Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The Bikeshite Thread

• Please log in to reply
5085 replies to this topic

#4021 OFFLINE   Dave_Q

Dave_Q

• Full Members
  • 4,701 posts
  • 60 thanks
  • LocationConveniently located for the M62 and well regarded local schooling

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:33 PM

I'm sure the speedo on the Lexmoto is very optimistic!

Have you not been scouring the internet for a smashed up Burgman and then just bang that engine in?

Just did a quick google and this article came up:

https://www.pressrea...283519386349933

Had a quick scan and that really doesn't sound like just banging it in! Looks like quite a lot of fabrication required, although a carb version may have been easier?

09 Fiat Multipla

99 SV650

too many pushbikes (apparently)

#4022 ONLINE   twosmoke300

twosmoke300

• Full Members
  • 9,298 posts
  • 62 thanks
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:21 PM

Motobat batteries are junk . Great crank amps when new but don’t last 5 mins . Don’t think you can go too far wrong with a Yuasa

One of the funniest things ive read on here - RIP Dave

Brilliant... late in for lunch I fired up an off-brand pot noodle and while carrying it to the lounge successfully spilled it all over myself, burned the piss out of my hand, soaked my phone with the juice, soaked a load of expense receipts I was also carrying and it hit the hall floor and just fucking exploded....it was literally dripping from the ceiling in my newly decorated hallway. The obvious and considered reaction was to throw an immediate, massive paddy and boot the fucker down the hall while screaming, which has made the whole scenario about 18 times worse.

#4023 OFFLINE   DodgeRover

DodgeRover

• Full Members
  • 5,961 posts
  • 89 thanks

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:41 PM

Yuasa bike batteries seem a completely different kettle of fish to the car versions, never had one come back faulty when the shop used to sell them, mind we always filled and did the initial charge for the customer when they were sold.
  • twosmoke300 likes this

#4024 OFFLINE   They_all_do_that_sir

They_all_do_that_sir

• Full Members
  • 2,499 posts
  • 11 thanks
  • LocationBelfast

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:15 PM

Motobat batteries are junk . Great crank amps when new but don’t last 5 mins . Don’t think you can go too far wrong with a Yuasa

Agreed, the motobat from my ZZR died over winter even with a trickle charger on.

Yuasa I had in my XJ lasted me years and was still going strong when I sold the bike.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

#4025 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 12,938 posts
  • 153 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:29 PM

My 14 came with a 2nd hand Yuasa, it lasted ten years & about 90k without ever seeing a charger.

In running issues news, it's about 80% fixed. bogs down a touch at high throttle & low revs but that's all. Yes I know I shouldn't, but with the secondary butterflies etc it's always behaved perfectly when doing so. Once I get some new pipes for my vacuum gauges I'll balance the throttles & reset both TPS. That along with the injector cleaner I've put in it should solve things.

Opinions expressed are those of this cunt, not any other cunt. They do not represent the views of those responsible for this forum.
Like any true Englishman I'm never unintentionally rude. If you're offended by this post, good as that is what was intended.

#4026 OFFLINE   andy18s

andy18s

• Full Members
  • 3,433 posts
  • 13 thanks

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:31 PM

I'll just leave this here...
And a cheap project for someone

Attached Images

• Screenshot_20180417-002728.png
  • Screenshot_20180415-194029.png

• Fat_Pirate, CreepingJesus, pilninggas and 1 other like this
Soobaaarooo Legacy for the awd fun
XT600z Tenere for the off road fun
Happy trails....

#4027 OFFLINE   gtd2000

gtd2000

• Full Members
  • 2,438 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationWithin 12,000 Miles from Galashiels

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:50 PM

Had a quick scan and that really doesn't sound like just banging it in! Looks like quite a lot of fabrication required, although a carb version may have been easier?

Yeah, I agree it's not the simple drop in option, by any stretch of the imagination!

Tell it like it is...NOT how it should be ;)

#4028 OFFLINE   Dave_Q

Dave_Q

• Full Members
  • 4,701 posts
  • 60 thanks
  • LocationConveniently located for the M62 and well regarded local schooling

Posted 19 April 2018 - 07:47 AM

Any tips for the best (cheapest) place to buy chain and sprocket kits?

