Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The Bikeshite Thread

• Please log in to reply
4876 replies to this topic

#4411 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 11,230 posts
  • 130 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 12 June 2018 - 10:07 PM

The only reaplus with a dealer is (I THINK? can you guys confirm) they'll let me test ride the bikes with a small deposit, whereas testing a private bike I'm going to be dropping £2.5k in their hand and hoping they're still there when I get back....

Depends on the dealer, I didn't need to leave a deposit. Ask them as they'll all have different policies about new riders.

• Nyphur likes this

Thanked by 1 Member:
Nyphur

#4412 OFFLINE   Nyphur

Nyphur

• Full Members
  • 3,331 posts
  • 45 thanks

Posted 12 June 2018 - 10:08 PM

They all look dear to me, I have had examples of quite a few of them and have never paid much more than 1750, I do think the price of second hand bikes has risen.

I also think you are over thinking it, just go and look at a couple and buy the one that is in the best condition and has recent consumables, tyres/chain/sprockets etc as they can add £500 onto the price, theres not really a bad bike there, the best built will be the honda, then the Kawasaki with the Suzuki bringing up the rear

I don't disagree that they all look dear - I'd say prices have risen almost £700-1000 just since I was looking 12-18 months ago so I'm not surprised they seem dear to someone who may have owned them a few years ago.

Likewise Dave_Q said he reckoned I could get a decent ZX-6R for under a grand .... If they're still out there, I can't find them. I think the prices I'm seeing are now the new normal :( I'd be delighted if anyone can show me otherwise though :D

Thanks for the other tips. 

• Jazoli likes this

#4413 ONLINE   Jazoli

Jazoli

• Full Members
  • 1,553 posts
  • 15 thanks
  • LocationThe Lakes

Posted 12 June 2018 - 10:15 PM

I've edited my post, did you see the green ZX636?

And pssst did anyone say 929 blade, plenty of good ones for your budget :D
  • Nyphur likes this

sigs are shit, wgaf?

#4414 OFFLINE   They_all_do_that_sir

They_all_do_that_sir

• Full Members
  • 2,405 posts
  • 11 thanks
  • LocationBelfast

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:44 AM

I'd take the kawasaki, I like the looks, they are quick, handle well and are well screwed together.

I've ridden that model of honda (f4i) and it was a peach to ride, just far too competent if that makes sense? Not as much character? They are more comfortable for touring and generally easy to live with as a do everything bike. I do think comparing it to the suzuki and kawasaki isn't fair, you'd be better comparing the CBR600RR as the F version was always poised as more a sports tourer than a supersport.

The suzuki I haven't ridden, they are the iconic bike but suzukis like to rust, my dad's always garaged GSF600 was worse than any bike I've owned and mine are kept outdoors.

Basically if the kwak was the bike you lusted over its the only option. However if it were my money I'd be looking at triumphs, you'd easily pick up a 900 daytona for that coin.

Finally check insurance quotes as it can vary wildly on what seem like similar bikes..... My ZZR1100 is cheaper to insure than a GSXR600 for me

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk
  • Nyphur likes this

Thanked by 1 Member:
Nyphur

#4415 OFFLINE   They_all_do_that_sir

They_all_do_that_sir

• Full Members
  • 2,405 posts
  • 11 thanks
  • LocationBelfast

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:45 AM

I've edited my post, did you see the green ZX636?

And pssst did anyone say 929 blade, plenty of good ones for your budget :D

This x1000, you might be surprised at the insurance costs and they are mega easy to live with. If I ever sell the ZZR they are on the shortlist

#4416 ONLINE   Jazoli

Jazoli

• Full Members
  • 1,553 posts
  • 15 thanks
  • LocationThe Lakes

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:54 AM

Having had another look at your list GXSR #2 would be the first point of call for me, simply because it has suspension and brakes comparable to modern stuff, the radial calipers are immense, plus its looks the nicest, they are physically quite small though so if you are tall and/or fat you may struggle after a short while, the only way to tell is to sit on one.

