Clockwork orange

bigstraight6

What gets me is that if you wanted something a bit like that, you could just get a proper Kei-car like the Mira, Alto or similar. Even a Perodua Kelisa would do!!Still, wondering when we will start to see them with Reliant-owner style "mods", old spot lamps wonkily fixed to the front with self-tappers, bumpers painted with a brush, bits of cut up old carpet everywhere, etc.

I think the main reason for their existance is they are classed as a qaudrcycle so people born before the driving licence changes in the late 80's can drive them without needing a proper driving licence. All the old duffers who would previously have been smoking about in Robins and Regals on their old bike licence will no move on to these things now.

What exactly is it? A Proton or something? Apparently the 'old giffers' do not select their vehicle the same way you & I do, their priority being economy. Certainly Rovers, Triumph Acclaims & Protons are a bloody nuisance crawling along in front of one. As Victoria Wood observed, 'It's always the brown car driven by a man in a hat.'

What exactly is it? A Proton or something?

It's an Aixam, you may recognise it from their regular motorshow stand which featured two locked vehicles and a salesperson who was happy to hand out a small leaflet, which was the same each year.They've got tiny 2-cyl 500cc petrol or diesel engines, and are targeted at people who like to bring their car into the house at night."We always regret having lack of demand"LOL

"You have to see and touch the velvet (soft touch) to appreciate that its quality is still more agreeable, and how it will make your car a veritable "lounge on wheels"."

Posted Image

Those suitcases look very small.....

What exactly is it? A Proton or something?

It's an Aixam,

"We always regret having lack of demand"

LOL

'Aix' as in the heartaches it's going to cause anyone who believes in technological progress. Maybe their motto sounds better in French? Certainly the opposite of Edith Piaf's Je ne regret rien...

Anyway they do seem to have to have some sort of licence in the UK. In the early days of the immortal Reliant Robin you only had to have a proper driving licence if you got one with a reverse gear (optional extra). S'pose the Aches does include such a refinement, though the one in bigstraight6's picture is still illegally parked. Maybe it was attracted to the dustbin on the right?

What a pointless and utterly hideous thing this is, the few that I see puttering along are nearly always being piloted by an old giffer, why do they bother, surely getting a few more years out of the trusty Rover 214 or Triumph Acclaim would be better :lol:

Posted Image

Is that you parked behind it?

The only one of these I've seen apart from the blue one spotted by Electric Leyland was an orange one in Hayle, Cornwall back in August - chances are this is the same one! We were driving though so I couldn't snap it.

These things only exist cos in France you can still drive one of these shite heaps after the rozzers inevitably confiscate your licence for driving while snotted. They are only allowed on departmental routes (B-roads) and have something like 8bhp. Over there they cost as much as a mid-range Twingo, there are a few others, Ligier, MEGA, Microcar and so on. You can get ones with targa roofs, Rover Streetwise-style placca cladding, wood dashboards, air con and lord knows what else. The exhaust diameter on em is 4mm. Who on earth buys them over here, I dont know but they need a slap. I can't even picture the typical beardy Reliant-owning 'woodscrew jockey' driving round in one to be honest.

In France they can also be driven by 14-year-olds as they're classed the same as a moped. Although they are then restricted by law to 5.5bhp.

This is the best one EVAR:

Posted Image

It's a Microcar Newstreet, and it's targeted at the 14-16-year-old market rather than the old giffers / rural drunkards that the more usual "sans permis" tend to appeal to. It's powered by a 49cc 2-stroke Yamaha moped engine making 5bhp, and it is - I suspect - extremely slow.

What a pointless and utterly hideous thing this is, the few that I see puttering along are nearly always being piloted by an old giffer, why do they bother, surely getting a few more years out of the trusty Rover 214 or Triumph Acclaim would be better :lol:

Posted Image

The only one of these I've seen apart from the blue one spotted by Electric Leyland was an orange one in Hayle, Cornwall back in August - chances are this is the same one! We were driving though so I couldn't snap it.

