Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The Bikeshite Thread

• Please log in to reply
5175 replies to this topic

#4381 OFFLINE   hairnet

hairnet

• Full Members
  • 8,978 posts
  • 15 thanks

Posted 10 June 2018 - 03:16 PM

feel itchy trigger.
Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

He bums everyone - you can get cream for that :lol:
  • They_all_do_that_sir likes this

#4382 OFFLINE   Jazoli

Jazoli

• Full Members
  • 1,637 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationThe Lakes

Posted 10 June 2018 - 04:32 PM

That's very nice! I always said I'd never have a brand new bike but I'm running out of reasons not to, cash monies aside.

If I had a couple of other financial bits squared off I would be seriously tempted to go buy a new Kawasaki Z900rs. All the pictures I've seen make them look a bit meh but sitting on one at the Belfast Bike Show in Feb made me feel itchy trigger. Its a very nice bike in the metal

I test rode the Z900RS last weekend, it was a lovely bike and felt like a premium product, it also had all the latest electrics which was nice but not really needed, I liked it, it wasn't sporty at all which for me crossed it off the list, I'd have one as a second bike any day.

2vnfC8Y.jpg

The PCP deal I was offered on one was £1200 down and £120/month for 3 years, depends whether you want to rent or buy one I guess.

• They_all_do_that_sir, srad34, pilninggas and 1 other like this

sigs are shit, wgaf?

#4383 OFFLINE   Danterzza

Danterzza

• Full Members
  • 3,407 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationDerby

Posted 10 June 2018 - 08:14 PM

Mrs T wants a 125 to learn to ride on as she is 30 in aug and wants to be a rebel.

She wants a Suzuki van van. What’s are these like? Anything I should look out for?

#4384 OFFLINE   Jerzy Woking

Jerzy Woking

• Full Members
  • 1,152 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • LocationNorth Essex

Posted 10 June 2018 - 10:47 PM

Good bikes according to my mate who had one he used green laneing. Seem well made and robust as he never broke it. They hold their value well and sell easily, apparently, so can't be bad at all.

2005 Saab 9-5 with 300 bhp thanks to Noobtune, Abbott and Maptun.
1999 Mingebag Mercedes, given up on it, so SOLD

1994 Citroen AX Dimension, my winter bike. SOLD.

#4385 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 13,228 posts
  • 161 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 10 June 2018 - 11:29 PM

One other (potentially dumb question), do the kinds of bikes I'm looking at run happily on 95 octane, or do they prefer to sup super?.

I don't know of any bikes that need super, I'm sure others will tell me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Opinions expressed are those of this cunt, not any other cunt. They do not represent the views of those responsible for this forum.
Like any true Englishman I'm never unintentionally rude. If you're offended by this post, good as that is what was intended.

Thanked by 1 Member:
Nyphur

#4386 OFFLINE   Jazoli

Jazoli

• Full Members
  • 1,637 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationThe Lakes

Posted 11 June 2018 - 05:49 AM

I don't know of any bikes that need super, I'm sure others will tell me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Nothing as far as I know, you will see a benefit on modern bikes which will adjust accordingly but straight unleaded is the norm.

sigs are shit, wgaf?

Thanked by 1 Member:
Nyphur

#4387 OFFLINE   pilninggas

pilninggas

• Full Members
  • 489 posts
  • 6 thanks
  • LocationCil-y-Coed, Sir Fynwy, Cymru; exiled from Bryste, Lloegr

Posted 11 June 2018 - 06:02 AM

Nothing as far as I know, you will see a benefit on modern bikes which will adjust accordingly but straight unleaded is the norm.

Very few modern bikes will benefit. Only a small number have knock sensors (some BMWs, the H2?).

Total waste of money to use higher octane in most bikes.

Shite formerly owned: Primera renault 11, peugeot 405, renault 19, renault laguna x3, all more shite than the previous one), kia clarus, mondeo, jeep cheroshite.

Shite at present: New Autoshite Gold -  A 64plate DACIA DUSTER ACCESS: to quote a widespread takeaway - i'm lovin' it....

Shite taxi'd: 406, fried montego, vectra, fiat-house-on-wheels.

Moto-shite owned: [un]superdream, simson SR50 (east german thingy), cb250rs, jinlun (china-shite).

Not motoshite owned: ZR50, RXS100 x 2, RD350YPVS, FZR1000 x 2, TDM850, XV535, ZX6R, XJ6 x 2, FZ1S, RG250 Gamma

Thanked by 1 Member:
Nyphur

#4388 OFFLINE   Cheggers

Cheggers

• Full Members
  • 4,375 posts
  • 21 thanks
  • LocationPortsmouth, the posh part

Posted 11 June 2018 - 06:35 AM

Thats correct - and is a rare example of a sense of humour actually getting beyond the marketting team/focus groups.

Wasn't the De Tomaso Mangusta (Mongoose) given that name because they eat cobras?
  • yellowperil and Hooli like this
I had my photo taken with REM. That's me in the corner...

#4389 OFFLINE   andy18s

andy18s

• Full Members
  • 3,473 posts
  • 14 thanks

Posted 11 June 2018 - 05:12 PM

Mrs T wants a 125 to learn to ride on as she is 30 in aug and wants to be a rebel.

She wants a Suzuki van van. What’s are these like? Anything I should look out for?

Yamaha version?

Attached Images

• Screenshot_20180611-195513.png

Soobaaarooo Legacy for the awd fun
XT600z Tenere for the off road fun
Happy trails....

#4390 OFFLINE   twosmoke300

twosmoke300

• Full Members
  • 9,346 posts
  • 64 thanks
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 11 June 2018 - 05:21 PM

Van vans are cool little bikes , dad has the 200.
Tiny fuel tank tho .
Typical Suzuki build quality, keep it clean and indoors when not in use

One of the funniest things ive read on here - RIP Dave

Brilliant... late in for lunch I fired up an off-brand pot noodle and while carrying it to the lounge successfully spilled it all over myself, burned the piss out of my hand, soaked my phone with the juice, soaked a load of expense receipts I was also carrying and it hit the hall floor and just fucking exploded....it was literally dripping from the ceiling in my newly decorated hallway. The obvious and considered reaction was to throw an immediate, massive paddy and boot the fucker down the hall while screaming, which has made the whole scenario about 18 times worse.

#4391 OFFLINE   DodgeRover

DodgeRover

• Full Members
  • 6,180 posts
  • 91 thanks

Posted 11 June 2018 - 06:01 PM

Do not under any circumstances pretend it's an RV125 and ride it down the beach, it will disolve faster than S type cills...
  • twosmoke300 and Jerzy Woking like this

#4392 OFFLINE   jamiewilson

jamiewilson

• Full Members
  • 305 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 11 June 2018 - 08:32 PM

That's a lovely bike, I had a CB125T in my fleet back in the 1990s. Silky smooth compared to the 125 singles :-)

It's difficult to assess value though... at a guess you might get somewhere between £800 and £1250, if the pro-link suspension is in good order.

I’d be interested at the lower end of that valuation

#4393 OFFLINE   jamiewilson

jamiewilson

• Full Members
  • 305 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:09 PM

Totally agree - money spent on training is money well spent, and I'd do a Rapid course over any IAM course.. I am lucky in that my employers paid for me to be trained to to Advanced Level with the police back in 2001 which is maintained with an annual refresher course. And no, I do not work for the police. And as already said, raising your head and looking far ahead is key to safe riding.

I ride all sorts of bikes, my own and work ones, ranging from my 125 twist and go Yamaha to my KTM RC8, and my work bikes which are all a minimum of 1000cc. Some work bikes I don't particularly like riding as the seats get uncomfortable after a couple of hours - compared to the RC8, with its half inch thick seat, which remains comfortable after 8 hours.

If you want to see how the seating position of ANY bike will suit your particular bodily dimensions, have a look at http://cycle-ergo.com (which contains every bike you can think of) and displays seat height, forward lean angle, knee angle and hip angle, plus your height and inside leg measurement. It's great to see how the bike you ride and find comfortable compares with, say a Ducati Panigale, and you can see how drastically they differ or how remarkably similar they are. Great way to spend an hour looking at 20 bikes before trawling around the shops to actually sit on one.

Great site that used it to pick my vfr, didn’t tell me it weighed a shedload though.

#4394 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 13,228 posts
  • 161 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 12 June 2018 - 04:19 PM

Weight of bikes is a funny thing. Lighter sports bikes often feel heavier than heavier bikes as sports bikes often have stacked engines (gearbox underneath not behind) so the weight is higher & topples easier.

Opinions expressed are those of this cunt, not any other cunt. They do not represent the views of those responsible for this forum.
Like any true Englishman I'm never unintentionally rude. If you're offended by this post, good as that is what was intended.

#4395 OFFLINE   hairnet

hairnet

• Full Members
  • 8,978 posts
  • 15 thanks

Posted 12 June 2018 - 05:20 PM

https://www.ebay.co....CE/183258087026

s-l1600.jpg

i want to buy this

but i need to sell this

#4396 OFFLINE   hairnet

hairnet

• Full Members
  • 8,978 posts
  • 15 thanks

Posted 12 June 2018 - 05:28 PM

this

had tyres and chain in last month fresh mot and it need fork seals but theyll be done

46800 miles

fJzpfZZ.jpg
tABP315.jpg
i6ezvs2.jpg
dTRPlrp.jpg

lacquer is falling off the tank panels and the side panels are a bit meh but i have new replacements (god bless ryanair and america :lol: )

2 grand i would like for it - and it will go (as it has) anywhere

oil changed every 5-6k ( fecker) miles and only thing i change on it is front pads as its the only thing thats not diffcult local garage does anything else

G4vEl6q.jpg

Latest pic took on friday
  • Nyphur likes this

#4397 OFFLINE   Nyphur

Nyphur

hooptie life

• Full Members
  • 3,560 posts
  • 53 thanks

Posted 12 June 2018 - 06:22 PM

oil changed every 5-6 miles 

Is that why you type so erratically? No time for accuracy, got oil changes to do! 

Must take you hours to go for your weekly shop :D

• John F, twosmoke300, Dave_Q and 1 other like this

#4398 OFFLINE   They_all_do_that_sir

They_all_do_that_sir

• Full Members
  • 2,614 posts
  • 13 thanks
  • LocationBelfast

Posted 12 June 2018 - 06:25 PM

Had to look at some sites for work up the North Coast, some of the best riding roads in Norn Iron so naturally I took the bike 09112f683b0e72db036ae8305a2b073e.jpg

• Hooli likes this

2003 W203 C200 Kompressor

2004 Skoda Roomster

1998 Kawasaki ZZR1100

19?? Honda CB200 Twin

1988 Honda NE50 Vision

#4399 OFFLINE   hairnet

hairnet

• Full Members
  • 8,978 posts
  • 15 thanks

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:56 PM

Had to look at some sites for work up the North Coast, some of the best riding roads in Norn Iron so naturally I took the bus https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2018061...

• They_all_do_that_sir likes this

#4400 OFFLINE   Nyphur

Nyphur

hooptie life

• Full Members
  • 3,560 posts
  • 53 thanks

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:53 PM

This will be a long set of posts but hoping some will be able to respond with some insight, or at least it will be a useful process to go through my thoughts on which bike I should go see/buy…

I’ve decided to go ahead with a 600cc supersports bike, looking at very late 90’s/early 00’s. Might be right for me, might be wrong, but its what I THINK I want, so lets see how it goes… can always sell it if not.

Narrowed it down to a few (obvious) models in vague order of preference….

Kawasaki ZX-6R: As mentioned above these are the bike that I always used to think were “cool” before I knew anything at all about bikes. Seem to be written up as very good bikes to ride, generally reliable with no major issues. The 4 carb setup appeals in a perverse way but perhaps buying trouble there? Plenty of these about it seems.

Suzuki GSX-R600: The more I look at these the more they grow on me. Understand they have an reputation for dick head riders, but I’m a dick head anyway, so no great shame. The post 00 ones seem to be fuel injected which might be a plus. Again don’t seem to be any major issues and a good few of them about (though LOTS of them looking the equivalent of a barried up corsa).

Honda CBR600F: Supposedly dead reliable. Looks wise they don’t really do much for me, but I guess to ride these bikes are probably all much of a muchness in my hands. Seem less “inspiring” to me than the above two, and I wonder if I’ll be as keen to go out for a ride of an evening as I would on the above two.

Triumph Daytona: I’d love a 675 but they’re out of budget, and though I like the looks of the 600/650 from what I’ve read they’re a step behind the Japanese rivals above. Still a good few around and they do look excellent. My research suggests they eat rectifiers but no other major issues.

^^ In writing this and looking back at the bikes I've realised that the Triumph's realistically aren't going to get a look in.

So, I’ve scoured MCN, Autotrader, eBay (surprisingly expensive) and Gumtree (unsurprisingly full of ropey looking tat) within 50 miles or so of me and pulled out a few likely candidates. I’ve discounted anything too heavily modified (insurance) and anything obviously barried or crash damaged beyond anything relatively light. I've also discounted a few local-ish dealers as having read their reviews no one seems to have a good thing to say about them. I know its not in keeping with AS ethos but I’d like something I can ride/look at and be pleased to own as well as being mechanically sound, rather than rough but sound (until I drop it or throw it down the road at least). Budget as close to £2.5k or under, but as some of the links below show I’ll go a little higher if need be and hope to do a deal.

So those adverts below with my very brief thoughts in the positive and negative…. Click the make/model name for the link. Appreciate there’s a lot to go through but I’d really appreciate you guys thoughts.

#4401 OFFLINE   Nyphur

Nyphur

hooptie life

• Full Members
  • 3,560 posts
  • 53 thanks

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:55 PM

Kawasaki ZX-6R / £2495 / 33k (ZX6R#1)

+ Long MOT, Warranty, Dealer sale, new chain/sprockets

- Exhaust looks wank but guess I could sell it, done next to no miles the last 7 years, need to check advisories (binding front/rear brakes) have been fixed

kwa1.jpg

Kawasaki ZX-6R / £2595 / 28k (ZX6R#2)

+ Long MOT, Warranty, Dealer sale, new tyres, pretty standard

- Again a wanky exhaust, not as nice to look at as the green to my eyes but not bad, a bit more money than above

kwa2.jpg

Kawasaki ZX-6R / £2695 / 13k (same dealer as above) (ZX6R#3)

+ Long MOT, Warranty, Dealer sale, recent service, very low miles (unsure if this is good or bad given the age)

- looks like its been off the road for 10 years until now -ex track bike?, Missing “Ninja” and “ZX-6R” stickers – removed to make it look like a bigger bike or replaced crash damaged fairings?, I don’t like the screen

kwa3.jpg

Kawasaki ZX-6R / £2000 / 16k (ZX6R#4)

+ FSH, recent rear tyre, alarm, standard with spare exhaust & stand, pretty much the same as the above bikes but cheaper (no warranty though obviously), again low miles (good/bad?)

- Private sale, no plate so I can’t check MOT history yet, I don’t like the screen

kwa4.jpg

#4402 OFFLINE   Nyphur

Nyphur

hooptie life

• Full Members
  • 3,560 posts
  • 53 thanks

Suzuki GSX-R600 / £2250 / 13k (GSXR'#1)

+ Long MOT, looks well looked after, low miles (good/bad?), alarm & immobiliser, "Cheap" compared to others I'm looking at

- Private sale, I don’t like the screen, no plate so I can’t check out the history

gs1.jpg

Suzuki GSX-R600 / £2650 / 32k (GSXR#2)

+ Long MOT, pretty standard, dealer sale, gives me a semi lob-on to look at, looks immaculate

- A few owners, did 25k in 2012, then seems to have done total of 2k miles since then – ex track bike? Advertised as 2k less miles than the MOT history says, a bit over max budget

gs2.jpg

Suzuki GSX-R600 / £2795 / 12k (GSXR#3)

+ Best looking bike I’m linking – makes my trousers fully tight, low miles (good / bad), sounds/looks very well looked after, alarm

- Private sale, Loads of guff in the advert, top whack of budget (pretty far over), covered next to no miles recently.

gs3.jpg

Suzuki GSX-R600 / £2200 / 28k (GSXR#4)

+ Again a proper looker, looks like decent tyres, looks well looked after

- Not a lot to go on in the advert, private sale, no plate to look up MOT history. Not too dissimilar to the above buke but £500 cheaper and I get he impression he would be more keen to do a deal

gs4.jpg

#4403 OFFLINE   Nyphur

Nyphur

hooptie life

• Full Members
  • 3,560 posts
  • 53 thanks

Honda CBR600F / £2599 / 27k (CBR#1)

+ Recent tyres, looks well looked after, looks pretty nice compared to other CBRs, long MOT, MOT history suggest fairly regular use

- Need to check MOT advisories fixed (loose chain guard, headbearing free play), MOT history a few patchy results, quite expensive for a CBR, private sale

h1.jpg

Honda CBR600F / £2200 / 38k (CBR#2)

+ Honda dealer sale, Long MOT, Warranty, Recent service, standard, pretty good MOT history, again pretty good looking for the Honda

- Doesn’t do much for me in the trouser dept but not too bad, slightly higher miles than others I’m looking at, but no big deal, struggling to find much wrong….

h2.jpg

Honda CBR600F / £2500 / 17k (CBR#3)

+ Newer than the others, recent service / tyres,

- Short MOT, private sale, can’t see the plate for MOT history, looks pretty wanky IMO

h3.JPG

#4404 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 13,228 posts
  • 161 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:02 PM

The 4 carb setup appeals in a perverse way but perhaps buying trouble there?

Unless the bike has been sat for ages so the carbs have gummed up then at the age you're looking at carbed bikes often run smoother at low revs/throttle (where you'll be riding for a bit) than the early FI systems.

Plus FI bikes run four throttle bodies so need balancing exactly like carbs so no savings on servicing costs/times.

• Nyphur likes this

Thanked by 1 Member:
Nyphur

#4405 OFFLINE   Nyphur

Nyphur

hooptie life

• Full Members
  • 3,560 posts
  • 53 thanks

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:04 PM

Lots to digest there, I'd really appreciate if anyone has the time to have a look.

Current thinking is that the front runners are ZX6R#1, ZX6R#2, GSXR#1, GSXR#4 and CBR#2 - but it changes by the hour.....

I'm probably over thinking all this and should just go and buy a bike.... but again, I'd really appreciate everyone elses thoughts.

#4406 OFFLINE   Dave_Q

Dave_Q

• Full Members
  • 4,744 posts
  • 61 thanks
  • LocationConveniently located for the M62 and well regarded local schooling

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:09 PM

Just can't get excited about those CBRs and I'm generally a Honda apologist. 

Either ZX6R #1, as it's the right colour, and a 636 - the slightly larger engine was well received by the press at the time, or go and wave 1900 cash under the nose of GSX-R #4.

I know there is a degree of reassurance in buying from a dealer but for me it's not worth paying an extra £500 or whatever, just put the money to one side if you're worried.

Any protection from the dealer is gone after 3 months I think anyway.

• Nyphur likes this

09 Fiat Multipla

99 SV650

too many pushbikes (apparently)

Thanked by 1 Member:
Nyphur

#4407 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 13,228 posts
  • 161 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:11 PM

If you can resist buying the first shiney thing you see then a trip to a dealer or two to sit on a few bikes is worth it. You might find one you really like just feels so wrong you'll know you'll never enjoy it. Surprisingly small differences between similar bikes make a big difference to how they feel.

• Nyphur likes this

Thanked by 1 Member:
Nyphur

#4408 OFFLINE   Nyphur

Nyphur

hooptie life

• Full Members
  • 3,560 posts
  • 53 thanks

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:21 PM

If you can resist buying the first shiney thing you see then a trip to a dealer or two to sit on a few bikes is worth it. You might find one you really like just feels so wrong you'll know you'll never enjoy it. Surprisingly small differences between similar bikes make a big difference to how they feel.

One of the dealers I've been looking at actually has all 3 bikes in stock at the moment (though the CBR and GSXR are out of budget) I think I should head over and see if I can ride them all at the weekend.

I am not one to get too over excited and just jump in so I don't have too many worries there. I like to have lots of information and take my time to digest it and make what I feel the best, most informed decision I can.

Quite useful at work, but a bit frustrating when looking at something as subjective as cars/bikes.

• Hooli likes this

#4409 OFFLINE   Nyphur

Nyphur

hooptie life

• Full Members
  • 3,560 posts
  • 53 thanks

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:24 PM

Just can't get excited about those CBRs and I'm generally a Honda apologist. 

Either ZX6R #1, as it's the right colour, and a 636 - the slightly larger engine was well received by the press at the time, or go and wave 1900 cash under the nose of GSX-R #4.

I know there is a degree of reassurance in buying from a dealer but for me it's not worth paying an extra £500 or whatever, just put the money to one side if you're worried.

Any protection from the dealer is gone after 3 months I think anyway.

I can't either, but there's something about the anonymous looking blue one I can't quite put my finger on....

The only reaplus with a dealer is (I THINK? can you guys confirm) they'll let me test ride the bikes with a small deposit, whereas testing a private bike I'm going to be dropping £2.5k in their hand and hoping they're still there when I get back....

#4410 OFFLINE   Jazoli

Jazoli

• Full Members
  • 1,637 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationThe Lakes

Posted 12 June 2018 - 10:04 PM

They all look dear to me, I have had examples of quite a few of them and have never paid much more than 1750, I do think the price of second hand bikes has risen.

I also think you are over thinking it, just go and look at a couple and buy the one that is in the best condition and has recent consumables, tyres/chain/sprockets etc as they can add £500 onto the price, theres not really a bad bike there, the best built will be the honda, then the Kawasaki with the Suzuki bringing up the rear, you want a bike that's been ridden in summer only as winter ruins them, my previous Hayabusa looked lovely and shiny and had only done 20k but was a mess under the plastic.

The Kawasaki's will be the fastest, with the honda and Suzuki about the same but different power delivery (i thought the gsxr600 to be gutless) there is quite a difference with the 636cc motor in the Kawasaki.

Have you seen this?

https://rover.ebay.c...tm/362349103972

They are a great bike, and the right colour

Left field choice would be a 929 blade, same weight as a 600 but an easy 130bhp and effortless to ride and all day comfy.
  • Nyphur likes this

sigs are shit, wgaf?

Thanked by 1 Member:
Nyphur

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users