The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

Just back for the BSA Ariel 3 bumble at Bosworth Water, 22 miles yeasterday along narrow roads screams out little engines off and heading north of 20mph !!!

38522018541_451cf370e1_c.jpgIMG_0958 by paul.bottomley, on Flickr

Today us die hards who stayed on for a 15 mile jaunt, (just the three bikes) were joined by fellow "i like small cars" owner Steve, with his support vehicle in case we broke down.

26745938079_b6a0b0ab1e_c.jpgIMG_0023 by paul.bottomley, on Flickr

I have to say a few heads were turning at the bikes then the Peel. great fun in the sun!!!!

Had time for a couple of hours on the Caren this afternoon, sadly it wasn't an unqualified success. I should have known to be worried about the carb when I found wire brush bristles in the float bowl. In addition to cleaning* it with a cup brush, someone has tried - unsuccessfully - to drill out the main jet, which pretty much renders it scrap, as is the vacuum tap on the fuel tank. Ho hum.

In the meantime, I managed to tick something off the list of jobs by stripping and cleaning the seized rear brake.

I started to take my kitchen decoration apart, spent three hours on it & all the electrics, seat, tank, etc has gone. Next is getting the exhausts off & top end off the engine before lifting that out. Then the suspension & brakes comes off & I can get the frame welded.

attachicon.gifStroppy in kitchen 2 (600 x 337).jpg

That's a single blokes kitchen right there :D

Errrm there is a 'feature' wall in that shot.

It'll go next year after I rewire though, I fecking hate 'feature' walls. They just look like you got bored halfway through decorating.

In an ideal world I'd like something with the size and weight of a Puch or Tomos but with the poke of a C90.

An idea would be to graft a pit bike engine into a Tomos frame. Havent a bloody clue how to go about it though - anyone any thoughts on this?

There was a Chinese bike using a cub style engine which is exactly what you are looking for.

Cant remember what it was sold as in the USA (where I last saw one advertised) but I'm sure a Google search will find the bugger!

Can't help but ponder how much fun/ how much less practical this would be rather than my LML for commuting. One way of looking at it would be to think of the time saved by not slowing down for speed bumps. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kawasaki-KE125-1984-RARE-CLASSIC-ENDURO-STYLE-LEARNER-LEGAL-2-STROKE-MOTORCYCLE/292325238542?hash=item440ff1270e:g:OSwAAOSwCJxaBZat

I think a Honda Chaly would fit the bill quite well too. Most (if not all) of them should be MoT and VED free from next year as a bonus.

$_86.JPG

As Mr Angel says the Chaly costs ££££ as I found when I was looking at DAX's last year - however something like this:

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skyteam-PBR-Pro-Monkey-Monkey-Bike-125cc-OR-50cc/202102604679?hash=item2f0e410387:g:150AAOSw9gRZ~F7P

At less than a bag new and no MOT to worry about for 3 years (£28 a month man maths)

However being a Skyteam the fixings, bearings and electrics will be made of cheesium.

2 stroke and/or rank moped technical support pls.

I've been working on my latest inadvisable purchase, the gilera runner. It's a 50cc 2 stroke.

It wouldn't run when it got to me, although I took the sellers word that it RAN WEN PARKED M8.

It would run on easy start / brake cleaner so I thought fuel or carb.

I stripped and cleaned the carb but it was the same, it would just about run on full throttle but only get to 2-3000rpm max.

I tried it on a separate feed of fresh fuel and it was no different so I thought there must be something wrong with the carb and/or choke.

I've now put on a new carb, and drained the tank and fuel lines and filled with fresh fuel, and put a new plug in.

Its basically the same, will only start on full throttle and will just about rev to 5000rpm or so but will not idle, lots of smoke that smells muchly of fuel.

Obviously there's not much more mechanically that could be wrong, either the exhaust or something like a crankcase leak or piston rings.

How do I go about testing these things? Compression test, leak down test? I have none of the tools for that sort of thing so not sure where to start.

If you put your hand over the carb inlet (filter side) to choke it off will it then start without ether?

If so I would suspect stuffed main bearings and seals.

Blockage in the exhaust? See if it will run without, probably better to try this in the daytime it will be loud.

Possible it could be a stuffed generator/ CDI pickup maybe.

If the rings were that badly worn it wouldn't start/ run.

Thanks, yes it will idle with the carb almost entirely blocked off, I did this before replacing the carb and decided it meant it was the choke or carb.

Will pull the reeds and exhaust for a check and see if I can rig up a ghetto leakdown test with a bike pump and inner tube.

If the main oil seals have gone the crankcase won't hold pressure right?

Does the clutch sit in oil? I can’t really picture the bottom end. If so depending on which way the seal leaks worst, surely you’d either get excessive smoke or your oil will be thin from petrol. The thin oil over the filling line is always a giveaway on a Vespa, which tend not to show too many other signs.