The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

The important question is who is more annoying? Them or the ones who say 'I'd get a bike but I'd kill myself'.

That's me. I last had a bike in 1988.

in 2002 i nearly bought a gsx750R to comute on but wrote off my car and thought it not a responsible thing to do with 2 kids and a wife to support.

Then the in 2016 I was really going to buy a bike. Something big enough to take my wife on the back of. Then she was diagnosed with slipped discs and fussed vertebrates and could hardly travel in the car so I wasn't going to be taking her on the back of a bike.

Now when I think about having a bike I'm thinking "if I died, who would take care of......my wife, my mum.....my cat etc "

proper cowardly I am

Guest Hooli

That's me. I last had a bike in 1988.

in 2002 i nearly bought a gsx750R to comute on but wrote off my car and thought it not a responsible thing to do with 2 kids and a wife to support.

Then the in 2016 I was really going to buy a bike. Something big enough to take my wife on the back of. Then she was diagnosed with slipped discs and fussed vertebrates and could hardly travel in the car so I wasn't going to be taking her on the back of a bike.

Now when I think about having a bike I'm thinking "if I died, who would take care of......my wife, my mum.....my cat etc "

proper cowardly I am

Nah that's different.

I thinking of the billy* bullshitters who've never sat on a bike but claim they'd ride like Mike Hailwood.

Using modern synthetic 2T oils seems to have made older 2 strokes much more reliable as have chrome bores. The only time I've seen engines apart recently is when a piston has broken a skirt or something similar from being left way too long before being changed.

In the old days you often used to see barrels with a smear of piston on them or badly scored pistons where they had nipped up at some point.

People now buying performance 2 strokes are probably less likely to take them to 12,000 rpm from cold too.

First things first, I know sweet-fuck-all about motorcycles. My mother told me that I was never to ride one of those god-awful contraptions and I have been a good son and done so.

Secondly, the origin of my Mum's dislike of bikes can be traced back to her Dad being involved in a serious motorbike accident that left him in hospital for 10 months. He never rode a bike again, but he did own and restore many bikes afterwards.

This leads me to the main purpose of this post. My dear Grandma has reminded me that my Grandpa's bike is still in the shed, It was the last bike he restored before his passing.

post-20795-0-20078900-1530348730_thumb.jpg

All I know is it is an AJS, as it is written all over it. IIRC he never got it running.

So, I am wondering if the Autoshite Motorcycle Massiv can help me out and provide me with some information about my Grandpa's bike.

Cheers.

First things first, I know sweet-fuck-all about motorcycles. My mother told me that I was never to ride one of those god-awful contraptions and I have been a good son and done so.

Secondly, the origin of my Mum's dislike of bikes can be traced back to her Dad being involved in a serious motorbike accident that left him in hospital for 10 months. He never rode a bike again, but he did own and restore many bikes afterwards.

This leads me to the main purpose of this post. My dear Grandma has reminded me that my Grandpa's bike is still in the shed, It was the last bike he restored before his passing.

attachicon.gifimage5.JPG

All I know is it is an AJS, as it is written all over it. IIRC he never got it running.

So, I am wondering if the Autoshite Motorcycle Massiv can help me out and provide me with some information about my Grandpa's bike.

Cheers.

Looks like an AJS version of badge engineering AJS/Matchless 500/600/650 twin from late 50s, unlike BSA or Trumpet it has separate barrels.   Run several Matchless badged ones best place for endless info on these is  the  forum area of Jampot.com the owners club website.

attachicon.gifimage5.JPG

Cheers.

I'm going for an AJS model 30 (without a gear lever)

attachicon.gifimage5.JPG

Cheers.

It is a Model 20 most likely, jampot rear suspension, so would expect a chrome tank but pic is in the shade so hard to see the colours completely. Early 50s and the best of the AJS bikes apart from the race bikes like the 7r and porcupine. Good twin cylinder engine mated to a Burman box. More a cruiser than a sports bike but sound amazing. I have one in bits that was my Dad’s but have come to the realisation I will never finish it so am going to have to let it go soon :-(

Guest Hooli

Well it seems a rear wheel bearing has died on my gsx. It felt wobbly on the way home and wriggling the wheel makes clunky noises. I'll strip it tomorrow night to check, if it has gone I'll do the fronts too as they are also original.

