Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The Bikeshite Thread

• Please log in to reply
4593 replies to this topic

#3781 OFFLINE   Bradders59

Bradders59

• Full Members
  • 142 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationNorth Essex

Posted 13 March 2018 - 06:33 PM

My mate fitted heated grips to my KTM RC8 yesterday (now winter is over!) and a sat nav power lead, which necessitated the leads being routed under the petrol tank. He is a trained KTM mechanic and said that it was best to remove the tank BUT they tend to swell due to the additives in petrol, and they can be a right bastard to remove and refit.

He wasn't wrong as it had to be removed and refitted with the assistance from a long pry bar. Had to remove the rubber inserts from around the front fittings to get it to bolt up, as the tank swelling meant that the holes for the bolts were about 5mm further forward now.

So if your bike has a plastic tank, beware of swelling.

Is your mate Jerry from Jim Aims (used to be known as Jims joke shop around Hedingham years ago)? If so, hes a really decent bloke.

Always more than fair when he MOT,d my bikes.

Current cars. Omega 3.2 Elite. Mercedes 190D 2.5 manual.

#3782 OFFLINE   strangeangel

strangeangel

• Full Members
  • 3,087 posts
  • 19 thanks

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:04 PM

m/cs dont do emissions - how can they ban them when theyve never been in the list to test??

They just do it on age I think? Never really looked into it TBH because it won't affect me.

Anything with 'Historic' tax class is exempt, though, so I could ride through London on my old Vespa stinking the place out with huge clouds of blue smoke, but you have to pay £££ to use something sensible like the Helix. Crazy.

• UltraWomble likes this

#3783 OFFLINE   Mudster

Mudster

• Full Members
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationNottingham

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:26 PM

How the hell do you quote a post in here? Got me right stumped :)

In response to Strangeangel, if I swap the scooter will need to be at least 400. In fact I keep hanging over the Burgman 650. As I said, I really don't need one and I'm sure the other half would leave me. Every cloud I guess:D
2006 BMW 335i
2011 Honda PCX125
2004 DL1000 V-Strom
2003 CRB954 Fireblade

#3784 OFFLINE   Dave_Q

Dave_Q

• Full Members
  • 4,477 posts
  • 48 thanks
  • LocationHuddersfield

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:11 PM

The ULEZ is the new thing coming in next year, applies to motorbikes and they have to be Euro 3 which is after about 2007 (with exceptions)

As SA says, historic is exempt, so expect every Vespa in that London to suddenly get rebuilt* onto a pre-78 or post 2007 frame, whilst releasing exactly the amount of pollution.

Apparently it's still under debate, really think they need to just exempt all bikes as surely a ped is less emissions than a euro 4/5 car (which is what most people will end up switching to surely?)

• UltraWomble likes this

09 Fiat Multipla

99 SV650

too many pushbikes (apparently)

#3785 OFFLINE   Jerzy Woking

Jerzy Woking

• Full Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • LocationNorth Essex

Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:38 PM

Is your mate Jerry from Jim Aims (used to be known as Jims joke shop around Hedingham years ago)? If so, hes a really decent bloke.
Always more than fair when he MOT,d my bikes.

Although I have known Jerry for some 30 years, it was one of their former mechanics, Darren, that did the work on my RC8-known him for a few years now and he is an excellent mechanic. I think Jim started selling KTM about 35 years now, when they were more correctly called KTBooms.

I bought my first big bike from Jim Aim back in 1976 (bloody hell, 42 years ago) and most of the bikes I have owned since then have had their MOT's done there - that was until they moved to Braintree as they don't do them now. And this is the first KTM I have owned despite shopping there for so long.

