The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

Guest Hooli

Funny the same thing was suggested on another forum too, but no the movement was between the wheel & swingarm & the clunk from the rear axle area.

Good call though.

Look closer at the diagram. it unbolts in front of the engine & at the top of the down tube & back near the footrests. That whole section of frame comes out with about six bolts plus an engine mount for engine removal. Should be easy enough to get one from a breaker I'd have thought.

no its about the length of your hand across the two down frame rails behind the oil cooler

Guest Hooli

Yeah it looks like it's the same as mine where it comes out with the RH frame rail, I'm no expert on blandits though.

Yeah it looks like it's the same as mine where it comes out with the RH frame rail, I'm no expert on blandits though.

ahh fuck now thats clearer

hes gonna love that :D

ta

i said to him cooler off pipes off and get mobile gadge to sort it

Probably worth mentioning it to the dealer, the brakes should be pretty sharp.

It could be the pad compound, some of the more trackday oriented pads work best when hot, when riding on the road you probably won't be doing enough hard stops to keep them hot enough to work properly.

Kawa are going to give me a demo bike for the day while they sort mine out. Quite fancy a go on the Z900RS Cafe they do, something a bit different (see below), though it'll probably be a J125 Scoot knowing my luck :D Either way, a new experience.

My brother took his Yamaha Fazer 600 in for a service and was given one of those twin front wheel scooters for the day.  He was not amused.

anyone had a delkevic silencer?

I bought a black widow full system a while ago (listed as similar loudness to stock, which was bollocks then, they've since reworded it) to replace a rotten half motad system but its stupid loud and i feel a twat riding anywhere. It can be made even louder if I wanted to really but no quieter.

The downpipes are ok so was hopeful a minimal expense backbox with a decent baffle might not be a bad idea? Suzuki want £700 for an OEM replacement. a non-stainless motor factors one is about £150, delkevic circa £99?

anyone had a delkevic silencer?

I bought a black widow full system a while ago (listed as similar loudness to stock, which was bollocks then, they've since reworded it) to replace a rotten half motad system but its stupid loud and i feel a twat riding anywhere. It can be made even louder if I wanted to really but no quieter.

The downpipes are ok so was hopeful a minimal expense backbox with a decent baffle might not be a bad idea? Suzuki want £700 for an OEM replacement. a non-stainless motor factors one is about £150, delkevic circa £99?

i've got a delkevic on my NC. It's fine and well enough made to last for a good few years.

Got my bike booked in with Kawasaki on Tuesday for a service (am preparing the vaseline as we speak...). Going to get this first service and "health check" done by the dealer, then go it alone thereafter. 

Going to do the oil & filter, coolant, brake fluid, air filter, grease the head bearing and have a general gander around it for any issues.

I don't know if its just me, but despite having pretty much brand new pads/disks, the brakes seem pretty gash - hoping the new fluid sorts it out, or I  may be looking for an upgrade over winter ready for Spring.

In comparison to the Z650 I did my DAS on the stopping power really is lacking - though that was a 2017 plate bike, so 14 years progress since then might be all I'm noticing.

Absolutely loving it thus far though. Been out on it every day, and commuted on it a few times. Puts a huge grin on my face every time. Lots of positive feedback from others when sat at lights etc too :D

Have had to stop and have a word with myself once though, telling myself to stop thinking I'm James Hillier just because I'm on a green bike - and that I still know effectively fuck all about how to ride a bike quickly and safely. Confidence is slowly growing though - been looking into various options for extra training.

Kawa are going to give me a demo bike for the day while they sort mine out. Quite fancy a go on the Z900RS Cafe they do, something a bit different (see below), though it'll probably be a J125 Scoot knowing my luck :D Either way, a new experience.

18ZR900E_101GN1DRF1CG_A.png

I can highly recommend a day with the British Superbike School at Blyon in Lincolnshire. It's a trackday, but not really a trackday. three students to one instructor, no more that 12 bikes on the 1.6 mile circuit at a time. Instructors are brilliant, interested in getting you understand what your bike can do, and how you can ride better. Mixture of racers (some well known) and ACU race instructors, and they know how to instruct, not just how to ride around in front of you like some track day "Instructors" I've had with other track day com[anies.

To illustrate, there was a young woman there on a 900 Ducati Monster. Lived in London, worked in London, had commuted all year round to and from work. But had never encountered a bend before, which, watching her first few laps, was obvious-20mph at most-and I could see the fear in her eyes! By the end of the day she was much, much better, not just in her speed but in her understanding of the bike and her limits, if not the bikes.

Ive been half a dozen or so times now, and always learn something new

Guest Hooli

Got my bike booked in with Kawasaki on Tuesday for a service (am preparing the vaseline as we speak...). Going to get this first service and "health check" done by the dealer, then go it alone thereafter. 

Going to do the oil & filter, coolant, brake fluid, air filter, grease the head bearing and have a general gander around it for any issues.

I don't know if its just me, but despite having pretty much brand new pads/disks, the brakes seem pretty gash - hoping the new fluid sorts it out, or I  may be looking for an upgrade over winter ready for Spring.

