BLOODY EBAY

58classiccars

Hi all, I am going to have a bit of a rant and rave. Ebay have just removed 4 of my listings because I put, No Paypal. I would have thought Ebay can not tell you what way to get paid, since its your stuff.When I phoned them they told me I must have a paypal account. I still think they should not be able to tell you how to be payed, but I have been told that paypal is part of Ebay so what do you do, rant over, cheers

Say 'paypal accepted, but if you wish to pay the full asking price via this means, please call before bidding' at which point you tell em that they will have to pay the paypal charges, otherwise its a deposit by payalp and the rest in cash on KOLEKSHUN

Say 'paypal accepted, but if you wish to pay the full asking price via this means, please call before bidding' at which point you tell em that they will have to pay the paypal charges,

If you say that and the buyer complains, you'll have your account suspended. eBay doesn't allow sellers to charge a fee for use of Paypal.

Change your personal settings so you remove PayPal as an accepted payment source, relist, job done. I had this problem when I listed a car - I normally sell old car mags and other jazz for which PayPal is fine - and that's the way I got round it. That was a few months ago though.

Yeah i think you're obliged to offer paypal as a payment method now.If you do what I said above, eBay won't suspend your account because if you stipulated your payment details over the phone, they won't have anything concrete to ban you for, just an alleged phone convo that they have no information about.Of course, they do pull ads nowadays for having a phone number in ('communication must be done via the eBay user message service'), so they could scupper your ad on that basis.They take the piss to the max, so play the game!

Say 'paypal accepted, but if you wish to pay the full asking price via this means, please call before bidding' at which point you tell em that they will have to pay the paypal charges,

If you say that and the buyer complains, you'll have your account suspended. eBay doesn't allow sellers to charge a fee for use of Paypal.
That really winds me up that does - what they're basically saying is that they recognise that PayPal are ripping you off but deny you the chance to make up the difference! But on what grounds??! :evil::twisted: We're being forced to accept Paypal's stupid charges but can't pass them on. In all other walks of life customers have to accept rising prices for goods / services from companies that are passing on increased charges that they get saddled with from suppliers it's the way of the world, so why can't we do the same with our eBay customers? The only chance of any sort of recompense now is to top up what you charge for packaging as they can't say what costs you have personally incurred in the process of preparing & sending your item off, although people will obviously take exception if they feel their packaging charge is unreasonable. The profit to be made on eBay is really minimal now - they keep chipping away & chipping away! :roll:

Aye, they're thieving shysters and no mistaking. I was told 'Paypal only' refers to people with (something like) less than 100 feedback but check first.Also how long before the Monopolies & Mergers posse or someone like that get involved? I really do hope someone takes eBay on in court and hands them their arse on a plate.Meanwhile have some good(ish) news...http://www.cnn.com/2008/BUSINESS/06/30/ ... rss_latestThere's a few quid out of their coffers. Trouble is the robbing bastards will probably just jack up everyone's listing and final valuation fees to compensate.

I logged in to my PayPal account this morning to be greeted with a message which says I'm now obliged (eh? forced more like) to accept "e-cheque" payments on all eBay listings which use PayPal as a payment method.I really fucking hate e-cheques and have blocked them in the past 'cos they're always used by deadbeats who don't own a credit card. It takes ten bastard days for the funds to be dropped in your PayPal account cos they take a direct debit off the buyer and hang on to the money for a week.In the mean time, said deadbeat is emailing every day wanting to know why you haven't posted his stuff.Cunts. Every last one of them.

Ebay tried to force all their Aussie users to make all their payments via paypal. Luckily the Oz govt spotted that this was a total rip off and told eBay to pack it in.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/04/ebay_australia_paypal/

HAR HAR HAR. F##K YOU EBAY.

Great idea, why wouldn't all other countries see that & do the same?

Sellers in the UK have also been obliged to offer PayPal as a payment option and US sellers who ship outside of the country must also offer PayPal.

See, I don't have a problem with allowing foreigners to pay with PayPal - infact I want them to! Any other method of receiving payment from them might involve more hassle & cost on my part which I don't want. I just want to offer PayPal ONLY to foreigners & if that's what punters are being forced to do in the US then that sounds fine to me, no probs with that. It's the way I do it anyway! But by the sound of the above, that's what's happening in the US but over here they're forcing us to offer it to everyone! That's not fair, why are we being treated differently? Is it cos we're mugs?

