Citroën XM, derv, badermatic, in a blue. *BOUGHT*

flat4alfa

The Alfa 156 Wagon daily is getting shonkyish. Thinking replacement. Croma? 9-3 Wagon? Or midnight bid on eBay? Wine is your friend.

Auction closed a few days later, 10pm-ish. Won it. History repeats itself, again. It ruined her Mother's Day.

At least le cuir et l'alcantara et le bois de faux will be comfy, I thought.

oof.jpg KGr_Hq_J_r_FDk_Sg_KGi_BRMnz_GCSvw_60_57.jpg T2e_C16_Z_y_EE9s5j_GJh_YBRMnz_NNOB_60_57.jpg

Boogie Down Productions.

Fresh in '96

You suckers?

Found myself delivered to Cambridgeshire in the Old Man's C5. That's a benchmark magic carpet ride, right there.

Years ticket, on the button up and ready to go, with recent rubber. Started it up and it ran well. Raised it and lowered it and sniffed the fluids. Handed over a thin wedge of cash and jumped in. Drove home 80-odd miles without drama. Performed a good few licence-busting overtaking attempts in the name of road testing.

It's a Phase 2 XM in Exclusive trim level, with the Hydractive II and the XUD 2.1 TD and... it's pretty loaded with leather/alcantara, climate, cruise, 'leccy windows/mirrors/sunroof and.... 'leccy armrest. Most of which appear to work!

Richardsen Hosken came up trumps as the underwriter didnt want to list any XM under 'Classic'. So - a 1996 XM is now on me classic multicar policy.

KGr_Hq_V_g0_FEKOFYLBc_BRMnz_Q7_MS_60_57.jpg T2e_C16_F_z_UE9s38_QPVBRMny8f4g_60_57.jpg T2e_C16_J_8_E9s4l5_79_BRMnzj1_9g_60_57.jpg

BDP and me

we go into da party top celebrity

and when we comin a dance me no have to pay a fee

Been using it daily since. My first Citroen, ever. Good one or Bad one? Know nothing about them, but looking positive so far. The sleeping neighbours had forgotten what diesel cars used to sound like. Fiddled with the dash buttons. Aircon: dormant, will put on the tester. Sunroof: arghh it's leaking. Cruise: doesn't. All others (bar one rear window) good to go. Engine strong and gearbox changes up and down well. Strut tops clean. Will get it on the ramp at the weekend. Hopefully Messerschmitt Campbell will be on this thread soon with some advice.

That handbrake is load of clanky nonsense. What with the rickety dash buttons, you realise where they went so wrong. And this is the MkII! It cost them, dear. Authentic Gallicshite.

DVLA list just 23 others left on the road out of a total of ~131 sold to the Rosbifs. So, getting more Exclusive by the day.

Woop-woop!

That's the sound of da police

(breathing the diesel clag)

Looks like Patrick Rugg's place in March.Just off Long Causeway by any chance ?

If so both he and his son are massive Citroen fanciers so the car will be safe and reliable.

Indeed. Looks a nice buy. I'd quite like to try and diesel auto. A mate used to own one and he absolutely loved it - until the transmission broke.

You're not insane, infact it's quite rational, when I be asking you what is more dramatical, good one, bad one, this blue one or a black one, just press the pump, and it will pump up to a jacked one. N-310 is the leader of the crew, right up to your face and ready to dis you.

Fresh for '95 you suckers.

crumbs, DM!

An XM Exclusive! Gallic shizzle at its best!

Watched this on the Bay of E and you bought from top Citroen Dealer Patrick Rugg, so it'll be a tidy, well-sorted XM.

I still fail to see why people think these are complicated, and difficult to fix. yes headgaskets are a 13 hour job but you know they're cool as **** and damn rare and I have never been let down by my last four on anything that wouldn't have broke on another car (clutch cable, gasket, water leak).

Bargainous luxobarging!

My advice is join the XM owners forum - it's free!

ANd for those of you who want a taste of XM-ing, I have a superb petrol estate for sale!

Nice! Every time I see an xm I'm more and more tempted. Can only really afford a xantia though.

I will step up to the xm table one day!

£400 will buy a working on the road XM - a friend has just acquired a free one!

They are few and far between now, I would not wait too long to own one!

I've never owned (or driven) any big Citroen newer than a CX. I came to the conclusion that it is not sensible to own a Citroen that still has parts available from the main dealers.

Is it safe to buy an XM yet?

pretty much yes!

it's harder and harder to get bits from the main dealer, apart from cross-over parts with Xantias.

Simple things like injectors are no longer available from Citroen, nor is LHM in some dealerships.

Nice! Every time I see an xm I'm more and more tempted. Can only really afford a xantia though.

I will step up to the xm table one day!

£400 will buy a working on the road XM - a friend has just acquired a free one!

They are few and far between now, I would not wait too long to own one!

Just had a quick flick through the usual channels and can't see one for under £800. My car finding skillz suck though! Found a nice saab 9000 I'm having thoughts about though!

Could be mildly tempted. Is it an estate or saloon? Not after an estate tbh, got no need for one.

How much day-to-day tinkering do they normally need? Can cope with a bit here and there, but not having to work on it every day. Making the potholes vanish would be nice though!

it's an estate - I don't tinker with mine - ordinarily, they drive, and drive, and drive ...

It's like every other mid 1990s car, the teeny niggly things you can live with and its rare for a major breakdown.

My worst have been a clutch cable snap on the hatch, a water hose leak on it, (oh and HGF) and an injector go in three years

It has been (apart from the hgf) cheap to run and maintain and needed less work than my 05 plate smart roadster.

Buying a tidy one should bring no more heartache than owning a Cavalier or a Sierra, tbh, except the Citroen is just better.

There are a few for sale on ebay, however they are'nt exactly priced to sell.

I did fancy an XM diesel estate, I remember being impressed with the space in the rear. In fact it seemed so big I wondered if you needed to pay council tax.

Suffice to say, it looks as if my xantia will be the only citroen I will ever own

Do they feel big to drive, or are they OK in practice? Could my missus park one?

They do, but then they are slightly longer than the average supermarket car park space. I own an estate and you do need to find a fairly large space to park it in, but it's pretty easy to work out where the corners are.

The main problems I've had with the two I've owned have been rust in the sills, which was terminal in one case, and the occasional hydraulic pipe going pop. That said they do eat up the miles on long journeys.

Oh, and the dipped headlights are rubbish.

Do they feel big to drive, or are they OK in practice? Could my missus park one?

They do, but then they are slightly longer than the average supermarket car park space. I own an estate and you do need to find a fairly large space to park it in, but it's pretty easy to work out where the corners are.

The main problems I've had with the two I've owned have been rust in the sills, which was terminal in one case, and the occasional hydraulic pipe going pop. That said they do eat up the miles on long journeys.

Oh, and the dipped headlights are rubbish.

Dipped headlamps on the s2 are hugely better than on the s1. And yes parking needs a bit more space. However it is best on the motorway or on a twisty a road. Xms handle really well. Swmbo describes my estate as a planet on wheels.