Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Tales of a breakdown driver (modern content)

• Please log in to reply
1133 replies to this topic

#1051 OFFLINE   adw1977

adw1977

• Full Members
  • 508 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • LocationSurrey

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:46 PM

Ow! Ow! Ow!
  • Barry Cade., Banger Kenny, The Moog and 6 others like this

#1052 OFFLINE   Craig the Princess

Craig the Princess

• Full Members
  • 3,411 posts
  • 5 thanks

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:51 PM

That just looks plain nasty. Good luck with surgery/recovery.
  • Barry Cade., Banger Kenny, WilsonWilson and 2 others like this

Filtered through the Heather!

#1053 OFFLINE   Barry Cade.

Barry Cade.

• Full Members
  • 3,202 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • LocationWear the fox hat

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:38 PM

In other news, I've just sent off my resignation.. I have just been offered a new job as a caravan and motorhome technician.. 35 hours a week- That'll feel like part time! Been a mad day, Started off with a dead DB9, the mrs Cade had a blowout in the Panda, I was in an Aston Martin dealership being offered a seat and a cup of coffee, then an afternoon in A+E, followed by a job offer..

You never know what tomorrow will bring.....

• chaseracer, garethj, cort16 and 28 others like this

2001 Polo 1.0
2004 Fiat Panda Eleganza

2003 Mercedes Vito camper

#1054 OFFLINE   Hendry

Hendry

Hendry

• Full Members
  • 2,273 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • LocationGlasgow-ish

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:07 AM

How on earth did you manage to do yourself damage like that? Looks horrific!!

Sounds like the job offer is just what you need, from reading your posts on here your body clock and work/life balance must be utterly fucked!!
  • Barry Cade., Banger Kenny and AMC Rebel like this

Previous Car History:

97 R Vauxhall Astra 1.6 LS

02 51 Peugeot 206 1.4 LX

04 04 Renault Clio 1.2 Dynamique

98 S Hyundai Accent 1.3 Si Coupe

05 55 Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 SXi

02 52 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 Comfort

97 P Volkswagen Golf 1.4 SE

05 05 Vauxhall Astra 1.8 Design

09 59 Renault Clio 1.2 Dynamique

15 15 Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 SRi

09 09 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 CR TDi Sport 140bhp (Current)

#1055 OFFLINE   Barry Cade.

Barry Cade.

• Full Members
  • 3,202 posts
  • 7 thanks

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:27 AM

OK, twas my own stupid fault.. DB9.. no electrics at all. electronic handbrake on, steering lock on and in park... offloading off slide bed and rear wheels on plastic skates to get it to slide off. Slid halfway down and stopped. I gave a little tug on the wheel and it slid again, sucking my hand round in between inside of wheel and caliper, so my finger was holding nearly 2 tons of car.. luckily I still had the winch cable on it so had to winch in again to get hand free, otherwise it'd have been a hell of a lot worse!

8d2674fe1c0034a8a4a0409a1b43c5d4.jpg

Nearly as bad as checking the rear wheel bearings on a Metro and forgetting about the subframe mount... you do that once...

• Banger Kenny, Joey spud, RayMK and 2 others like this

2001 Polo 1.0
2004 Fiat Panda Eleganza

#1056 OFFLINE   dave21478

dave21478

• Full Members
  • 3,184 posts
  • 14 thanks
  • LocationFrance

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:12 AM

Well done on the job.

I did several years as a caravan and motorhome tech too....I enjoyed it. I left about 12 years ago, and I gather since then things have advanced quite rapidly regarding new body construction techniques with more composite materials and bonded joins rather than ally sheet and self tappers. Always plenty of work re-sealing leaky old Elddis and the like, though!

Its a bit of everything....mains electric, low voltage stuff, plumbing, gas fitting, joinery, bodywork, mechanical stuff....

