Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Tales of a breakdown driver (modern content)

• Please log in to reply
1133 replies to this topic

#1111 OFFLINE   Barry Cade.

Barry Cade.

• Full Members
  • 3,114 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • LocationWear the fox hat

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:45 PM

Lol, I had the same with a golf tsi, thought it was flooded and turned out tensioner had gone..
  • Joey spud and 0ldCh0d like this

2001 Polo 1.0
2004 Fiat Panda Eleganza

2003 Mercedes Vito camper

#1112 OFFLINE   Joey spud

Joey spud

• Full Members
  • 757 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationNorth Kent

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:57 PM

Those Tsi ones can sound scarey when first started.

When we first had the VW contract we were told not to make any adverse comments about the Tsi engine rattle to their owners.

• Barry Cade., richardthestag, Banger Kenny and 3 others like this

#1113 OFFLINE   mrbenn

mrbenn

• Full Members
  • 692 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:22 PM

Neighbour's Jazz flooded recently when started briefly to get the bins out, responded well to foot flat while cranking. Advised neighbour to take it round the block if she needed to move it in future.

Another neigbour brought his back his son's BMW from Scarborough, about 130 mile trip. Insisted on starting it over the next couple of days and running it for a minute to "check it was ok". Of course, it flooded and was a bit of a swine to get going. Look of disbelief on his face when I should he shouldn't run an engine for such a short time was a picture. Clearly didn't believe me, and proceeded to flood it again a couple of days later.

#1114 OFFLINE   richardthestag

richardthestag

• Full Members
  • 2,201 posts
  • 6 thanks
  • LocationBuckinghamshite and Devonshite

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:28 PM

The reason the engine then cuts out is because the crank sensor is low down on the back of the block by the bottom pulley and as the belt flings off under the car it pulls the plug off the sensor.

Easy to plug back in when you know about it but a sod to find it the first time it happens.

exactly what happened to Mrs thestags c4 gp on the m40 south m25 exit

seconds to fix when I wasnt in the firing line of all manner of lunatics late exit and late stay on m40.

Had to be recovered to safely fix it. then hydraulics failed on the recovery vehicle, so unloaded hapless c4 and fixed hydraulics before getting back to square one

Shitroen C4 GP 2007 1.6HDi - Wife's daily

Pug 307 - son's daily runner

Range Rover Vogue 1993 - my daily runner

Daewoo Matiz 2002 - Sold

Jaguar x308 Sovereign 4 litre - nicked by Fathathestag might be up 4sayle soon

Triumph Staaag 1973 - cheaper than a mistress.. just

Range Rover 1972 - ongoing extensive restoration

Range Rover 1972 - complete shed but in line for restoration

Land Rover SIIa SWB - belongs to Fathathestag but maintained and welded by me

BMW E46 318i touring - sold to hhhugues

#1115 OFFLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 4,525 posts
  • 21 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:31 PM

The claim that fully pressing down the pedal will turn the pump off is something i hear from time to time and not sure if its true or not,but pedal mashed into the carpet has never worked for me on these.
They were mardy so and so's when new never mind when the starter motor/battery are weak or the engines compression has dropped away and the plugs are worn or injectors gummed up.

It may clear some fuel out but being bi rotary and not multi pistoned i have always struggled to get these to restart after their owners have churned them over until the battery is near flat and unleaded is dripping from the tail pipe.

Ideally removal of the spark plugs and drying them with a blow torch or better still fitting new ones is the way to go but access to the four plugs is a bitch.

The Mazda dealer down here in Crayford would get the flooded ones going by putting their back wheels into the mot brake rollers to ''bump start'' them rather than be seen tow starting them down the high street.

Overfueled vehicles are a biggy for us,many get started for just a few seconds to be moved away from the garage to get the mower/kids bikes out or to shift to a parking spot nearer the house then monday morning they don't fire first go and flood up.

