The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

As most bikes in the UK are only used to stare at when the garage is opened & once a year they get ridden to an MOT, that is the only thing that matters.

I don't know anyone who does that, everyone I know with bikes uses them properly, and that includes thrashing very exclusive and expensive limited edition bikes on track, mine sits in the garage from oct-march usually because I can afford a car also ;):D

Guest Hooli

The amount of 10 year old bikes with under 10k on is proof it happens. Not that we'd know them as we're too busy out riding.....

Wow, that looks interesting............ I want one.

Something else I've just thought of, now then, three wheels so surely it's classed as a trike, seem to remember it is optional whether or not to wear a lid with a trike..........not that I'd be that daft........it's just a thought.

Per the Piaggio MP3, there is a minimum width to be a trike, if the front track is less than X mm then it's a bike and you need a helmet etc.

There's actually 2 versions of the mp3, one just has the front wheels spaced out a few mm to be a trike, so no bike licence needed.

Edited to add: it's 460mm, if the front wheels are closer together than that it's a bike.

The Niken is 410mm front track.

"Recent" according to the advert (but does that mean time or distance.... we'll see) - can just make out that they're a pair of contisport's.

Presume bike tyres have a date stamp like a car tyre so i can check? Thanks for the advice.

Yep, same format four digits, week & year.

Per the Piaggio MP3, there is a minimum width to be a trike, if the front track is less than X mm then it's a bike and you need a helmet etc.

There's actually 2 versions of the mp3, one just has the front wheels spaced out a few mm to be a trike, so no bike licence needed.

Edited to add: it's 460mm, if the front wheels are closer together than that it's a bike.

The Niken is 410mm front track.

That Sounds reasonable, Cheers for that..................

Guest Hooli

My bonnie frame just came home :) all sorted ready for me to decide on paint or powder coat.

Guess it's time to get some rims so the wheels can be rebuilt. Then I'll spilt the cases to sort the engine.

I might have decided on a design for the leccy box new seat etc by then too.

Wow, that looks interesting............ I want one.

Something else I've just thought of, now then, three wheels so surely it's classed as a trike, seem to remember it is optional whether or not to wear a lid with a trike..........not that I'd be that daft........it's just a thought.

It's classed as a motorcycle.

I think you'll find that this is a GSX...

SUZUKI-GSX-1100-S-Katana-878_4.jpg

I had a Katana after I had had a slabside GSXR1100 and a Fireblade. They are utterly amazing engines but boy did that frame need some work. That said it was the most planted bike I have ever ridden. You needed to set it up for a corner but once done a ripple in the tarmac or overbanding didn’t bother it at all whereas the fire blade would have wiggling its arse. My brother in law still has it, one of my favourites.

Did you see the riderless BMW scooter (C1?) being demonstrated on Sky, this morning?

They even put a Reporter in it, took him for a ride around the airfield.

Seems they are developing it for interface reaction with driverless cars - seems bikes' sometimes go faster than cars'- but I can see the Courier Companies being interested in these.

To my mind, a " roof'd" scooter has a better/ quicker mass market offer than driverless cars.

Think of the Asian market!

My bonnie frame just came home :) all sorted ready for me to decide on paint or powder coat.

Guess it's time to get some rims so the wheels can be rebuilt. Then I'll spilt the cases to sort the engine.

I might have decided on a design for the leccy box new seat etc by then too.

Just a few things to think about ..you may already be aware of ..but just in case not. 

Powder coating is thicker and often ends up less shiny than two pack paint. Of course, if you don't want shiny then the paint can either be toned down with a matting agent ..to take the plastic looking edge off the shine.  Conversely with 2-pack - a cutting/polishing compound can be used after the paint has hardened (to finish like polished-silver than lacquered-chrome) 

Powder coating tend to (..but not always - as it depends on the painter) have more orange peel to its finish. This can be seen on tubes. Two pack can be hand flattened and polished to get straight reflections.  

Two-pack comes in any colour, even metallics, whereas powder coating tends to be limited to what the powder coater is already using.   Furthermore, two pack clear-lacquer can be used over customising pin-stripes or transfers.

The thickness of powder coating is particularly noticeable on some frames ..because it looses the sharp details.  For example, the post-war Sunbeam frames are steel tubes brazed into castings for the steering head, engine, foot-peg mounts, and rear suspension (plungers). The some of the definition of these edges is lost when powder coated.  Even if your Bonnie has welded pressings instead of brazed castings then you may wish to retain their definition and to be able to better read the stampings (..of frame number for example).  

If a frame has a dent (not structural but cosmetically undesirable) then it can be filled and faired over before 2-pack painting.  Epoxy filler might possible be used on frames which are to be powder coated, but I don't have experience of how successful this might be.

Both powder coating and good quality two-pack should be tough in use, but the 2-pack tends to chip easier than powder coating ..if the bike is used on a dirt road or if you catch your engine on the frame tubes when refitting it.  Powder coating is generally considered more durable for daily-ride hacks and for vulnerable places like the insides of mudguards, swing arms, foot pegs, etc.  

