The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

Went and looked at this today. 

Dealer is a very nice bloke, and certainly knows his bikes.... however I'm 95% sure is a 599cc not a 636, think its too early to be a 636.

It is a 599cc that one, and far too expensive for its age, I'd be wanting a new pair of matching tyres for the price he is asking at the very least, I'll guarantee there's quite a margin in it at the price he is asking, its trade value is around £1200, cheap bikes are out there and I'm sure I could buy a good example of what your after for around £1700 given time, you are not going to get one from a dealer though, and I don't really know why you would as the best you are getting is 3 months warranty, which certainly isn't worth the extra £800 you are paying, I px'd/sold my FZ1 to a dealer for £1500, its now up for £2.5k,a bit of silicon spray does not add that much value! its not worth that and I would have let it go for £1750 privately.

Good luck with the 636 :)

My dad sold his 600 bandit a couple of years back because he'd only managed to ride 300 miles between MOTs. The previous year he managed 1000 but that's because I dragged him off to Wales with me

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

record for the old man was 106 miles one year

cb400

he was just way too busy when working :D

retired now

record for the old man was 106 miles one year

cb400

he was just way too busy when working :D

retired now

the other extreme was he used it to do ireland to visit his sister

i was in ireland already and went to meet him to ride back to the boat after visiting them also

hed done 400 miles in two and half days

i did 1000 :D - id been in the north and they live in south tipp/limerick

They are pretty poor IMO, they came up cheapest for me as a new rider on a sportsbike but their reviews are dogshit, and their admin fees for any kind of change are high IIRC.

I think they also pull stunts like insisting that driving licence copies etc are sent in very quickly and cancelling (- a hefty admin fee and/or the separate finance company still chasing for the monthly installments)

Having said that I'm sure they also have thousands of happy customers who just don't post online about it.

Personally, if it was only a few quid more for the next non-MCE company I would go for them.

Obviously you hope not to claim, in which case you're just paying the minimum you can get away with for a bit of paper to show the police?

You pays yer money, etc.

Having thought a bit further about this, I think I remember right that MCE were nowhere near the top of the list at my most recent renewal, now that I'm slightly older and more experienced, and riding a boring commuter bike.

This suggests that they actively go for "high risk" business such as new riders on sportsbikes, and get that business by pricing quite a bit cheaper than everyone else.

This means that either:

a) they make up the money by weaselling out of claims

b ) they make back the money with high monthly installment costs and chiselling admin fees

c) new riders on sportsbikes aren't that risky really, and everyone else is ripping us off

d) all of the above.

I was with some mates riding the Glossgockner  Pass a few weeks ago, and on the way down near the top we were stopped by a bloke standing in the road with a red disc on a stick. Looking down ther were a number of Nike n's coming up the pass. Watching them on the hairpin bends they seemed to be cornering quickly (but so were

we!), and you could hear a few of them scraping something on the tight left hand bend just below us, where they stopped. 

This was their European launch I think. My mate took some photos but the film that Yamaha took of it aare on YouTube. 

Are MCE dogshit for insurance? They are cheaper than any other insurer by at least 20%, no matter what options I go for.

Presume they scrimp on service in order to undercut the competition?

Any recommendations of who to check other than the usual comparison sites?

I had a very good quote from one insurance company Footman James or the other one that sounds the same..Peter James?

Was £117 for four bikes but when I went to take the policy they asked from my VJMC membership number, which I didn't have and was under the impression brought my policy price down by roughly a tenner, turned out it went up to over £240 without it!

I had other quotes in the lower £120 ballpark, so firstly phoned Carole Nash who originally quoted £235..they came down to £127 for 4 bikes, fully comp, breakdown cover (including EU) and unlimited mileage! They even threw in a "DNA" anti theft kit. 

Find out what the going rate is and don't be afraid to call up and haggle, it worked out very well for me, was only looking for TPFT and minimal mileage cover.

That was for an '86 GSX-R750, '95 Kawasaki Zephyr 550, '15 Lexmoto ZSB 125 (now sold) and a '75 Honda C70.

Probably be through the roof next year but I'll just do the same thing again.

One of the guys I work with had a lot of grief with MCE over a fully-comp claim, which fits everything I've read about them.  I've been with Hastings Direct and Bennetts, but haven't had to claim so can't say if they'd be any better.  Have you tried MCN Compare?  

@nyphur Insurance costs are very specific to the rider, bike and location. To keep the cost down, dont go crazy on cover (They would write an old bike off at the drop of a hat), agree a higher excess for a lower premium, restrict your miles, tell the its completely standard and you dont ride at peak times.

Even if the above is not strictly true and you declare everything, insurance companies will always try and wriggle out of a claim.

My train of thought has always been to get the lowest cost and never make a claim. I only have insurance to keep me legal, nothing more.

Guest Hooli

I had a very good quote from one insurance company Footman James or the other one that sounds the same..Peter James?

Run by brothers I think.

/useless info

I stick with Carole Nash as you get full euro breakdown (4 calls a year) and they cover both my bikes on one policy which some others struggle to do as they aren't similar bikes.

