Rover KV6 engine

gtd2000

I just learned something today...

The KV6 automotive petrol engine has a 24-valve quad-cam V6 configuration, and a pressurising variable intake system (VIS) to add hot spots throughout the rev range. Variants exist in 2.0-litre and 2.5-litre capacities. These were built initially by Rover Group, then by Powertrain Ltd (a sister company to MG Rover). KIA manufactured KV6 in Korea under license. Manufacturing moved from the UK to China in 2005, and the product re-designated NV6.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_KV6_engine

Didn't know anything about this at all - so if you have a blown Rover engine - you can presumably pick up a used KIA engine for buttons and stuff it in?

I wonder if the KIA variant has as many headgasket issues?

I have heard of the Kia Sedona suffering from HGF just as much as the late V6 Rover 800s. Its not entirely down to the head itself, the weak temperature sensors, plastic butterfly valves breaking and so on. It just wasn't a reliable engine.

No matter what people say, the KV6 engine just wasn't designed properly from the start, no matter where they were manufacturered, whether here, in China, Korea or Germany or wherever, the design faults will always catch up. If its not HGF its something else. Its such a shame as they really are lovely silky smooth engines when they work.

I've seen a few late KV6 800s for sale with surprisingly high mileages, I think the 'production' KV6 is fairly reliable. The early engines were pretty much prototypes I believe.

I'd trust an 825 KV6 as much as I'd trust Ed Miliband and Ed Balls..............and I trust THEM as much as I trust Tony Blair and Robert Mugabe!

As the mug behind www.rover800.info/forum I have owned pretty much every variant of the 800 but NEVER wasted my money on a KV6

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-825-2-5-auto-SLi-finshed-in-BRG-sold-to-last-owner-in-2002-by-ourselfs-/150923624001

Here's a salty, reasonably high mileage early KV6. The radiator looks a bit frilly.

To be fair, it's no 825D.

That is overpriced by at least £1495. I'm getting a KV6 engined Sterling for free.

The KV6 is a strange one. Some do reach the heady heights of the high mileage club, some just pop thier gaskets at 5k or whatever. Possibly high use of the car and piling on the miles might help? Who knows....

Having bought these from new - both in 800s and 75s - the KV6 is a superior engine to most, just unreliable. It is smooth, torquey, rorty and sounds fab.

I agree with Rich M - you would need to be very daft to consider running one . They are fragile in too many areas relating to sealing and cooling and, ultimately, the heads blow.

I have had cars from new that popped at 19000 miles, 49000 miles and 55000 miles. I have had brand new engines fitted that have managed 7000 miles and currently own two KV6 825 cars - one with CHG failure at 70000 miles and one that is just about to go (47000 miles).

Leave well alone.

Having said all of that, Lord Sterling says that there are several high mileage cars about - I would wager any amount that these are not on their first engine!

A great shame.

What I'd like to know is...

How is it possible, after all these years of designing and building engines, that they can make such an unreliable unit?

I can understand if it was the first engine they ever made and was part of a learning curve.... :roll:

IIRC quite a few 800's that were among the first fitted with the KV6 went back to Rover to be substantially "reworked" - this probably means a new engine.

Between the HGF issues on the K series and the issues with the KV6, it is little wonder that Rover struggled.

I remember reading somewhere that Rover technicians went on a course related to the K series at Powertrain, who designed the lumps. One of Powertrains' head honchos' apparently claimed that all of the K series woes were down to the way customers were treating the engine, to which a teccy is supposed to have replied " You mean they start them up."

I am on the look out for a MG ZT-T for about £1000, I ruled out the base 1.8 on lack of power and probably will not to able to find a BMW engined one in the condition I want so that leaves the 1.8 turbo or the KV6. Any thoughts on the 1.8 turbo v 2.5 KV6, driving, performance, economy, reliability?

I always thought the 1.8L variant of the K series was notoriously bad for HGF..? It's not as if they could be any worse - reputation wise really... :?

And you've heard about the KV6 - so I'm pretty sure you should be well and truly scared off by now? :?:

I have had cars from new that popped at 19000 miles, 49000 miles and 55000 miles. I have had brand new engines fitted that have managed 7000 miles and currently own two KV6 825 cars - one with CHG failure at 70000 miles and one that is just about to go (47000 miles).

Leave well alone.