I have owned loads of sportsbikes over the years, I'm 6ft and 95kg's, the only one I have ever been comfy on was my 'blade, they are a pain in slow traffic and town, if your heart is set on one get one but other options like Speed Triples, Z750's and the like are far more practical and just as much fun, they are also easier for a newb to get the most out of, sportsbikes are pretty focused and are good at going fast, but that's it really.

• Nyphur likes this

sigs are shit, wgaf?

#4417 OFFLINE   Nyphur

Nyphur

• Full Members
  • 3,331 posts
  • 45 thanks

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:01 AM

Thanks all. Jazoli that 636 you linked looks fantastic and is now on my short list. I've fired off an email to the seller for some more info.

Probably sounds silly but I want to get a 600 first, then in a year or two move to a 1000. I want to get used to the 600 then feel the increase in power etc - another performance step up :) 

• Jazoli likes this

#4418 OFFLINE   They_all_do_that_sir

They_all_do_that_sir

• Full Members
  • 2,405 posts
  • 11 thanks
  • LocationBelfast

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:45 AM

Thanks all. Jazoli that 636 you linked looks fantastic and is now on my short list. I've fired off an email to the seller for some more info.

Probably sounds silly but I want to get a 600 first, then in a year or two move to a 1000. I want to get used to the 600 then feel the increase in power etc - another performance step up :)

Some newer supersport 600s are more powerful than mid to late 90s 1000cc superbikes

#4419 OFFLINE   Nyphur

Nyphur

• Full Members
  • 3,331 posts
  • 45 thanks

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:55 AM

Aye, but I'm not looking at newer supersports :)

• srad34 likes this

#4420 ONLINE   Jazoli

Jazoli

• Full Members
  • 1,553 posts
  • 15 thanks
  • LocationThe Lakes

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:57 AM

Some newer supersport 600s are more powerful than mid to late 90s 1000cc superbikes

Peak power yes but they still wouldn't see which way an older thou went most of the time due to the instant torque, my friends new (2006) R6 was faster than my 1990 Exup in a flat out race but on the road the exup was always pulling ahead as you had to be totally committed to get the R6 to fly, which isn't really what you want on the roads. 

• Nyphur and Hooli like this

sigs are shit, wgaf?

Thanked by 1 Member:
Nyphur

#4421 OFFLINE   They_all_do_that_sir

They_all_do_that_sir

• Full Members
  • 2,405 posts
  • 11 thanks
  • LocationBelfast

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:02 AM

Peak power yes but they still wouldn't see which way an older thou went most of the time due to the instant torque, my friends new (2006) R6 was faster than my 1990 Exup in a flat out race but on the road the exup was always pulling ahead as you had to be totally committed to get the R6 to fly, which isn't really what you want on the roads.

Awk I know, but it's crazy just how far the 600s have come.

Have to agree for 90% of the time something with a bit of low down grunt that doesn't need its neck wrung to go quickly is far nicer.

I can be very lazy on the ZZR, you can pretty much be in any gear for a corner and still pull yourself out.

• Jazoli and Hooli like this

#4422 OFFLINE   John F

John F

• Full Members
  • 6,987 posts
  • 48 thanks
  • LocationMidgard

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:23 AM

Soz folks, but these bikes are WAY too new to be classed as bikeshite.

Here's a picture of a Münch Mammut to get the thread back on track:

Munch_mammut.jpg

:-)

• Fat_Pirate, martc, Nyphur and 3 others like this

Never knowingly under-ambitious

'99 Land Rover Discovery ES V8

'97 Land Rover Discovery 300 TDi

'94 Vauxhall Calibra V6
'91 Maserati 222 SE

'88 Yamaha XJ900F

'86 Honda CBX 750F
'82 Suzuki GSX1100SZ Katana

#4423 OFFLINE   John F

John F

• Full Members
  • 6,987 posts
  • 48 thanks
  • LocationMidgard

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:57 AM

TBH I really don't get new* sportsbikes (i.e. anything since the mid-1990s). 

