Rover P8

Wilko220

It does indeed look a bit like it was designed with the Aussie market in mind. I wonder if this prototype shares any bits with the P76?

Also, quartic steering wheel.

Moar:

Looks like our Russian comrades had a peek at the Metro prototype:

lada-oka-01.jpg

68354_10151184792120690_1588360737_n.jpg

Both look a lot like some late 80s/early 90s Jap offerings too.

It does indeed look a bit like it was designed with the Aussie market in mind. I wonder if this prototype shares any bits with the P76?

Also, quartic steering wheel.

Moar:

Looks like our Russian comrades had a peek at the Metro prototype:

lada-oka-01.jpg

68354_10151184792120690_1588360737_n.jpg

Both look a lot like some late 80s/early 90s Jap offerings too.

If that's a P8, what was the P7?

P7 was the codename for five prototype six-cylinder P6s, a project rendered redundant when the V8 came along.

p7story_02.jpg

The survival of the P8 is a welcome surprise, even if it is in a bad way - the rumours had suggested the one at Gaydon was the crash tested car and they wouldn't put it on display because it fared so badly. It's definitely of the Mk4 Zodiac design school with that massive bonnet and short boot but looks a bit ungainly.

If that's a P8, what was the P7?

P7 was the codename for five prototype six-cylinder P6s, a project rendered redundant when the V8 came along.

p7story_02.jpg

The survival of the P8 is a welcome surprise, even if it is in a bad way - the rumours had suggested the one at Gaydon was the crash tested car and they wouldn't put it on display because it fared so badly. It's definitely of the Mk4 Zodiac design school with that massive bonnet and short boot but looks a bit ungainly.

I never knew such a car existed. :shock:

I cannot help but think that it looks almost like a datsun cedric.

I was thinking Datsun Cedric too - especially around the C pillar. It looks the business with it's bonnet bulge. 8)

Seems that Austin were looking closely at the Renault 5 when developing the Metro.

I never knew such a car existed. :shock:

I cannot help but think that it looks almost like a datsun cedric.

I was thinking Datsun Cedric too - especially around the C pillar. It looks the business with it's bonnet bulge. 8)

Seems that Austin were looking closely at the Renault 5 when developing the Metro.

When you see that yellow ADO88 prototype, it reminds you how glad we should be that they turned around and went "you know? I think this looks a bit shit" before tweaking it vastly to create the much better Metro.

I hope these prototypes were just being moved and that this wasn't another round of leaving exhibits outside...

When you see that yellow ADO88 prototype, it reminds you how glad we should be that they turned around and went "you know? I think this looks a bit shit" before tweaking it vastly to create the much better Metro.

I hope these prototypes were just being moved and that this wasn't another round of leaving exhibits outside...