Old Car Park - US Edition

They did, and when they stopped selling 'em there (replaced by the Mk3 Scrote), Ford had a load of spare 1.6 Kent engines that they used to create the Mk1 XR2.That picture is fantastically evocative, and just goes to show how big those mid-70s US landyachts were. The two blue 'uns to the left of the 626 (Pontiac and Cadillac) were probably the biggest that US cars will ever be. The brown Caprice next to the Caddy and the van shows the pretty drastic effect of the GM "full size" downsizing in 1977. Pretty brave on their part given the rest of the Big 3 still had the titans, but the second fuel crisis showed they were right.I spy a Chevette, Subaru wagon, 626 coupe, Space Cruiser and a Pinto as well. Just goes to show that in the US in the 80s, it was either Yank tin, Jap tin, a smattering of German (I spy a Mk2 and Mk2 Golf) or nothing.

Excellent pics. No-one has commented on the superb piece of red sh*te in the near middle left - Datsun F11 Cherry I believe. The Merkur XR4Ti suggests the pic was taken around 1985. I lived in the US during this period and don't remember the Cherry as being particularly common. Presumably most had rusted away by this point. /Anorak onThe brown one in the front row isn't a Caprice. I'm 95% sure it's an Oldsmobile as the grille gives it away. The model is a bit harder. As far as I can see from memory and my car books it's a Delta 88 and the grille suggests a 1981 model, though could be a 1980./Anorak off

I thought the Brown Olds was a Cutlass, a clone of the Caprice, but I might not be correct in that. Getting to the bottom of `80s GM badge engineering, calling one car several different names and then also sometimes calling more than one car the same name and all that, is a long and ardous process, although I would say after a year`s solid research I am fairly confident with about 5% of the J-car variations now.Pretty sure the white car in between the Black Caddy and what I belive to be a GM X-car, possibly a Chevy Citation, is a Starsky & Hutch Torino, looking very, very different in that trim.The daft thing is back then I bet none of these people, with the possible exceptions of the Fiero and Camaro owners would have been under the impression that they were in posession of a decent car, especially at that awkward time when small cars were probably still seen as a joke - no matter how good, whether domestic or foreign - and big old barges were outmoded and unfashionable.I`d take either the Montrose-style 626 coupe or the LTD with a strange two-tone paint job apparently confined to the rear wing.

Thats an awful lot of foreign/'small' cars for mid 1980s America - must be either west or east coast. Is it a university car park by chance?.

Is this pic actually in the USA - or could it be in Canada?I agree that there is an awful lot of "foreign" metal in the pic - especially if it was taken in the 80's

Pretty sure the white car in between the Black Caddy and what I belive to be a GM X-car, possibly a Chevy Citation, is a Starsky & Hutch Torino, looking very, very different in that trim.

-anorak mode- Its a Ford Elite - a naff 'personal coupe' based on the 72-76 Torino and looking, not surprisingly, an awful lot like a Torino. A sort of cut price Thunderbird when the T-bird itself was seriously lardy!http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Elite-double anorak mode- the silver GM X car is a late 5dr Chevy Chevette, which is a relative of the much loved Vauxhall Shuvit.

Pretty sure the white car in between the Black Caddy and what I belive to be a GM X-car, possibly a Chevy Citation, is a Starsky & Hutch Torino, looking very, very different in that trim.

-anorak mode- Its a Ford Elite - a naff 'personal coupe' based on the 72-76 Torino and looking, not surprisingly, an awful lot like a Torino. A sort of cut price Thunderbird when the T-bird itself was seriously lardy!http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Elite-double anorak mode- the silver GM X car is a late 5dr Chevy Chevette, which is a relative of the much loved Vauxhall Shuvit.
I am not only impressed with your level of knowledge, but also my own, as I was not far off!However, in order to correct another of my errors I must now don a triple anorak and point out that the fact that you correctly identified the car I said was a Citation as a Chevette, must surely mean that I was also wrong about it being an X-car, and it is in fact a T-car.