My 32-year old CBX750F is still a very, very rapid machine in comparison with even a fairly modern car (0-60 in 4.3 seconds), I'm not sure I'd want to ride anything quicker than that on the road because the limiting factor would be my thinking & reaction times. And I'm quite a bit older than my bike :-D

• DodgeRover and srad34 like this

'94 Vauxhall Calibra V6
'91 Maserati 222 SE

'88 Yamaha XJ900F

'86 Honda CBX 750F

#4424 ONLINE   Jazoli

Jazoli

• Full Members
  • 1,553 posts
  • 15 thanks
  • LocationThe Lakes

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:27 AM

This is the only thread on the entire forum talking about our bikes so as far as I'm concerned it is on topic :) 

TBH I really don't get new* sportsbikes (i.e. anything since the mid-1990s). 

My 32-year old CBX750F is still a very, very rapid machine in comparison with even a fairly modern car (0-60 in 4.3 seconds), I'm not sure I'd want to ride anything quicker than that on the road because the limiting factor would be my thinking & reaction times. And I'm quite a bit older than my bike :-D

Your 32 year old CBX also has little in the way of tyres, brakes and handling, faster more modern machinery has the brakes suspension and tyres to go with the extra power, I like old bikes but my thoughts are the complete opposite to yours, I like modern bikes with modern suspension and electronics, I like to know I can stop from speed with just one finger on the brake lever, rather than the death grip you need on a lot of older stuff, ridden within their limits older bikes are nice, but I prefer newer ones :)

• John F likes this

sigs are shit, wgaf?

#4425 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 11,230 posts
  • 130 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:34 AM

Awk I know, but it's crazy just how far the 600s have come.

Have to agree for 90% of the time something with a bit of low down grunt that doesn't need its neck wrung to go quickly is far nicer.

I can be very lazy on the ZZR, you can pretty much be in any gear for a corner and still pull yourself out.

That's why I won't change my GSX14, it'll pull from idle in 6th without effort. That alone makes it so easy to ride for someone of limited talent like myself.

• They_all_do_that_sir likes this

#4426 OFFLINE   John F

John F

• Full Members
  • 6,987 posts
  • 48 thanks
  • LocationMidgard

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:42 AM

Jazoli, on 13 Jun 2018 - 12:27 PM, said:

This is the only thread on the entire forum talking about our bikes so as far as I'm concerned it is on topic :)

Your 32 year old CBX also has little in the way of tyres, brakes and handling, faster more modern machinery has the brakes suspension and tyres to go with the extra power, I like old bikes but my thoughts are the complete opposite to yours, I like modern bikes with modern suspension and electronics, I like to know I can stop from speed with just one finger on the brake lever, rather than the death grip you need on a lot of older stuff, ridden within their limits older bikes are nice, but I prefer newer ones :)

Oh yep, I know it's the only bike thread we've got at the moment. Perhaps there's justification for a modern bikes thread in the "Modern shite" sub-forum?

And I fully appreciate your comments about braking & handling, the difference between my CBX and my slightly older but much heavier & more old-fashioned Katana is enormous :-)

• Jazoli likes this

'94 Vauxhall Calibra V6
'91 Maserati 222 SE

'88 Yamaha XJ900F

'86 Honda CBX 750F

#4427 ONLINE   doug

doug

• Full Members
  • 557 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationScotland

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:52 AM

Any interest in a T140D Triumph Bonneville 1980 for sale at £4500?

#4428 OFFLINE   Dave_Q

Dave_Q

• Full Members
  • 4,628 posts
  • 54 thanks
  • LocationConveniently located for the M62 and well regarded local schooling

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:52 AM

We had a similar discussion in the pushbike thread as its 50/50 carbon twat chariots/jumble sale Puchs, we left it all in 1 thread.