20170423_151837.jpg
  • Fat_Pirate, Cavcraft, Nyphur and 1 other like this

2005 Saab 9-5 with 300 bhp thanks to Noobtune, Abbott and Maptun.
1999 Mingebag Mercedes, given up on it, so SOLD

1994 Citroen AX Dimension, my winter bike. SOLD.

#3786 OFFLINE   twosmoke300

twosmoke300

• Full Members
  • 9,081 posts
  • 55 thanks
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 14 March 2018 - 06:16 AM

Stil known as ktbooms. My mates 22hr/2 month old 250xcf went pop on Sunday .
  • Jerzy Woking likes this

Skoda Octavia 1.9tdi - ex's now - dont miss it or her

Fiat Ducato 2009 l3h2

Honda Crf250X

Suzuki TS50x

Kawasaki Ke175d

Prilla Pigsasshole 650

Saxo 1.5D- died and ready to scrap :-(

Land Rover 90 2.5 petrol

Mazda mx5

#3787 OFFLINE   SierraMikeHotel

SierraMikeHotel

• Full Members
  • 794 posts
  • 15 thanks

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:51 AM

Then get the king of scooters:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/csMAAOSwn...

One owner since 1999, strikingly handsome, fast*, comfortable, capacious and laden with character (but not the sort of 'character' that leaves you stranded miles from home with a grenaded engine, fucked electrics etc.). DIY maintainable even by me (with almost 100% genuine parts availability) except for the engine hanger bearings - and it's had those done!

£800 BIN represents VALUE at today's prices IMO.

Disclaimer: it's not mine & nowt to do with me. Do have two of them though.

Oof. SO much want. Need to spend the money on an estate car instead though....

Now where's that winning Premium Bond?

#3788 OFFLINE   Jerzy Woking

Jerzy Woking

• Full Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • LocationNorth Essex

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:34 PM

I rarely, if ever, go to the south side of the River Thames, but today it's where I am working. I have seen some odd things today. Just now a 61 plate Maxi Scooter went passed me at the traffic lights, both rider and pillion weren't wearing helmets. Not the thieving scum I expected, but a flat cap wearing bloke in his sixties with a rather pretty 30 something as pillion. Looked just so odd.
  • jackytwoshoes likes this

#3789 ONLINE   jackytwoshoes

jackytwoshoes

• Full Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationThat London

Posted 14 March 2018 - 02:37 PM

Welcome to the jungle
  • Jerzy Woking and strangeangel like this

#3790 ONLINE   DodgeRover

DodgeRover

• Full Members
  • 5,112 posts
  • 71 thanks

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:56 PM

That's just odd, surely the police haven't given up that much? Diplomatic plates?
  • New POD likes this

#3791 OFFLINE   Dave_Q

Dave_Q

• Full Members
  • 4,477 posts
  • 48 thanks
  • LocationHuddersfield

Posted 14 March 2018 - 06:40 PM

Wasn't an mp3 was it?

09 Fiat Multipla

99 SV650

too many pushbikes (apparently)

#3792 OFFLINE   Jerzy Woking

Jerzy Woking

• Full Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • LocationNorth Essex

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:22 PM

That's just odd, surely the police haven't given up that much? Diplomatic plates?

No, British plates.

Wasn't an mp3 was it?

No -two.wheeler, possibly a Sym or Kymco, very clean. Even indicating to turn right.

I think it is just a fine and no points for riding without a helmet. I just don't see the point of not wearing one, especially in this cold weather if nothing else.

#3793 OFFLINE   Nyphur

Nyphur

• Full Members
  • 3,084 posts
  • 24 thanks

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:07 PM

Dragged my CG125 out from under its cover today for the first time in a few months. A tiny bit of surface rust on the front wheel seems to be the only sign of sitting outside for 4 months or so. 

Started after a bit of faffing with the choke and soon settled down to its usual chug chug chug chug chug idle.

Gave it a ride over to my parents and back (realised its the first time I'd ridden it at night today actually - which also made me realise how utterly shit the headlamp is - are all bikes bad?).