@nyphur Insurance costs are very specific to the rider, bike and location. To keep the cost down, down go crazy on cover (They would write an old bike off at the drop of a hat), agree a higher excess for a lower premium, restrict your miles, tell the its completely standard and you dont ride at peak times.

Even if the above is not strictly true and you declare everything, insurance companies will always try and wriggle out of a claim.

My train of thought has always been to get the lowest cost and never make a claim. I only have insurance to keep me legal, nothing more.

That's all well and good if the bike only owes you a few quid and you can stomach the loss, it's a bit different if you've just lobbed a 10k bike into a field, I go for a silly high excess and then insure that for about £30 a year, it made my premiums significantly cheaper.

Also you should be declaring mods, as they will use it to try and wriggle out of paying up, most of the time it makes very little difference to the premium paid.

I get what you are trying to say about just doing it to be legal but if your insurance company voids the policy because you've not declared mods or have misrepresented your circumstances then you haven't been legal at all and could end up with an IN10 on your license :)

What sort of premiums are they coming up with?

MCN compare is usually pretty good, also try Carole Nash if you haven't already, you may be finding out that sports 600's aren't the easiest or cheapest things to insure when you are a new license holder, there is a reason why folk buy Fazers/Bandits/SV650's and the like ;):)

It's a funny old game insurance.

Because I'm quite sad like that, when shopping for my latest bike I did a poopload of comparison quotes to see what insurance was like before buying.

Here is my list.

Gilera 50 £159Burgman 250 £219

CB500 £223

GS500 £223 £108 TPFT

GPZ500 £223

Burgman 400 £230

Diversion 600 £252

SV650 £262

Bandit £262

GSXF600 £287

Monster 600 £292

Fazer £300

Diversion 900 £301

Hornet £319

GSXF750 £345

Pan European £361

Thundercat £362

ZZR600 £362 £189 TPFT

CBR600 £362

RF600 £368

VFR750 £410

GSXR600 £446

ZZR1100 £446 £224 TPFT

VTR1000 £467

Thunderace £488

RSV1000 £506

ZX6R £227 TPFT

All those prices were fully comp for me unless noted (35, 3 years no claims, bike outdoors in a medium risk postcode)

Of note is the fact that it only worked out to be about £70-80 more in insurance to go from 0-60 in never (the 50cc Gilera moped I had before), to a 600 or 650cc with 0-60 in 4ish seconds. Probably because those Gileras are thief magnets.

All the unfashionable / "sports touring" 90s 600s are about the same price, with newer or more serious sports kit another 30% or so more.

The ZZR1100, once the world's fastest bike, is the same to insure as a GSX-R600 (think that quote was for an SRAD).

Your quote doesn't seem terrible for a new rider, if you can keep it shiny side up for a year or 2 you should see prices drop considerably.

It certainly gets cheaper after a couple of years if you don't claim, I don't think I have paid more than £200/yr for anything for the last 10 years but I live in a very low risk postcode, have a garage and full NCD, currently paying £127 FC on a new 10k bike :D

Guest Hooli

Out of interest how much worse than the 125 are these quotes?

When I passed in 2007 my insurance was exactly the same price on a Suzuki RF600 as it was on the GY125 chinese off roadery thing I had before. A whopping £147 TPFT, parked on the front garden with no security on one of the worst estates in Worthing.

Run by brothers I think.

/useless info

I stick with Carole Nash as you get full euro breakdown (4 calls a year) and they cover both my bikes on one policy which some others struggle to do as they aren't similar bikes.

They sent me a written quote calling me 3 different names in the same letter.

Regarding annual mileage....

I've my little minter Kawasaki Z250 coming up on 5 years now... in that time I've done 17 miles on it... the day I got it!

My Suzuki GSX750 I've got about 2.5 years... in that time it's done 22 miles... again... on the day I got it..

I've a Honda C90 cub. Have it 12 years. I've never ridden it...

It really is scandalous..

post-17341-0-93493100-1529334253_thumb.jpg

post-17341-0-83454200-1529334273_thumb.jpg

post-17341-0-88251000-1529334291_thumb.jpg

That's all well and good if the bike only owes you a few quid and you can stomach the loss, it's a bit different if you've just lobbed a 10k bike into a field, I go for a silly high excess and then insure that for about £30 a year, it made my premiums significantly cheaper.

I am poor and could only dream of owning a 10k bike, dont think my four bikes are even worth anywhere near lol

Quite a few companies I've called refusing to quote too. I'm 32 so thought I wouldn't have too much bother.

Ah but a rookie.

For some crotch rockets, they'll refuse if you less than 3yr NCD regardless of age.

Just like car insurance, you'll find that smallest isn't cheapest and some 1100 beast that's unfashionable will cost buttons.

That's why I ride a granddad's bike. :)

Another thing, if you're single they'll think you're reckless and irresponsible.

...I remember the days of rider policies and not being able to have anything more the TPO until aged 28. #oldcodgerpatter

I am poor and could only dream of owning a 10k bike, dont think my four bikes are even worth anywhere near lol

I'm poor too, I just don't drink or smoke and don't make frivolous purchases (unless you count motorcycles), I drive a £600 Bora and have holes in my boots, bikes are my weakness, and the salesman was very persuasive, plus the monthlies are less than my mates sky TV package!  :D