Lazy spotters thread

HillmanImp

When Leyland took over British Motor Holdings to form British Leyland the Maxi was almost ready to launch. They tidied up the styling a bit - using Roy Haynes formerly of Ford. Then set off to make the Marina. If they had poured the development work into the Maxi instead they might have done better in the end. That Maxi looks sorted by someone - a much improved look on slightly bigger wheels. Bravo to the owner. If you get the chance to see a Maxi in the metal they are an interesting design and deserved better.

I thought the Maxi might have looked less old-fashioned if they hadn't been obliged to use the Landcrab's doors to save money. There would have been scope to make the front windscreen and leading edge of the front doors more raked-back.

Looks like it's Giffer Friday in Belfast...

post-17915-0-44971400-1521816418_thumb.jpg

• Over 20 years old?
  • Saloon version?
  • Low spec?
  • Giffermatic?
  • Blue Badge?
  • Tartan rug on back seat?
  • Zimmerframe on back seat?  (Bonus tick there.)

Oho, and this Merc on the other side of the square...

post-17915-0-73253200-1521816561_thumb.jpg

post-17915-0-42155800-1521816573_thumb.jpg

Minus a Zimmerframe, so fewer points, but otherwise ticking all the same boxes with no sunroof and cloth seats. And a 'flippy' chrome ballhitch cover just like my dad's old Marina, ftw.

Honestly thought the last of them were C.

I forget that they used to change in the middle of the year and the letter is almost always used ahead (does that make sense).

I think the facelifted Sierra (and Sapphire) came out in March 1987. What Car? magazine road tested a Sapph Ghia at around that time if my memory serves me correct.

Facelift Fronterror at the local builders merchant yesterday.

post-17915-0-06788100-1521971299_thumb.jpg

Annoyingly, a nearby rough but early SWB version in eyepopping Brocade Yellow has now vanished before I got my arse in gear to go and take a snap. Going by the rust streaks in evidence while driving past in the dark, I'd say it was fairly borked.

Oh, and this giffer-modded Jeep too. The 'eyebrows' appear to be hi-viz tape.

post-17915-0-85388800-1521971326_thumb.jpg

This belongs to a local character, as you may have guessed. The front bumper appears to be held on with self-tappers.