Remembering front sliding doors on vans

Hairy_Kebab

I used to have an old ex RAC Sherpa van with front sliding doors and remember driving with them open which i used to love squirting in and out of traffic in Central London.Fantastic in a heavy downpour when spray off the front wheels used to fill your right hand view when turning left.Its a shame people wont be able to experience driving these vans again.Keep looking out to buy a Sherpa,Transit,CF or any other van with these doors but can i find any :cry:4343692413_aa4b6706e0.jpg5458960443_396dfff31d_z.jpg

I have a somewhat dim view of them because as a child, my mother saw one take a tumble in her road. Driver fell out then got squashed by the van. Not pleasant!

I remembered this when on a work day out, Richard Gunn was hooning about in Ford's delicious early Transit. No seatbelts, vinyl seats and the sliding door right back. SAFE!

Do the fugly UPS vans still have sliders, although I've never seen one for sale on the open market, so I assume they are disposed of canabalised at the end of their life by UPS.

Why did sliding doors disappear? Elf & Safety or what?

They make sense for delivery work around town where you're never going to be going fast enough to fall out going round a corner...

edit: scrub that :D :D Although wearing a FUGGIN SEATBELT would help avoid stuff like this:

I have a somewhat dim view of them because as a child, my mother saw one take a tumble in her road. Driver fell out then got squashed by the van. Not pleasant!

My favourite sliding-door van:

van002.jpg

You could still get slidy door LDVs certainly about ten years ago. I delivered a couple of new LDV Pilots to Manchester Airport in about 2000 / 2001. Being stuck in traffic on the M60 and opening the slidy door just because you could was novel!

Yeah prob too expensive to offer 2 types of body panels for different front doors (transit sliding doors need special panels immediately behind the front doors with captive nuts for the tracks). Transit = 32 door options! BTW, despite having 2 vans with em, I'm not a fan!

I remember those white arrow vans, they always meant that goodies from my mums Marshall Ward catalogue were arriving when one of those pulled up outside the house :D