Few recent pics of my Supersport....

retrogeezer

Some of you have seen this but not everyone. I restored it back in 1994, new wings/bonnet/front panel/rear arches/rear panel/rust free tailgate etc then a full professional respray (by me) including door shuts, engine bay etc.

The way it has held up speaks volumes for the work put into it, it is 14 years since the resto was done and it still looks as fresh as the day it rolled out of the spray booth.

It's a travesty that it's stuck in my mums garage down south as I don't have room in my garage here for it yet.

Pics:

(and yes, I know the plates are shit!)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Forgot you had that! Tis a nice looking thing, must be thinner on the ground even than XR2s as less interest in saving? The rarer MkIs get the more interesting they become! Used to see a black R reg one of these around town a few years back. Been a while since I've seen it though! :|

XR2 shell, eh?Looks nice that. I love Supersport alloys.

Nope, Supersport shell....the first Mk1 shell to have the bulge in the rear panel to accomodate the 6 inch wide spare wheel.Much rarer than an XR2 as it was a limited run of 3000 cars in 1980 to test the market for the XR2.Low production coupled with cheaper insurance means many were written off by youngsters.It got plenty of looks 10 years ago on the road, any Mk1 is a rare sight now (or a mk2 come to that)

Alloys, arches, basically dry run for the XR2, minus the 1588 kent.As an aside there is a cardboard tube in the mother-in-laws loft with spare decals for the Fiesta credit championship, my father-in-law was a Dunton employee and pulled a few strokes at the foundry to have a generously ported (but factory standard 8) ) Cast head put aside :wink:

You appear to have the rear pipe missing? (or did at the time of the picture...)quote]

Yep, it fell off last time I used it....rusted round the edge of the weld. I have got the bit though so hopefully get it welded back on if the metal on the silencer is thick enough.

XR2 shell, eh?Looks nice that. I love Supersport alloys.

Nope, Supersport shell....the first Mk1 shell to have the bulge in the rear panel to accomodate the 6 inch wide spare wheel.Much rarer than an XR2 as it was a limited run of 3000 cars in 1980 to test the market for the XR2.Low production coupled with cheaper insurance means many were written off by youngsters.It got plenty of looks 10 years ago on the road, any Mk1 is a rare sight now (or a mk2 come to that)
I know exactly what a Supersport is, but I didn't know about them having the bulge. Always thought that was XR2 only.Heh, the local body panel place around here used to sell more Fiesta back panels than anything else on a Fiesta, more often than not to get rid of the wheel bulge from XR2 "replicas"...

Ah - I see....Spent many years at car shows hearing people say 'cor, look at the XR2' :roll: Rear panels with the bulge are impossible to find now....when I did the resto in 1994 it was just about the last time you could get genuine Ford panels for them off the shelf.

Wood dash was Ghia trim, at the time I preferred it but think I will replace it with the original silver stuff.The guy that had it before me fitted the ghia trim, all the door cappings are from a ghia too. There is uusually bare metal on the doors, and the A,B and C pillars and this was all fitted with Ghia trim too.

Spent many years at car shows hearing people say 'cor, look at the XR2' :roll:

That is a very nice car, the Supersports were all "pre-facelift" which means they had thinner bumpers than the XR2... so bumpers mounted with two nuts not four... so that back panel's an even rarer thing to find... oof, weather's a bit warm to be wearing an anorak huh? :lol:

I'm sure the black R reg one I used to see said SuperSport on the rear otherwise I wouldn't have known that's what it was, as I previously hadn't heard of one! (and it looked exactly like yours but black, so it looked perfectly original.....although it also had the original & proper raised black letter type plates! :wink::lol: )

I believe the XROC kncoked out a run of "SUPER SPORT" decals in Ford RS house style some time ago, seen quite a few cars with these over the years.

R-plate was first year of Fiesta production and way too early to be a genuine Supersport Regie, could be either a replica or somebody's stuck an older plate on a W/X-reg car. This guy has:

Posted Image

PS. Retro, your plates are WANK :twisted:

• 5 weeks later...

awesum..i have to Ask Auntie what she was race /rallying back in 79 but it was an Factory rather than private special..she was sponsered by the company..i woz only a kid so cant recall exactly..it was excessively loud and she kept on blowing the motors i recall..but she was leading Stirling Moss in class..

wonders..ive found it..my aunt was Geunda Eadie /Dilys Rogers [co-driver]..this is what kick started her career..

http://foxcraft.co.uk/championship.html

Posted Image

my auntie and Peter Ashcroft

Posted Image

rally livery..Louise Aitkens

Posted Image