You'd think they'd last longer than 17 years n nearly 119k wouldn't you?

hooligooligooli gooo

https://www.robinsonsfoundry.co.uk/shop/online-store/suzuki-parts-finder/gsf-bandit/gsf600/s-x-1995-1999-mk1-naked-and-faired.htm#!gsf600mk1frame1

gadge at work has bassed his test and bought an n reg failed bandit 600

looks in good order for 52k :D

but the only grot behind the zorsts theres a spar that braces the frame - it has bolts in it looks like it can be unbolted.....

looking at foundrys pic its not a separate piece

weldy weldy or can a piece be bought??

what ya think?

Guest Hooli

No idea. I'll look when I'm out the gym and if my neighbour is about I'll ask, he used to be a suzuki mechanic.

Right this little lot should be coming home with me next week.  Crap pictures for now but should make enough on them to pay for my trip.

post-5515-0-85585000-1530731442_thumb.jpg

First up a 1983 Suzuki 125DR engine out due to a broken little end bearing when it got laid up in the 90's

post-5515-0-45402000-1530731511_thumb.jpg

post-5515-0-60778200-1530731524_thumb.jpg

2 pics of this one so you can bask in it's glory. A 1983 Honda CB125 twin. It has a bit of a cafe racer look going on so will probably sell to some hipster.

post-5515-0-08414900-1530731649_thumb.jpg

Finally my favourite a 1970 Solex 6000. These were really advanced for a moped. It has a rear disc brake and is shaft drive

Guest Hooli

hooligooligooli gooo

https://www.robinsonsfoundry.co.uk/shop/online-store/suzuki-parts-finder/gsf-bandit/gsf600/s-x-1995-1999-mk1-naked-and-faired.htm#!gsf600mk1frame1

gadge at work has bassed his test and bought an n reg failed bandit 600

looks in good order for 52k :D

but the only grot behind the zorsts theres a spar that braces the frame - it has bolts in it looks like it can be unbolted.....

looking at foundrys pic its not a separate piece

weldy weldy or can a piece be bought??

what ya think?

Look closer at the diagram. it unbolts in front of the engine & at the top of the down tube & back near the footrests. That whole section of frame comes out with about six bolts plus an engine mount for engine removal. Should be easy enough to get one from a breaker I'd have thought.

Right this little lot should be coming home with me next week.  Crap pictures for now but should make enough on them to pay for my trip.

attachicon.gifdr 125.jpg

First up a 1983 Suzuki 125DR engine out due to a broken little end bearing when it got laid up in the 90's

attachicon.gifcb 125.jpg

attachicon.gifcb125.jpg

2 pics of this one so you can bask in it's glory. A 1983 Honda CB125 twin. It has a bit of a cafe racer look going on so will probably sell to some hipster.

attachicon.gifsolex 6000.jpg

Finally my favourite a 1970 Solex 6000. These were really advanced for a moped. It has a rear disc brake and is shaft drive

Full Floater too. How much do you want for this peice of junk* again.... Runs away to count pennies....and think about where to hide it.......

post-5515-0-85585000-1530731442.jpg

Guest Hooli

Well it seems a rear wheel bearing has died on my gsx. It felt wobbly on the way home and wriggling the wheel makes clunky noises. I'll strip it tomorrow night to check, if it has gone I'll do the fronts too as they are also original.

You'd think they'd last longer than 17 years n nearly 119k wouldn't you?

Now this is odd...

I took the wheel out tonight & the bearings felt absolutely fine. Out of interest I put it back & now there is no clunk or wobble to the wheel yet nothing was loose when I took it apart.

Very odd, I shall test ride it at some point & see if it's self-healing or not.