The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

Bike for commuting - Honda NTV650. Shaft drive, cheap, what more could you ask for.

Green Lane - Honda CRF230. Cheap (for a small trailie) due to lack of power and basic suspension. Perfect off road novice bike because of a super low seat hight (by modern trail bike standards) and soft smooth power. It might struggle a bit on some of the really technical lanes but it won't get you into trouble and that's far more important. If you can find an electric start XR250 its a better bike than the CRF230. I have one and adore it. Sensible seat height, good off road and will sit on the motorway too, a great all rounder. CRF250 is ok but I find it a bit tall and heavy for what it is. It's got KTM seat height but without the light weight, great suspension and mega power.

While you can easily commute on a trail bike they are far more of a theft risk than most other bikes under £5k value so this is something to consider depending on where you have to park every day. 

Im limited really to one bike, so needs to try and be the best of both worlds.

Security with commuting isnt too bad as I work at one of Her Maj's secure institutions so at work its locked up tighter than a nuns chuff in a dedicated secure bike garage. At home its the shed with more locks than a lock shop sale.

I'd probably go for another CB500 if wanting a commuter hack just for commuting only. The NT650 sounds interesting though - I hadnt realised they were shafties.

mk1 versys

have seen merkins put off road tyres on them

looking at buying summat to ship to nz and these come in well under 2k with not stupid miles on them

only probs in 2 years and 40k was split stick coils - they live deep in head and split causing misfires but densos coils sort it and half the cost of kwak

this might be up for sale once i decide what to buy next

post-4817-0-71621100-1526325782_thumb.jpg

Versys' are great bikes, really great, mine was fantastic and I'd have another if I didn't spend my weekends riding with mates on sportsbikes.

I am going to buy another as a second bike when I can afford it.

mk1 versys

have seen merkins put off road tyres on them

looking at buying summat to ship to nz and these come in well under 2k with not stupid miles on them

only probs in 2 years and 40k was split stick coils - they live deep in head and split causing misfires but densos coils sort it and half the cost of kwak

this might be up for sale once i decide what to buy next

I don’t need it but I want even more bikes that I don’t have room. How much?

For any fellow Bikers interested in a new backpack, I spotted this and promptly ordered one seeing as it was 80% off.

I wouldn't pay full price for it but at this price I couldn't resist!

https://www.xlmoto.co.uk/slipstream-waterproof-mc-backpack

I bought one of these a couple of months ago and I like it - straps are long so no struggle to get it on, although it has leaked slightly after I rode for about an hour in heavy rain.

I go through backpacks quite quickly, usually ones I get off a market for around a tenner. Fed up with this I went out and splurged £70 or so on a Knox - absolute garbage - leaked,  zips broke, seams split, all within a couple of months. Went back to market stall stuff until I got the Course pack. 

My MZ Baghira doesn't meet your sub 500 (its a 660) or mag wheels, but it'd make a cracking commuter. You'd have a grand left from your budget too!

Great bikes - although not the prettiest, built well (parts bin special with lots of KTM and BMW parts, decent Acerbis plastics and super reliable Yamaha 660 engine.

I did 13,000 miles on mine in just over 6 months commuting into work, with just a few oil changes and drive train adjustment.  Bit heavy for off road stuff though - more "S

treetmoto" than "Supermoto"

I bought one of these a couple of months ago and I like it - straps are long so no struggle to get it on, although it has leaked slightly after I rode for about an hour in heavy rain.

I go through backpacks quite quickly, usually ones I get off a market for around a tenner. Fed up with this I went out and splurged £70 or so on a Knox - absolute garbage - leaked, zips broke, seams split, all within a couple of months. Went back to market stall stuff until I got the Course pack.

Have you spoken to Knox about it? The rep for them that used to visit us 10 years ago would have been mortified about that performance, unfortunately they may not care as much now?

Suggestions please for me saving my pennies for a commuter bike.

1) lightweight

2) small capacity ( sub 500cc)

4) Wouldnt say no to something with a bit of ground clearance for green lane use.

3) Prefer cast wheels but not essential. ( I seem to fook up spoked rears in short order).

Forget 4 and get a CB Two Fifty?

I go through backpacks quite quickly, usually ones I get off a market for around a tenner. Fed up with this I went out and splurged £70 or so on a Knox - absolute garbage - leaked, zips broke, seams split, all within a couple of months. Went back to market stall stuff until I got the Course pack.

Buy Kreiga, not cheap but very good. My ex manager swore by them and he's a fussy bigger.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

I'm not so much a bike type but I know a little and I thought Kreidler were just name from tiddler racing back in the 70's.

Last week this was outside a restaurant in Bad Neuenahr in Germany. I didn't see it move in a few days but the other bike parked with it came and went. Not shite, it looked very tidy and I assume rare in the UK.

post-17633-0-76900600-1526412011_thumb.jpg