Shite in miniature

MrRegieRitmo

I'd really like to get into this model making lark due to the amount of obscure J-tin on offer, but the amount of stuff you need to buy puts me off a bit.

My collection of tools etc has gradually built up over the 20+ years I've been building them. Also did a fortunate trade with an American recently, where I got a big batch of Tamiya spray paints he couldn't ship back to the US in exchange for a few kits I'd possibly never get round to building.

On the shelf, with one or two more on the way...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Really looking forward to doing this one...

Posted Image

This was only 99p, will end up either with some kind of VIP-lite treatment or deep-dish older alloys.

Posted Image

I can't resist these wheel sets!

Posted Image

If you want a well-proportioned kit that should go together straight out of the box then Tamiya take some beating. They don't have such a barmy range of cars though, and they certainly don't do so many variations. It's insane how many versions Fujimi can crack out of the same cars, Toyota Mark II seems very popular. Also some of the Fujimi kits do use a generic chassis, so watch how the wheels and tyres sit in the arches. They do often have an option for lowering them though, worded in some odd Engrish way.

If I wasn't so lazy (i.e. I like diecast models because all you have to do is display them - I wouldn't trust myself to make a good job of a kit!) I'd fancy that Hiace, BMW 6 & Suzuki Carry kits. Can you post up pictures as & when you complete any of your kits? :) I never even finished a Lancia Delta Bburago kit I bought about 7 years ago. Sure all that was left to put on was the wheels. :roll:

I like the fact that you can put a bit of imagination into them. Regrettably my building speed lags some way behind my thinking. I have a few things at this stage:

Posted Image

Posted Image

There's also a Maserati 3500GT (60's model) with fat Borrani wires and a V8 of some sort which needs very little to do, a '55 Chevy that's a loose Two-Lane Blacktop replica and a Cadillac hearse that was the Ghostbusters ambulance. Sadly it got a crack in the complicated shape windscreen, so it may end up as a banger...

The silver Skyline R30 is more indicative of what I want to be building, but I will try to complete these others too.

Got a few completed ones that need odd bits like mirrors and wipers reattaching before they can come out again.

Regrettably not, though I keep thinking about the farmyard I made for the children last year perhaps making a good diorama for photos. It was all made a bit overscale for 1:32, so should look about right.Maybe some of the older builds which have suffered could be consigned to a bit of overgrown grass somewhere. I’ve seen some junkyard-type models and they’re very impressive, but I think it’s a bit like Les Dawson’s piano playing – you have to learn how to do it properly before you can do it badly in a convincing way…

Excellent stuff SL, that pile seems to have grown a bit in 12 months!I have given up the modelbuilding lark - the last one I did being the Tamiya Prelude XX, about 8 years ago when I owned a real one. I seem to recall enjoying (?) the paint and glue fumes and sticking my fingers together with alarming regularity, but it turned out OK and graces a bookshelf next to the computer.My dad was massively into building aircraft kits - the back wall of the garage and two 8x4 sheds were crammed with kits at one point - but regrettably only had one car kit, the Bandai 1/16th scale Fiat X1/9. Why I don't know. I built it relatively well, but it's probably worth £££ now in an unbuilt state.No diecasts around here apart from a couple of Matchbox 1-75 (Mercs 450SEL and 230SL, and a Mazda RX-7), having said that when I buy a real example of shite I often purchase a model of same if there is one - usually Gama/Schabak for the old German tin - then give it to the new owner.

Wow, that Colt is a "must have" for me.

Yes, as the only collectors model available of that Colt, I've been rubbing my hands ever since I saw it in the catalogue.

Come to think of it I won't live long enough to build all the kits I have either :lol:

Funny that this Colt & kits have come up in the same thread because my only current model of it is......a 1/24 plastic kit made by IMAI bought years ago and guess what?......still not completed. It was going to have lights & everything too!
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

All bought in 2000.

As you can see, I didn't get very far! :oops::roll:

Just out of interest, what scale are Scalectrix models?Will be looking at getting a set for the infant soon - after all he's nearly a year old.When I was a kid, I had a Minic Motorway which, IIRC, was the same scale as the Triang-Hornby train set I had (OO guage) What is the actual OO scale, and does anyone manufacture model cars in this size today?

Just out of interest, what scale are Scalectrix models?Will be looking at getting a set for the infant soon - after all he's nearly a year old.When I was a kid, I had a Minic Motorway which, IIRC, was the same scale as the Triang-Hornby train set I had (OO guage) What is the actual OO scale, and does anyone manufacture model cars in this size today?