Need one for my SV, ebay has kits with either JT or Choho(?) chains for about 67 quid, that's not bad really but I always want things cheaper because mingebag.

Thanks.

09 Fiat Multipla

99 SV650

too many pushbikes (apparently)

#4029 OFFLINE   Jerzy Woking

Jerzy Woking

• Full Members
  • 1,131 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • LocationNorth Essex

Posted 19 April 2018 - 07:51 AM

I've used JT kits before, and they have been fine. 

2005 Saab 9-5 with 300 bhp thanks to Noobtune, Abbott and Maptun.
1999 Mingebag Mercedes, given up on it, so SOLD

1994 Citroen AX Dimension, my winter bike. SOLD.

#4030 OFFLINE   hairnet

hairnet

• Full Members
  • 8,852 posts
  • 15 thanks

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:13 AM

Did with JT sprockets

Not used anything else for at least 15 years

#4031 OFFLINE   DodgeRover

DodgeRover

• Full Members
  • 5,961 posts
  • 89 thanks

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:38 AM

JT sprockets are the industry standard really, everybody uses their part numbers as a reference, not sure about chains really, I always tend to use whatever o ring chain was on special. Fit a Scott oiler if you are doing distances and pretty much anything will last ages.

#4032 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 12,938 posts
  • 153 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:24 PM

I normally look for Hunters Motorcycles in Nooooocasssellike (that's how they all say it anyway) as their deals are good & I've had great service sorting an issue.

Opinions expressed are those of this cunt, not any other cunt. They do not represent the views of those responsible for this forum.
Like any true Englishman I'm never unintentionally rude. If you're offended by this post, good as that is what was intended.

#4033 OFFLINE   pilninggas

pilninggas

• Full Members
  • 473 posts
  • 6 thanks
  • LocationCil-y-Coed, Sir Fynwy, Cymru; exiled from Bryste, Lloegr

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:56 PM

Ebay just seems to be cheapest for C&S kits.

Funny really o-ring chain and sprox sets were more expensive 15/20 years ago than they are now.

Shite formerly owned: Primera renault 11, peugeot 405, renault 19, renault laguna x3, all more shite than the previous one), kia clarus, mondeo, jeep cheroshite.

Shite at present: New Autoshite Gold -  A 64plate DACIA DUSTER ACCESS: to quote a widespread takeaway - i'm lovin' it....

Shite taxi'd: 406, fried montego, vectra, fiat-house-on-wheels.

Moto-shite owned: [un]superdream, simson SR50 (east german thingy), cb250rs, jinlun (china-shite).

Not motoshite owned: ZR50, RXS100 x 2, RD350YPVS, FZR1000 x 2, TDM850, XV535, ZX6R, XJ6 x 2, FZ1S, RG250 Gamma

#4034 OFFLINE   gtd2000

gtd2000

• Full Members
  • 2,438 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 20 April 2018 - 03:43 PM

Well I got the little zephyr 550 MoT'd today. First MoT I've had since around 1995...
  • drum, Cavcraft and yellowperil like this

#4035 OFFLINE   gtd2000

gtd2000

• Full Members
  • 2,438 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 20 April 2018 - 03:45 PM

Was hoping to get my GSX-R 750 in for an MoT next week but the hydraulic clutch had lost pressure. Initial investigation showed it was almost dry. Have been pumping through some fresh fluid but still not got pressure. Probably need to remove the sprocket cover to investigate.

#4036 OFFLINE   yellowperil

yellowperil

• Full Members
  • 186 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 20 April 2018 - 06:31 PM

Progress is progressing on the SRX...
I have cleaned the carbs out, replaced a few bits inside and refitted them.
In the best spirit of cunning i generously allowed a friend to learn how to operate a kick start on a motorbike.
This took about thirty kicks, although to be fair, once he discovered how to operate an ignition switch on a motorbike it got easier for him. ????
Genuine mistake on my part.
So now she will start fairly easy from cold, although to be fair it wasn't exactly Cold today.

Now I have got to sort out some new fuel lines, get a new throttle cable, oil the clutch cable, sort the chain out and got a new number plate.