Time to start thinking about doing DAS soon I think. I reckon I've done 1200 or so miles on the CG now. Out on the road I generally feel alright - but will definitely need to refresh on slow speed manoeuvres etc

• UltraWomble, Cavcraft and Jerzy Woking like this

#3794 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 9,909 posts
  • 109 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:25 PM

first time I'd ridden it at night today actually - which also made me realise how utterly shit the headlamp is - are all bikes bad?

Yes and no.

Bikes often have shite lights, but then with a single light & the same rules as a car it's exactly like driving a car with out bulb out. However 125s have so little electric they run even smaller bulbs as a rule so are uber shite.

I've got a LED H4 thing in my GSX, I can actually see at night now unlike the normal light.

• Nyphur and AdeMk1 like this

#3795 ONLINE   DodgeRover

DodgeRover

• Full Members
  • 5,112 posts
  • 71 thanks

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:43 PM

All small bikes have shit headlights it's compulsory, make do by strapping a head torch to your helmet to shine into the eyes of oncoming drivers, also make sure you ride in front of an Audi or BMW at night, there lights are bright enough not to need your own.
  • strangeangel likes this

#3796 OFFLINE   yellowperil

yellowperil

• Full Members
  • 152 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:45 PM

I rarely, if ever, go to the south side of the River Thames, but today it's where I am working.

I have seen some odd things today. Just now a 61 plate Maxi Scooter went passed me at the traffic lights, both rider and pillion weren't wearing helmets. Not the thieving scum I expected, but a flat cap wearing bloke in his sixties with a rather pretty 30 something as pillion.

Looked just so odd.

IIRC if a hat was originally sold as motorcycle safety gear when it was new, it is still legal to use.
So a cork lined flat cap from the thirties could be totally legal in place of a crash helmet.

#3797 ONLINE   DodgeRover

DodgeRover

• Full Members
  • 5,112 posts
  • 71 thanks

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:55 PM

I've only ever seen one Sikh riding a bike without a helmet too come to think of it.

#3798 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 9,909 posts
  • 109 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:00 PM

Do you know, reading that has made me realise I've never seen that over here.

#3799 OFFLINE   Jerzy Woking

Jerzy Woking

• Full Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • LocationNorth Essex

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:06 PM

I often see riders in certain parts of Europe riding without helmets, but this is the first time in many years that I have seen it here.

#3800 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 9,909 posts
  • 109 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:12 PM

I wish we still could here, I would on some summer days when I wasn't planning to go fast.

• warren t claim likes this

#3801 ONLINE   DodgeRover

DodgeRover

• Full Members
  • 5,112 posts
  • 71 thanks

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:37 PM

I never used to wear a helmet whilst out doing trials practise till one day I rode under a slightly low branch during an event, (when I was wearing a helmet) and hit it hard enough that I felt it with the helmet on. That would really really have hurt without one.
  • Hooli likes this

#3802 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 9,909 posts
  • 109 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:46 PM

I once cycled under a tree at speed at night, I did the same not wearing a helmet. Took 30mins to find the bike too, as it'd gone off the edge of the track & buried itself in nettles.

• stonedagain likes this

#3803 OFFLINE   strangeangel

strangeangel

• Full Members
  • 3,087 posts
  • 19 thanks

Posted 15 March 2018 - 10:30 AM

...utterly shit the headlamp is - are all bikes bad?

Most small ones are... if yours is a 6V CG then I would invest in a head torch.

#3804 OFFLINE   Nyphur

Nyphur

• Full Members
  • 3,084 posts
  • 24 thanks

Posted 15 March 2018 - 10:33 AM

It appeared to illuminate the front mud guard, and nothing else.

At least I could be seen I guess, even if I couldn't see where I was going...

#3805 OFFLINE   strangeangel

strangeangel

• Full Members
  • 3,087 posts
  • 19 thanks

Posted 15 March 2018 - 10:34 AM

50cc of Piaggio Zip with Technigas 'zorst is only mildly less noisy than the sound made by the roar of a bull that has had its testicles twanged with a rubber band.

