The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

If we're talking cheap luggage my solution is a tenner tail bag from Sportsbikeshop. Then shoving a ruck sack in it, which I prefer to wearing one while riding.

As good a picture as I have is below:

On the upside it's cheap enough to just leave attached to the bike when parked up, it's also large enough that it inserting a bag isn't a faff. It's only had showers as a test rather than proper rain but as I then have a bag inside realistically for me personally I can't imagine riding in conditions that would get through both layers.

The downsides are the straps that come with it aren't confdence inspiring, I'd replace them if I was doing longer distances and the zipper pull has bent which doesn't exactly scream quality.

post-20069-0-48625100-1526450824_thumb.jpg

No, they're made in Germany IIRC.

I think it's a bit like the Mash idea - they make out it's a French bike but it's just a Shineray at the end of the day with slightly revised specifications?

"Kreidler is more well-known for its e-bikes and bicycles, but has now launched a new motorcycle line-up, using a generic Chinese-made, Honda-inspired, fuel-injected 125cc single for most of the models. This makes 8.4kW, meets Euro 4, and can drag the 112kg CR-125I up to motorway pace if required.

The Kreidler costs 3999 Euros in its state of origin. LED lights, a stainless steel exhaust system, inverted front forks, and adjustable suspension help give the CR-125I more cachet than most commuter rides."

Could be wrong of course.

But there's this:

"Vor einigen Jahren kaufte die Cycle Union aus Oldenburg, bekannt für Fahrräder, den traditionsreichen Namen, verlegte den Firmensitz ins westfälische Rheda-Wiedenbrück und lässt Mopeds, Roller und 125er bei Quingqi in China unter dem Label Kreidler mit eigenen Ideen produzieren."

Several years ago, the Cycle Union from Oldenburg, known for its bikes, bought the traditional name, moved the company headquarters to Rheda-Wiedenbrück in Westphalia and produced mopeds, scooters and 125cc's at Quingqi in China under the label Kreidler.

It's not in front of me but I do recall that in an Observers Book of Motorcycles from the 70's I have it mentions that Kreidler would issue medals (or was it a badge for the bike?) to owners who exceeded certain mileages. I think the first medal was for 100,000km. On a 50cc moped. Will the 'modern' ones be capable of this?

I think there was some connection between Kreidler and Van Veen (as an aside some one I used to work with had only ever ridden a motorbike once (and this was as a pillion) - the motorbike? A Van Veen OCR1000 (look them up)).

Later - I was right, according to the 1977 edition of the Observers Book of Motorcycles - 'The company's faith in the reliability of its product is reflected by the golden pin and performance plaque that it presents to Kreidler owners on completion of 100,000km.'

The 'product' was the Kreidler Florettt Sports.kreidler-florett-modeller-i-dk-knallert-

Edited by martc

There's a few lads on the Lexmoto Facebook page that have logged very high mileages on their Chinese machines. One lad supposedly had done 176,000 and had a spare engine with around 70k on it! There are a few folk that will put down anything Chinese as a liability but they did say the same thing about the Japanese bikes back in the day as well.

I know that a few of my pals managed to kill what are now considered to be Japanese "classics", at a very early age!

One notable Kawasaki KH125 managed 9 months before it was FUBAR....

Almost ready for summer. Bit gutted I didn't do anything with the bike over winter as I could then have MOT'd it a month ago but here we are.

Noticed after rebuilding the carbs two sliders weren't lifting. Had a panic the diaphragms were torn hence lack of vacuum but in the end I hadn't seated them properly.

Brakes need a clean up, I could probably do with properly rebuilding the calipers as last time I replaced seals one or two of the pistons were borderline...... I'll get them good enough for MOT now and worry about that later. (long term aim was always to fit different calipers anyway, well known mod on these as the standard 4 pot Tokicos are average at best)

MOT booked for next Wednesday..... Going to the NW200 on Saturday so my biking mojo will be mega high by the time the bike is legal!!

e159e370356516d3a5719cb253b65b17.jpg

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

There's a few lads on the Lexmoto Facebook page that have logged very high mileages on their Chinese machines. One lad supposedly had done 176,000 and had a spare engine with around 70k on it! There are a few folk that will put down anything Chinese as a liability but they did say the same thing about the Japanese bikes back in the day as well.

