The dash at night

dollywobbler

I like them. That one was a top spec with leather, pano roof and self park. I think they're good cars, but i like puntos so its hardly surprising.  central dials didn't strike me as odd at all, infact it must be well done, as I don't  like yaris with the stupid centralised pod thing... didn't early x trails have a similar setup? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1995 Peugeot 106. Clearly Peugeot knew this car was very good fun to drive so they didn’t bother illuminating the lower end of the speedo.

14cc743ccbe9a70101f6b207aa4aabee.jpg

1996 BMW 316i. For some reason you don’t get the OMGMPG-meter you get in every other BMW on the E36 Compact. Presumably this is to remind you that you are a scummer clinging on by a thread to respectability in the office car park.

69c3c1fe868fd9cc8175a93605ada332.jpg

2016 VW Golf GT DSG. This car actually replaced a Mk4 GTi. I much prefer the white lighting to the blue and red they used on the old car.

fdb8379ae7327591e79b90b7cb3cde9c.jpg

number of megaarpixels <> quality of image.

They're upside down because you used the phone upside down... the internal G sensor will identify what angle the phone was when the image was taken and then rotate them so they're the right way up on the phone screen.  Even if a picture is shared from one phone to another, this info is often passed on, and the image still looks correct on a different phone.

Once downloaded, all bets are off.

Here's one snapped in the Lada yesterday evening.  I've edited so that it's roughly how bright it looks in person (the sidelight indicator lamp obviously excepted!).

post-21985-0-48173300-1506639442_thumb.jpg

Next up is the Skoda.  Yes...there really is this much inconsistency between each of the instruments in terms of brightness and colour.  Likewise in the dark you just have to remember which warning light is which because all you have is a little coloured dot.

post-21985-0-77487600-1506639944_thumb.jpg

The fuel gauge is at least visible at night...during the day it generally shows a lovely reflection of the sky somewhere behind your right shoulder.  Not that it serves as anything more than a cornering force meter when moving anyway.

I'll add one for the rest of the fleet when I get a chance!  Should have photos already saved as dash design was something that when I was younger I found really fascinating for some reason.

The Proton gets a mention as it was the first car I had with a fully backlit rather than edge-lit instrument panel.

• 3 weeks later...