The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

Put my newly cleaned exhaust on the Gilera and it's the same.

It actually starts now and idles for maybe 30 seconds but then refuses to and will only go if revved?

Not sure whether to think carb setup or crankcase leak, but attempting to rig up a leakdown test will be my next move.

But it idled happily with no exhaust on at all?

Tank and lines have been drained and filled with fresh fuel with no apparent lumps coming through - pipe to carb is translucent.

I'm certain there is no blockage in the end can as I've had it off and dismantled it, the pipe through the middle of the can is straight through.

I was thinking of something in the tank blocking the pickup as the fuel starts to flow.

The fuel is pumped up to the carb by a vacuum pump as the tank is lower than the carb, if the fuel wasn't flowing I would see in the clear pipe where it goes to the carb.

I have also tried it on a direct fuel feed.

I will try the leakdown test next as it will never run right if there is a leak in the cases.

I don't really know how but the Elyseo got a clean pass again. I will be fitting a new front tyre though as it doesn't handle very well with the incorrectly fitted death ring. It will then be up for sale. I will try for £500 as it has just had a load of work including a full service and new rear brake cable. New battery and the new Avon front tyre that will be going on later this week. The bodywork is really good with no cracks or scuffs just the grab handle and bottom of the forks could do with a repaint to make it look really nice. It will come with whats left of the old engine and transmission as spares but it looks to of had a recent belt and vairator thingy but I have no proof of that.

Yay overdue (oops) oil change and rear pads cos 3 months of only going to work (all town) - almost down to metal

Crazy Dave said chain has one adjustment left in it but thats ok as was asking them last how long it's been since he changed it - about 18 months ago about a week after it was bought 23k ago

83C, on 27 Nov 2017 - 10:30 PM, said:

Some fresh blood in the thread!

Anyone here have any experience with mid-90's GSX600Fs? Found a cheap running one and wondering if it might be worth a punt.

Ha, the notorious Teapot. Sold in north america as a Katana, much to the disgust and derision of the rest of the world.

I had a 1988 one, it was ugly but fast for a 600 of its era - it would put 130+ on the clock without much effort. It also handled OK, and didn't seem to wear things out any faster than the opposition, rear shock linkage prone to seizing up like they all do. Occasional electrical problems (mine would stop dead every now & then, and then start without problem a few minutes later - I never did work out why).

They're cheap enough, but it's hard to recommend one.

Teapot's are decent enough bikes, nothing special but the mechanicals are proven. The one I rode was actually good and quicker than I'd given it credit for so something of a sleeper. The looks divide opinion - marmite style, personally, I'm with StrangeAngel in that I think they look OK but some really hate it. Most bought CBR600's instead so they aren't too common, IIRC they were cheaper than the opposition too as twosmoke says so will be built to a cost. 

The other thing will be corrosion on most Japs of the era, Suzuki paint was very thin and alloy generally unprotected so expect issues there. The brakes (like Bandit ones) will need cleaning up every few months or they'll seize on (don't ask how I know). 

Don't know how much they want but if reasonable then it's a fairly safe punt in many respects. I'm sure the local PowerRanger superheroes will find it highly amusing but who cares what those mugs think. 

I was only thinking about this today ( as I froze my knackers off on the ped of doom) - did you get the idle issue sorted?

Not yet no, I tried cleaning out the exhaust and put a different carb on but it's still not right.

Suspecting now that there may be a leak in the cases, need to cobble together some sort of leakdown tester to try and confirm.

Teapot's are decent enough bikes, nothing special but the mechanicals are proven. The one I rode was actually good and quicker than I'd given it credit for so something of a sleeper. The looks divide opinion - marmite style, personally, I'm with StrangeAngel in that I think they look OK but some really hate it. Most bought CBR600's instead so they aren't too common, IIRC they were cheaper than the opposition too as twosmoke says so will be built to a cost.

The other thing will be corrosion on most Japs of the era, Suzuki paint was very thin and alloy generally unprotected so expect issues there. The brakes (like Bandit ones) will need cleaning up every few months or they'll seize on (don't ask how I know).

Don't know how much they want but if reasonable then it's a fairly safe punt in many respects. I'm sure the local PowerRanger superheroes will find it highly amusing but who cares what those mugs think.

They want £450 for it with 3 months test but with recent new rear tyre, discs and pads and a few other bits. Tempted but a bit put off by the sellers attitude - it's taken 3 days so far to get them to communicate over a price, my offer of £400 was completely ignored - not even a 'no thanks'. Kind of makes me want to say 'no thanks' myself and walk away.

The Bandit as well as the rank ped too? sheesh.

Ah right, I forgot where the original quote came from, thought you were asking about the ped.

I never got to the bottom of the idle issue on the Bandit either, I sold it as speares or reapers to a man who was going to break it for parts.

They want £450 for it with 3 months test but with recent new rear tyre, discs and pads and a few other bits. Tempted but a bit put off by the sellers attitude - it's taken 3 days so far to get them to communicate over a price, my offer of £400 was completely ignored - not even a 'no thanks'. Kind of makes me want to say 'no thanks' myself and walk away.

To me that sounds a reasonable buy for the money but like you, I also always judge the attitude of the owner as well as the bike/car/whatever quality. I've walked away from a fair few deals in my life because I've just disliked the owner because of reasons of piss-poor attitude, dodgy/shifty/evasive mannerisms, "I'm obviously full-of-shit/know nothing/am a chancer" speeches etc.. Does this mean I've maybe missed out on a few good deals? Yes, sure it does but I figure I've sacked off ten times as many bad 'un's!!!

So think in this case you'd be wise (as I do) to trust your gut feeling that this guy's probably an asshole - therefore untrustworthy and possibly give it a miss unless the guy wises up and starts attempting to be a human being. 

Exactly that. They took a day to respond to a few simple queries which is fine - not everyone scans eBay every few hours just in case someone has asked anything. Sent what I considered to be a reasonable offer based on what they'd told me, and got no response. The advert ended (B-I-N, no auction) without a sale, so I asked again and got 'I've got loads of interest' as a response. 

I'd like to send 'Well, if you've got so much interest, why isn't the bike sold?', but I think its best to just walk away. I don't need the bike and I suspect it'll be hassle. Its also a bloke selling under a female eBay username which I always find a bit odd.

... I also always judge the attitude of the owner as well as the bike/car/whatever quality. I've walked away from a fair few deals in my life because I've just disliked the owner because of reasons of piss-poor attitude, dodgy/shifty/evasive mannerisms, "I'm obviously full-of-shit/know nothing/am a chancer" speeches etc.. Does this mean I've maybe missed out on a few good deals? Yes, sure it does but I figure I've sacked off ten times as many bad 'un's!!!

So think in this case you'd be wise (as I do) to trust your gut feeling that this guy's probably an asshole - therefore untrustworthy and possibly give it a miss unless the guy wises up and starts attempting to be a human being. 

This. I've always felt that you can learn (at least) as much from the quality of the individual selling a bike as you can from any accompanying paperwork. 

I think its best to just walk away. I don't need the bike and I suspect it'll be hassle. .

FWIW that's exactly what I'd be doing in your position!

I always love statements like "I've had loads of interest", "Tons of calls" etc.,  - yeah? so what? it is utterly irrelevant how many umpty-dillion people enquire about something you are selling, it only needs one person to buy it. If you've had this much interest and not managed to sell it then that should ring bells with the vendor if they are possessing an IQ larger than their shoe size that something is wrong - either with the thing they are flogging or themselves. 

Agree with SA - that being the case, I'd pass too. Leave the idiot to it (he's had loads of interest anyway don't forget.....).