Tat from NY suburbs Aug 13th 2014 update

fordpoplier

Hello all, I've been an occasional lurker of this site but was too embarrassed to sign up as I do not own anything tat worthy (18 month old twins means I had to join the sensible club) but I've been snapping and felt it time to share. I'm an expat (Reading area) but have lived in the US since 1995, presently located about 20 miles North of NYC. I stumbled across this site searching for pictures of my first car (1979 Fiat Strada), simply put, cars of the more mature variety put a smile on my face so here's a few shots of bits and pieces I've come across recently.

Please reply if Pics too big/small etc, and here's and electric Fiat Strada

http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/874

Mach1c.jpg

Mach1d.jpg

Midgettruck2.jpg

Midgettruck1.jpg

MERCURYTRACER2.jpg

MERCURYTRACER1.jpg

Merc3.jpg

TOY3.jpg

TOY2.jpg

TOY1.jpg

Pickup2.jpg

Merc2.jpg

Mazda.jpg

tarp.jpg

pugs.jpg

pugsporty.jpg

pickup.jpg

mazda.jpg

Frilly lebaron

lebaronfrilly.jpg

but headlamps closed with a nail

lebaronnail.jpg

civic.jpg

ASTOUNDING!The Mustang is devilishly shite. I'd love to hink about in something like that... wife-beater vest, avaitors, moustache and a can o' bud on the go: MANDATORY!The truck thing looks a little, ummm, underwheeled perhaps?The Corolla Coupe's would make about a bazillion quid on eBay here at the mo (AE86 RARE INITIAL D DRIFT COCKSUCKAZ RWD HKS BLITZ etc).And WTF is the random gathering of Pug 405's about? I didn't know Peugeot even bothered flogging stuff over there - the only US peugeot I have ever witnessed was driven by Columbo!

May I be the first to say "welcome"?! :D I just signed up this week, myself!I'm not a lover of yank tanks, but I do like those big car/pick-up things. Oh, and those sun louvers are oh-so-cool. That's an impressive line-up of 405s, and I'm sure the other guys on here will tell you exactly what's under that tarp next to the Golf.I have no idea myself...KJ

thanks for the replies.I also wasn't aware that Pugs were ever seriosly sold here but you see the odd one on the roads so I guess they tried, I found that lot tucked away behind a local garage so I guess he's a horder/fan. I also see the odd Alfa 164 so I guess they tried too.

thanks for the replies.I also wasn't aware that Pugs were ever seriosly sold here but you see the odd one on the roads so I guess they tried, I found that lot tucked away behind a local garage so I guess he's a horder/fan. I also see the odd Alfa 164 so I guess they tried too.

I remember PSA's last boss man saying, at about the time the 407 was launched, that they were planning a new attack on the USA market. However I dont know if he ever got it off the ground and now they have a new guy who may have decided to sack off that ideaDefo seen a few 504's in USA trim, big bumpers and quad lamps and the like.

Nice. I've seen a few 405s over the Pond, and a couple of 505s too, but they were never exactly big sellers over there. Did see one Alfa 164 as well, in LA - was impressed that it appeared to have US-spec rear lights with red turn signals, I wouldn't have thought it'd be worth redesigning the light clusters for such a small volume of sales. The Holy Grail for me though would be a US-spec Citroen CX - only ever seen pictures of them, never managed to spot one in the flesh.

Welcome. That's some good stuff you got there, that grey and filler Toymotor Corolla coop thing is shite summed up in a single photograph.From what I've heard, you would be tat king Cole if you managed to track down a Sterling.

Autoshite is becoming an international brand! - imagine weekly reports of tat from across the globe - in all shapes, sizes & flavours! :shock:8)

Can't wait! It seems most of the people waiting to get authorised have been watching from a great distance.

That Lectric Leopard is an interesting & very neat oddity! Sounds strange to say it, but I wish they'd kept the original less bizarre styling on the stateside Stradas!

I wonder what Fiat Strada lead you to discover this site? :wink::D

Howdy,Was just an attempt at a mispronounced Ford Popular. My Mk1 65CL was virtually identical to that Lectric jobby (midnight blue) aside from the bumpers and motor of course. Required lots of welding at 'only' 6 years old and only lasted a few more years.I do have pics (on 'er indoors camera) of the Merkur badged Sierra & Granada (to be posted soon) but have yet to see a Sterling in the flesh

My Mk1 65CL was virtually identical to that Lectric jobby (midnight blue) aside from the bumpers and motor of course. Required lots of welding at 'only' 6 years old and only lasted a few more years.

Oh so you had it over there as your first car as opposed to when you were over here in Blighty?

Greetings, and looking at the tat you've snapped there I can see why you left Berkshire!

On the 405 front - this was the last Pug to be sold Stateside and they pulled out in 1991. You could get 1.9 standard and Mi16 (detoxed though, so a fair bit less oomph) - having said that I wasn't aware the wagon was ever offered there, unless that collector has grey-imported it, which would be barmy. 504s and 505s sold in small numbers (but more than the 405 did), particularly diesels when the US went Derv crazy for about 18 months between 1979 and 1981. I do believe the 604 was federalized too, check it:

Posted Image

What an ugly bugger. In the ace film 'The Driver', the final crash scene in the warehouse has a load of 504s and 604s in the background.

Some bloke tried to sell me a Merkur Scorpio a couple of years back, off a Usenet forum. I'd just bought a Senator so had to decline. He was a Yank in the UK so I assume he'd got it through USAF or summat. Probably the only one here.

I'd be well impressed if you can snap a Renault Le Car for us all...

I wasn't aware the wagon was ever offered there, unless that collector has grey-imported it, which would be barmy.

Impossible too if I'm not mistaken? - am sure that there's some clause in the Buy American act that sez thou shalt not import a motor veehickle less than twenty-five years of age to the U.S. of A (unless never previously registered elsewhere). Probably not a lot to stop some fairly creative VIN and numberplate jiggery pokery to "legitimise" the 405 break for road use mind.

Mr Popliar, your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to seek out & document the following......AMC PacerAMC GremlinRenault AllianceRenault MedallionChevrolet ChevetteDodge OmniPlymouth CricketVW RabbitVW Dasherany other cars of European origin - they'll be very interesting to see!