Oops!

Baz

Just got back from a pleasant weekend in Bournemouth (Who'd think that a ladies barbershop singing convention could be so enjoyable! :oops: ) to find that an idle Ebay bid, made really just out of curiosity over the reserve price, and that I thorougly expected to have been out-bid by miles, has landed me this....

Posted Image

Posted Image

....'86 Renault 9 Broadway! :shock:

Vendor has sent me an "invoice" stating that the car needs to be collected within 5-days, this wasn't mentioned in the original listing, and I'm going to be unable to comply, as that's going to fall during the week....I'm hoping they'll cut me a little slack on this, and maybe I'll be the proud owner of another ol' Renner by next weekend! :roll:

That's funny because I knew you were impressed by that one & I was wondering whether you also liked the look of the red one on the eBay thread & I was going to bring it to your attention if you hadn't seen it. Guess I know not to now! Although I prefer the front end of the red one.Hey, this one is the non Turbo twin of wuvvums'!

thats fantastic!! Congratulations..Speaking of ebay, my freind has just bought greenvanman's erm green camper van off there, went to see it this morning, what a nice chap he is!

Well done Baz. I hope it turns out to be more reliable than my 9 - it's been running fine all week but flatly refused to start this morning (and this afternoon, and this evening). I look forward to seeing your new beastie - maybe you'll be able to make it down to the Angel at some point? Should be fairly straightforward to collect, too - there's a train that goes direct from Norwich to Alfreton. I'd offer you a lift, but I'm going to be heading in more or less the opposite direction next weekend.

Baz, if they can wait until Friday evening or even Saturday/Sunday morning (like leaving early, 5am or so) I can probably help you out with a lift.With that VPV registration, you’d be bringing it home to East Anglia. We must have seen cars in that sequence trundling around Suffolk back then.

Nice work Baz! Chuck those wheeltrims in the bin pronto!

Yep, but what I do after that will depend upon the condition of the rims underneath....If they're tatty, I'll probably stick on a set of the Halfraulds ones that I've get on the Eleven (as I quite like them) while I source a set of originals, or get round to "detailing" the steelies.... :D

R11 on Ebay shortly then?? :)

To be honest, I think it'll more likely be the Rover....I've decided that I don't like the worry associated with having such a lovely car (carparks etc), and the fuel consumption (whilst not bad for a 2.5 V6 Auto that sees mainly city use) is starting to irritate too....I think provided it's somewhere near as good as it looks, the Nine will be o.k. for Frances to use (she loves the Eleven, but it has too many little "quirks" for me to be happy to let her use it!) and I'll continue with the Eleven until the Twenny finally turns up, at which point the Eleven will be offered to my stepson (who passed his test last week) if he'd like it.

That's funny because I knew you were impressed by that one & I was wondering whether you also liked the look of the red one on the eBay thread & I was going to bring it to your attention if you hadn't seen it. Guess I know not to now! Although I prefer the front end of the red one.

Yep, seen that one, but I have to admit "mine" looks nicer....I personally prefer the quad headlamps, the broadway has lower mileage and a sunroof too, so I'm happy! :D

I look forward to seeing your new beastie - maybe you'll be able to make it down to the Angel at some point?

My new job sees me working nights on only one week out of three, so I'm very hopeful that I'll be able to make it....I'm assuming they stop during the winter though? That being the case, I still hope to have the Nine (aswell as the Twenty :roll: ) come the Spring! :wink:

Baz, if they can wait until Friday evening or even Saturday/Sunday morning (like leaving early, 5am or so) I can probably help you out with a lift.

Thanks S.L....As it happens, I've just discovered that Frances is on phone duty this weekend: Therefore pretty much confined to barracks, so if something along those lines (maybe early Saturday?) can be arranged, then that would be great!I've gotta phone the chap after 5pm this evening....I'll PM You after that to see if we can arrange something :wink:

That's funny because I knew you were impressed by that one & I was wondering whether you also liked the look of the red one on the eBay thread & I was going to bring it to your attention if you hadn't seen it. Guess I know not to now! Although I prefer the front end of the red one.

Yep, seen that one, but I have to admit "mine" looks nicer....I personally prefer the quad headlamps, the broadway has lower mileage and a sunroof too, so I'm happy! :D
I think it's because I simply prefer the 9 to the 11 so I like my Nines to look like Nines & my Elevens to look like Elevens! You're speaking as an existing Eleven aficionado, so you're more than happy for your 9 to look like an 11. I just feel that if I had them parked side by side facing out of a driveway I wouldn't want people to think I owned two 11s rather than one of each.

I like early morning blasts, so Saturday suits me very well if that's OK with the vendor (earlier the better, then I'll be back home for family stuff). As you say, we can confirm things by PM. I'm thinking it will be another Accord trip, to continue the theme of our last Renault collection mission. C32 will be here by then (being delivered this afternoon!) but not sure if I'll trust it on a long trip like that quite yet...It looks as if there will be another R-R meet next week (6th) and I should be going, in the C32 for definite!BTW, in having a 9 and 11 you realize they add up to 20? Will the sum ownership experience of them be as great as owning a 20 however?...

I think it's because I simply prefer the 9 to the 11 so I like my Nines to look like Nines & my Elevens to look like Elevens! You're speaking as an existing Eleven aficionado, so you're more than happy for your 9 to look like an 11.

I'd prefer my 11 to look like a 9 in the same way as VW people can't stop making their Golfs look like Jettas. What I really want however is a Civic Aerodeck made to look like a Rover 400.

Well....Thanks to S.L. and his trusty Accord, the unexpected addition to the Baz fleet is now home....Here are the pics....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Delightfully wonky numberplate....Appears original! :shock:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Couldn't agree more! :D

Posted Image

Interior is pretty much spotless.

