saturday. Just need the tour pass for the toll roads in Austria now as it's cheaper online. Oh & do an oil & filter change on the bike.

14 days doing around 3k miles & getting as far away as Bled glacial lake in Slovenia. Can't wait.

Oh yeah & my tomtom hasn't arrived yet! but it is due today according to ebay.

I got the route finished last night, all hotels and ferries booked leaving Dover at 4am this saturday. Just need the tour pass for the toll roads in Austria now as it's cheaper online. Oh & do an oil & filter change on the bike.

14 days doing around 3k miles & getting as far away as Bled glacial lake in Slovenia. Can't wait.

Oh yeah & my tomtom hasn't arrived yet! but it is due today according to ebay.

Have a great trip matey. I love riding in the mountains. I’m a bit envious

One’s too many, ten’s not enough!

I wandered to the Honda motorbike shop, they had a Monkey.

It's not as cool as the MSX, but it looks like fun.

Ive done the MSX ( its OK, but meh) and have now got the horn for a step-thru again. There is a yellow one on the Bay that I utterly love but thankfully I have insufficient ££ at the moment.

may be selling my bike..

My MOJO has decided to get lower than a snakes ass, and I just can't get my ass into gear 

info is 

2010 Skygo SG400 (Lifan LF400) xv535 clone

uprated exhausts and carbs jetted to suit

99.99% of parts are interchangeable with the xv535

has leather panniers and tool roll to go with it..

also Clymer manual, really expensive £9 chinese alarm inc with sale too along with decent chain and lock and alarmed disklock

will come with rear tyre, and new grips

MOT is due to run out next week....

full tank of petrol..

starts and runs 100% 

if my situation was better I would keep it and Trike it..

AS it was when played with By Hogfather in Southport.....the rest are as it stands now

38793838_2094069913950638_23385181669189

38776715_2094069953950634_16390208351067

38652763_2094070320617264_76005427001730

38774882_2094071273950502_31740716015828

38672538_2094071317283831_89010703508638

This cost me £800, plus the other bits n bobs 

BUT

will accept £700 cash

or possible trade on mid size van or dizzel auto estate (or saloon/hatch)

based in W mids, no way of delivering so collection only

postcode is DY5 4LP for distance checks

Had a decent test ride on the new KTM 790. Why the hell did I do that? It is amazing - has "cornering ABS" a quick shifter (up and down the gearbox) and an amazing array of changeable engine maps and traction control. Although it is a parallel twin it feels like a V-twin. 

Just as well I'm going on holiday on Saturday, otherwise I think I may have signed on the dotted line for one......

Anyone ding the "Ride To The Wall" on 6th October? My mates neighbour leads one of the groups there, so thought I'd support it this year as will be around for once.

Yes - I must dig out my booking stuff...

M5 NB Strenshaw Services start point - anyone else going/meet?

I've perhaps foolishly volunteered help a friend remove the engine from his GSX-R1000 (it's burnt a valve).  Any tips for this job?  Would it be better to partially strip the bike and lay it on it's side?  It's a 2002ish if that has any bearing on it.  

I've perhaps foolishly volunteered help a friend remove the engine from his GSX-R1000 (it's burnt a valve). Any tips for this job? Would it be better to partially strip the bike and lay it on it's side? It's a 2002ish if that has any bearing on it.

No it wouldn't as there'll be something one the side you have laid it down on that will need undoing, do it on a paddock or an abba stand.

It's only a few hours work they are simple things, battery out, tank and air box off, radiator off, undo clutch and throttle cables and disconnect all electrical plugs, remove rear wheel, drop engine, don't forget to undo the front sprocket nut first whilst the bike is on its wheels unless you have a rattle gun to buzz it off.

How's it going?

Yeah....

See the grump thread for details but the short version is the rear tyre delaminated by Tuesday and then burst on an Italian motorway. A mate in Switzerland rescued me from the breakdown and i lost a day getting a tyre.

Then Saturday the stator burnt out so it stopped on the Slovenian border with no electric. Since then my breakdown cover has been spectacularly shit and they've not even managed to get a mechanic to look at it and agree with me.

Not great basicly.

Now I my 11th country since Saturday (UK, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Italy, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and now in Montenegro).

Was doing well weather wise until I entered Montenegro from Bosnia earlier this afternoon, when it started to piss soon-been raining non stop since.

Hope it stops overnight as meeting up with a mate in Prizren, Kosovo tomorrow afternoon, and having a couple of days off the bike before Harding off th Albania for 6 days. Guzzi been as good as ever.

i've just got back from doing 2k mile around France. Enjoyed the massif, it has some decent roads. Even had 2 days of beach holiday-style chill on the Med.

Gotta love bike touring at 11am this morning i was stood at the top of the Eiffel tower, by 2030 i was back home. NC faultless, although my tyres are knackered, needs an oil change and is thick with grime.

Yeah....

See the grump thread for details but the short version is the rear tyre delaminated by Tuesday and then burst on an Italian motorway. A mate in Switzerland rescued me from the breakdown and i lost a day getting a tyre.

Then Saturday the stator burnt out so it stopped on the Slovenian border with no electric. Since then my breakdown cover has been spectacularly shit and they've not even managed to get a mechanic to look at it and agree with me.

Not great basicly.

what bike?

I had the tyre Hairnet kindly hand delivered to me fitted to my front wheel. My ZZR on a shoestring was ready to go back on the road again.

Or so I thought....

Had a look at the front calipers , and deduced that my crap brakes are as a result of only three out of eight pistons (twin four pots) actually moving.

Bumhats. Passed MOT like that too! I'd noticed the brakes getting progressively worse last year, and when I put the bike away over winter thought I'd sort it then.... And forgot....

Calipers are off and stripped, I'll assess the condition of the pistons then order rebuild kits....

May as well paint them while they are off.

Last year I done almost 5000 miles, this year 200 including going to the test centre . Not likely to go up significantly either as I tend to SORN the bike from October /November onwards....

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk