The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

Apologies if I am posting in the wrong thread. I own a Honda 125 Super Dream that I am considering selling 

Yer mad, that is a thing of beauty.

However - carandclassic.com seems quite a reasonable place to advertise as does Autotraders bikes section - the former seems to attract less wallys and tyre kickers ( and "experts who would be doing you a favour taking it off your hands for £50 and a packet of refreshers").

Yer mad, that is a thing of beauty.

However - carandclassic.com seems quite a reasonable place to advertise as does Autotraders bikes section - the former seems to attract less wallys and tyre kickers ( and "experts who would be doing you a favour taking it off your hands for £50 and a packet of refreshers").

There's also Facebook marketplace if you wanted 30 odd people coming tomorrow night to buy your bike and not show up. You get used to that after about 3 or 4 of them.

One lad that kept saying he was. 100% coming for the bike, messaged me the night before to say he'd found another bike..quelle surprise!

Later that night he messaged to say he was not getting that bike and would take mine if it was still available. I answered "no problem" to virtually every message.

As it turned out he gave me an extra £50 over my asking price for the bike. Not a bad result I guess for tolerating fuckwits!

Just sold my Hyundai i20 to an Irish chap that contacted me through Gumtree. The car was being collected every day from Tuesday or Wednesday this week on a transporter - it was finally picked up this evening!

:D

As we used to call it the "Thunderpussy", the ladies version of the "Thunderarse".

Japanese vehicle naming has always been rather poor, another example being the Honda Fireplace...

Apart from the Suzuki Hayabusa - isn’t it a jap bird of prey that eats blackbirds ? The guy that thought of that as the name must have had a boner for weeks !

I'm also of the 'buy with your heart' persuasion - I had a CBR600RR that was murderously uncomfortable after about 45 mins... but those 45 mins were massive fun.

That bike always seemed to be en-route to an accident though, my brain simply couldn't process information fast enough to keep up with it.  I signed up for the IAM thing, which was pretty useful though pedantic (I didn't complete it), but the best thing I did was a day with Rapid Training - they're retired bike cops.  He soon spotted my problems - failing to look far enough down the road, poor road positioning, and failure to understand how to use the vanishing point (we got off the bikes and walked the road so he could demonstrate).  It was a revelation, I've not had brain-overload or a close shave since (and the CBR was replaced with a ZZR1400).

Totally agree - money spent on training is money well spent, and I'd do a Rapid course over any IAM course.. I am lucky in that my employers  paid for me to be trained to to Advanced Level with the police back in 2001 which is maintained with an annual refresher course. And no, I do not work for the police. And as already said, raising your head and looking far ahead is key to safe riding. 

I ride all sorts of bikes, my own and work ones, ranging from my 125 twist and go Yamaha to my KTM RC8, and my work bikes which are all a minimum of 1000cc. Some work bikes I don't particularly like riding as the seats get uncomfortable after a couple of hours - compared to the RC8, with its half inch thick seat, which remains comfortable after 8 hours.

If you want to see how the seating position of ANY bike will suit your particular bodily dimensions, have a look at http://cycle-ergo.com (which contains every bike you can think of) and displays seat height, forward lean angle, knee angle and hip angle, plus your height and inside leg measurement. It's great to see how the bike you ride and find comfortable compares with, say a Ducati Panigale, and you can see how drastically they differ or how remarkably similar they are. Great way to spend an hour looking at 20 bikes before trawling around the shops to actually sit on one.

Apart from the Suzuki Hayabusa - isn’t it a jap bird of prey that eats blackbirds ? The guy that thought of that as the name must have had a boner for weeks !

Thats correct - and is a rare example of a sense of humour actually getting beyond the marketting team/focus groups.

I'm sick of bikeshite and the constant cycle of having to fix stuff on older bikes so bought this today, its not comfy but its fucking fun!

Picked up this brand new with zero miles on the clock, 

sqeNQFd.jpg

Managed 221 miles before my arse cried anough

9gMCVVl.jpg

Its great fun, and plenty quick enough,I was told to keep it under 6800rpm for 600 miles, fuck that, I don't think it was below that all day :D,  it feels like a bicycle after the FZ1 which was planted and stable, this is anything but :D it gets a bit flighty at the top end of 5th and 6th gears, and likes to waggle the bars a lot, its also impossible to keep the front wheel down, which is nice, the OE Bridgestone S20 tyres are crap and the ABS seems over enthusiastic but overall its great, I might fit an Akrapovic to it but they are a grand, I'm currently trying to secure one a bit cheaper than that.

