The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

I would take the A roads too, in fact when i collected my VFR after passing my test i rode it back from Wolverhampton to Huddersfield over the peaks to avoid the motorway.

Just make an evening of it, ride for an hour or so and stop for some scran halfway, its near enough the longest day so you will still be back in the light even if you're out till 10.

Also, pics pls.

Guest Hooli

May I remind you you'll be on a motorcycle FFS.

Newish rider, new bike to him = rush hour with the twats on the M25 would be no fun.

Besides A roads are more fun to ride anyway.

IMO motorways are safer than A roads.

A mate of mine that lost his left leg above the knee riding home on an A road after collecting his first big bike would agree with me. He braked coming into a long sweeping corner, due to his inexperience he wasn't expecting the bike to sit up & try to go straight on. He hit a car at a closing speed of approx. 130 mph (i.e. about 65 mph each).

Newish rider, new bike to him = rush hour with the twats on the M25 would be no fun.

When I was a newish rider, I used to take my L-plates off and go on the M8 Erskine to Edinburgh (and deal with fannies on that, plus it was hard work overtaking lorries). Never got caught. :)

It wasn't fun though, but then it beat having to go through Bathgate...

Picking my bike up tomorrow. Starting to get quite nervous now....

Couple of hours train to the seller, then 100 or so miles back.

Weighing up whether to come back on the motorways (M23 / M25 / M3 or M4) at around 2 hours time, or stick to A roads at around 2hrs 30 mins.

A roads are winning at the moment, largely because I don't fancy hitting the M25 in Friday rush hour.

Thoughts? :)

I've plotted your route for you. Bikers loft should be a soft intro with beer, food, accommodation and bike museum. We usually go by moped. 

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Groenedijkstraat+5a,+8460+Oudenburg,+Belgium/M23,+Redhill+RH1+4HY/@51.0467845,0.9591725,8z/am=t/data=!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x47dcac3710a1d909:0xb6c7876461c19545!2m2!1d2.9841911!2d51.1916578!1m5!1m1!1s0x4875fa9eb91e6b3f:0xedc5d844a72645f4!2m2!1d-0.1272596!2d51.1826017

Guest Hooli

As my 14 has been running rough lately and not feeling right in corners I did a few bits today.

Rebuilt the front brakes, thee stuck pistons explains the cornering.

Cleaned & gapped the plugs, not impresssed with iridium as normal plugs never needed this.

Balanced the throttles.

Bathed it.

post-20217-0-76739000-1529772020_thumb.jpg

Guest Hooli

Clean the headers? I scrub the mud with a sponge that's it. Probably helps it's a full Akra titanium system on there.

It's tatty but it's mostly lived outside and I'm used to it. I've never been one for shiney showroom fresh stuff, that just means it's not been used enough.

Clean the headers? I scrub the mud with a sponge that's it. Probably helps it's a full Akra titanium system on there.

It's tatty but it's mostly lived outside and I'm used to it. I've never been one for shiney showroom fresh stuff, that just means it's not been used enough.

My fireblade is 15 years old and has 11,000 miles and I dont use it much to keep it mint. Whats the point in that? With my mistake in buying a nice condition bike noted, my DL1000 was less than perfect when I bought it, just so I wouldn't get too precious. Used it more in the last year than the blade in the last 5 years.

I'd like to ride my bikes whenever I can, but apart from commuting to work and my two annual holidays, I don't have much time to. Retiring in the not to distant future when I will sell those I use to commute on,  and be able to ride those that have done just the MOT station and back for the last couple of years.

Guest Hooli

Do people ever stop telling you "cor you're going to kill yourself on that!"?

The important question is who is more annoying? Them or the ones who say 'I'd get a bike but I'd kill myself'.

The important question is who is more annoying? Them or the ones who say 'I'd get a bike but I'd kill myself'.

A friend of mine, had a brother in law that said something similar.. He said, "I'd love a bike but aint got the fucking brains for it, I'd kill my bloody self"

He was absolutely correct, decapitated himself on a roundabout, a couple of years later after buying a bike!