The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

you know what, on paper it seems like an underpowered bike. on the road it makes tons of sense. it actually feels nice at 70-80mph unlike a lot of jap bikes that are doing silly revs at that speed. I also like that it doesnt make me ride like an arse.

The NC forum seems quite busy and i see quite a few nc700 and nc750 s on my commute.

You're singing to the choir here M8, I like the NCs and quite a few of my mates own or have owned them. Like you, no one I know who's actually ridden one has anything bad to say about them!

Shameless advertising now (sort of)

https://www.motorbikemaintenance.co.uk/

My midweek landlord, Mark, has spent 30 years in Motorcycle racing, but on the side teaches people how to maintain big bikes properly.

Him and his better half are planning to move North of the Border to Dumfries, to open a bike repair / tyre / MOT / sales / biker café

They tell me that there isn't a decent bike shop between Carlisle and Glasgow and yet they believe that there are 3000 active bikers in the area.

I wish them luck. (Despite that I will have to find new digs in the new year)

Still haven’t seen the bike since it was hidden away, however. The Honda lot noticed that I had part of the wiring loom missing from the auto sensor. (Cables could be there, but again I haven’t checked)

I wrote that if all was well, I’d spend around £500 tidying the bike up. One of the blokes says that won’t make it useable, another guy pm’d me and said the last one of these engines he rebuilt was $1700.

I thought whim purchases were supposed to be fun?

I think it will be the difference between getting it running and on the road and doing a rebuild on it. If the engine and box is ok and the forks don't need rechroming £500 looks do able

You might find a second hand set of fork stanchions that will fit, I can't imagine Honda made unique ones for the bike. Or maybe even a full set of forks... 250N forks might be a good match.

You're singing to the choir here M8, I like the NCs and quite a few of my mates own or have owned them. Like you, no one I know who's actually ridden one has anything bad to say about them!

I have one and it's ace. It's a 750S with the manual gearbox.  I could bang on about it's virtues for paragraphs but I won't other than to say that the sheer Japaneseness, nay Hondaness, is fantastic - really well made, thoughtful details, incredible economy, real world performance and bulletproof reliability. They also remove you from the current willy waving horsepower wars and send you down your own lane of quiet satisfaction.

You might find a second hand set of fork stanchions that will fit, I can't imagine Honda made unique ones for the bike. Or maybe even a full set of forks... 250N forks might be a good match.

If the actual tube is ok you can get them rechromed for £150.

This afternoon I managed to ride two fully automatic bikes - both electrically powered, the Zero S and the Zero DSR. Never ridden an electric bike before, so not sure what to expect.

The S had the smaller power battery in it, which gave decent acceleration, and I saw 80 mph on the speedo. It was a bit odd having no exhaust or engine noise, just a whine at higher speeds, and bugger all at low speeds. Soon got used to it though.

I think this model was learner legal, and its good enough in urban areas - certainly quick enough to 80mph. It has three "maps"-Eco, Sport and Custom. Not much difference between Eco and Sport that i could tell, apart from better engine braking in Eco. Custom setting can be adjusted via a downloaded app and Bluetooth. If I had a 20 mile commute, it would be fine, but I do 120 miles a day, so needed the bigger battery bike.

Thr DSR felt much more substantial but the weight is distributed well. Riding position very much like the NC700, so comfy for me. Same three map options - when I left the dealership I was told to have it on Eco until I was on a dry road not strewn with mud from the recent beet harvest. Plenty quick enough, felt nicely suspended and handled well on the tight lanes. Out on to the main road I switched to Sport and twisted the throttle. Although I understood the concept of "100% of torque" all the time, the reality is way more than what I thought. Open the throttle at any speed (15 mph, 40 mph or 70 mph, no matter) the thing just accelerates instantly. No waiting for the engine to pick up some revs - the power is just there. Instantly, at any speed. Stated to here as much torque as a 1000cc bike. Like to ride it alongside my KTM RC8 or GSX-R1000 to really see, but doubt there would be much in it. Battery life is much more than my one way commute.

Very impressed with the bikes overall, the only stumbling block being the high purchase price, but with running costs stated to be as low as 1p per mile, I've some number crunching to do before I decide if i am to dismiss it.

Thanks for the heads up- very interesting.

The way they’ve got around the whole learner thing with continuous versus max power output is genius- means I could rip about on my A1 license.

I’m sure I could charge it at work too. But £10k? Jeez!

Thanks for the heads up- very interesting.

The way they’ve got around the whole learner thing with continuous versus max power output is genius- means I could rip about on my A1 license.

I’m sure I could charge it at work too. But £10k? Jeez!

There is a Zero s with 91 miles on the clock for sale at the Zero dealers in Swanley for £6,995..............

I did get some funny looks from some dog walkers and a couple of riders on horseback as I went silently past them. Never got to see the face of the driver who I overtook at a tad* over 70mph under hard acceleration. Not many pedestrians wearing earphones to worry about in Norfolk (unlike my route in to work in that London)-I should not have been surprised that the horn was really loud! 

Fitted a new oil cooler, clutch slave and balanced the TB's on Fugly today, Suzuki's really are shite in the quality of fasteners they used on exposed parts, the bike is nice and simple to work on though as there's lots of space around things.

PjSbwi6.jpg

Its now for sale if anyone wants to throw me £3k

t868spJ.jpg

Did you even ride it? that's a quick sale even for you.

I rode it from Warrington to Kendal, so that's about 80 miles, twas enough, its awesome but not something I want, the temptation to pull mile long wheelies at 100mph is too strong when I own stuff like this, it was never bought to keep, it was bought for £profit, although the new parts I've had to buy have reduced that somewhat.

And what do you mean for me? I've only had 4 bikes this year (so far)

4 bikes & 6 rideouts?

Did one rideout with Loon this year, done a couple of TD's, a couple of tours, lots of exploring and a bit of general twatting around, I am trying to find a keeper, but its hard, almost found it in the Versys but it was too slow and had budget suspension, I enjoy finding/buying/selling/trading bikes, I just don't have a great budget due to funding childrens drinking habits education.

Went to pay for my Aprilia RS250 today (being MOT'd this week before my brother collects it for me). Bloke I bought it from has three cars in his yard for sale-a 51 plate Jaguar XJ 308 V8 Executive, an X plate Ralliart Mitsubishi Galant and an N plate Nissan Skyline. All looked really good, the Skyline was particularly nice and straight.

Buying the RS made me realise I am tight for space, so the CZ250 and Suzuki Hokuto will have to go to make room. I'll post up some photos tomorrow when I reshuffle the garage.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/northern-ireland/42037086

Went to school with this lad, he was a couple of years below me but knew him through a charity we were both involved in to keep kids from riding bikes illegally off road.

A true diamond who had grafted his tits off to get where he was, starting off with a ride in the R6 Cup and moving onto superstock then road racing, he competed at the TT the last few years taking the privateers trophy in 2016.

He leaves behind a girlfriend and 2 sons.

RIP Hego.