And try and get it a bit cleaner.
  • Jerzy Woking likes this

#4037 OFFLINE   Cavcraft

Cavcraft

Rank: Glasses, bottles, bottles filter tips. John Player Special

• Staff
  • 40,131 posts
  • 167 thanks
  • LocationAudi wanker

Posted 21 April 2018 - 07:08 AM

How good (or otherwise) are the 'new' Bonnevilles? I quite fancy one when I retire, there seems to be a lot of low mileage ones about that appear to hold their value well. It'd just be a toy, none of that riding across France sort of malarkey, but do they buzz/vibrate to an annoying level? 

"As for actually admitting to liking Corsas on a public forum: you're a bollock-brained, biscuit-eating, faux-northern, bastardy, bollocky, wank-brain"

#4038 OFFLINE   Jazoli

Jazoli

• Full Members
  • 1,604 posts
  • 15 thanks
  • LocationThe Lakes

Posted 21 April 2018 - 08:15 AM

How good (or otherwise) are the 'new' Bonnevilles? I quite fancy one when I retire, there seems to be a lot of low mileage ones about that appear to hold their value well. It'd just be a toy, none of that riding across France sort of malarkey, but do they buzz/vibrate to an annoying level?

They are good enough, I've liked the ones I've ridden, see also W650/800 my dad's W650 was a better bike than the triumph it replaced.
  • Cavcraft likes this

sigs are shit, wgaf?

#4039 OFFLINE   martc

martc

• Full Members
  • 1,597 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • LocationThe Land of Nod

Posted 21 April 2018 - 10:55 AM

How good (or otherwise) are the 'new' Bonnevilles?

see also W650/800

The thing with the new Bonnevilles and W650/800 (and Ducati Scrambler) is that they are a bit 'ersatz'. I'd go for a Moto Guzzi V7 - you have a very clear lineage, it's not a copy, it's the real thing. And Moto Guzzi's are ace.

Could argue the same point about Royal Enfeilds, Hardly Dangerouses and maybe, at a stretch, a BMW nine T.

• jamiewilson likes this
Hello happy

#4040 OFFLINE   Jazoli

Jazoli

• Full Members
  • 1,604 posts
  • 15 thanks
  • LocationThe Lakes

Posted 21 April 2018 - 11:26 AM

The thing with the new Bonnevilles and W650/800 (and Ducati Scrambler) is that they are a bit 'ersatz'. I'd go for a Moto Guzzi V7 - you have a very clear lineage, it's not a copy, it's the real thing. And Moto Guzzi's are ace.

Could argue the same point about Royal Enfeilds, Hardly Dangerouses and maybe, at a stretch, a BMW nine T.

Yeah the Guzzi V7's are nice and that's what my Dad's last bike was after the W650, it was a lovely thing when it worked, it needed 2 sets of clocks and a new ecu in the 2 years he had it, which is why I never mentioned them.
  • gtd2000 likes this

sigs are shit, wgaf?

#4041 OFFLINE   John F

John F

• Full Members
  • 7,070 posts
  • 50 thanks
  • LocationObjective reality

Posted 21 April 2018 - 06:21 PM

Yay! The battery in my CBX750 didn't go flat over winter :-)

• Jazoli and Hooli like this

Never knowingly under-ambitious

'99 Land Rover Discovery ES V8

'97 Land Rover Discovery 300 TDi

'94 Vauxhall Calibra V6
'91 Maserati 222 SE

'88 Yamaha XJ900F

'86 Honda CBX 750F
'82 Suzuki GSX1100SZ Katana

#4042 OFFLINE   Jerzy Woking

Jerzy Woking

• Full Members
  • 1,131 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • LocationNorth Essex

Posted 21 April 2018 - 10:54 PM

I'm liking the look of the soon to be released Royal Enfield 650 twin - and the price too. Lots of investment in RE in the UK with their big engineering and development centre near Bruntingthorpe, and their purchase of Harris Performance.

Never been that interested in Triumph - never enough to take one for a test ride,  so maybe I should try one.

• Cavcraft likes this

#4043 OFFLINE   castros_bro

castros_bro

• Full Members
  • 2,134 posts
  • 19 thanks
  • Locationen route

Posted 22 April 2018 - 10:51 AM

Anyone had an Yam ZT660, are they a reasonable bet for 12 mile "local"commuting and the occasional long distance blatt?  A mate has two - which don't work - and I have a bike sized space in a garage.

