No car credit?

Cavcraft

You on Mk2cav as well Mr Coli?

Indeed! Here's my car's thread.

My post on Migweb looks to have disappeared overnight, however. This guy does strike me as wanting to have his cake and eat it, when he really could have done with not being spoiled as a kid...

EditTurns out it was deleted because I posted the one I was going to post on here ("I've just offered him me Cav for £400, which is 4 times what it cost me, if he's any sort of mug then I'm quids in!") on there, and being not drunk last night, I don't know htf I did that!

No worries.Now to continue the theme of 'I have a car and no brain' comes the latest from a mate of a mate.Long story short he's going to lose his licence very soon (and it served him right). So the 1998 Beemer 3 series he paid £3495 for less than 14 months ago has to go. Asks me to help him sell it to which I agree as our mutual friend is a very good mate of mine.Anyhow Beemer owner goes out in his car two nights before he's due in court. Car starts 'running funny' so calls RAC. RAC say headgasket going and tow him home. I get wind of this and try and phone him to see if I can help, leave various answerphone messages and no reply.Next day it transpired he called the scrappy who gave him £170 for it. With 4 months tax and a three week old £125 CD player in it and three recent new tyres.I couldn't believe it when he told me, in fact I nearly fell over. What's the betting it'll turn up in a local auction with some K-seal in it and a quick wash and polish?Where do these people come from?

You on Mk2cav as well Mr Coli?

Indeed! Here's my car's thread.

My post on Migweb looks to have disappeared overnight, however. This guy does strike me as wanting to have his cake and eat it, when he really could have done with not being spoiled as a kid...

EditTurns out it was deleted because I posted the one I was going to post on here ("I've just offered him me Cav for £400, which is 4 times what it cost me, if he's any sort of mug then I'm quids in!") on there, and being not drunk last night, I don't know htf I did that!

Aye, they won't have taken kindly to offering cars for sale on anything other than the right section either! To be fair the mod's on the are pretty good: I've had a couple of run ins over the years and they did piss me off big time on a couple of occasions but they are a good bunch.

How's life on Mk2Cav? Not posted on there for a while really. Have you seen Rabbit's Mk2 collection? He had some seriously nice cars including a two door Opel GT (Euro version of our SRi) amongst others.

Retrogeezer: you should be able to view most of the site without being a member unless they've changed things now.

Having read through the MigWeb thread, it seems this fella won't have his mind swayed. Classic (?) symptoms of citing cheaper running costs, without actually seeing that the depreciation and interest costs will exceed all those savings by a factor of eleventy million :roll:

Here's how my experience of Welcome finance turned out, with numbers.Ex-wife already had one of their cars when I met her. 1997 mondeo, bought in 2000. Repayments were £170 a month I believe, over 5 years. That's £10200 for a three year old car which was worth, when bought, £3.5k. When we met she'd already paid it for three years, so around £6k, and at that stage it was worth around a grand. Eventually, after a bit of faffing by Welcome as her income went down, it was all paid off, all ten thousand pounds, and the car was hers to keep! Except.... by now it was a decade old mondeo, 198,000 miles, with a shagged clutch. Ended up on ebay as frag fodder, I got £102 for it.Total outlay then £10,098 and nothing to show.Whilst she had this car, I bought an Audi 90. £275, so about the same as one and a half's payments for her car. It was a 1991 car so 6 years older. Owned it for a year, spent less than a hundred quid on it except fuel. Sold it on via audifans for £550. So I'm actually in profit, it's done everything hers did without the crippling finance, and it didn't end up as washing machines.Why do people do it?

Sorry about the crap link, I forgot about the member's thing. Mk2 Cav is alright if you have a mega-modded job with a 16v engine or you're returning one to concours, but there's no interest from other members if you actually use one as an everyday car like mine is.

I "saved" a 1.6GL on an A last year, which had been bandied about on Mk2Cav.com for months in the "For Sale" section with no takers, just lots of grumbling about originality :roll: Car was only £100 FFS, and needed only a new wing and some patching to get back to good nick:

Posted Image

See? It still lives, thankfully.

I "saved" a 1.6GL on an A last year, which had been bandied about on Mk2Cav.com for months in the "For Sale" section with no takers, just lots of grumbling about originality :roll: Car was only £100 FFS, and needed only a new wing and some patching to get back to good nick:

Posted Image

See? It still lives, thankfully.

That looks great! Now lower it and stick a valver in it and some 17"s! is what would normally get said. Rarely ever "Cool, where did you last go in it?"!

I imagine everybody here has been subjected to the "Why don't you get a bank loan and buy a decent car" from family and friends. I've considered it when my shitters have been particularly troublesome but it doesn't take long to do the sums.The very cheapest you will get a shiny car is £100 per month, and you'll never own it at that money so that's £100 forever. That's £100 on top of all the other running costs. It won't be much of a car either.

All the bl00dy time, mostly from work-type-people. Used to drive me mad, and occassionally I considered submitting. But hey, a £400 snotter that lasts a year, still worth £400 at the end either in bits or as a whole. No depreciation there. No deposit. No balloon payments. No £149 a month, every month for 5 years. Tidy. Cash in the bank for whatever I see fit. And I have never really had any grief from grot. Must have driven hundreds of thousands of miles, the only times I have 'failed to proceed' have been in nearly-new tat. (Self-inflicted breakdowns like no petrol, or 20 minutes fiddling to coaxe it into life of a winter's morn don't count!!!)

