The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

Hopefully putting the replacement engine in my 150 quid versys this weekend . Will stand me in at about 900 quid all done not including what I get for the old engine / casings . Not bad for a 2010 bike

That’s mega value, is that the 1000? Test rode a 2013 one last year that was up at £6k but they wouldn’t budge so I bought a Crosstourer instead cos it was redder.

Fun and productive bike weekend . Did a road trail on Sunday in beautiful sunshine. Rode like a spanner but the little ke did me proud as usual . Took a newbie mate along and he struggled but enjoyed it .
Yesterday I was up early and went for a little hours ride on the non electric pushbike with its new slick tyres. Rides nicely and hope to start commuting on this soon once I get a tiny bit fitter.
After the cycle I went to work in the van and collected my £150 versys and it’s replacement engine . Got the bugger fitted and running . :-) new motor sounds sweet too and much less corroded than the old one. Bike stands me in at 845 quid so far .
Any free minutes this week will be prepping the 250x for a local 3 he race on Sunday . I thought I was gonna be bored being single . No chance of that !

Guest Hooli

Now the weather has changed I'm amazed at all the all weather bikers out & about, I dunno how those guys & girls do it in this heat. As always I'm tempted to park mine up till temps drop down to survivable levels.

Now the weather has changed I'm amazed at all the all weather bikers out & about, I dunno how those guys & girls do it in this heat. As always I'm tempted to park mine up till temps drop down to survivable levels.

Any consolation I got absolutely soaked feet today, well my feet and hands as the rukka kit was excellent just the cheapo boots and gloves leaked lots.

I bought myself a textile jacket last year and have been wearing it this year, before the May holiday weekend. I'm amazed that I only need to wear a t-shirt underneath and still feel warm!

Regarding riding in hot weather, I lived for 6 years in Hong Kong and you simply couldn't wear sensible riding gear there in the summer. It was usually jeans and T-shirt with gloves, at best, at that time of year.

Guest Hooli

Readjusted my throttle cables now they've bedded in today, odd how one had got loose & t'other tight. That & a bubble of oily gloop on a sensor should fix the crap running when cold, it never felt serious, just annoying.

Tested this tonight when I went to a local bike night. It now runs properly from cold so I'd call that a result. Still needs the throttles balancing to be perfect, but I need to get new pipes for the gauges as they've perished before I can do that.

Sometimes the truth can be stranger than fiction so here goes. Let's assume the following story is a work of fiction written in first person perspective.

Part one. (No pun intended)

Back in 2002 a mate wanted to do his full bike ticket and asked me to run him to the training school he'd chosen as he'd be wearing full bike gear and couldn't drive in it. I agreed as I was a biker up until 1997 and was interested in seeing how learning to ride had changed since my day of a test consisting of a trip around the block on a GP100 as it was in my day. I got chatting to the instructor and we hit it off so when it came to the road element of my friend's CBT he threw me the keys to one of the  ER500 Direct Access bikes and invited me to come along for a laugh and obviously I agreed as it'd been 5 years since I'd had a bike. When we got back to the compound the senior instructor was for some reason impressed with my riding and laid back attitude and made me the offer of being down trained as a CBT instructor giving newbies lessons in both the classroom and on the road on our scooters and CG125s. For some reason I jumped at the chance as it gave me the opportunity to ride bikes and get paid for it.

Now time for a little description of what the bike school set up was like. Every other school had instructors that acted and behaved like wannabe police motorcyclists, even down to their choice of ex plod BMW and Pan European bikes they used for lessons. We were somewhat different in being a school who were more interested in the fun aspect of biking and didn't take ourselves too seriously. When the call came out for marshals to assist on the annual Wirral Egg Run we declined due to not wanting to have anything to do with authority. The other main training school in the area had an after Egg Run family friendly get together at their premises involving bouncy castles and a BBQ while our effort was different, the senior instructor had a pub as well so we had an after run party involving a bawdy rock band playing while our girlfriends served drinks dressed in fishnets taking it in turns to dance in a cage.... Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself so let's get back to the story. As I had yet to attend my instructor assessment course in Cardington I was only allowed to teach CBTs and our younger learners who weren't allowed to do Direct Access due to their tender age. Some were genuine bikers in the making but I also had to deal with scores of 16 year olds who knew it all and wanted you to finish so they could ride home on their scooter and suffer two wheels until next year when they could buy the Corsa of their dreams. A good 90% of these already had the machine control element pretty much licked before they got to us, the other 10%, mainly girls, were somewhat challenging to say the least. The number of times I asked the question can you ride a push bike only to be answered in the negative is more than I dare remember. One such girl who I shall call Chantelle-Marie for the purposes of this post was a particular pupil who illustrates this point perfectly. She came to us as she had a job offer and the DWP did/does have a scooter commuter scheme where if you had a firm job offer but public transport wasn't an option they'd bung you a new scooter, helmet and CBT to get you off the dole queue. She was utterly fucking hopeless. Both myself and the senior instructor tried to get her to stay upright on our Honda Vision without any great success. When we eventually got her to go in a straight line she'd promptly fall off to one side when she was told to stop. Undeterred I ended up running around the training compound in front of her getting her to aim for my arse! Sadly she was distracted by one of our fence posts and as your eyes are connected to your head, which is connected to your body which is in turn connected to your arms she made a full throttle beeline for said post uprooting it and writing off our scooter at the same time.