• Barry Cade. and spike60 like this

#1057 OFFLINE   Hendry

Hendry

Hendry

• Full Members
  • 2,273 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • LocationGlasgow-ish

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:37 PM

Or it'll be replacing clutches on Fiat Ducato motor homes and the Hymer ones I think based on the Fiats. The amount of them we used to get in for clutches on the back of recovery flatbeds when I worked at Arnold Clark Fiat was astronomical!!
  • Barry Cade. and Lord Sward like this

Previous Car History:

97 R Vauxhall Astra 1.6 LS

02 51 Peugeot 206 1.4 LX

04 04 Renault Clio 1.2 Dynamique

98 S Hyundai Accent 1.3 Si Coupe

05 55 Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 SXi

02 52 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 Comfort

97 P Volkswagen Golf 1.4 SE

05 05 Vauxhall Astra 1.8 Design

09 59 Renault Clio 1.2 Dynamique

15 15 Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 SRi

09 09 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 CR TDi Sport 140bhp (Current)

#1058 OFFLINE   Pillock

Pillock

It's true.

• Full Members
  • 14,344 posts
  • 34 thanks
  • LocationMassive Wang.

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:54 PM

I hope your CV for the Motorhome tech job was just a picture of your Vito.....

Good work though, as much as I'll miss your tales from the hard shoulder it sounds like you deserve a bit of an easier life.

• Barry Cade. and AMC Rebel like this

#1059 OFFLINE   Joey spud

Joey spud

• Full Members
  • 773 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationNorth Kent

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:35 PM

Yes i have done the Metro tyre and subframe digit interface while doing MOTs

Another favourite was reaching behind a Cavalier,Astra,Corsa back wheel and stabbing your fingers with a rusty and frayed strands of handbrake cable.

I must update here later,i have a couple of bits that shouldn't upset my employer / customers if i post them.

• Barry Cade., Banger Kenny, Sheefag and 2 others like this

#1060 OFFLINE   taxi paul

taxi paul

• Full Members
  • 864 posts
  • 9 thanks

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:33 PM

Good luck with the job. Nothing like being in your own bed of a night. Also being able to plan a few things without worrying about a phone call.
  • Barry Cade. and Bobthebeard like this

#1061 OFFLINE   shumarialto

shumarialto

• Full Members
  • 4,661 posts
  • 11 thanks
  • LocationNear Edinburgh

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:51 PM

Good news on the job, bad news on the hand. Now, i need the following done on the Adria....................

• Barry Cade. likes this

#1062 ONLINE   cobblers

cobblers

• Full Members
  • 3,333 posts
  • 25 thanks

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:05 PM

Aaah, the world of insulated crimp connectors, cheap relays and microswitches, knackered leisure batteries and ropey chargers. At least they're not oily! If my current job fell on it's arse then I would probably look at going into caravan/motorhome electronics too.

• Barry Cade., dave21478 and AMC Rebel like this

#1063 OFFLINE   Barry Cade.

Barry Cade.

• Full Members
  • 3,202 posts
  • 7 thanks

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:01 PM

caravans seem to have come a long way in the past few years, things might get better now the Swift group have been taken over by Hymer.. Another Great British industry ruled by the Krauts though..

2001 Polo 1.0
2004 Fiat Panda Eleganza

#1064 ONLINE   cobblers

cobblers

• Full Members
  • 3,333 posts
  • 25 thanks

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:07 PM

The ones I've worked on were still rubbish electrics wise, but the newest I've touched is about 5 years old eg 15A micro PCB mount relays to charge the leisure battery etc, laughable really and a surprise it lasted as long as it did!

Anyway best of luck and I hope you keep a thread updated!

• Barry Cade. and AMC Rebel like this

#1065 OFFLINE   Isaac Hunt

Isaac Hunt

• Full Members
  • 241 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:15 PM

I very briefly did the same thing on an old Midget once and got a wisp of smoke from the alternator and a funny smell but normal service resumed.

That was Lucas, The Prince Of Darkness, issuing you a warning sign

#1066 OFFLINE   Lord Sward

Lord Sward

• Full Members
  • 1,702 posts
  • 7 thanks

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:03 PM

caravans seem to have come a long way in the past few years, things might get better now the Swift group have been taken over by Hymer.. Another Great British industry ruled by the Krauts though..

Its actually Elddis thats been taken over.  But I wouldn't worry about the quality improving anytime soon.

#1067 OFFLINE   Barry Cade.

