The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

Carol Nash.

I've been with them for years, and the only reason I haven't moved my fleet elsewhere is when they try to shaft me at every renewal I simply make up a cheaper quote, and they immediately come back with their best price. Not a different policy, not a different excess - just the price the twisting scumbags should have quoted me in the first place.

I can't get too idealistic about insurance companies/brokers - ATEOTD their business model is to screw the customer for as much as they possibly can - so I'll carry on doing business with this lot until my strategy stops working. And then I'll insure my bikes with some other, corrupt shower of bastards instead.

CN will only insure 5 bikes on a policy so will need to take out two with them. And one won't have the full NCD the other one has, just two years (but if all ten were on one policy, then I would have 30 years NCD I have attained).

I'll try FJ to see if they will insure all 10, as well as Bennetts. I can't be the only person that has as many bikes to insure?

I stripped the carbs of the '83 GS650GT to clean them up.

The bike has been off the road since 1990 and the carbs were in a Lidl bag, so it shouldn't have come as a surprise to find someone had been in there before me.

A float bowl screw missing and a float needle valve gone.

One of the diaphragms has come away from the slide. Can that be repaired?

A replacement slide and diaphragm is £80!

Does anyone know if carbs off a different model would do? Maybe a katana?post-5582-0-28279100-1517338682_thumb.jpg

They look like BS32SS Mikuni's. I'm sure all the GS' used these, just jetted different. 550,650,750 and 850. Not sure about the GT

You can change the diagphragm rubbers on their own on most carbs, but it's really fiddly.

Here is a slightly cheaper slide/diagpragm

http://www.nrp-carbs.co.uk/shop/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=gs650&product_id=1324

Not done a Honda but sure they're all the same. 

Transmission case comes off with a series of small bolts. 

You will need a variator locking tool or an impact gun to get the bolt off the variator.

You may or may not need to take the rear pulley/clutch thing off, you might be able to wangle the belt off with just the vario off. 

The bike has been off the road since 1990 and the carbs were in a Lidl bag, so it shouldn't have come as a surprise to find someone had been in there before me.

Does anyone know if carbs off a different model would do? Maybe a katana?attachicon.gif20180129_213731.jpg

This is a pretty decent site for technical information:

http://thegsresources.com/

I was a regular visitor when working on my 1983 GS450GA

This was the GS650 that had been parked up in the basement of my office for years. A mate wanted one to do up as it was the bike he had when he first met the woman he was to marry (ah, bless). Hadn't been run for at least 20 years.

Managed to find out that it could be purchased for the price of a donation to charity (£50).

Mate restored it and it looked brand new. I'll try to find the after photos, but this is what it was like before I took it.

post-19526-0-82077700-1517414275_thumb.jpg

This was the GS650 that had been parked up in the basement of my office for years. A mate wanted one to do up as it was the bike he had when he first met the woman he was to marry (ah, bless). Hadn't been run for at least 20 years.

Managed to find out that it could be purchased for the price of a donation to charity (£50).

Mate restored it and it looked brand new. I'll try to find the after photos, but this is what it was like before I took it.

IMGP0032(1).jpg

Can you find me one for £50 quid too?

First time out with my CR125 is booked for Sunday.

Still not really ridden it apart from a brief blat across a field where i bought it from.

Going to Weedon track. More of an old skool scrambler track really, no proper big jumps but what i need after nearly a year of not riding MX at all and learning a new bike.

Can't wait.

Although you can find cars around for £50, the days of £50 bikes are long since gone. Not even seen incomplete basket cases for less than double that now. Sign'O the Times.

Lucky to find anything running for less than £250, add another £100 if you want anything with a current ticket. Only exception is the occasional battered to fuck Chinese ped but the chances of it being fit to use are slim.

That said, shedloads of choice in the £500-1000 bracket.

• 2 weeks later...

Just found this on my regular trawl of bottom of the market 2 wheeled shite.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F112804298177

I initially thought that "Gilera Ultimate Weapon" was the model name and this was a new and interesting kind of rank ped I'd not heard of before.

Actually, its an SKP, so I guess Ultimate Weapon must just be the sellers description.

drum, on 30 Jan 2018 - 7:08 PM, said:

Does anyone know if carbs off a different model would do? Maybe a katana?attachicon.gif20180129_213731.jpg

Kat carbs should fit, the engines are essentially identical apart from cams & an oil cooler.

Just found this on my regular trawl of bottom of the market 2 wheeled shite.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F112804298177

I initially thought that "Gilera Ultimate Weapon" was the model name and this was a new and interesting kind of rank ped I'd not heard of before.

Actually, its an SKP, so I guess Ultimate Weapon must just be the sellers description.

You should buy it and paint that on the side.