#4044 OFFLINE   yellowperil

yellowperil

• Full Members
  • 186 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 22 April 2018 - 01:23 PM

I have replaced the left handlebar, because it was bent and taken the chain off, to try and revive it.

This sounds like not a lot work, but the split link was so rusty that it took 24 hours of dousing in Plusgas to free it.

Almost a third of the links in the chain were seized, because it hadn't been oiled.
The chain itself isn't very old and hasn't had a lot of use.

No bloody excuse for this, TBH and it got my hackles rising, so much I have given up for the day.

I will heat the chain up in some grease during the week and see if I can rescue it, if not i will have to buy a new one.

I may actually get to ride this bike in September...

#4045 ONLINE   doug

doug

• Full Members
  • 587 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • LocationScotland

Posted 22 April 2018 - 03:33 PM

https://photos.app.g...mPlH64zWOs4YR32

Note the camera skills.

Winter project finished. What to do now?.....why get another one of course.

sr500-2.jpg

• yellowperil likes this

#4046 OFFLINE   srad34

srad34

• Full Members
  • 802 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationFanny Flaps

Posted 22 April 2018 - 03:37 PM

Ebay just seems to be cheapest for C&S kits.

Funny really o-ring chain and sprox sets were more expensive 15/20 years ago than they are now.

'cause its all about the x ring thesedays!

srad34

Living the rusty dream........

#4047 ONLINE   twosmoke300

twosmoke300

• Full Members
  • 9,298 posts
  • 62 thanks
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 22 April 2018 - 04:28 PM

Did vx2 or don’t bother I reckon
  • srad34 likes this

One of the funniest things ive read on here - RIP Dave

Brilliant... late in for lunch I fired up an off-brand pot noodle and while carrying it to the lounge successfully spilled it all over myself, burned the piss out of my hand, soaked my phone with the juice, soaked a load of expense receipts I was also carrying and it hit the hall floor and just fucking exploded....it was literally dripping from the ceiling in my newly decorated hallway. The obvious and considered reaction was to throw an immediate, massive paddy and boot the fucker down the hall while screaming, which has made the whole scenario about 18 times worse.

#4048 OFFLINE   Jerzy Woking

Jerzy Woking

• Full Members
  • 1,131 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • LocationNorth Essex

Posted 22 April 2018 - 10:13 PM

Anyone had an Yam ZT660, are they a reasonable bet for 12 mile "local"commuting and the occasional long distance blatt?  A mate has two - which don't work - and I have a bike sized space in a garage.

Not specifically the ZT but had a number of bikes with the five valve Yamaha 660 engine in them (all MZ's, Skorpians and Baghira's). Commuted on an MZ Baghira with this engine in, and did 13,000 miles in six months, never missed a beat. Well loved engine for the Supermoto racers as easy to tune and remains reliable.

Had a Derbi Mulhachen with the later four valve 660 motor - didn't feel as smooth as the five valve, but has a bit more power. As big singles go, they are good engines.

Not sure what the chassis and electrics are like on a ZT but it's a Yamaha so should be good.

#4049 OFFLINE   gtd2000

gtd2000

• Full Members
  • 2,438 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 23 April 2018 - 12:59 PM

I last rode one a couple of years back in Florida.

It was a nice enough machine and felt pretty solid, was the Steve McQueen edition of it.

Did have some electrical gremlins going on with the neutral light and was very low mileage.

#4050 OFFLINE   gtd2000

gtd2000

• Full Members
  • 2,438 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 23 April 2018 - 01:03 PM

Yeah the Guzzi V7's are nice and that's what my Dad's last bike was after the W650, it was a lovely thing when it worked, it needed 2 sets of clocks and a new ecu in the 2 years he had it, which is why I never mentioned them.

Haha, my German mate Reiner had one a couple of years back (Cafe Racer) , said it was the biggest pile of shit he ever owned, whatever could go wrong with it, went wrong with it! Spent more time back at the dealer getting repaired than out on the road. It might have been inspired by the British bike industry as it had a number of total loss lubrication systems...

He replaced it with the Yamaha XJR Cafe racer and is over the moon with it.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

doug, twosmoke300