7 comments posted  Post a new comment

Twisted Bollox Posted 2 hours and 3 minutes ago

Contradiction Posted one hour and 59 minutes ago

re: twisted bollox Posted one hour and 47 minutes ago

@richard Posted one hour and 28 minutes ago

Google marketplace Posted 50 minutes ago

More comments…

Been putting your two penny worth on there? :lol:

Ah, that reminds me: be careful selling stuff abroad using Paypal. I flogged a Nissan 4.2 diesel 4x4 thing to someone in Iceland (no, not the shop) and after eleventy bleeding years trying to sort out getting it exported (as the buyer and the docks contrived to piss me about as much as possible) Paypal decided I was money laundering and froze my account for like fucking ages. Twats.

This time last year, during the floods up here, I advertised 2 cars that acually DID belong to friends on Ebay. One sold very quickly and smoothly, (4 Door Nova on a K for 150 quid) and the same day, the dead rover 220D sold on buy it now for 150 aswell. The Nove picked up, paid cash, and was happy. Rover buyer fucked me about in a chronic fashion. "vac pump failed on truck." " I came to where it was but nobody was in. "(This was the night the floods hit my street, and I had waited until 7pm at work for him, only to find he had lied about ever being there) THe security guard had no record of anyone coming on site with a truck. Then he claimed he was coming another day, and When I rang for time confirmation, he told me he didnt want it now. So I relisted it after opening a dispute. Guess what? It sold very quickly on buy it now. This time to a different user in a different town. His address was emailed to me, so I checked the address on Google Earth/streetmap. (Once bitten twice shy) It was an empty derelict factory.............When the lady who owned the Rover rang him (Her house was at this point 2 feet under water) to find out why he had not made contact, the response was "I have bought no car from Ebay".Foreign bloke. Never heard from him again. I opened dispute number two. Both were chucked out due to me not contacting them.............they wanted listing and final value fees in full. Trouble was, there was no phone or internet connection in our village for 6 weeks due to the underground cables being (yup, you guessed it) flooded! Not a good enough excuse according to Ebay, and it goes on still.............They're getting fuck all from me except the Nova payment, but that's not until the whole bill is replaced with the correct one.My last contact was at Easter when some foreign (poss German) bint rang me to ask why I had not paid. I told her straight. I kept my money so far.We ended up weighing the Rover in.

There are no paypal fees as of the 9th July as long as the payment is not made by credit card (so not much help really, who leaves loads of money sitting in a paypal account)Ebay/Paypal suck the fat one......trouble is, there is no decent competition.

I also have had buyers from abroard who dont believe my bank charges me for money tranfers, I lost 10 pound last time. A couple of weeks ago I bought two spray guns from the good old usa, and have just had a import tax bill for £20, they never told me that in the add for the guns. on a lighter note I think I will have a coffee and whatch the telly,see ya

I agree it's a rip off. I tend to sell only things I know more than one person wants (so that I can potentially get 2 people or more fighting for it). Anything else is not worth the bother and goes in either the bin, charity shop or car boot pile.Sold quite alot of stuff to France (Renault Alpine Spares) and paypal stings you on the exchange rate too :( On the plus side I do tend to accumalate a pound here and a pound there on postage (without ripping people off myself) which sort of pays for the paypal charges.

I also have had buyers from abroard who dont believe my bank charges me for money tranfers, I lost 10 pound last time. A couple of weeks ago I bought two spray guns from the good old usa, and have just had a import tax bill for £20, they never told me that in the add for the guns. on a lighter note I think I will have a coffee and whatch the telly,see ya

When you buy stuff from the US make sure the seller sends it by plain old USPS, not DHL, Fedex or UPS.I've never been caught for tax when using USPS. The courier companies are a different story - I think they make a few extra bob "processing" the tax payable. :roll:

The seller wouldn't have known you would get hit for import duty and it is often just luck of the draw. Somethimes if you get the sender to tick 'gift' on the customs label you get away with it but not always. I mean come on, it's an easy way for the UK government to get even more money of the working man, do you think they won't make the most of it!

Hactually, John Lewis has been the cheapest for two lots of electrical goods (don't ask, don't ask...) I have bought recently - but they have dropped their "never knowingly undersold" sales pitch recently :wink:I've been lucky with stuff from the States - I bought a polishing machine (proper one) from a US retailer (mainly 'cos I wasn't willing to pay the huge markup that a UK eBay seller was proposing when all he was doing was buying 'em from the same place and rewiring the plug) and that got missed, as did a previous shipment of polish etc.