Barry Cade.

• Full Members
  • 3,202 posts
  • 7 thanks

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:21 PM

oops, yeah explorer group, not swift group!

2001 Polo 1.0
2004 Fiat Panda Eleganza

#1068 OFFLINE   Lord Sward

Lord Sward

• Full Members
  • 1,702 posts
  • 7 thanks

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:05 PM

I think theres a huge gap in the market for competent mobile leisure technicians.  Is that the term? My mate has had a service carried out on his caravan and the brakes have failed for the 4th time since the service. The fitter is now nowhere to be seen.

• Barry Cade. likes this

#1069 OFFLINE   DodgeRover

DodgeRover

• Full Members
  • 3,157 posts
  • 35 thanks

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:12 PM

How can you go wrong with overrun brakes? If you can't sort those you really shouldn't be playing with them.....

PS I would like a Vickers or even a Buccaneer caravan should you happen to trip over one in your new role...

#1070 OFFLINE   Barry Cade.

Barry Cade.

• Full Members
  • 3,202 posts
  • 7 thanks

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:37 PM

How can you go wrong with overrun brakes? If you can't sort those you really shouldn't be playing with them.....

PS I would like a Vickers or even a Buccaneer caravan should you happen to trip over one in your new role...

All electronic with stability control now..

• shumarialto likes this

2001 Polo 1.0
2004 Fiat Panda Eleganza

#1071 OFFLINE   Lord Sward

Lord Sward

• Full Members
  • 1,702 posts
  • 7 thanks

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:43 AM

He's got a wide bodied pikey caravan, so no ESC systems.  The fitter has broken the shoes and all sorts during the route servicing to an otherwise perfect, new-ish 'van.  He had a bit of a shock when he tried to slow down 2 tonnes with no brakes.

#1072 OFFLINE   drum

drum

• Full Members
  • 2,171 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationKirriemuir

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:18 AM

I can feel that sore finger from here.

Is your new job in Fife still Barry?
'68 land rover 109 3.3 perkins
'71 land rover tacr1 x2
'73 puch maxi 0.05
'79 Brown allegro 1.1
'93 Maestro 1.3
'01 omega 2.6
'02 transit van 2.4

#1073 OFFLINE   shumarialto

shumarialto

• Full Members
  • 4,661 posts
  • 11 thanks
  • LocationNear Edinburgh

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:36 AM

All electronic with stability control now..

Chap i bought my 87 Adria from said it has a Rubey Owen axle and brake, parts now seem obsolete.

#1074 OFFLINE   Barry Cade.

Barry Cade.

• Full Members
  • 3,202 posts
  • 7 thanks

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:49 PM

Yup, still Fife. finger operated on today, general anasthetic so was oot..tendons damaged.. massive bandage so no fixing stuff for me for a bit. tin of Fergie grey paint came in the post today for the Vito, and couldn't wait to check the shade when I got home...now 1 hand looks like a mummy, other looks like a vintage tractor. FFS.

• scruff, WilsonWilson, dome and 3 others like this

2001 Polo 1.0
2004 Fiat Panda Eleganza

#1075 OFFLINE   Joey spud

Joey spud

• Full Members
  • 773 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationNorth Kent

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:37 PM

Right time to add some fresh roadside ramblings i guess.

0c164240-5811-4145-bc31-7e8fffd340fc_zps

This chap had an old GM type 900 that was grotty and short on mot but found this tidy 9-3 at a dealer in the midlands so drove the 900 up there to be scrapped and bought this one back home.

He said all was well for the first 80 of his 140 return miles but then he noticed the oil light flicker so he pulled into the services and checked the oil which was just a bit low so added some more left it for 30 mins then restarted and the oil light stayed off.

Off he went and all seemed dandy but after only 20 miles the light came on again and this time he thought he also heard a slight tapping noise,the oil was fine and again leaving it for half an hour seemed to restore the oil pressure so off he went again but only got five miles and just over the Dartford crossing before the tapping restarted and oil light came on for the third time.

This time he called for assistance and while he waited for me he hit google and was getting his head around Saab sludge problems.

