The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

It's an auto scooter so the bottom end is just the crank, this has a pulley thing bolted to one end and a generator to the other, the transmission is a selection of rubber bands and springs in the side casing.

2de2ed97772fa3a22ddb83b50b524b74.jpg

The head is just out of shot on the lhs of that photo, inlet is on top of the cases and exhaust comes out under the cylinder.

So no oil near the crankcase other than the 2t that goes in with the fuel.

If the mains are gone then you get massive air leaks and it will be very weak, smoke could be in burned fuel from when people have been trying to start it. Mains and seals by and large are easy on 2 strokes, I did my first one on the dining room table aged 13, only tricky bit is warming up the cases round the bearings to get them to separate easily

To check crank seals on a non-piston ported ie.  reed valve inlet equipped  two stroke. Remove carb and reed valve, set piston as in this pic, blow/pump air into the inlet to get 0.5 bar in the crankcase, you should be able to hear any serious crank seal leak or apply snoop/washing up liquid and look for bubbles.  Clean off all the bubbles liquid as it is corrosive.

post-7239-0-11808300-1511429111_thumb.jpg

Blockage in the exhaust? See if it will run without, probably better to try this in the daytime it will be loud.

Hear, hear - a very common cause of the problems you described is a exhasut/silencer blocked with soot/partially burnt oil. They can be de-coked, carefully, using caustic soda (assuming there is no aluminium present in the silencer (which is unlikely)).

Hear, hear - a very common cause of the problems you described is a exhasut/silencer blocked with soot/partially burnt oil. They can be de-coked, carefully, using caustic soda (assuming there is no aluminium present in the silencer (which is unlikely)).

I used to squirt pez into mine and then set light to them with the engine running - flames & smog/soot clouds galore.

Probably utterly foolish, but worked.

My first proper bike was a RF600RR. Wasn't a bad bike except it's been crashed and the frame was a banana...

Saddle height was too low too, my knees used to crap up & I couldn't get off.

Collecting 2/3rds of a Honda Caren in a convertible 205 was interesting*. It took some stripping down in situ, but the back seats fold down like a 'normal' 205, so it was just a case of 'open roof, drop in moped, close roof' in the end.

The main thing is that I have what looks like a serviceable carb, some better legshields, a flange for the exhaust, and some other potentially useful stuff. The fuel tap had been subbed for a Honda Cub style tap, so no luck on that front though. Still, I reckon I've got everything I need now to get it going, one way or another...

Cheers all for the tips on the exhaust on my ped, the bike idles OK with the exhaust off so I reckon there is a restriction there.

Here it is, notice the oily shite under the joint between the end can and the pipe, looks like it might have been leaking from there for a while? 

post-17573-0-58176600-1511713400_thumb.jpg

The pipe is not as easy to blow through as I think it should be, so I'm gonna get busy with the caustic soda, and maybe even re-pack the end can as it is pretty oiled up at one end. 

I'll also check the oil pump setting as there must be a reason the exhaust is this full of shite.

Exhaust packing just seems to be glassfibre, is this something I can get from B&Q as it seems to be relatively expensive for small amounts if described as silencer packing?

Look in the bit that bolts to the cylinder head, is there a restriction piece ( penny washer with a small hole in it) in there still?

Whip the end can off and try again to see if that removed the restriction to flow

Stuffing the end can with loft insulation will work but isn't recommended, a big of proper stranded stuff designed for the job is better.

Think you might be right with the oil.

The silencer was correctly packed but pretty oily.

495509fd6549bacdb576be48a896771f.jpg

I didn't have any caustic soda but did have washing soda so mixed up a v. strong and hot solution, this bought out quite a lot of oily crap from the expansion chamber. I followed up with foaming oven cleaner and water is now flowing through it easily and coming out clean.

I will repack the silencer and I guess I should clean what I can of the exhaust port as that will likely be in a similar condition.

I didn't have any caustic soda but did have washing soda so mixed up a v. strong and hot solution, this bought out quite a lot of oily crap from the expansion chamber. I followed up with foaming oven cleaner and water is now flowing through it easily and coming out clean.

I will repack the silencer and I guess I should clean what I can of the exhaust port as that will likely be in a similar condition.

Foaming oven cleaner usually contains caustic soda and is a viable alternative to caustic pellets+water, but not as strong.

Remember kids, caustic solutions are more dangerous than acidic ones, so be careful out there.

I have the secondhand engine all fitted and running in the Elyseo now and it is booked in for an mot tomorrow as it runs out in early December. I am pretty sure it will need a front tyre and maybe a number plate as well. The annoying thing is that having now ridden it I don't really like it. The seat just seems too wide which I thought would be a good thing being a bit of a fat bastard but really it just make me sit a bit too far forward so it will have to go. It won't be really cheap though as it has cost me a lot more than I wanted to spend to get it back up and running. Would £500 be a sensible starting price for a 1 owner Elyseo 125 with 45k on the clock ? The mot history was prefect and it has never failed but I expect that to change in the morning..

post-5515-0-76435000-1511794180_thumb.jpg

post-5515-0-56869500-1511794193_thumb.jpg