Tis indeed me parked behind Reg, and yes, that orange horror was in Hayle :shock:

I think that this ludicrous machines should be encouraged more. There could be subsidies available to dole-scrubbing sub-human scum to improve their 'mobilty'. The benefits of this scheme are many fold: Firstly it will allow public transport such as buses to be freed up for all sectors of society to enjoy, rather than just biddies and those slack-jawed, gum-chewing slappers from sink estates who march onto the bus with dangerous-looking gold hoopy earings and a variety of offspring representing the whole gamut of ethnic cross-pollination. In affording said SKANKS these vehicles, my QUANGO would actively encourange the sour-faced tracksuit-monkeys to drive their 50cc cars to NETTO (or wherever it is the genuinely impoverished shop(lift), in the hope that many, any of them get squashed to death by juggernauts (driven by drunk, pill-popping, masterbating Lithuanians with a shaky grasp on 'how to control 44 tonnes of speeding chinese shit imports'). Therefore, not only would the burden on the state be lessened, but the quality of the gene-pool for the future generations of this Septic Isle would be increased dramatically. Some, or in fact all of the above may not actually contain genuine opinion or beliefs. It's just funny, OK!

I think that this ludicrous machines should be encouraged more. There could be subsidies available to dole-scrubbing sub-human scum to improve their 'mobilty'. The benefits of this scheme are many fold: Firstly it will allow public transport such as buses to be freed up for all sectors of society to enjoy, rather than just biddies and those slack-jawed, gum-chewing slappers from sink estates who march onto the bus with dangerous-looking gold hoopy earings and a variety of offspring representing the whole gamut of ethnic cross-pollination. In affording said SKANKS these vehicles, my QUANGO would actively encourange the sour-faced tracksuit-monkeys to drive their 50cc cars to NETTO (or wherever it is the genuinely impoverished shop(lift), in the hope that many, any of them get squashed to death by juggernauts (driven by drunk, pill-popping, masterbating Lithuanians with a shaky grasp on 'how to control 44 tonnes of speeding chinese shit imports'). Therefore, not only would the burden on the state be lessened, but the quality of the gene-pool for the future generations of this Septic Isle would be increased dramatically. Some, or in fact all of the above may not actually contain genuine opinion or beliefs. It's just funny, OK!

:lol::lol::lol: Pogweasels Pathe newsreel on life in Blighty today, delivered in the style of Mr Chomodley-Warner :lol::lol::lol:

Posted Image

Tis indeed me parked behind Reg, and yes, that orange horror was in Hayle :shock:
Is this where the Co-Op was on the other side of the road? Then just a bit further up on the same side of the road is a turn off where two VW T3 Campers live that I snapped on my South West holiday thread (we were stuck in traffic so I managed to snap those)

The Southern Electric offices in Thatcham has one of these - in full SEC livery - parked up on the grass banking outside. It will probably end up on it's roof once the local wiggers see it on their way back from a turbo-shandy fuelled evening at the nearby pub...

D'you know, if I could buy one for a couple of grand, I would. And in Orange too (but only if they dont do lemon yellow)

But then Im a bit of a pikey when it comes to motoring costs and that looks like something that would do 70MPG, rivaled only by my humble old Honda 90 - 100 MPG, 45MPH, £15 tax, £50 insurance. If I could build some sort of device to go on the back of one to carry case notes, patients and condoms I would have another.....

Posted Image]

That picture rang a bell; a year or two ago I used to travel to South Birmingham quite a lot, and went past a place that always had a good selection of the things lined up outside. Not only do they appear to still be going strong, although I have never actually seen one of their offerings on the streets of Birmingham, but they are safeguarding their future by sponsoring the footballers who will no doubt be their customers in about 80 years time :)http://www.reliantservices.co.uk/html/aixam.htmlBtw, one of the models comes in blue with a silver roof and looks uncannily like a Renault Avantime that has been through the hot wash setting, so perhaps there is hope for the breed yet 8)

A mate's step-dad had one of these.... horrible engine noise, and don't they have a CVT gearbox too? Just a constant noise as it motors along, it's the automotive equivalent of a fly in your living room.

Anyway, he got caught speeding in it. We were amazed it could get to 30mph let alone exceed it, but any thoughts of it being a mistake were dashed when the NIP for the next speeding offence, a week later, dropped through his door. Same camera too :)

I still don't understand why these things are so expensive when you can buy a 'proper' new car like a Perodua for much, much less. £1500-£3000 seems much more like it.

and for those prices you can get a Fiat Panda or Ford Ka or Renault Clio Campus or VW Fox (i.e. cars from brands your neighbour has heard of!) for the same money!!!