Shite Vans.

freebird

I did check to see whether this has been covered before ( it must have!) but when I typed "shite vans" into the search facillity, it came up with 145 pages and I really dont have enough life force in me to go through every bloody page.

If there is one and a mod would like to mer, oh yeah, there isnt one.... :wink:

Anyway, shite vans.

l_zpsf96ce8f7.jpg

My all time favourite.

A Standard Atlas powered by, IIRC, all the verve of a sub 1000cc Triumph Herald lump. I want one so bad! Hey, even a drive of one would be deeply fulfilling.

There used to be loads of these around when i was a kid, now there are fook all. :(

This is my second favourite.

7348215678_8b3931be4f_z_zpsc260073d.jpg

They just dont make shite like "real" shite anymore.

They just dont make shite like "real" shite anymore.

All things are relative, and it's true that any new van is 100 times better than even a good one from the 60s but these were crap even when they were new...

3nDUKGyl.jpg

I agree, they aint brilliant but I think i will trump you and throw this in.

transit-eco-1_zps22eafa17.jpg

Possibly the very worst Transit that Ford ever made.

Style over substance and i will tell you what, having seen the "New Transit" out and about, I will be very suprised if those smug "Backbone of Britain" shift production to Turkey wankers havent monumentally fucked it all up.

Ha! That Pegaso J4 based thing looks like it would be particularly crap.

Barkas:

barkas1.jpg

Not really shite, just were never upgraded much in their extended lifetime.

Actually pretty clever when they first came out - I believe the first ever FWD van which meant a large capacity and low loading area at the back.

I would love to try one of these one day. I think nigel bickle of this parish has one?

IIRC Standard did actually go on to make an Atlas Major with the bigger 2 litre standard vanguard engine. the normal 948cc van was so ludicrously low geared to enable it to get moving it was pretty much all out of ideas by about 50 mph. Went on to become the Leyland 20 when standard/triumph was bought out by BMC, then remained in production in India under the standard name well into the '80s.

Briefly used as the basis for a 4 wheeler version of the scammell scarab urban artic, didnt come to much because it was "bloody stupid"

I'm just trying to think of any van from the '60s that wasn't shit, and they all were; no wonder the Transit was such a revelation.

Stylistically I like the J4 and the Commer PB but they are dire machines to drive, just awful.

Bedford CFs were fuggin ace, especially with the 2.3 slant 4 petrol engine. when empty you could drift them just by sticking your boot down.

Whilst the new Transit might not be the last word in reliability, they are pretty nice to drive and live with.

This however is just plain shit -

ldv-maxus-van-swb-diesel_7862617.jpg

Massively unreliable with very regular mechanical failures and various other bits - door locks especially - that were incredibly poor quality. Actually ok to drive but otherwise hopeless.

Some Spanish ones for you...

ebro-f350-04.jpg

Ebro F350 'Trade'

About twenty years ago the fruit & veg shop in our local town had a very rusty right hand drive Ebro van. A bit like this one, but with more plastic attached to it. I think it also said 'powered by Nissan' or some such on it. I have never seen any other evidence of UK market Ebro vans, so I assume the number left from this time is ZERO %... :?

Whilst the new Transit might not be the last word in reliability, they are pretty nice to drive and live with.

This however is just plain shit -

ldv-maxus-van-swb-diesel_7862617.jpg

Massively unreliable with very regular mechanical failures and various other bits - door locks especially - that were incredibly poor quality. Actually ok to drive but otherwise hopeless.

I had one of these for a week, expected the worst, but have to agree with you, ok to drive.

Deffo built to a price, and the centre speedo wasn't a great idea. Are they based on something else? Who's parts bin did they raid..?

The ultimate shite van 8)

6829448736_9ec28f2085.jpg

The Jensen Tempo, front wheel drive, based on a German van (Matador) but with a BMC B-series engine and screwed together in the same factory as the Interceptor (actually the 541 at the time) Top of my wants list of vehicles made in the Black Country, but probably extinct now :(

Game, set and match?

About twenty years ago the fruit & veg shop in our local town had a very rusty right hand drive Ebro van. A bit like this one, but with more plastic attached to it. I think it also said 'powered by Nissan' or some such on it. I have never seen any other evidence of UK market Ebro vans, so I assume the number left from this time is ZERO %... :?

Yep, were definitely sold here, through (and badged as IIRC) a Nissan, called a 'Trade'.

nissan-trade-01.jpg

There was an intermediate one which looked like this...

ebro-f275-09.jpg

I would love any of them!

According to 'How many left' there was one on a Sorn up until last year. So yet another Spanish vehicle gone the way of the Seat Malaga.. :cry:

There was an intermediate one which looked like this...

ebro-f275-09.jpg

Yes, I remember one of those in the area I grew up in. Definitely not something you saw a lot of.

With the Citroen H van, it annoys me that they did absolutely nothing to update the mechanicals (apart from fit an alloy cylinder head from the mid-1960s and give a feeble diesel option) during its production run from 1947 to 1981. Why didn't they give it later mechanicals and a half-way decent turn of pace? Here was a van which handled brilliantly, and had a ridiculously low load space. Hampered by 1930s running gear (Traction Avant but with the engine ahead of the gearbox) and an archaic three-speed gearbox, so 55mph is hard work.