Take a look at the last post on that Migweb thread, it's so true and the sarcasm should work better than telling him straight, if it doesn't then...Really though. £266 a month? Save £200 of that a month and piss the rest up a wall and in a couple of year's time you've got enough for a deposit up there or you could buy a slightly out-of-date Impreza...

I think that the lad deserves some sympathy; the combination of being gullible and desperate is an unfortunate one so we should not be too harsh on him. Our contempt should be reserved for the badge snobs (Skoda are doing rather better than Jasper Carrot :lol: ) and those who are so stupid that they can only judge a car by the letter (or now number) on its number plate.So let's be positive. I suggest he buys a Proton Compact for a few hundred, it's unlikely to have been thrashed, swaps the badges for Colt ones, no-one will know the difference, and if he is really sad, an Irish number plate from the back of Autotrader for 99 quid.Problem solved :D

The latest generation of Skodas are good cars ('cept where they suffer from the usual VAG failings, of course)...I'm quite happy for the badge snobbery to continue - keeps 'em cheap on the secondhand market!BTW, if anyone is interested in a 51-plate Fabia 1.4 16v Comfort, 88k with a very, very FSH, new MOT and all the fruit incl. climate for 2 grand, lemme know :wink:

Skoda are doing rather better than Jasper Carrot

Oh, I don't know - Jasper Carrot is only worth £60million and made £11 million from his shares in Celadors parent company:

50. (48=) Jasper Carrott £60m (£50m)Jan 14 2008 50 (48=) Jasper Carrott £60m (£50m)When Jasper Carrott signed the contract to present the ITV quiz show GoldenBalls, he is on record as saying he thought the sums on offer for the job were in Italian lire.Such is the draw of the 62-year-old Acocks Green-born funny man that he can command big bucks. He could do much more TV and stage work but he turns away projects if they threaten to lower the high standards he has set himself.GoldenBalls, which first aired in April last year, was a surprise success to many, but it was less of a surprise to makers Endemol, who also produce Deal or No Deal and know a thing or two about simple formula quiz shows.Last year Jasper Carrott - who was the second person behind fellow Rich Lister Ozzy Osbourne to be immortalised with his star in Broad Street’s Walk of Stars - announced that he was going to take things a little easier. Well there’s not much sign of that.As well as 60 episodes of GoldenBalls he is fronting a new interactive pub quiz service launched towards the end of last year. Jasper Carrott - real name Robert Davis - is one of the backers of London-based Innterplay, and sits on its board as a non-executive director. Innterplay received its broadcasting licence from Ofcom last summer.Innterplay broadcasts a live pub quiz - Cash Inn - to around 500 pubs around the country on Sunday nights. Pub-goers, with wireless keypads, relay their answers to the Cash Inn studio for cash prizes, playing against other pubs. The service was developed from an idea at Jasper Carrott’s former production company, Celador.His annual Rock With Laughter show at the NEC just before Christmas was another big success, bringing together acts as diverse as Dame Edna Everage, Chris De Burgh, Jack Dee, Jamelia, Jo Brand and Shakin’ Stevens.In the autumn he even found time to act as guest compere at the Brum Rocks show to mark the reopening of Birmingham Town Hall. The event, organised by Jasper Carrott’s former schoolmate and rock drummer Bev Bevan, raised money for Birmingham Children’s Hospital.Carrott received the OBE in 2003, which recognised his charity work. He has raised huge sums for local causes including the Children’s Hospital and special schools. He has also raised money for national causes including the Variety Club of Great Britain, the NSPCC and Comic Relief.Jasper Carrott’s TV shows and sitcoms, including The Detectives, Canned Carrot, Carrot’s Lib and All About Me, have all achieved commercial success, but much of his fortune comes from a 15 per cent share of Celador, the TV production company which owns the phenomenal international success - Who Wants to be a Millionaire?Celador’s ultimate parent company, the Target Group was bought in 2006 by Dutch company 2Way Traffic for £106 million. Jasper Carrott made £11 million from the deal.When he was presented with the special Walk of Stars slab engraved with a star and his name, he said: "I have lived in the area for 62 years and have never wanted to move. This is the best city in the world."

Why settle for such a common piece of proletarian rubbish like a car thats maybe as much as 5 or even 6 years old - WHAT WOULD THE NEIGHBOURS SAY!!!???, when you could have a 2 or 3 year old one instead - or even a brand new one, after all its only another £99 per month for the next 6 years!Isnt it wonderfull that he can just sign some papers and have the newest, shiniest car on the forecourt? little niggles like whether its overpriced mean nothing when he is paying such an affordable amount each month!

This used to p1ss me off so much when I was a Financial Adviser, the hoops we needed to jump through in order to satisfy 'affordability' for someone to save £50 a month (or even a fiver). It would take 2-3 hours to complete the 'profile build' just to establish income/expenditure and risk attitude etc.These same people could walk into a car showroom and sign on the dotted line in 10 minutes to blow £300 a month on a new car.

He is a decent lad as I suggested earlier and in some ways I feel a twat for sort of showing him up if you like. It's just having been down this road myself (to a much lesser extent) years back it pains me to see people taken in by glib sales artists in Top Shop suits. It's really not much different to the likes of Car Crap telling people their old car is dangerous/uneconomical/rubbish and you should buy their four year old tarted up high mileage ex-rep mobile for 'only' £6.00 per day or whatever it is.

I think Jasper Carrot's Skoda jokes owed more to laziness than snobbery.

Er, I think Jasper's doing rather better for himself than most people might imagine. He was one of the founders of the TV Production company Celador - creators of 'Who Wants to Be A Millionaire'. Which was just sold for a figure considerable in excess of several million pounds, never mind one million.