If powder coating does get badly knocked - it can remain in place but crack, and then moisture can get under it and rust the metal unseen.  Conversely, 2-pack tends to chip &/or flake off when impacted. Although really annoying / disappointing - at least it's obvious and can be dealt with before rust.   A chip is easy to seamlessly paint over (single pack paint is usually fine for touching in) ..whereas a crack over lifted-away paint is a long term pain-in-the-under-saddle.    

Powder coating and some two pack paints may bubble if they get too hot, for example on brake drums. But 2-pack is available in high temperature variants which is then baked hard. You just need to use the right stuff. .  

Two pack needs plenty of time and warmth to fully harden after painting, we're talking weeks of warmth here, whereas if you are in a rush to get things reassembled asap, then powder coating is baked during application and is immediately ready for reassembly.  2-pack needs to be very carefully packed even just to bring it home from the paint shop.

Threaded and other fastening holes in a frame, including those which require an interference fit, such as the steering head bearings and wheel spindles, ought also to be considered.  Powder coating is a baked-on finish and so masking these holes presents its own challenges. Either way, cut through / trim the paint with a craft knife before any masking tape is removed.  Two pack can better be sprayed or brushed inside holes, into tight corners, or inside tubes, if that is wanted.

Some frames contain a surprising amount of grease or oil within them.  BSA / Triumph oil-in-frame bikes are an obvious, but for example ; the Sunbeam has a grease nipple on the steering head ..which is in the wrong place (!) so people pump grease into this thinking they're lubricating the head race bearings, whereas in fact the grease is just going into the down-tubes.  Bikes with swing arms also may have grease pumped into the frame tubes.  When heated up (part of the process when powder coating) then this oil or grease can seep out and lay as a blister under the paintwork. 

Removing powder coating is generally regarded as being very much more difficult than 2-pack paint. That is generally only an an issue if it didn't go on well, or for future restorers.  

The cost of a nice two-pack paint finish is more more expensive than powder coating because there's very much more work / labour involved in the preparation and etching-primer.   

I find good quality and really hard-dry 2-pack tends to crack less when bolted   ..perhaps because it is a thinner application, or else because it seems to key to the metal better than plastic powder coating / heat-shrunk-wrapping. 

Perhaps originality of finish is important to you or to the bike's value.?  I don't know what paint your Triumph originally had.

Anyway those are my thoughts, I'm sure others will have counter arguments and other factors to consider. 

But still I hope the above is helpful in your decision making.

Bfg ;)

I could see that Yamaha being popular if it wasn't classed as a motorcycle.

I'm sure the cost and hassle of getting your license these days has had the desired effect of putting many people off a motorcycle.

Guest Hooli

Paint sutff

Bfg ;)

That's great thanks.

I'm not overly concerned with originality, as the bike isn't being built standard anyway. But I would like it to look 'period' if that makes sense. The frame currently has paint on but it's tatty & rubbed off in places, I was thinking of rubbing it down for a key, priming the bare bits & hand painting it. Maybe in coach enamel as I've seen good results from that on other people's bikes.

I don't really fancy getting an OIF frame blasted & powder coated as when I got the bike it'd been blasted & had 1/2" of grit in the oil tank, which explained why it ate oil pumps...

I had a Katana after I had had a slabside GSXR1100 and a Fireblade. They are utterly amazing engines but boy did that frame need some work. That said it was the most planted bike I have ever ridden. You needed to set it up for a corner but once done a ripple in the tarmac or overbanding didn’t bother it at all whereas the fire blade would have wiggling its arse. My brother in law still has it, one of my favourites.

Yep... the big Kat is a heavy old beast, a bit of a handful on twisty roads but beautifully planted on fast dual carriageways & motorways.

I fitted Technoflex rear shocks to mine, which made a big difference over the standard equipment, but it's still essentially got a 1970s frame & forks that struggle to cope with the power of the engine.

Justs did the valve clearances on the NC. Have done 10000 miles since october so that, along with a few hard starts recently made me get it done. All the zorst valves were tight, as expected. In the time it took me to do it, including dropping the coolant and refill/burp, a large 4-cyl with bucket and shim, id still be pulling it apart. First time ive done screw/locknut tappets for a while, forgotten how easy it is.

Seems to start on the button lovely, a few very hot starts will see if it has made it easier to start when warm.

As most bikes in the UK are only used to stare at when the garage is opened & once a year they get ridden to an MOT, that is the only thing that matters.

The amount of 10 year old bikes with under 10k on is proof it happens. Not that we'd know them as we're too busy out riding.....

500 miles there and back for an MOT, where do these people live?

My dad sold his 600 bandit a couple of years back because he'd only managed to ride 300 miles between MOTs. The previous year he managed 1000 but that's because I dragged him off to Wales with me

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

Guest Hooli

That'll be pushing it up & down the drive to wash it every weekend :D

I got my bike when it was 7 years old with 7,452miles on it. That was pretty typical of the age/mileage I was looking at, so these owners must exist in reasonable numbers.

Guest Hooli

I doubt you'd notice the difference between a 599 & 636, the bike will be so much more capable than you for ages. TBH I'm not sure most riders would except for the odd straight when they pin it next till the next bend.