I know that a few of my pals managed to kill what are now considered to be Japanese "classics", at a very early age!

One notable Kawasaki KH125 managed 9 months before it was FUBAR....

I wouldn't dismiss Chinese bikes out of hand. Some are shit and some are fit for purpose.

Had a Chinese PY80 clone as a field bike and it was ace fun. An adult on a kids bike will always blunt performance somewhat but it kept coming back for more

This happened a couple of days ago

The second Vivaro has been sold so I have some spending money for a big trial bike

Of course,everything I've been keeping an eye on has either disappeared or gone up in price....

Although this is strangely appealing

post-8026-0-50537000-1526546783_thumb.jpg

post-8026-0-10679000-1526546815_thumb.png

Almost ready for summer. Bit gutted I didn't do anything with the bike over winter as I could then have MOT'd it a month ago but here we are.

Noticed after rebuilding the carbs two sliders weren't lifting. Had a panic the diaphragms were torn hence lack of vacuum but in the end I hadn't seated them properly.

Brakes need a clean up, I could probably do with properly rebuilding the calipers as last time I replaced seals one or two of the pistons were borderline...... I'll get them good enough for MOT now and worry about that later. (long term aim was always to fit different calipers anyway, well known mod on these as the standard 4 pot Tokicos are average at best)

MOT booked for next Wednesday..... Going to the NW200 on Saturday so my biking mojo will be mega high by the time the bike is legal!!

e159e370356516d3a5719cb253b65b17.jpg

Looks like a tidy example, have you rotated the chain eccentrics to make it sit a bit higher and steer a bit sharper as yours looks low at the back, its a simple and free mod that does improve things quite a bit :)

Looks like a tidy example, have you rotated the chain eccentrics to make it sit a bit higher and steer a bit sharper as yours looks low at the back, its a simple and free mod that does improve things quite a bit :)

Twas like that when I bought it, but then the fairings were held together with wood screws, the front fork settings were massively different on both legs and the suspension bearings dry as a dry thing.

I spent a bit of time sorting all that and just put everything to stock as a base point, but I really should set it up properly for my weight.....

Swapping the eccentrics seems a standard mod

I fancy more anti-social end cans. Being a motad nexus system my cans and link pipes are one. Aftermarket Zzr1200 link pipes fit but are around £100 alone.

Speaking to some exhaust part suppliers about straight pipe with a 20 degree bend whigh might work and looks to be about a tenner a side....maybe later in the summer I'll put a bit of effort into this and end up with a proper ghetto exhaust....

Guest Hooli

I cut the end off my sunglasses with an angle grinder. Much more comfy under my lid as the kick out at the end of the arm was making them rub behind my ear. Problem is they now try to plough the side of my head putting them on under my lid...

Win some, lose some. I'll have to see if I can put up with that or buy more glasses. It's annoying that my old glasses were perfect but since HG shut I can't find replacements anywhere.

Guest Hooli

I did that too ! But put a bit of heatshring on the arms to stop it digging in

Good call! I've got a load of that around too.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I cut the end off my sunglasses with an angle grinder. Much more comfy under my lid as the kick out at the end of the arm was making them rub behind my ear. Problem is they now try to plough the side of my head putting them on under my lid...

Win some, lose some. I'll have to see if I can put up with that or buy more glasses. It's annoying that my old glasses were perfect but since HG shut I can't find replacements anywhere.

Shitty cheap £1.99 ones in Aldi at the moment. Straightish arms v comfy inside lids.

Guest Hooli

I've got some of the Lidl ones from t'other week but they sit too far from my face so would let wind in at speed.

Black visor cos I is rebel, shit if you are late getting back though..

Guest Hooli

Visors?

How very modern, open face lid here so I wear sunglasses & carry clear ones in case I'm out late.