Council Abandoned Vehicles Fun!

Just saw this press release.....*****Bangers and cash as number of cars dumped in Wakefield District plummetsNew figures released today show that over the last four years Wakefield Council has seen an 82 per cent drop in the number of abandoned vehicles being reported.In 2003 the council had to clear up 901 abandoned vehicles but last year this fell to just 160 helping to create a safer environment. This is thanks to a combination of tougher enforcement, new rules deterring would-be car dumpers and high scrap metal prices - all leading to a massive drop in the number of wrecks being left on streets.Cllr Margaret Isherwood, Wakefield Council's Deputy Cabinet Member responsible for Community Safety, said: "A triple whammy of cracking down on would be dumpers, quicker clearing up by the council and soaring metal prices are helping to win the battle against unsightly old bangers being left on our streets. People tell us that these eyesores make them feel unsafe in their own neighbourhood, they're also a target for arson which can cause a dangerous situation. Figures like those released today show the council is working hard to make people feel safe and secure."A few years ago, you'd have had to pay someone to take your old car away but now, scrap metal dealers will pay you up to £1,000 for the pleasure. This has definitely helped the situation but the council is also playing an important role. We've listened to the concerns of local people and reacted accordingly."These eyesores attract crime and the public rightly expects them to be removed quickly. If anyone sees an abandoned vehicle, they can call the council who will send someone out to deal with it quickly and efficiently. There's no room for complacency though and we'll be doing all we can to make sure that cars aren't dumped on our streets and when they are, they're cleared up as a top priority."*****1. I just love how they've played down the fact that they're mostly just getting hi-abbed away by the local scrotebags in order to give themselves a self-congratulatory pat on the back.2. Paying you up to £1000 to take your old car away?!

Saw a Vectra wheelclamped yesterday and the sticker on the windscreen said 'untaxed vehicle'It was still there today, so what happens with them? I thought they just took them off to the compound.

If you could somehow get that car onto a spectacle lift or such other, and put it over the bridge with the clamp on... :twisted::twisted::twisted:

Saw a Vectra wheelclamped yesterday and the sticker on the windscreen said 'untaxed vehicle'It was still there today, so what happens with them? I thought they just took them off to the compound.

If you could somehow get that car onto a spectacle lift or such other, and put it over the bridge with the clamp on... :twisted::twisted::twisted:
Thats a Bloody good Idea.

if its higher value it'lll get auctioned; if its of lower value it'll get collected by the designated scrapyard & get crushed.By lower value, probably anything worth less than 1000 - 1500 pounds I'd guess.Wasteful society... no less wastefull than Vauxhalls 'ecoflex' thing they've got going on now - trade your 'old' car in for a new Vauxhall & they guarantee to scrap it... for the sake of the environment et all.Sickening to see what comes in & has to get crushed. We're not talking about old, worn out, high mileage bangers here...

Haven't posted on here for a while, but this is really getting on my tits.Recently I was thinking I needed a towcar, and there's an X-reg Freelander down the road from me that was untouched for about three months. When the tax disc ran out it got a council sticker saying, if you don't remove it in a week, we will.It was still there a week later so I rang the council and asked what the score would be if it was uncollected. It would be crushed, I was told. Livered: So can I buy it off you instead? Jobsworth: No. Livered: What, even if you get more money from me than the scrappy? Councils have a duty to get best value for services, blah blah... Jobsworth: No. Health and safety - the vehicle might be dangerous!It was crushed. What a waste. For all they knew there might have been nothing whatsoever wrong with it.

Cllr Margaret Isherwood, Wakefield Council's Deputy Cabinet Member responsible for Community Safety, said: "A triple whammy of cracking down on would be dumpers, quicker clearing up by the council and soaring metal prices are helping to win the battle against unsightly old bangers being left on our streets."

A double whammy of disillusionment with the Labour government and a resurgent Tory party is helping to win the battle against unsightly old bangers lingering in Wakefield Council:

Posted Image

Actually, a thought to muse is that whilst they attempt to remove all "unsightly old bangers" from Wakefield's streets, I am forever obtaining more of them to add to the district.

Haven't posted on here for a while, but this is really getting on my tits.Recently I was thinking I needed a towcar, and there's an X-reg Freelander down the road from me that was untouched for about three months. When the tax disc ran out it got a council sticker saying, if you don't remove it in a week, we will.It was still there a week later so I rang the council and asked what the score would be if it was uncollected. It would be crushed, I was told. Livered: So can I buy it off you instead? Jobsworth: No. Livered: What, even if you get more money from me than the scrappy? Councils have a duty to get best value for services, blah blah... Jobsworth: No. Health and safety - the vehicle might be dangerous!It was crushed. What a waste. For all they knew there might have been nothing whatsoever wrong with it.

An 'end of life' vehicle at 7/8 years old is a bit of a surprise, a Land Rover even more so! :o

Actually, a thought to muse is that whilst they attempt to remove all "unsightly old bangers" from Wakefield's streets, I am forever obtaining more of them to add to the district.

Excellent work Hirst! Keep it up! The world needs more of this kind of forward thinking.

if its higher value it'lll get auctioned; if its of lower value it'll get collected by the designated scrapyard & get crushed.By lower value, probably anything worth less than 1000 - 1500 pounds I'd guess Sickening to see what comes in & has to get crushed. We're not talking about old, worn out, high mileage bangers here...

the local contractor for DVLA untaxed cars sends everything complete to EMR at shoreham by sea apparrently any thing with a TRADE value of less than 4K gets crushed - higher and it goes to auction have personally seen 03 golf TDI , 01 mondeo , and loads of other late stuff including a Smart car sitting waiting to be fragged very wasteful there was even a LDV speclift 6 months ago crewcab recovery truck, turbo diesel , beacons, electric winch the lot , really tidy -- mot exempt so i suppose no excuse for no tax but sickening to watch it being grabbed by a crane and tossed on the heap :( too shocked to take pics [/b]

Just saw this press release.....*****..."A few years ago, you'd have had to pay someone to take your old car away but now, scrap metal dealers will pay you up to £1,000 for the pleasure."...*****...2. Paying you up to £1000 to take your old car away?!