Part Two to follow next time I'm at home drinking.

Sometimes the truth can be stranger than fiction so here goes. Let's assume the following story is a work of fiction written in first person perspective.

Part one. (No pun intended)

Back in 2002 a mate wanted to do his full bike ticket and asked me to run him to the training school he'd chosen as he'd be wearing full bike gear and couldn't drive in it. I agreed as I was a biker up until 1997 and was interested in seeing how learning to ride had changed since my day of a test consisting of a trip around the block on a GP100 as it was in my day. I got chatting to the instructor and we hit it off so when it came to the road element of my friend's CBT he threw me the keys to one of the  ER500 Direct Access bikes and invited me to come along for a laugh and obviously I agreed as it'd been 5 years since I'd had a bike. When we got back to the compound the senior instructor was for some reason impressed with my riding and laid back attitude and made me the offer of being down trained as a CBT instructor giving newbies lessons in both the classroom and on the road on our scooters and CG125s. For some reason I jumped at the chance as it gave me the opportunity to ride bikes and get paid for it.

Now time for a little description of what the bike school set up was like. Every other school had instructors that acted and behaved like wannabe police motorcyclists, even down to their choice of ex plod BMW and Pan European bikes they used for lessons. We were somewhat different in being a school who were more interested in the fun aspect of biking and didn't take ourselves too seriously. When the call came out for marshals to assist on the annual Wirral Egg Run we declined due to not wanting to have anything to do with authority. The other main training school in the area had an after Egg Run family friendly get together at their premises involving bouncy castles and a BBQ while our effort was different, the senior instructor had a pub as well so we had an after run party involving a bawdy rock band playing while our girlfriends served drinks dressed in fishnets taking it in turns to dance in a cage.... Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself so let's get back to the story. As I had yet to attend my instructor assessment course in Cardington I was only allowed to teach CBTs and our younger learners who weren't allowed to do Direct Access due to their tender age. Some were genuine bikers in the making but I also had to deal with scores of 16 year olds who knew it all and wanted you to finish so they could ride home on their scooter and suffer two wheels until next year when they could buy the Corsa of their dreams. A good 90% of these already had the machine control element pretty much licked before they got to us, the other 10%, mainly girls, were somewhat challenging to say the least. The number of times I asked the question can you ride a push bike only to be answered in the negative is more than I dare remember. One such girl who I shall call Chantelle-Marie for the purposes of this post was a particular pupil who illustrates this point perfectly. She came to us as she had a job offer and the DWP did/does have a scooter commuter scheme where if you had a firm job offer but public transport wasn't an option they'd bung you a new scooter, helmet and CBT to get you off the dole queue. She was utterly fucking hopeless. Both myself and the senior instructor tried to get her to stay upright on our Honda Vision without any great success. When we eventually got her to go in a straight line she'd promptly fall off to one side when she was told to stop. Undeterred I ended up running around the training compound in front of her getting her to aim for my arse! Sadly she was distracted by one of our fence posts and as your eyes are connected to your head, which is connected to your body which is in turn connected to your arms she made a full throttle beeline for said post uprooting it and writing off our scooter at the same time.

Part Two to follow next time I'm at home drinking.

I was a downtrained instructor for a couple of years, I never wanted to proceed any further, but I did have a lot of fun. looking forward to hearing some more stories.

One of my CBTs was done at a place that was based at a bike shop.

You met them at the shop and they did the off road bit on a local school car park, they took the bikes and people down in a van then left you there while they went back to the shop to get their own bikes.

When I got to the shop on the morning there was a completely ditched Piaggio Zip in the shop.

Asking what happened there, it turns out they left the keys with the bikes while they went back to the shop, leaving the assembled learners with an instruction not to ride the things as some sort of bizarre trust exercise.

Turns out he day before some lad had decided he couldn't wait, jumped on this thing and tried to ride it and they came back to find him in tears on the floor next to a very damaged ped about 2-3 metres from where they left it.

Obviously you can't actually fail a CBT so they fetched him another bike, got his dad to pay for the damage and he got his certificate at the end of the day.

I've been wondering for a while whether it's time to split the board into sections.

It's been great as it is, but traffic has increased & sometimes it's easy to miss interesting threads that drop off the first page.

I think you can go too far with splitting the forum up but definitely a separate playground for two wheeled shite would be useful - I think stuff gets lost in this thread, and there's some stuff in here which would flourish into great threads in their own right such as Warren T Claims instructor tales?

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

I've been wondering for a while whether it's time to split the board into sections.

Yeah and a load of old moaners start bleating at the slightest change even if it's for the greater good. :)

There's a lot of transient shit that has its place, but should be stuck in one forum. For sale / wanted / swaps, but each should have a separate thread. If it's without activity for more than a set period it should be auto-archived.

Tags just don't cut it.

Viewed the Yamaha T80 this eve in sunny Leeds, bunged a £50 deposit and he is bringing it to Manchester on Monday for the balance.

Can’t wait to get it painted up in a nice retro colour.

Wheels are a bit salty, would it be a sin if I stripped and painted them?

For any fellow Bikers interested in a new backpack, I spotted this and promptly ordered one seeing as it was 80% off.

I wouldn't pay full price for it but at this price I couldn't resist!

https://www.xlmoto.co.uk/slipstream-waterproof-mc-backpack

They have been £10 for a year at least, I have one, it's moderately useful but I'd say not worth more than a tenner.