Just to check my sanity, I did double-check the manual:
rx8_floodclear.png

It got to have worked, otherwise my RX8 would have flooded even worse! :D

It also works on the mk3 MX5 - but it definitely does not work on my Smart Roadster or Laguna II. So I guess its a manufacturer specific thing.
Current Fleet:
1974 MGB GT - A stereotypical classic car.
2007 Honda Civic EX CTDi - The reliable runner that is like the family pet.
2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying

My history: 2003 Clio II 1.2 16v (First car), 2003 Honda Civic 3dr 1.7 CTDi (Isuzu lump), 1992 Mazda MX5 1.6, 2005 Mazda RX8 192bhp, 2005 Saab 9-3 1.9TiD 150bhp, 2007 Honda Civic 2.2 CTDi, 2004 Renault Scenic 1.6 Auto (Now Kiltox FiL), 2004 Saab 9-5 2.3t (Now Hooli), 2004 Smart Roadster 80bhp
Wife history (that she used/owned but I had frequent use of): 2002 Renault Clio II 1.2 16v (Billabong!), 2006 Mazda MX5 1.8, 2004 VW Golf 1.6 FSI, 2005 Renault Scenic II 2.0 (went bad from the drive back when buying it!), 2002 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 16v (now phil_lihp ex-colleague), 2005 Renault Laguna II v6 (Now angle)

#1116 OFFLINE   Joey spud

Joey spud

• Full Members
  • 757 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationNorth Kent

Posted 24 May 2017 - 02:36 PM

I see what you mean but it doesn't say it cuts the fuel pump though,is it not just a case of having the throttle wide open lets more oxygen in to dilute the dense fuel mix already in the engine?

Most times flooded piston engines will restart with the throttle pedal held down and cranked over untill they pick up.

The next flooded RX8 i go to i will pull the pump fuse and measure the current draw with foot off and foot right down on the pedal (while cranking) to see what results i get.

• Barry Cade., SiC and Hooli like this

#1117 ONLINE   twosmoke300

twosmoke300

• Full Members
  • 7,581 posts
  • 20 thanks
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 24 May 2017 - 02:51 PM

Unless its raining  :-D

• scruff and Joey spud like this

Skoda Octavia 1.9tdi - the boring modern 

Fiat Ducato 2009 l3h2

Honda Crf250X

Suzuki TS50x

Kawasaki Ke175d

Prilla Pigsasshole 650

Saxo 1.5D

Land Rover 90 2.5 petrol

Honda CB250N super wet dream

#1118 ONLINE   Kiltox

Kiltox

• Full Members
  • 3,809 posts
  • 17 thanks

Posted 24 May 2017 - 03:35 PM

My Duster struggled to restart after I stalled it in traffic the other day - assume it was a similar issue!
2017 17 Dacia Duster 1.6 Access
1997 R Rover 216 Cabriolet

#1119 OFFLINE   Hendry

Hendry

Hendry

• Full Members
  • 2,160 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • LocationGlasgow-ish

Posted 24 May 2017 - 04:31 PM

My Duster struggled to restart after I stalled it in traffic the other day - assume it was a similar issue!

Same happened with my Jetta diesel the other day, only i stalled it again in a fluster to get moving after doing it the first time, thought the bugger had had an FTP and that split second panic "oh fuck" moment happened.

However ive done the, start up, move it 20 yards, switch it off, and then a few mins later tried to restart it and it always started fine every time, i really didnt realise this caused flooding, I thought that was just when turning the key in the ignition for too long or cranking it over too long with something else preventing the car from starting, so when you solved the other fail to start issue it still wouldnt start because flooded. 

Do the AA/RAC not carry any parts now for home or roadside fixes? Used to do it regularly years ago, now they come out and have a token look, say it cant be fixed and needs a garage or a tow home, only thing they carry is batteries to try and flog you. When my aux belt snapped the AA guy (who i actually worked with at Citroen dealer when he was a mechanic there) said belts snapped where you wanting me to drop it, didnt investigated any further. The AA also charged my dad £120 to come out 1 night even though he was a member because they deemed it an RTA, he had hit a huge pot hole hidden by a puddle and blew out both O/S tyres, thats it! Not been impressed since so much so I didnt renew my cover when it expired.

Also because having AA Vauxhall Assistance on my brand new Corsa, when it ended after the 12months from new, Vauxhall subsidised the cost of renewal by 75% meaning you got the full works for £55 instead of £220, they wanted to charge me £220 again and wouldnt reduce the price when I could get it much cheaper from RAC/Green Flag so the AA can now FRO!