Posted Image

Shite sounds....Good job I rarely listen to music in the car nowadays! :lol:

I have to say, I'm a very happy boy....The seller's bold assertion that this car "drives like new" really isn't too far wide of the mark at all....It has a very slight misfire on light throttle openings, but otherwise it's perfect....Where the Eleven, bless it, has lots of little "character features" (Squeaks, rattles, knocks, bangs, and a bit of a "knack" to starting from cold), the Nine is quiet, smooth, composed, and rides beautifully....The engine is nowhere near as tappety as the Eleven's either! :D

Granted, there are numerous dents, but there's negligable rust....The car looks very tidy indeed, but it's not SO tidy that I'd be afraid to park it at Asda....The wheeltrims are pretty hideous, but there are three of the originals in the (two of which are in fine condition), so I'm gonna try and track a couple down, and return it to original spec.

Interior wise, it's in EXTREMELY good order....The re-attachment of the end of one on the chrome strips on the dash, and a clip or two to put the rear of the headlining back where it's supposed to be, will see the car pretty much as it left the factory.

All in all, a splendidly Shite day....I got to drive S.L's equally excellent Accord on the way over (and due to arse-about-face switchgear, operated the wipers EVERY time I wanted to indicate, much to S.L's amusement! :roll: ), collected my excellent new steed, then had a surprising Shite-related diversion on the way home....but I'll leave S.L. to tell You all about that! :wink:

Thanks again to S.L. for his help, and a thoroughly pleasant morning! :D

That looks very clean Baz - where did you have to pick it up from?

Can we have pics of the 9 & 11 side by side? That would be cool. I will achieve that one day with my R14 & Ritmo!

That Renault slogan sounds very much like the old McVities one!

Is Broadway a top spec version or at least high up the range?

I got to drive S.L's equally excellent Accord on the way over (and due to arse-about-face switchgear, operated the wipers EVERY time I wanted to indicate, much to S.L's amusement! :roll: )

That kept happening to me getting used to one way in the Fiesta, then a different way in the Renault now back to the same way in the Alfa! :lol:

That looks very clean Baz - where did you have to pick it up from?Can we have pics of the 9 & 11 side by side? That would be cool. I will achieve that one day with my R14 & Ritmo!Is Broadway a top spec version or at least high up the range?

Car came from Alfreton, Derbyshire....Probably about 130 miles away....So S.L's Accord has worked for it's living today!There will be side by side pics....Probably tomorrow, as some muppet's parked a Fiat Punto in a position that makes getting the Eleven out of the driveway quite tricky! :roll: It's a tarted povo-spec! :P

I got to drive S.L's equally excellent Accord on the way over (and due to arse-about-face switchgear, operated the wipers EVERY time I wanted to indicate, much to S.L's amusement! :roll: )

That kept happening to me getting used to one way in the Fiesta, then a different way in the Renault now back to the same way in the Alfa! :lol:
But indicators on the right is the proper way.

I think Hyundai is the only company selling cars in the UK these days with the indicators on the proper side. :(

That Renner is lovely! I hope you can find some original wheeltrims for it though.

The pedal setup is very similar to the Clio's (i.e. a pain in the arse), strangely enough.

Posted Image

Couldn't agree more! :D

I remember seeing these stickers in the 1980s, and thinking "is this a statement of fact, or a plea to the company from its customers" :lol:

Lovely R9 Baz, I believe that a friend of mine might well have some of the original wheeltrims going spare :)

Tremendous work Baz!'Renault Build A Better Car' - I remember reading a letter in Autocar in the late 80's which said: "Dear Sir - If 'Renault Build A Better Car', why won't they sell it to the public?" :lol::lol::lol: Interestingly Wuvvum's 304 has the indicators on the right.

Now that really does look rather nice. I don't think I've seen a 9 Broadway in this country for a great many years. I'm sure it looked darker blue than that on eBay though? :? My 9 seems to be behaving itself for now - cleaned two of the plugs today (the only two that are possible to get at with my mediocre socket set) and ran the jump leads across from the Saab and away it went. I think the plugs are on their way out unfortunately - which is a bugger as they're £19 each. I think it might be getting a set of standard R9 plugs for now...

Interestingly Wuvvum's 304 has the indicators on the right.

Yup. so did several '70s French cars - both my R4s did, and I'm pretty sure my Mk1 5 did too. So did the Citroën LN we used to have at my parent's holdiay place in France. Interestingly, the indicators on the 304 make exactly the same noise as those in my dad's old R6, which is a noise I never thought I'd hear again - the R4 was nowhere near. Door handles are surprisingly similar to the R6 as well - similar shape and work in the same way. The headlight switch is very odd - it sort of works in a square - you pull it backwards for sidelights, then push it down for dipped headlights, then forward for main beams. Very odd.

It was indeed a great day out, wonderful Autumn weather too (well, once it got light - I left home at 4.50am). The 9 is a really tidy little thing, our C-reg convoy cruised back very happily keeping up with everything else on the A-roads across The Fens and into Norfolk, not one motorway mile travelled.

Longer report from me and lots of pic's to follow. As a tempter, how about 1973 Suzuki Fronte, DKW, Bond, Isetta, Cursor, Honda Z, Enfield, Zundapp etc etc etc plus an A-reg 205? Oh, and a K-plate Marina on the way home.

From the list of little cars, one or two of you may know where we went - we accidentally found an Autoshite mecca in the form of the Bubble Car Museum, who just happened to be hosting a Microcar rally so there were loads of additonal small things to be amazed by.

All to come in another thrilling installment tomorrow evening, must finish packing up some eBay packages and get to bed early!