Here's one for rare Renner fans

mnde

Maybe Renner, Pug and Cit were all contracted to produce emergency vehicles. Citroen's answer was the DS Safari and later the CX; Pug converted the 504, but Renault - with no estate car larger than the R12, got Baboulin to convert the R20? And subsequently used the R21 Savannah....These R20 conversions have to be exceedingly rare now.Mark.

I wouldn't have thought a diesel R20 would make a particularly good ambulance. The standard car was already a bit of a slug - the 2068cc diesel engine was never exactly a powerhouse in normally aspirated form - so I would think that with the extra weight of the conversion and medical equipment, performance would be 2CV-esque. The one in the pics at least has the benefit of a petrol engine. Yes it does look a bit odd, but then so do a lot of the cars that we tend to like on this here forum...

Why didn't they just use a CX in the first place?

So that years later, there would be a weird Renault 20 version to stumble across as well.Why did Nissan offer so many slightly different-grilled versions of the same Nissan that itself doesn`t really have a place in the range and is pretty hard to understand the reasoning behind? No-one will ever know but that sort of thing makes japanese car books a lot thicker and more confusing so it can only be a good thing.I`d take that over the depressing looking Meriva rapid-response ambulances in sunny Dewsbury any day.

Hi Mr Reno,Yeah I'm a bit of a Renault fan, but I'm mainly into Citroens... but also all kinds of BL tat etc.IMO that tailgate looks exactly the same as the CX one, except that it's been adapted at the top with an extension piece to fit with the raised roof.Apart from these pics, I've read that Baboulin also made R30 ambulances... which gives the tantalising theory that there might be a V6 ambulance out there...... 8) or possibly a Turbodiesel.Cheers,Mark.