4gjDuGQ.jpg

Pic without the screen fitted, its now been put back on.

I'm sick of bikeshite and the constant cycle of having to fix stuff on older bikes......

I felt the same yesterday, having spent over 2 hours trying to adjust the chain on the SV. The adjusters, nicely secured inside the swing arm rather than outside, had seized solid and no amount of turning the allen bolts had any effect Had to use a cold chisel to get the end plates off, which had fused on.

Once off I could see that both sides were compacted with road dirt and once all this was dug out i could see the corroded adjusters. The sheer amount of dirt really got me. Internal adjusters polished up and everything greased up- everything slid around as it should.

Riding it this morning made me glad that I have it - it's a real fun bike to ride.

Hope that you enjoy the Yam-quite liked the Tracer I test rode, but got the RC8 instead - the pull of the V-twin is still strong

Spotted an older bloke in a flat cap riding a maxi scooter past Gatwick heading for the M23 a couple of days ago, I wonder how far he got without it flying off?

Is riding without a helmet the new popular thing to do?

If you are fourteen on a stolen scooter, then yes.

I suspect either the man was the boss of a scooter crime gang, and knows da fedz can't chase you with no lid on, or maybe it was a Piaggio mp3, where eny fule kno that if you space the front wheels out by about 25mm a side your skull becomes impervious to crash damage.

I'm sick of bikeshite and the constant cycle of having to fix stuff on older bikes so bought this today, its not comfy but its fucking fun!

Picked up this brand new with zero miles on the clock,

sqeNQFd.jpg

Managed 221 miles before my arse cried anough

9gMCVVl.jpg

Its great fun, and plenty quick enough,I was told to keep it under 6800rpm for 600 miles, fuck that, I don't think it was below that all day :D, it feels like a bicycle after the FZ1 which was planted and stable, this is anything but :D it gets a bit flighty at the top end of 5th and 6th gears, and likes to waggle the bars a lot, its also impossible to keep the front wheel down, which is nice, the OE Bridgestone S20 tyres are crap and the ABS seems over enthusiastic but overall its great, I might fit an Akrapovic to it but they are a grand, I'm currently trying to secure one a bit cheaper than that.

4gjDuGQ.jpg

Pic without the screen fitted, its now been put back on.

That's very nice! I always said I'd never have a brand new bike but I'm running out of reasons not to, cash monies aside.

If I had a couple of other financial bits squared off I would be seriously tempted to go buy a new Kawasaki Z900rs. All the pictures I've seen make them look a bit meh but sitting on one at the Belfast Bike Show in Feb made me feel itchy trigger. Its a very nice bike in the metal

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

That's very nice! I always said I'd never have a brand new bike but I'm running out of reasons not to, cash monies aside.

If I had a couple of other financial bits squared off I would be seriously tempted to go buy a new Kawasaki Z900rs. All the pictures I've seen make them look a bit meh but sitting on one at the Belfast Bike Show in Feb made me feel itchy trigger. Its a very nice bike in the metal

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

I test rode the Z900RS last weekend, it was a lovely bike and felt like a premium product, it also had all the latest electrics which was nice but not really needed, I liked it, it wasn't sporty at all which for me crossed it off the list, I'd have one as a second bike any day.

2vnfC8Y.jpg

The PCP deal I was offered on one was £1200 down and £120/month for 3 years, depends whether you want to rent or buy one I guess.

Guest Hooli

One other (potentially dumb question), do the kinds of bikes I'm looking at run happily on 95 octane, or do they prefer to sup super?.

I don't know of any bikes that need super, I'm sure others will tell me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I don't know of any bikes that need super, I'm sure others will tell me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Nothing as far as I know, you will see a benefit on modern bikes which will adjust accordingly but straight unleaded is the norm.

Nothing as far as I know, you will see a benefit on modern bikes which will adjust accordingly but straight unleaded is the norm.

Very few modern bikes will benefit. Only a small number have knock sensors (some BMWs, the H2?).

Total waste of money to use higher octane in most bikes.

That's a lovely bike, I had a CB125T in my fleet back in the 1990s. Silky smooth compared to the 125 singles :-)

It's difficult to assess value though... at a guess you might get somewhere between £800 and £1250, if the pro-link suspension is in good order.

I’d be interested at the lower end of that valuation