There's only a few of us post in here anyway, let's just accept it as "the motorbike thread" without further divisions, it's quiet enough already IMO.
  • Fat_Pirate, martc, red5 and 4 others like this

09 Fiat Multipla

99 SV650

too many pushbikes (apparently)

#4429 OFFLINE   srad34

srad34

• Full Members
  • 798 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationFanny Flaps

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:21 PM

We had a similar discussion in the pushbike thread as its 50/50 carbon twat chariots/jumble sale Puchs, we left it all in 1 thread.

There's only a few of us post in here anyway, let's just accept it as "the motorbike thread" without further divisions, it's quiet enough already IMO.

This ^^^^, although needs more tatty FZR's andn ZXR's!

• John F likes this

srad34

Living the rusty dream........

#4430 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 11,230 posts
  • 130 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:24 PM

Any interest in a T140D Triumph Bonneville 1980 for sale at £4500?

Is that what they are worth these days? I'll have to up the valuation on my T140v.

• brandersnatch likes this

#4431 ONLINE   doug

doug

• Full Members
  • 557 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationScotland

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:49 PM

Is that what they are worth these days? I'll have to up the valuation on my T140v.

Just going by eBay prices. There are 3 on just now and all over £5000
  • Hooli likes this

#4432 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 11,230 posts
  • 130 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:05 PM

Fair enough, I just had no idea they'd gone up since I got mine.

#4433 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 11,230 posts
  • 130 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 13 June 2018 - 05:13 PM

No pictures as my hands were too mucky to take any.

I think* I've fixed my leaky clutch slave cylinder tonight. I found some hard dry corrosion in there that was stopping the seal sealing. I've cleaned it all out & the cylinder appears ok with no marks or ridges etc. It's rebuilt & all seems ok. I'll find out for sure in the morning when I see if I've got a clutch or not without a few pumps of the lever.

I can't complain really, it's only the second time the slave has been apart in almost 118k & it's still on it's original seals.

#4434 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 11,230 posts
  • 130 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:01 PM

Oh another thing, I'm going to use as much the PPI payout I got the other day to get some work done on my Bonnie so it's nearer being on the road again. I need to get the engine stripped down so I can find out if I need rods or not.

• yellowperil likes this

#4435 OFFLINE   jamiewilson

jamiewilson

• Full Members
  • 300 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:31 PM

Depends on the dealer, I didn't need to leave a deposit. Ask them as they'll all have different policies about new riders.

Local big boys charge you if you don’t buy the thieves

#4436 OFFLINE   Nyphur

Nyphur

• Full Members
  • 3,331 posts
  • 45 thanks

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:38 PM

Good luck with that one....

#4437 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 11,230 posts
  • 130 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:56 PM

Local big boys charge you if you don’t buy the thieves

The correct answer to that is my new favourite phrase - get in the sea & when ya flat cap starts floating, keep walking.

• Fat_Pirate, DodgeRover and jamiewilson like this

#4438 OFFLINE   Nyphur

Nyphur

• Full Members
  • 3,331 posts
  • 45 thanks

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:59 PM

I've arranged to go and see the ZX-6R that Jazoli linked, on Sunday. Its got no MOT at the moment but the seller will "put one on". 

Looks to have been off the road a year (seller says in a humidity controlled storage place) and has covered around 200 miles a year for the last 6 years or so. So long as it starts and runs ok, not much to worry about it having been off road?

Am also going to go and try to get a ride of all 3 bikes from the place which has got them in on Saturday.

Messaged GSXR#4 - needs a new rear tyre, chain and sprocket probably also need a change and I better be quick because hes got lots of interest. Yeah, I'll pass on that one.

• Dave_Q and Jazoli like this

#4439 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 11,230 posts
  • 130 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:08 PM

I didn't check the adverts out but chain & sprockets are typically needed every 20-30k even when you look after a bike. Rear tyres every 5-6k, a lot less if you run super sticky sports stuff.

Thanked by 1 Member:
Nyphur

#4440 OFFLINE   red5

red5

• Full Members
  • 2,002 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • LocationSunny Bewdley

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:16 PM

GSX...not that I'm biased....

Attached Images

• DSC_0005.JPG