If you do decide to exorcise your life of anything KV6 related and happen to posess a set of timing belt tools that could be rehomed (at least temporarily), be sure to make it known.....

Think the later KV6 as installed in the 75/ZT is much less prone to HGF (better had be as I've now got one) and way more reliable in general (cambelts apparently good for a lot more than the specified 80k).

No, that's a myth I can prove 15 times out of 16 cars owned all S reg or newer, the most recent being a 53 plate Rover 75 bought by me brand new and which lasted one year/19000 miles.

Leave well alone.

Warning after warning. Trouble is I really fancy a MG ZT-T for a bit but don’t fancy a worked hard diesel engine. I know more money will solve that but now is now the right time to spend more. What to do?

Buy a V8 :lol:

Warning after warning. Trouble is I really fancy a MG ZT-T for a bit but don’t fancy a worked hard diesel engine. I know more money will solve that but now is now the right time to spend more. What to do?

Buy a V8 :lol:

V8 now you are talking, can I have one with a supercharger please!

Ive had a V6 75 and a ZT190. Its fair to say, knowing what i know now..... :shock:

Then again, they were new cars when i bought them and I cannot speak highly enough about the quality of the cars.

A "worked hard" Diesel isnt like a worked hard petrol lump really. If you can find one with a good service history it shouldnt be as painful to own as the petrol one, surely?

Prices are pretty rock bottom at the moment. I dont think you could go too wrong.

Ive had a V6 75 and a ZT190. Its fair to say, knowing what i know now..... :shock:

Then again, they were new cars when i bought them and I cannot speak highly enough about the quality of the cars.

A "worked hard" Diesel isnt like a worked hard petrol lump really. If you can find one with a good service history it shouldnt be as painful to own as the petrol one, surely?

Prices are pretty rock bottom at the moment. I dont think you could go too wrong.

There still seams to be quite a premium for a diesel ZT-T, I think this means my budget will only buy a tatty high mileage diesel car when it looks like I can buy a smart, historied sub 100k turbo or KV6. For someone who dose not like the small power band that comes with a diesel when I will probably only do 5000-6000 miles a year makes it a tough choice.

It's a real shame the MG-ZT can't be had with a decent engine.

It's a car I'd have in a heartbeat if I could have a BMW I6 or even a Mondeo V6 in it, but having been bitten by a Rover Kettle series derivative before and being allergic to Diseasels I suspect I'll have to go without. I'd have the V8all right but they're still commanding the sort of money that would buy a proper car, so I guess I'll never scratch the ZT itch. :(

Something might crop up here: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/f ... y.php?f=61

I bought my 75 2.5 KV6 auto tourer off 109landys3 on here two months back and it's just been officially rated MEGACAR 9000.

£700, nice nick, heated leather & all that shiz. MPG is predictably abysmal but then you're only doing 5k a year SO FUGGIT. If you can get one for similar coin just weigh it in if/when the cambelt snaps or the HG shoots its load (though the above site stubbornly insists that both are only significant issues for the 1.8 Ks).

This is still a long way north of a bag of sand, but they ARE getting cheaper. These are damned good engines, same as used in countless mustangs, Ford Crown vic taxis, police cars, mercurys and lincolns stateside.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-ZT-260-SE- ... 27d0215e39

I'm very tempted, but just can't justify spending that much money on a car that will be thirsty, dear to insure and rare enough to have to actually care about and look after.

I'm very tempted, but just can't justify spending that much money on a car that will be thirsty, dear to insure and rare enough to have to actually care about and look after.

Trouble is, at five grand you're starting to run into the problems with it being a Rover 75, IE it's a bit shit and you really wouldn't want to spend more than grand on one. Five large will get you into an E39 M5 or a tidy XJR.

I love those v8 ZT's. I've seen them down around 4k for a half decent one. The e39 M5 would piss all over one in most areas and I'd really love an m5 but I recon these are likely to have less of a chance of going pop as they're so much simpler . If they do all the bits are cheaply available from the US. There's so little of the ZT's out there and it was so close to the end for Rover (and a massive foly) I recon these will go back up in price eventually.

The V8 ZT doesn't quite do it for me. Just looks too much like a normal ZT. The Rover V8 on the other hand looks fabulous, but they're already collectors' items. I have seen 'normal' 75s dressed up with the V8 snout. That should not be allowed. It's like discovering that your Eva Green-alike internet date is actually Ann Widdicombe.