The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in Stupid Question Amnesty...

A couple of times lately I've had what the pharmacist thought was a severe hay-fever attack, with red and itchy eyes.  It lasts a day or so then clears.  I've finally figured out that it's always happened the day after I've ridden the moped.

I didn't ride for a couple of years so my helmet was been stored in a cupboard - inside the flat, not damp.  Has anyone experienced their helmet going off to the extent that it irritates your eyes?  It looks absolutely fine.  Could this be the issue and I need to buy a new one, or is it psychosomatic?

Most odd.

Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in Stupid Question Amnesty...

A couple of times lately I've had what the pharmacist thought was a severe hay-fever attack, with red and itchy eyes. It lasts a day or so then clears. I've finally figured out that it's always happened the day after I've ridden the moped.

I didn't ride for a couple of years so my helmet was been stored in a cupboard - inside the flat, not damp. Has anyone experienced their helmet going off to the extent that it irritates your eyes? It looks absolutely fine. Could this be the issue and I need to buy a new one, or is it psychosomatic?

Most odd.

I guess it’s possible. Give it a wash and see if that helps. Mine has a removable lining and I wash it when I’m in the shower with shampoo.

Sorry to put that image in your head

One’s too many, ten’s not enough!

I've arranged a couple of runs in early April.

Only problem is the carbs are on the bench, the brakes need rebuilt, front tyre replaced, starter solonoid replaced, new battery, oil change and an MOT.

All stuff I planned to do over winter and didn't. Fuck sakes.

I've also seen an early (1983) VF750F on local gumtree. It might sound salty at £900 but it's on the road and comes with a spare bike....but I'd have to do all of the above and sell the ZZR first.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

I guess it’s possible. Give it a wash and see if that helps. Mine has a removable lining and I wash it when I’m in the shower with shampoo.

No removable liner, but I might have a go at washing out then letting it dry really thoroughly. I'd rather not have to replace it just because it's dirty, they're not exactly cheap.

Removable liner on the next one though!

^^^ this it's what I do with my Arai after trail riding, it's shocking how much filth comes out, again removable lining and shampoo in the shower

Guys, I need to replace my crap old bike helmet.

Any suggestions for a reasonably-priced lid for an Arai-shaped head? I'm way out of touch with bike kit.

I moved from silly priced Arai's to HJC's and have found the fit to be similar, I have a couple of older IS16's and have just bought a FG ST and its a bargain, really well made, positive visor closing mech, drop down sun visor, and pinlock (which is included) for around £130 (they were £250 when they came out)

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_cat/1896

They also have the easiest visor change mech I've ever used, and was a revelation after the Arai creak,creak oh balls broken sidepod load of shite system.

Guest Hooli

I got fed up with the torn wet seat on my 14, so got £10 of material off ebay & a staple gun.

post-20217-0-07340500-1521839613_thumb.jpg

Apart from slight creasing on the OSR I think it came out damn well for an hours effort & as a bonus it's more grippy than the original seat to ride on.

post-20217-0-55273500-1521839655_thumb.jpg

post-20217-0-07623400-1521839664_thumb.jpg

Guest Hooli

I'd kept it in the house for months till I got around to it so it was warm. I started in the middle on each side & worked towards the ends, just didn't get that one corner quite right.  I'm happy with it for a first attempt though.

Had my first run out of the year today on my new FZ1, it was fun although very slippery, I had a couple of moments spinning up the rear tyre but it was my own doing really, I have just realised I have put the back tyre on the wrong way round too, can't be arsed to wrestle with it again to change it.

6sigqpc.jpg

I got fed up with the torn wet seat on my 14, so got £10 of material off ebay & a staple gun.

attachicon.gif20180321_144731.jpg

Apart from slight creasing on the OSR I think it came out damn well for an hours effort & as a bonus it's more grippy than the original seat to ride on.

attachicon.gif20180323_122356.jpg

attachicon.gif20180323_122837.jpg

Can't knock that for a tenner. I tried something similar with an old Helix seat that was past it's best, but the plastic seat pan was rock 'ard and the staples wouldn't go in properly!

Had my first run out of the year today on my new FZ1, it was fun although very slippery, I had a couple of moments spinning up the rear tyre but it was my own doing really, I have just realised I have put the back tyre on the wrong way round too, can't be arsed to wrestle with it again to change it.

You really ought to be arsed to change it as an accident is beckoning. The tread patterns are designed to push water away, if the tyre is the wrong way round the water will build up under it causing aquaplaning, sliding etc, which could explain your 'moments'.

I worked with someone who totalled a lovely BMW K100, whilst crossing the Humber Bridge, due to an uncontrollable aquaplane caused by the rear tyre being on the wrong way. He was lucky to tell the tale...

You really ought to be arsed to change it as an accident is beckoning. The tread patterns are designed to push water away, if the tyre is the wrong way round the water will build up under it causing aquaplaning, sliding etc, which could explain your 'moments'.

I worked with someone who totalled a lovely BMW K100, whilst crossing the Humber Bridge, due to an uncontrollable aquaplane caused by the rear tyre being on the wrong way. He was lucky to tell the tale...

+1, that was the first thing I thought when I read that.

I know but I won't die, I'm used to riding on barely legal track day tyres, I was being heavy handed with the throttle and provoking it a bit trying to get it to wheelie off the throttle in third   :-P  :-P  :-P