1st Gen. RANGE ROVER

PaykanHunter

David Bache hit the nail on the head when he styled the original RR. It still looks contemporary 42 years later :)

Though to be fair, he only tweaked the basic Spen King design. It's amazing how close the rough prototypes were to the finished product!

Naturally I agree, though I actually like all of the Range Rover generations. The L322 was perfect after the slight disappointment of the P38 and in my opinion is one of the best looking 4x4s of all time.

Oh, sorry. Forgot the form book. New cars are shite! :P

David Bache hit the nail on the head when he styled the original RR. It still looks contemporary 42 years later :)

Though to be fair, he only tweaked the basic Spen King design. It's amazing how close the rough prototypes were to the finished product!

Indeed:

roadrover4%20prototype%201967xzy.jpg

The finished article was a much more desirable proposition, though :)

they get fatter and heavier the later they get, a p38 is nearly 2.2Ton

That's not particularly heavy by modern standards. In a recent discussion elsewhere it transpired that some versions of Vauxhall Astra can weigh more than a Jaguar XJ12. I'm pretty sure the heaviest version was close to 2.2 tonnes.

The P38 Rangerover looked a cross between a Metrocab and a Maestro from the front,and had all the driving refinement of a pair of underpants in a tumble dryer. The 2.5 diesel roared like a dustcart pulling away,and simply drank fuel and made slow progress;why the hell didnt they use the 3.0 BMW engine instead ?

I agree, although it's hard to think of a car where I don't think the first ones looked best.

Definitely has to be a late 70s 3 door with the plastic seats and in a period BL colour. 8)

jJXxQ.jpg

GOD!... That just looks stunning really!... How could anybody say that this 4th generation is an improvement?!...

02-2013-land-rover-range-rover628opt.jpg

Love my 93 classic. Costs a small fortune to run it as a daily driver but still worth it. LPG v8 is the way to go :P

Oh and in bog standard form the 1st gen classic range rover is way more capable than any olli prat would have you believe despite their protestations that you must have Omg 42" lift, bobtailed, diff locker, rock slider completely ruined range rover

I hate the p38 for it horrific electronic wizardry and engine fuckwittery. Everything newer is just too phat. The evoque is just a bit too pretty and the sport has everything I want except the drug dealerz image. I'll stick with my 19 year old range rover then.

Nice classics escpecially the 2 doors are increasing in value. Find a good un and hang onto it

I like all of 'em.

Classics are wonderful things, and I like the fact that they got posher towards the end. Aircon etc.

P38a was a nice try, better at some things than the Classic, unfortunately a fair bit more likely to go wrong, and a habit of going wrong isn't good.

L322s are wonderful, but the BMW engined ones are a bit gutless and weedy. The later Jag powered ones are a huge improvement.

This new one, I like it, but obviously haven't tried one yet. I think it looks ace, and if I had a spare £80k to spend on a huge off road luxury car I'd be seriously thinking about one. The chances of having a spare £80k are miniscule, but one day they'll be cheap and I'll buy one.

Hi

Just bought a Beluga Black 91 Vogue SE with gas flowed heads, full stainless exhaust, 150 litres LPG kit, recond auto box and transfer box (with £2k receipts to prove) and a full set of replacement passenger doors in the boot for £500. Suspected porous block but runs really well. Plus the Duchess likes the comfy leather seats and wood bits. It joins the two series Landies and the K11 Micra hack.

Ed

The P38 Rangerover looked a cross between a Metrocab and a Maestro from the front,and had all the driving refinement of a pair of underpants in a tumble dryer. The 2.5 diesel roared like a dustcart pulling away,and simply drank fuel and made slow progress;why the hell didnt they use the 3.0 BMW engine instead ?

Because they didn't have access to a time machine.

420333.jpg

I like the late freshened up P38s. Looks pretty classy to me.

Because they didn't have access to a time machine.

And then they did, in the third generation :)

I've only driven RRC's and do like them, I do think my next Rangey will be a p38 though (big ass lpg of course).

My Classic was a late v8 3.9 on lpg with air suspension and every factory option, I think it ended up with 7 fuseboxes or something stupid, a p38 can't be any worse than that. I don't think p38's look too bad and if it's still running it should be relatively sorted ... I've said that before :lol:

I'd be more interested to see what the weight differences are like between those 4 models. I know the new one (L405) is lighter than the out going one, but is it as light as the original (remembering the new one is mostly aluminium, and not 3mm thick steel ;) )

I think i still prefer the out going one to the new one. The out going one is just so right in absolutely everything bar the sat nav and the fuel economy.

My two.

366308696_fb8b0a8d90.jpg

Well of Lecht by Tayne, on Flickr

2428138839_b0a2b147ba.jpg

Mucky by Tayne, on Flickr

And I don't care what you all say, I like the p38 and would have another.

It still looks light on its feet in the way that a classic does, the L322 doesn't really manage this.

I fear that the brand new one has windows which are too high and I don't like the way the edge of the lights wrap around into the bodyside. If I owned a black one I'm sure I could find a use for a roll of electrical tape.