They repeated this value on Radio 4 last night - the more it gets bandied around the more folk will begin to believe it. :roll:

Just saw this press release.....*****..."A few years ago, you'd have had to pay someone to take your old car away but now, scrap metal dealers will pay you up to £1,000 for the pleasure."...*****...2. Paying you up to £1000 to take your old car away?!

They repeated this value on Radio 4 last night - the more it gets bandied around the more folk will begin to believe it. :roll:
I guess if you take into consideration the fact you get a grand+ off a new Vauxhall if you let them frag your car its true..

• 1 month later...

Following on from my comment about the Vauxhall Ecoflex scheme and the scrapping of good cars apparently for the sake of the environment... how about a new shape 1998 Vauxhall Astra SXi 3 door in Silver with 53k miles, proper FVSH, alloys and in excellent condition; Doesn't float your boat? Try this... a 2000 Rover Sterling Coupe 2.5 KV6 Auto in BRG with Grey Leather interior, 38k miles, FSH, all the usual luxuries that these flagship cars came with and in truly immaculate condition - no dents, scratches, or marks of any kind or dirt ANYWHERE, no dash lift - common Rover 800 problem and the engine sounds as sweet as a nut. It could be parked on a forecourt as it is & would be sold in no time - its probably one of the best examples in the UK - not kidding.Both scrapped. And there are many more good cars, the shite & eventual classics of tomorrow being destroyed right now.It is utter madness & something needs to be done about it imo. :evil:

Total waste indeed imo. Sums up todays throwaway Society, and thats not just cars either.What goes around comes around though, in 25 years time the people who conserve and look after what machines they have now, will be able to bask in the glory of having a deliciously rare and interesting motor.Although I hate to think of any shite becoming truly endangered :cry:

Just saw this press release.....2. Paying you up to £1000 to take your old car away?!

I've no doubt they will pay you £1000.... if you happen to be driving around in a WW2 tank full of scaffolding poles!

Following on from my comment about the Vauxhall Ecoflex scheme and the scrapping of good cars apparently for the sake of the environment... how about a new shape 1998 Vauxhall Astra SXi 3 door in Silver with 53k miles, proper FVSH, alloys and in excellent condition; Doesn't float your boat? Try this... a 2000 Rover Sterling Coupe 2.5 KV6 Auto in BRG with Grey Leather interior, 38k miles, FSH, all the usual luxuries that these flagship cars came with and in truly immaculate condition - no dents, scratches, or marks of any kind or dirt ANYWHERE, no dash lift - common Rover 800 problem and the engine sounds as sweet as a nut. It could be parked on a forecourt as it is & would be sold in no time - its probably one of the best examples in the UK - not kidding.Both scrapped. And there are many more good cars, the shite & eventual classics of tomorrow being destroyed right now.It is utter madness & something needs to be done about it imo. :evil:

Please tell me that is a joke. The Rover had a gearbox fault and the Astra had a wiring fault that no auto electrician could get to the bottom of, right?This isn`t just a shame, this is affecting people`s livelihoods, those two should have been sold to the trade to allow someone to make some money on them, and two people to get themselves a nice car, who gains from their destruction? That actually makes me physically sick just thinking about it.

A 51-reg Punto has been abandoned in a car park here. If it isn't in full working order, it'll cost more to rectify and register here than its resale value... if it IS in full working order, it'll cost nearly as much as it's worth to send it back to the UK on a ferry! :lol:

I weighed a couple of Kas in last year that weren't worth arsing about with (least not in my opinion) plus a V reg Corsa that had been heavily twatted but this new crushing scheme from Vauxhall is just madness, and absolute madness at that.How long before all manafacturer's dealers are leant on in the same way and there's sod all left for the likes of us who are enthusiastic about older cars?The Rover and tye Astra being binned is criminal: I don't expect to find many people lamenting the Astra to be fair but someone could have had a bloody good car there and maybe there was a college, school or council run scheme somewhere to teach kids how to fix cars who would have liked it?

How long before all manafacturer's dealers are leant on in the same way and there's sod all left for the likes of us who are enthusiastic about older cars?

You just have to look to Ireland to see how that worked out.Very little interesting native stuff of a certain age left, 'cos it was all fragged in the '90s in the name of progress.While it's nice that we can "re-stock" with UK cars, what would you guys do if all the old shitters were replaced with new Corsas or Astras? Look to Australia or NZ for decent RHD stuff? Or learn to love (expensive) LHD tat?

they don't all get crushed you know,they do got to certain yards,as others have said you would not believe what does get scrapped,a mate of mine was friendly with one of the places,he used to do redtop conversions so he got every calibra etc delivered to him,all the folks stuff was there as well,got a few nice things out of it :wink:

While it's nice that we can "re-stock" with UK cars, what would you guys do if all the old shitters were replaced with new Corsas or Astras?

Drown myself probably.

While it's nice that we can "re-stock" with UK cars

Yeah thanks for that! :roll::lol:

what would you guys do if all the old shitters were replaced with new Corsas or Astras? Look to Australia or NZ for decent RHD stuff? Or learn to love (expensive) LHD tat?

Hire a car ferry & sneak over to Malta in the dead of the night....