Tat from NY suburbs Aug 13th 2014 update

fordpoplier

small update

Hardly!

Looks like you found some daylight for snaps after all.

We never got an original M6 in Britain, did we?

Posted Image

Quite a spot if it's a real one!

It's good to see what's across the pond.

Well done, keep it up. :D

small update

Quite a spot if it's a real one!
Did not look like it was fake but was starting to get dark, if a copy was very convincing and in quite nice shape. Was on a residential street not far from my house, I'll try to saunter down that way during daylights hours

• 2 weeks later...

I think the somewhat concave rear side panel (perhaps caused by a collision with something smaller such as a bus) has conspired to make the rear arch look wider but the stick on trim was incredible in that it was all there yet absolutely 100% of it was knackered in some way:)

I missed the Cimarron - mega OOF! So shite it's cool. Can't believe that people actually parted with twice the price of any other J-car (Chevrolet Cavalier etc) for something virtually identical, except some leather in it. Respect.E12 is a good spot. I remember reading that BMW buyers were up in arms when the 530i became the 528i - even though the engine was more powerful, the Yanks do love their 'cubes' and didn't like the fact the new engine was smaller and advertised via the badging as such :roll:

I was looking at Wikipedia and was surprised to see the E12 was built from '74 to '81, you're right Reg, they are not that common over here either despite the time on sale. It also confirmed the change from the 530 to the 528 ('79), I just don't know how you guys know all this:) Smaller Cadillac's such as the Seville seem to shite up pretty quickly, I'm not sure the Cimarron ever stood a chance from day 1.

• 1 month later...

Another great selection there. This was my favourite:

Posted Image

But then I saw this, which is fantastic:

Posted Image

What is it? Looks like the US equivalent of a Viva. Bigger I know, but compact by the standards of the time.

I was more interested in the buildings in the background here, looks like some kind of Tudor meets German schloss theme hotel.

Posted Image

Another great selection there. This was my favourite:

But then I saw this, which is fantastic:

Posted Image

What is it? Looks like the US equivalent of a Viva. Bigger I know, but compact by the standards of the time.

It's a circa 1973 Plymouth Valiant - a later 2 dr version of the red saloon in Duel.

Also offered as the Dodge Dart, because of their simplicity, these were regarded well by buyers who wanted a simple RWD car that got good petrol consumption, compared to maker's smaller attempts at economy cars such as the Chevy Vega and Ford Pinto.

Plus Darts/Valiants were liked because their reliability and quality , the cars that replaced it - the Pymouth Volare and Dodge Aspen, were significantly worse in both regards. Hence many Darts/Valiants are still around, whereas the later cars just rusted away and disappeared.

SL, I had the 'green car on a snowy day', down as a 70s Dodge but I was being honked from behind and the weather was pretty shite too so I think AnthonyG is correct. The building behind the XJS is an apartment building close to a train station about 40 mins ride North of the city. It has a somewhat cheesy name like 'The Stonecrest Tudor' or something and even the locals think it looks a bit theme park.The Mondeo thing was called a Contour here and I don't think the yanks really ever took to them - I believe size wise they are viewed in some sort of no mans land.

Great pics, loving all the 'compacts' along with the seemingly immortal barges.

Is this a Mustang? (Mk3?)

Posted Image

I used to think they looked rubbish and had lost their appeal by this age, but this one looks quite sleek and, well, nice..

Yes it's a '3rd generation' mustang but sometimes called the petrol/gas crisis model. Was sold for many years and generally unpopular even today with mustang purists. Some of this model do look pretty scrawney and pathetic (there's a few in this thread fitting the bill). This one didn't look totally stock.

No, that hood scoop doesn't look quite factory spec does it? I always thought the hatchback version of the Fox-body Mustang looks a lot better than the coupe version (the one with a separate boot), which I think looks wrong and out of proportion. It's true that the base spec models all look rather lame, even the hatchbacks (and drive it too, with that feeble 2.3 Pinto under the bonnet) but I think they can be made to look quite stunning, especially in black. They need lowering springs and larger rims to look their best though. Or else they need to be in a Mad Max grey-primer-dents-and-cherry-bomb style like mine was. 8)

Posted Image

I like this Monte a lot. Didn't these have an insanely powerful turbocharged V6? I remember reading an article about them in a late '80s Autocar & Motor which reckoned they were quicker to 60 than a Testarossa...

[Edit] Thinking about it I seem to recall the mad turbo version had a hood scoop that could swallow a chicken whole, so this is probably the "normal" version.

Yes it's a '3rd generation' mustang but sometimes called the petrol/gas crisis model. Was sold for many years and generally unpopular even today with mustang purists.

How on earth could have been unpopular?This generation of Mustang was the ride of choice of the coolest man to walk the planet:

He has it again in the video for Ice Ice Baby:

He does a pretty good demonstration of the sort of driving pose I do when I'm driving the Charmant to Aldi:

Posted Image

(obviously less the 5.0, ragtop down so my hair can blow, girlies on standby waving just to say hi, etc.)

Posted Image

I like this Monte a lot. Didn't these have an insanely powerful turbocharged V6? I remember reading an article about them in a late '80s Autocar & Motor which reckoned they were quicker to 60 than a Testarossa...

[Edit] Thinking about it I seem to recall the mad turbo version had a hood scoop that could swallow a chicken whole, so this is probably the "normal" version.

You're thinking of the Buick GNX old chap, similar thing but more 'square'. I believe they used the same blown 3.8V6 in the GMC Typhoon and Syclone small 4x4 and pickup. Pretty sure this 'Carlo would have the ubiquitous 5.0 V8, but it's still very nice.

Yes it's a '3rd generation' mustang but sometimes called the petrol/gas crisis model. Was sold for many years and generally unpopular even today with mustang purists.

How on earth could have been unpopular?This generation of Mustang was the ride of choice of the coolest man to walk the planet:
at the time that came out I had an A reg Austin Metro City 1.0, all I had to do was change the lyrics by one digit and I was the coolest twat in South London!

• 2 weeks later...