Previous Car History:

97 R Vauxhall Astra 1.6 LS

02 51 Peugeot 206 1.4 LX

04 04 Renault Clio 1.2 Dynamique

98 S Hyundai Accent 1.3 Si Coupe

05 55 Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 SXi

02 52 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 Comfort

97 P Volkswagen Golf 1.4 SE

05 05 Vauxhall Astra 1.8 Design

09 59 Renault Clio 1.2 Dynamique

15 15 Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 SRi

09 09 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 CR TDi Sport 140bhp (Current)

#1120 OFFLINE   somewhatfoolish

somewhatfoolish

• Full Members
  • 685 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • LocationArgyll&Buteshire

Posted 24 May 2017 - 04:35 PM

I was getting a lot of those too- mostly people with garages or garden gates- they'd take the car out,switch it off to shut dorrs or gates,then kill the battery trying to start it again. Trying to explain that you can flood a modern vehicle was sometimes challenging. VW's seemed especially prone to it.

Old man Foolish had a W202 C180 and it did this; if you stopped the engine in the warm-up cycle it was a bastard to restart, requiring foot down and mucho starter motor abuse to get it to start again, usually coming in one cylinder at a time and sounding like a 80-a-day smoker before eventually firing on all 4.
  • Joey spud likes this

#1121 OFFLINE   DodgeRover

DodgeRover

• Full Members
  • 2,595 posts
  • 28 thanks

Posted 24 May 2017 - 05:02 PM

Not a problem if you start on lpg fortunately for me as I seem to be doing car shuffling every morning!

#1122 OFFLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 4,525 posts
  • 21 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 24 May 2017 - 06:39 PM

I see what you mean but it doesn't say it cuts the fuel pump though,is it not just a case of having the throttle wide open lets more oxygen in to dilute the dense fuel mix already in the engine?

Most times flooded piston engines will restart with the throttle pedal held down and cranked over untill they pick up.

The next flooded RX8 i go to i will pull the pump fuse and measure the current draw with foot off and foot right down on the pedal (while cranking) to see what results i get.

True, maybe because if they mentioned fuel pump it'd confuse people?

I know if I try starting, say the Laguna, at full throttle, it'll start and race the engine. While when I tried it on the RX8 and MX5, it just turned over and over until you released the pedal a smidgen (i.e. off max) it'll then fire into life.
Current Fleet:
1974 MGB GT - A stereotypical classic car.
2007 Honda Civic EX CTDi - The reliable runner that is like the family pet.
2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying

My history: 2003 Clio II 1.2 16v (First car), 2003 Honda Civic 3dr 1.7 CTDi (Isuzu lump), 1992 Mazda MX5 1.6, 2005 Mazda RX8 192bhp, 2005 Saab 9-3 1.9TiD 150bhp, 2007 Honda Civic 2.2 CTDi, 2004 Renault Scenic 1.6 Auto (Now Kiltox FiL), 2004 Saab 9-5 2.3t (Now Hooli), 2004 Smart Roadster 80bhp
Wife history (that she used/owned but I had frequent use of): 2002 Renault Clio II 1.2 16v (Billabong!), 2006 Mazda MX5 1.8, 2004 VW Golf 1.6 FSI, 2005 Renault Scenic II 2.0 (went bad from the drive back when buying it!), 2002 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 16v (now phil_lihp ex-colleague), 2005 Renault Laguna II v6 (Now angle)

#1123 OFFLINE   wuvvum

wuvvum

• Full Members
  • 10,052 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 24 May 2017 - 06:48 PM

Not a problem if you start on lpg fortunately for me as I seem to be doing car shuffling every morning!

Although my CX will flood itself up if you leave the ignition switched on for too long without starting the engine.  If I need to piss about with anything that needs the ignition on I always switch it over to petrol.

#1124 OFFLINE   DodgeRover

DodgeRover

• Full Members
  • 2,595 posts
  • 28 thanks

Posted 24 May 2017 - 07:27 PM

Although my CX will flood itself up if you leave the ignition switched on for too long without starting the engine. If I need to piss about with anything that needs the ignition on I always switch it over to petrol.