I dipped the oil which was too high up the stick but didn't try to start it (as people that seem nice enough at the time later call in to customer care claiming things like your patrol started the engine and broke it,where's my compo) i just put it on the trailer and dropped it at his garage to see if they could lower the sump and see if he had knocked a big end bearing out or maybe if he was lucky de-sludge it and fit the modded breather kit to it.

Shame as it looked a tidy example in the dark.

20170126_115209_zpsx4ewfj6m.jpg

Had 55 plated Clio stop on the M20 the other morning the spotty youth with it said he knew about cars and the battery was flat because it wouldn't crank over.

Unluckily for my young budding mechanic his Clio didn't crank over any more because he had neglected to check his oil level and it was now seized solid and had a nice hole in the block where a con rod had made a break for freedom.

Another motorway job the other weekend was a 54 plate MG ZR with a loss of power.

The young girl with it had just bought it from a trader in Portsmouth a couple of days previous and was heading to Uni in Hertfordshire when it got really slow and reluctant to go up hills.

Obviously as it's K series you think overheating and headgasket but that was fine also the clutch seemed good,it revved ok as well.

But there was no mil light coming up on the dash when you first put the ignition on which was odd so i plugged my lap top in and did a quick scan for any loss of power relevent fault codes.

Only two codes were stored one was for oxygen sensor no signal output and another was for engine management mil lamp circuit open cicuit so thats why the lamp wasn't on.

If the oxy sensor wasn't working that would explain the loss of power so i had a look at the sensor and noticed its lead was unplugged from the wiring loom and dropped down below a coolant pipe.

After plugging it back in i looked at live data and could see the sensor was now switching fine (0.1v to 0.7v every couple of seconds) so i got her back in the car and followed her for a few miles and told her if it was ok now to carry on if not i would meet her at the next services.

All must of been good as that was the last i saw of the ZR.

I thought later maybe the lack of functioning mil lamp was down to the bulb having been removed.

• Barry Cade., cort16, scruff and 15 others like this

#1076 ONLINE   cort16

cort16

3.5 tonnes maximum

• Full Members
  • 18,076 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationScotland

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:17 PM

It doesn't say much for the UK motor trade does it? Dodgy bastards.

• gordonbennet and AMC Rebel like this

I estimate this car needs £3000 maybe £4000 spending on it to get it rite and when this is done it will be wotrth about £1500!!

#1077 OFFLINE   Joey spud

Joey spud

• Full Members
  • 773 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationNorth Kent

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:19 PM

Had a Nissan 370Z job at a big shopping complex with a suspected cooling problem,i rang the guy who said the oil temp gauge suddenly went off the scale and put the mil lamp on so he stopped and topped the oil up and went again but the gauge went back past max and now there was smoke coming from the engine...

So first things first i dipped the engine oil and it was about an inch above the maximum mark,i asked the chap how much oil had he put in it and he produced from the back of the car a now half empty 4 litre can and said he may of spilt some topping it up.

I couldn't safely restart it with that much oil in the sump so decided to drop the plastic undertray and drain the excess out.

This was a bitch of a task as i don't think the undertray had been off before and all the fixing bolts fought like bastards to come undone,i think the oil must of been sucked out via the dip stick tube all its life as the drain plug was 'kin tight too.

While i was under the engine i could see where fresh oil had been spilt down the n/s exhaust manifold while it was being topped up that'll be the smoke from the engine then and gave it a quick clean up with a can of brake cleaner.

Once the oil was back at a sensible level i scanned it for fault codes and there was only one stored which related to excess oil temp recorded,i cleared this and restarted the engine and all was fine for a couple of mins before the oil temp gauge pinged across to max and the mil lamp came back on.

Obviously it had to be a sensor or loom fault (i bet renault made this bit) but the car was definitely not overheating and briefly running with excess oil seemed to have done no harm either.

He went for a quick test drive and although the mil lamp was on the car had no noticable loss of power so he was ok to make his own way to the dealer.

• Barry Cade., scruff, Banger Kenny and 7 others like this

#1078 OFFLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 5,121 posts
  • 31 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:00 PM

That age Clio will have an oil level sensor. So either it broke (probably tbh), or it was flashing oil low and was ignored.