It's horrible, isn't it? I had the same pipe on an SR50 I was given about 10 years ago. The bike was free (albeit needing quite a bit of remedial work) and got me riding again after a looooong hiatus, but that appalling 'angry wasp' row was what made me do my CBT and get a 4-stroke 125. Our Lass claimed she could hear me returning home from work fully three streets away.

• UltraWomble likes this

#3806 OFFLINE   martc

martc

• Validating
  • 1,451 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • LocationThe Land of Nod

Posted 15 March 2018 - 12:22 PM

All small bikes have shit headlights it's compulsory, make do by strapping a head torch to your helmet to shine into the eyes of oncoming drivers, also make sure you ride in front of an Audi or BMW at night, there lights are bright enough not to need your own.

You won't need to go out of your way to ride in front of an Audi or BMW just give it a few minutes and you'll find one 2 inches off your back mudgaurd. They're attracted to the backs of other vehicles like a moth to a light bulb.

• CreepingJesus, strangeangel and djimbob like this
Hello happy

#3807 OFFLINE   martc

martc

• Validating
  • 1,451 posts
  • 7 thanks

Posted 15 March 2018 - 12:29 PM

mot-customer-information-wall-panel-.-pa

In other bike news - I saw this poster yesterday; it's not clear in this pictue, but the image of the combination has the side-car on the wrong side! I know it was legal for the chair to be on either side years ago, but now-a-days they have to be on the left. You would have thought a poster regarding MOT details would show the combo the right way round..

• Jerzy Woking, strangeangel and yellowperil like this
Hello happy

#3808 OFFLINE   strangeangel

strangeangel

• Full Members
  • 3,087 posts
  • 19 thanks

Posted 15 March 2018 - 03:13 PM

http://www.autoelectrics-uk.com/ekmps/sh...

In other bike news - I saw this poster yesterday; it's not clear in this pictue, but the image of the combination has the side-car on the wrong side! I know it was legal for the chair to be on either side years ago, but now-a-days they have to be on the left. You would have thought a poster regarding MOT details would show the combo the right way round..

Ha ha good spot! I used to use a (sadly now disappeared) Russian bike forum, and some people on there registered 2WD Dneprs and Urals (these all had the chairs on the wrong side) as trikes...

#3809 OFFLINE   Bradders59

Bradders59

• Full Members
  • 142 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationNorth Essex

Posted 15 March 2018 - 05:55 PM

Although I have known Jerry for some 30 years, it was one of their former mechanics, Darren, that did the work on my RC8-known him for a few years now and he is an excellent mechanic. I think Jim started selling KTM about 35 years now, when they were more correctly called KTBooms.

I bought my first big bike from Jim Aim back in 1976 (bloody hell, 42 years ago) and most of the bikes I have owned since then have had their MOT's done there - that was until they moved to Braintree as they don't do them now. And this is the first KTM I have owned despite shopping there for so long.

attachicon.gif20170423_151837.jpg

I never got on with Darren to be honest. Not sure why. Do you remember little Adrian who used to work there. Lovely little fella but mad as a box of frogs. I would say to him "hello Adrian". His reply was always "chappydo, I say to you, how do you do".  :-D 

• Jerzy Woking likes this

Current cars. Omega 3.2 Elite. Mercedes 190D 2.5 manual.

#3810 OFFLINE   martc

martc

• Validating
  • 1,451 posts
  • 7 thanks

Posted 15 March 2018 - 07:29 PM

Ha ha good spot! I used to use a (sadly now disappeared) Russian bike forum, and some people on there registered 2WD Dneprs and Urals (these all had the chairs on the wrong side) as trikes...

I believe it was the old Dnepr and Ural combo's, with the chair on the right, which brought about the change in the law. The side-car wheel was constantly fighting the camber, the spokes would be damaged and the wheel was in danger of collapsing.

Even in real life the picture of the combo on the poster is quite indistinct but I think it is of a Dnepr or Ural - oh the irony!

Hello happy

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

red5