Lazy spotters thread

HillmanImp

^^^^ I think I saw this year's ago , just Googled it and found this .

Maximum Mini

Monday, 7 November 2016

Seen for sale: a (the?) Sabre Vario

Up in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, a tiny little piece of local motoring history has made it to the market. Up for sale is the Sabre Vario demonstrator. This 1985 take on the Sabre Sprint was more versatile, with removable rear roof section, turning it almost into a convertible with that bit taken off. When not, it had the ease of a full hatchback door. Pretty clever, but I don't think it was very successful. Sabre's Sprint sold in some numbers, but their Vario is almost unique. Could the demonstrator even be the sole Vario that ever materialized? That would certainly not surprise me, as 'Q518 WNL' is the only car I have ever seen photographs of.

From what the seller writes: "Here for sale is the original DC Kit Cars Sabre Vario demonstrator requiring some tlc. Based on the classic Mini this car was used as reliable daily transport before being taken off the road two years ago for some modifications to the rear suspension. It mechanically needs a few jobs to complete, ie finishing hanging the exhaust, hand brake adjustment, MOT etc. The whole interior requires renovation and the dashboard wiring needs attention but is usable at the moment. Mechanical spec: 1275cc A+ engine with unleaded head, verto clutch, 2.9 final drive, front Moulton Smootha Ride suspension, Superlight alloy wheels. Spares available to winning bidder include 1300 power unit & front subframe, alloy and steel wheels and tyres." Interested? You'll find the ad here.

This is not a Sabre Sprint - this is a Sabre Vario. And it is possibly unique in that

Picture courtesy ebay.co.uk

With the Sprint as a starting point, the car's rear was restyled with removable rear/roof section

Big hatchback door gives easier access to the rear, with tank neatly hidden. Interior needs work

The same car, now seen without the rear/roof section when it was new, back in 1985

Picture Jeroen Booij archive

Sabre instigator Steven Crabtree is seen here demonstrating the hatch of the Sabre Sprint

Picture Jeroen Booij archive

Maximum Mini op 13:12

No comments:

Post a Comment

Home

View web version

Powered by Blogger.

More pics on Web page , Google "dc kit cars sabre vario"

These aren't shite, not yet anyway, but I think they will be. This is for the Skoda lickers only I think.

post-20743-0-01248400-1503065057_thumb.jpg

post-20743-0-03272400-1503065109_thumb.jpg

post-20743-0-14051000-1503065171_thumb.jpg

Look like a couple of bog standard mk2 Superbs don't they? But they're both V6s. I haven't seen one for months (and I look for them, most people wouldn't know if they had seen one). Then I see two in three days.

They have the 3.6 V6 and are sort of a Passat R36 in a posh frock. They sold in tiny numbers. A quick look on howmanyleft left me more confused than before as they mix them up with the far more common mk1s, but it looks like no more than a few hundred were sold. If you want a high performance saloon car you probably didn't think Skoda and if you were thinking Skoda you didn't want to pay £500 a year in tax.

I'm still of the old fashioned view that a proper luxury car should have more than four cylinders and not be diesel which discounts most Superbs.

The only subtle clues as to what lies beneath are the quad pipes and a very small V6 badge, apart from that they look just like a TDI. I'd like one of these in about 15 years time. I probably won't see another one for about five years.

Also

36540004461_7d379f0ddd_b.jpg

mossy2 by Conrad Conelrad, on Flickr

2004 tax disc in the window. Inexplicably parked in the middle of an active petrol station forecourt. 

36540003721_1a498b9671_h.jpg

IMG_3644 by Conrad Conelrad, on Flickr

Not the kind of 'off road' they meant. 

36540002341_f6be082fe6_h.jpg

IMG_3646 by Conrad Conelrad, on Flickr

XJS, however, was beautiful.

These aren't shite, not yet anyway, but I think they will be. This is for the Skoda lickers only I think.

attachicon.gif20170816_122515.jpg

attachicon.gif20170818_120821.jpg

attachicon.gif20170818_123107.jpg

Look like a couple of bog standard mk2 Superbs don't they? But they're both V6s. I haven't seen one for months (and I look for them, most people wouldn't know if they had seen one). Then I see two in three days.

They have the 3.6 V6 and are sort of a Passat R36 in a posh frock. They sold in tiny numbers. A quick look on howmanyleft left me more confused than before as they mix them up with the far more common mk1s, but it looks like no more than a few hundred were sold. If you want a high performance saloon car you probably didn't think Skoda and if you were thinking Skoda you didn't want to pay £500 a year in tax.

I'm still of the old fashioned view that a proper luxury car should have more than four cylinders and not be diesel which discounts most Superbs.

The only subtle clues as to what lies beneath are the quad pipes and a very small V6 badge, apart from that they look just like a TDI. I'd like one of these in about 15 years time. I probably won't see another one for about five years.

There was a fully loaded , blue with cream leather, 80k mile one of these on Autotrader for about £6000 earlier in the year, of course as soon as I sold my W212 shitheap it had gone. So I bought a Dizzler V70, probably safer for my licence and wallet.

A quick perusal of the usual Internet car selling sites found only one for sale. A much newer 15 plate for around £18k. That's still about 50% depreciation in two years. It's a brave man that bought one new but I'm glad a few people did. When they get down to £300 I may replace the Favorit.

Also

36540004461_7d379f0ddd_b.jpg

mossy2 by Conrad Conelrad, on Flickr

2004 tax disc in the window. Inexplicably parked in the middle of an active petrol station forecourt. 

36540003721_1a498b9671_h.jpg

IMG_3644 by Conrad Conelrad, on Flickr

Not the kind of 'off road' they meant. 

36540002341_f6be082fe6_h.jpg

IMG_3646 by Conrad Conelrad, on Flickr

XJS, however, was beautiful.

I notice that Mr Conelrad is linking from a 'private' Flickr album setting, rather than having all the photos viewable from the link. How do you do that? - I'm moving from Photobucket and couldn't work out how to do that on Flickr.

Spotted in Tenby recently. Not sure what has been done to it to make it look like it's got collapsed suspension? The driver is a youngster but I'm verging on becoming an old giffer so possibly do not understand why it's been molested in this way..

If you'd looked in the load bay, you would have seen at least 5 layers of closely packed tins , similar to thesepost-17414-0-16988800-1503311679_thumb.jpeg