The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

I've had issues with my ZZR1100 running lean since I got it. Rebuilt the carbs a few times now, tried all sorts of things but last night I done something I've overlooked.

I removed the carb to cylinder head inlet rubbers. Didn't find any cracks but found someone had been there before and used some sort of silicone between them and the mounting faces.

The rubber O rings seemed quite flat so I can only assume someone has used the silicone rather than replace these to save 50p....

I spent ages cleaning the mounting faces and put it all together as Mr Kawasaki intended. Once warmed up it was far far smoother at low rpms.

Before it was jerky and juddery at anything under 3000rpm which is why I've spent all this time chasing issues with the pilot circuit.

It has no MOT at present so I couldn't ride it very far to test but I'm hopeful..... In trying to cure lean running I've the pilots wound out so now the inlets are sealed it's running rich

So next plan is to order new O rings, lean the pilots a bit, balance the carbs and go from there.....

Beyond that for MOT the brakes need a bit of work. All calipers are binding a bit and last time I cleaned them properly some of the pistons didn't look too clever.

If I get a chance this week I'll strip all the calipers and see where we are.

Annnnnd a new front tyre wouldn't go amiss. It had a new rear less than 2000 miles ago and whilst the front is still legal is pretty badly cupped and always feels like it's flat when it's not.

After all that if it's staying at some point it'll come off the road and get paint, rebuilt suspension and a host of other wee jobs to take it from looking well used to presentable

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

I've had issues with my ZZR1100 running lean since I got it. Rebuilt the carbs a few times now, tried all sorts of things but last night I done something I've overlooked.

I removed the carb to cylinder head inlet rubbers. Didn't find any cracks but found someone had been there before and used some sort of silicone between them and the mounting faces.

The rubber O rings seemed quite flat so I can only assume someone has used the silicone rather than replace these to save 50p....

I spent ages cleaning the mounting faces and put it all together as Mr Kawasaki intended. Once warmed up it was far far smoother at low rpms.

Before it was jerky and juddery at anything under 3000rpm which is why I've spent all this time chasing issues with the pilot circuit.

It has no MOT at present so I couldn't ride it very far to test but I'm hopeful..... In trying to cure lean running I've the pilots wound out so now the inlets are sealed it's running rich

So next plan is to order new O rings, lean the pilots a bit, balance the carbs and go from there.....

Beyond that for MOT the brakes need a bit of work. All calipers are binding a bit and last time I cleaned them properly some of the pistons didn't look too clever.

If I get a chance this week I'll strip all the calipers and see where we are.

Annnnnd a new front tyre wouldn't go amiss. It had a new rear less than 2000 miles ago and whilst the front is still legal is pretty badly cupped and always feels like it's flat when it's not.

After all that if it's staying at some point it'll come off the road and get paint, rebuilt suspension and a host of other wee jobs to take it from looking well used to presentable

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

I have a decent Michelin pilot front you can have for cost of postage :)

Re the gsxr slave.

A blow gun in the hose connection sealed with a rag can work if not too corroded, or if really stuck,

Seal the hose banjo with a bigger nut in place of the hose and use a grease gun to pump it out through the bleed nipple. Messy but effective.

I was having a good old google session yesterday and the grease gun seems to come up with regularity.

Supposedly it can put out 10,000psi?

If it doesn't move with that, it must be goosed! :)

Arse biscuits...

Bled my clutch system using a home made vacuum system with the pump from a 69p bottle of liquid soap.

Works a treat, fuck that pressure nonsense ever again!

Anyway, pull the clutch lever in, clutch working fine.. Yippee!!

But hang on did I see something out of the corner of my eye when I pulled the lever?

Yup, a squirt of brake fluid.. Turns out the hydraulic hose has a leak and that's been the reason for the problem in the first place.

Look on the net for standard replacement hose, shock horror, over £100 for OEM Suzuki!!!

Quick look at braided lines on eBay and I've got a black braided line (120cm) being delivered for £4.77!!!

Yes, it's some cheap Chinese item in the UK but for a clutch line, it'll do until I can pick up a cheaper OEM hose.

Arse biscuits...

Bled my clutch system using a home made vacuum system with the pump from a 69p bottle of liquid soap.

Works a treat, fuck that pressure nonsense ever again!

Anyway, pull the clutch lever in, clutch working fine.. Yippee!!

But hang on did I see something out of the corner of my eye when I pulled the lever?

Yup, a squirt of brake fluid.. Turns out the hydraulic hose has a leak and that's been the reason for the problem in the first place.

Look on the net for standard replacement hose, shock horror, over £100 for OEM Suzuki!!!

Quick look at braided lines on eBay and I've got a black braided line (120cm) being delivered for £4.77!!!

Yes, it's some cheap Chinese item in the UK but for a clutch line, it'll do until I can pick up a cheaper OEM hose.

ive bought some of those cheap braided lines off of the bay. my fzr1000 has one on it's clutch. just the ticket.

That sounds positive regarding use on your FZR.

I thought as it was just the clutch, it's not as critical as a front brake line.

Seems to have been posted out already. Hopefully, get it some time next week.

I'm not sure if my hydraulic hose simply blew out or was damaged while in storage?

The price of OEM replacements is ridiculous.

If the cheap Chinese one performs well, I might replace the rear hose next. But I'm very much the type that thinks, "if it ain't broke don't fix it"...

A picture of my Gamma. Just got it out and fired it up after parking it for a few months [my NC700 is my daily driver]:

post-17522-0-71932100-1524913518_thumb.jpg

Only noticed the other day, it's still got ticket - forgot i only mot'd it last July [i moved house last summer, so had a lot on]. It's insured and taxed, so is 100% road legal.

Had planned on cleaning it, doing a few little jobs and putting on the 'bay. got it out, sat on it, started it; now not so sure. It's such an addictive little thing.

^^^ fyi it's got ebay viton seals in the carbs [after a massive carb spew-out not long after I got it] and chinese brake lines. I'm a tight fucker....

Guest Hooli

Never heard of it but could be tempted, I'm trying to eek out the rear tyre till next payday.

Whitby was good today, more Goths than ever. Guess there was something on? Some of the costumes are damned impressive.

Whitby was good today, more Goths than ever. Guess there was something on? Some of the costumes are damned impressive.

It's Goth weekend. Wasnt there today but been in previous years (my parents are in Whitby - I don't go for the Goths). Like you say, some of the costumes have taken some serious effort.

On a separate note, I finally got the VStrom back together today after the winter rebuild - just need an MoT and tax. Itching to get out on the bike now so hopefully the weather improves.