I'm surprised you don't have an Pela Pod oil sucker on board for when people decide to put too much oil in.
Current Fleet:
1974 MGB GT - A stereotypical classic car.
2007 Honda Civic EX CTDi - The reliable runner that is like the family pet.
2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying

My history: 2003 Clio II 1.2 16v (First car), 2003 Honda Civic 3dr 1.7 CTDi (Isuzu lump), 1992 Mazda MX5 1.6, 2005 Mazda RX8 192bhp, 2005 Saab 9-3 1.9TiD 150bhp, 2007 Honda Civic 2.2 CTDi, 2004 Renault Scenic 1.6 Auto (Now Kiltox FiL), 2004 Saab 9-5 2.3t (Now Hooli), 2004 Smart Roadster 80bhp
Wife history (that she used/owned but I had frequent use of): 2002 Renault Clio II 1.2 16v (Billabong!), 2006 Mazda MX5 1.8, 2004 VW Golf 1.6 FSI, 2005 Renault Scenic II 2.0 (went bad from the drive back when buying it!), 2002 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 16v (now phil_lihp ex-colleague), 2005 Renault Laguna II v6 (Now angle)

#1079 OFFLINE   LessThanEqual

LessThanEqual

• Full Members
  • 368 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationLincolnshire

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:02 PM

How can you own a 370z and not know how to read a dipstick?
'10 Mazda 2 Sport 1.5 @ 116k

#1080 OFFLINE   Joey spud

Joey spud

• Full Members
  • 773 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationNorth Kent

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:19 PM

20170406_211950_zps4jc4fgqj.jpg

20170406_211939_zpseay3882b.jpg

I get to work on a few London Taxis in this part of town and the owner of this one rang in complaining that it was wandering all over place as if the back end was loose.

And to be fair he wasn't far wrong the fixing bolt that secured the panhard rod to the back axle had sheared off allowing the axle to wander about left and right,it had marks on the outter side wall of the tyres where they had rubbed on the wheel arches.

The Driver of the Cab said he had spent close on a grand having a replacement axle fitted about 10k miles back and it really didn't feel right on the A20 coming out of London so he rang his mechanic who said ''that'll be the road surface,you guys always complain about the A20''.

Then it started randomly clanging from the rear so he limped home and called me out.

I didn't hold out much hope of getting the remains of the bolt back out but i have an old automatic centre punch thats years old and it was all i needed to get it to rotate enough to get molegrips on it and remove it.

In the van i have a selection of odd sized nuts / bolts and found something suitable to go back in it place.

Would loved to have been a fly on the wall when he went to see his mechanic the next day.

20170414_083319_zpschemejxz.jpg

5c5943a9-c66f-4594-9332-361f98c70668_zps

Here's one i couldn't fix a 40 year old Moto Morini 350 that was now 500cc.

This had come down from Yorkshire on the recent bank holiday and was heading for France on the M20 when the revs shot up and the bike slowed.

It was obvious what had happened the split link had broken and the chain had come off.

Fortunately it hadn't hit anyone behind him nor had it damaged the crankcase but there was no way i could find a replacement chain on an Easter Sunday.

2008 Jaguar XF Diesel loss of power.

This Jaguar had lost power coming down the A22 so the owner pulled over and waited for me.

It would start fine and idle fine but every five seconds it would dip its revs for a second the recover and repeat the cycle.

If you held the revs up higer it would do a similar thing,the fuel gauge was reading empty so i assumed that it was out of fuel but the owner said there was a £600 fault with the gauge / sender unit so they just topped it up every couple of days and it was only filled that morning.

I code read it and it had a single code for low fuel level that if cleared returned straight away.

What the car had picked today to do was think it was running out of fuel and start cutting injectors (programmed reduced power?) to make the driver aware that they urgently need more fuel and to add some pronto.

I had a quick google and it seemed the multi plug pins on the fuel tank sender unit corrode and go green causing this problem so i was able to get to them and clean them up enough with out snapping them off for it to register fuel again and run correctly.

• Mr_Bo11ox, Barry Cade., Fat_Pirate and 27 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users