The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

Guest Hooli

Oh another thing, I'm going to use as much the PPI payout I got the other day to get some work done on my Bonnie so it's nearer being on the road again. I need to get the engine stripped down so I can find out if I need rods or not.

Guest Hooli

I didn't check the adverts out but chain & sprockets are typically needed every 20-30k even when you look after a bike. Rear tyres every 5-6k, a lot less if you run super sticky sports stuff.

I've arranged to go and see the ZX-6R that Jazoli linked, on Sunday. Its got no MOT at the moment but the seller will "put one on".

Looks to have been off the road a year (seller says in a humidity controlled storage place) and has covered around 200 miles a year for the last 6 years or so. So long as it starts and runs ok, not much to worry about it having been off road?

Am also going to go and try to get a ride of all 3 bikes from the place which has got them in on Saturday.

Messaged GSXR#4 - needs a new rear tyre, chain and sprocket probably also need a change and I better be quick because hes got lots of interest. Yeah, I'll pass on that one.

If its done that little mileage in that time I'd put money on the tyres being ancient and rock hard, might be worth checking when they were last changed

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't worry too much if the tyres are old and hard, you can get a set of Pirelli Diablo's for around £140 fitted and they are more than enough tyre for a newb :) they look fairly new on the bike if that means anything.

And no there should not really be anything else to worry about, as longs as it starts and gets up to temp and the fan kicks it it'll be fine, also you'll find the choke (remember them) is either on or off, and will make the bike rev at 4k when cold unless you can get it just right, it's normal and they all do that sir.

This ^^^^, although needs more tatty FZR's andn ZXR's!

Here's a few, as you can see I have had a few bikes, its an addiction

nJCwlZa.jpg

BwqtA8Y.jpg

xYvfibG.jpg

Some of mine, not tatty though :)

Fr3EVtx.jpg

bopGnFS.png

vDDlTVU.jpg

4lj97PG.jpg

FQdDfux.jpg

cm3XGaH.jpg

dk7fyIQ.jpg

QfLNqjN.jpg

VBo5CFq.jpg

9ykjbfH.jpg

GXNgY7U.jpg

RrjSAFJ.jpg

t0XwyRX.jpg

There's loads more but they are all on Photobucket and I can't be arsed moving them.

Just a thought,

Bikeshitefest or equivalent? Some local meets/ride outs could be arranged?

Sam

We've got a few scooter riders on here, any chance of a run down to Brighton to sort them out?

On a more realistic note, I'd fancy a meet somewhere for a day out, but realistically most events on autoshite tend to be closer to the north pole than Hertfordshire for the simple fact ooop norf is where most of you guys appear to dwell. Having a very little un would rule out anything that would take multiple days.

Would anyone fancy the Ace Cafe having never been there I feel I should 'tick it off' or the London Motorcycle museum always seems close to pulling down the shutters so might be worth seeing sooner rather than later?

Another 2 newbie questions then.... Presume I will be able to hear the fan kick in? If not can I spy it through a gap in the fairings? And what temp is up to temp as the bike looks to have a digi read out, rather than a gauge? 

My 125 had a choke, and a few past cars so I am vaguely aware of them.

Sorry for flooding the thread with my shit all - hopefully it will be over soon :D Many thanks again for all the help/advice

The bike in normal riding should be around 90, when stationary as said the fan should kick in around 100-105, you will definitely hear it, if you are planning on riding once the roads have been salted later in the year you must get some corrosion protection (like ACF50) on the bike, as a nice clean and shiny ZX6 will not be clean and shiny come spring.

Good luck with the viewings, generally if the bike looks right it usually is, look at the seller as much as the bike, if it's from someone's back garden on a rough council estate the chances are it will be shit and have had zero maintenance and the cheapest shit thrown at it, if its a middle aged guy with a nice house and well maintained gardens selling it the bike will probably be good, it's not a hard and fast rule but its usually true.

The bike in normal riding should be around 90, when stationary as said the fan should kick in around 100-105, you will definitely hear it, if you are planning on riding once the roads have been salted later in the year you must get some corrosion protection (like ACF50) on the bike, as a nice clean and shiny ZX6 will not be clean and shiny come spring.

Good luck with the viewings, generally if the bike looks right it usually is, look at the seller as much as the bike, if it's from someone's back garden on a rough council estate the chances are it will be shit and have had zero maintenance and the cheapest shit thrown at it, if its a middle aged guy with a nice house and well maintained gardens selling it the bike will probably be good, it's not a hard and fast rule but its usually true.

You just described me but which one?

Another 2 newbie questions then.... Presume I will be able to hear the fan kick in? If not can I spy it through a gap in the fairings? And what temp is up to temp as the bike looks to have a digi read out, rather than a gauge? 

My 125 had a choke, and a few past cars so I am vaguely aware of them.

Sorry for flooding the thread with my shit all - hopefully it will be over soon :D Many thanks again for all the help/advice

start it from cold poke about it while waiting for it to kick in

It was an option.

So I tried a GSX-R 1000 K2.

Then bought it. Because practical sports tourer. Or last hurrah on head down/arse up riding...oooer

The K1/2 1000 are superb, mental quick bikes, I love mine, just don't call it a 'gixxer', makes me cringe! I always correct folk and say its a GSX-R...... 

post-9212-0-19812300-1528962205_thumb.jpg

The K1/2 1000 are superb, mental quick bikes, I love mine, just don't call it a 'gixxer', makes me cringe! I always correct folk and say its a GSX-R...... 

Indeed....

Yours still got the SET attached?

It looks like a fucking Transformer.

It's not shite, but this seemed like the best place.

https://youtu.be/nFU0HkIgtYs

I like them, and will be having a go once/if my dealer gets a demo in, my bike has the same engine and is an absolute riot, i imagine lots of liberties can be taken with the extra grip available :D

They will probably sell about 4 of them over here but the French will buy them.

Indeed....

Yours still got the SET attached?

I guess you mean the power valve? - If so, no, removed from the OEM link and blanked. Running a PC3 with a map to suit the Yoshi and K&N. Its seemless and quite the fruit loop to ride!

I think it will bomb in the UK, we're fairly conservative when it comes to radical bike designs.

But apart from improved front-end grip, I'm not sure what benefits it offers over a conventional bike - especially as that extra grip comes at the expense of additional weight, complexity and width (for filtering in traffic, garage storage, parking, etc).

Also, IMO it munts when viewed from the front :-)