Really? Hasn't it got a safety to cut the gas if the engine isn't running within xx seconds?

#1125 ONLINE   twosmoke300

twosmoke300

• Full Members
  • 7,581 posts
  • 20 thanks
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 24 May 2017 - 07:40 PM

Sounds like someone has replaced the fancy original fuel pump relay with a standard one to hide another ( possible crank sensor ) issue

Skoda Octavia 1.9tdi - the boring modern 

Fiat Ducato 2009 l3h2

Honda Crf250X

Suzuki TS50x

Kawasaki Ke175d

Prilla Pigsasshole 650

Saxo 1.5D

Land Rover 90 2.5 petrol

Honda CB250N super wet dream

#1126 ONLINE   Lacquer Peel

Lacquer Peel

• Full Members
  • 8,315 posts
  • 10 thanks

Posted 24 May 2017 - 07:46 PM

Do the AA/RAC not carry any parts now for home or roadside fixes?

They'd need a fugging fleet of warehouses.

#1127 OFFLINE   cobblers

cobblers

¤ºTOPº¤ø,¸¸,ø¤ºEBAYERº¤ø,¸¸,ø¤ºMANYº¤ø,¸¸,ø¤ºTHANKSº¤ø,¸¸,ø¤ºA+º

• Full Members
  • 3,220 posts
  • 22 thanks

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:33 PM

if they did carry them they would charge a fortune - They charged me something like £95 for a £20 coilpack when I bought that Toledo of bollox that time.

#1128 OFFLINE   IainL

IainL

• Full Members
  • 6,371 posts
  • 11 thanks
  • LocationBonnybridge

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:46 PM

Encouraging re the flooding thing of modern cars which I though wasn't possible. The apprentice was reversing my Megane out of the workshop for me and stalled it right at the entrance. After pushing it back inside the by now slightly grumpy Foreman got in and it just cranked over but wouldn't fire. I though that the crank sensor was away again but it eventually fired up, spluttered and then settled down.

2017 Dacia Duster 1.6 Ambience

2000 Corsa B: Broken

2003 Astra Coupe

2001 Renault Megane MK1

Click here for model car reviews and fleet updates: https://www.youtube....KdUmtnq5VNMSnJg

#1129 OFFLINE   wuvvum

wuvvum

• Full Members
  • 10,052 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:58 PM

Really? Hasn't it got a safety to cut the gas if the engine isn't running within xx seconds?

Nope.  It ain't that sophistimacated.

#1130 OFFLINE   DodgeRover

DodgeRover

• Full Members
  • 2,595 posts
  • 28 thanks

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:30 PM

Yikes, I've seen cars with conversions done in the 80s and even they have that, it's pretty simple to fit one and worth it in case you ever have a situation (crash) where the engine stops but you aren't able to turn the key off it will shut off the gas rather than letting it flow.

#1131 OFFLINE   wuvvum

wuvvum

• Full Members
  • 10,052 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:26 AM

Maybe it had one originally but it doesn't work any more.  The fuel switch has three positions - petrol, gas and off - but I've never heard the gas solenoid click off unless I've flicked the switch.  Don't know quite how you'd set up a system to tell it the engine's running though - there's probably a way of doing it, but it's something that would be a lot easier to set up on an EFI setup than on the CX's carb'd engine.

#1132 OFFLINE   colnerov

colnerov

• Full Members
  • 498 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationNr Gatwick

Posted 25 May 2017 - 11:18 AM

You could use the oil pressure switch, just like the SD1 used to.

#1133 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 5,193 posts
  • 30 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 25 May 2017 - 11:44 AM

Alternator charge light would be better. No seconds of churning if it takes a moment to build oil pressure & instant fuel cut off when you turn the key off.

#1134 OFFLINE   DodgeRover

DodgeRover

• Full Members
  • 2,595 posts
  • 28 thanks

Posted 25 May 2017 - 11:59 AM

Usually a couple of loop of wire round the king lead detecting if sparks are being produced or just connected to the coil.
Priming time is adjustable number if seconds of gas to make starting easier.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users