In comparison to the Z650 I did my DAS on the stopping power really is lacking - though that was a 2017 plate bike, so 14 years progress since then might be all I'm noticing.

Absolutely loving it thus far though. Been out on it every day, and commuted on it a few times. Puts a huge grin on my face every time. Lots of positive feedback from others when sat at lights etc too :D

Have had to stop and have a word with myself once though, telling myself to stop thinking I'm James Hillier just because I'm on a green bike - and that I still know effectively fuck all about how to ride a bike quickly and safely. Confidence is slowly growing though - been looking into various options for extra training.

18ZR900E_101GN1DRF1CG_A.png

Agreed it could be the wrong pads, or just old ones that have glazed over with lack of use.

If you're getting all that done it's probably work getting the fork oil changed too as no one bothers & it's the biggest reason the front end doesn't work right. The oil is the damper, so without the front end grip is weak & it'll dive a lot when the brakes work. As they are getting to the head bearing they'll have done most of the work for it anyway so the extra labour shouldn't be more than a hour I'd have thought.

Can't tell if the exhaust has a DB killer or not. There is a screw that undoes but whatever it attaches to doesn't move at all. unless there is nothing there at all.

edit.

there is, i'm just weak and feeble...

A mate and I did a lap of Cymru today.

On the road early, we went up to Abergavenny, then along heads to Methyr and then over the Craven Arms pass. Up the A470. At Llanidloes we head towards Staylittle and did the high pass over the Forge Road.

We then went Machenlleth to Dolgellau and further up the A470. Across Snowdonia through Beddgelert (decent but expensive tea-shop) onto Capel Curig and then A5 to Llangollen (a quick detour up to Horseshoe Pass and Ponderosa for chips).

Back down via Oswestry, Welshpool, Newtown, Builth (forgot how good the rollercoaster from Newtown to Builth is, amazing on a day like today and pretty much national limit all of the way). Talgarth, Aber [again] then home.

I think i'm over 120 different mountain passes now, funny how it's taken me so long to do a couple of these.

Nyphur does it have the original brake hoses on it? One could be ballooning slightly under heavy use or they might just need a good bleeding? Have you tried the standard tactic of leaving the lever zip tied back to the bar overnight to see if any air shifts?

Otherwise you probably don't need mega bling race pads for road use if they are fitted. Genuine OE pads are sometimes surprisingly cheap, ask the dealer for a price on them out of interest - you should be able to haggle for money off on them too as there's a good discount for the supplying dealer on them.

A mate and I did a lap of Cymru today.

On the road early, we went up to Abergavenny, then along heads to Methyr and then over the Craven Arms pass. Up the A470. At Llanidloes we head towards Staylittle and did the high pass over the Forge Road.

We then went Machenlleth to Dolgellau and further up the A470. Across Snowdonia through Beddgelert (decent but expensive tea-shop) onto Capel Curig and then A5 to Llangollen (a quick detour up to Horseshoe Pass and Ponderosa for chips).

Back down via Oswestry, Welshpool, Newtown, Builth (forgot how good the rollercoaster from Newtown to Builth is, amazing on a day like today and pretty much national limit all of the way). Talgarth, Aber [again] then home.

I think i'm over 120 different mountain passes now, funny how it's taken me so long to do a couple of these.

You passed my, or vice - versa at some point I suspect, apart from the Bedgelert bIt.

Started from Bewdley...

Really should sort a ride-out/meet. Mind you. I ache now..should have bought the Blackbird :-D

Guest Hooli

Rode my 14 to work today, back end feels fine so guess I'll never know why the wheel went floppy last week.

Guest Hooli

Nope.

Besides it was a physical wobble between the wheel & swingarm that went clunk. yet everything was tight when I took it apart & it doesn't do it now it's back together.

Guest Hooli

I know small bikes like that exist for licence rules but your description of it is how I'd expect it to perform. The short gears are at least useful if it ever does leave tarmac.

The latest trio of bikes from France have been unpacked and now all on ebay. Prices are pretty high as I really want to get as much as possible for them, but if you are in no rush feel free to make insulting offers.

post-5515-0-70090800-1531232854_thumb.jpg

3 bikes a big cool box and camping gear can all fit in the back of the 806. I had to remove some foot pegs plus the front wheel and handle bars on the DR

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223054873310?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

post-5515-0-53314600-1531232968_thumb.jpg

The CB125 twin I am probably way too high with the price but you have to try.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223054883285?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

The 125DR the engine is probably toast but it has really good bodywork.

post-5515-0-01080200-1531233185_thumb.jpg

Finally the Solex this one actually runs and rides. They are well advanced for their day with shaft drive and a rear disc brake

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223054913348?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

post-5515-0-88653500-1531233293_thumb.jpg

Like I say they are priced high but I am open to offers, they are up for sale for a month then the prices will drop right down if they are still here. I will say that if I get the asking for all 3 then I will see a small profit on what it has cost to go over and buy them before anyone wonders what a brilliant money making scheme it is.