I'm not sure about Scalextric models they look about 1/36 maybe slightly bigger. TBH I've never been into them, I like diecast too much.OO scale roughly equates to 1/76 so just search eBay for 1/76 & see what models come up.These days quite a few manufacturers support 1/76 & there are lots of models available in it, not just the countless buses!Lledo Trackside have a good range & so do Oxford Diecast now, if it's British stuff you like.

If there's a TK maxx nearby, get down there pronto! Two that I have been in round here had a number of French cars from that IXO/Altaya magazine series as well as some from the Maserati series. And best of all they were ony £3.99 each! I picked up a Simca 1000 and 1100, Peugeot 203 and 504, Citroen 15 and Renault 8 8)

Here's a small selection from my pointless hoard of plastic...

This one, I am really looking forward to making because it looks pretty tricky. Swivelling, folding seats, sliding side door and sunroof and opening rear door. Yea! lots to wrong...

Posted Image

A coupe of 430 Cedrics. A saloon and a hardtop. The saloon kit is beatiful, as it seems are most old Otaki kits...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Another favorite is this Mini. Nice to find a Mini kit that's not a Mk1! Fujimi did a whole series of Mini special editions including the Jet Black, Red Hot, Rose, Sky etc etc

Posted Image

One for Mr. Bickle here... a 411 Bluebird. Very basic kit with vacuum formed windows and very poor chromework but there's not many kits of these so can't be too choosy..

Posted Image

Nice Sunny coupe kit which doesn't quite live up to the picture on the box as it's not terribly accurate. I'm sure it'll still look fine when built though...

Posted Image

Now a real treat... the shitest kits I own and quite possibly the shitest kits ever made....

Posted Image

Posted Image

And lastly... one I'm saving up for when I have nothing better to do for about 6 months as that's about how long it'll take! Yes, this is 1/24 scale and it's a monster!

Posted Image

I've got stacks of old Monogram and Revell kits (rememer the Hot Rod magazine series they did?) too. I used to build lots of Monogram, MPC and AMT kits when I was in my teens and fond memories of certain kits made be purchase fresh, unmolested ones not so long ago. I guess it'll keep me busy when I'm too old to do anymore spannering (or I've gone mad and been sectioned)

Eddie - the little chap in your avatar - tell me those aren't his unfeasibly large testicles he's casually slung over his shoulder and is nuzzling into - please!

Posted Image

Now you come to mention it...it could be!

No...he's a bunny and those are his ears.. honest :wink:

I like this thread, used to build a lot of kits to, mainly 1/24 trucks from Italeri, Revell, Amt and the like. Also a bit of scratchbuilding thrown in too, mainly wagon trailers and bodywork.That Fuso transporter is pretty cool. Revell used to a do a Peterbilt car transporter set up in 1/24. Big model.Which is why most of my truck stuff is boxed in the loft as I don't have space to display it.......

That Fuso transporter! There was one on eBay not so long back, starting price £50. I was very tempted, in the end it went for £58 – probably not a bad price really, but more than I could afford/justify with various 1:1 car expenses.Ed, do you know if there are many other Japanese truck/van kits? US/European stuff seems well-served, can’t believe there aren’t some out there. HLJ don’t seem to do a separate list for commercials. The only two I’ve got are that barmy Suzuki Carry and the Hiace, which has loads of accessories including a model plane!Hyundais are fantastic. Crazy box art on the Stellar one.Threads like this always end up with me buying even more stuff…

Nice PL Eddie -not seen one of those before. Moomin is just coming out of store cos its MOT is due ,good exercise to loosen it up -and rehibernate before the ice. I'll try and get all 3 early Datties together for a photo....

Please don't, it'll kill me.

Eddie - the little chap in your avatar - tell me those aren't his unfeasibly large testicles he's casually slung over his shoulder and is nuzzling into - please!

Posted Image

Now you come to mention it...it could be!

No...he's a bunny and those are his ears.. honest :wink:

Sorry, but any possible chance of me seeing those as ears has now evaporated for ever! :shock:

Anybody know of any decent larger scale (1/24 upwards) kits of Euro shite?I've got some very naff Italian made kits in 1/48 by CCGC or something like that, there's an R14, a Ritmo, a Dyane, a CX & I think some others.I've got a much better looking kit by Heller I think of an R30 in 1/43.I'm interested to know if there are big scale kits available of European cars like your ranges of Asian stuff?