Newbie! SELLING RENAULT DODGE 50 SERIES RECOVERY TRUCK

4x4xfaz

Hello ppl, I came across this cool forum whilst looking for info on the Perkins phaser diesel engine info .... anyway my name is Faz, I sell / export classic (older) Japanese 4x4 vehicles ..... but I am posting this very cool and I believe classic Renault dodge 50 series recovery truck for sale .... here goes..

89dodgerenaultb56recoverytruck4.jpg

1989 registered Renault DODGE 50 series B56 diesel RECOVERY TRUCK

(17FT X 7FT alloy bed + spec lift so 2 car transporter break down truck ) 5.6 tonne gross, 2.5 tonne payload + car on spec lift !

CAN REMOVE RECOVERY BODY/SPEC LIFT AND SELL AS CHASSIS CAB ONLY

(OR CAN BREAK IF ENOUGH INTEREST - WOULD BE A GREAT SHAME TO DO SO AS IT'S A GREAT TRUCK) SEND ME YOUR OFFERS.

This truck is in good working order and is ready to go to work and earn money today.

renault dodge 50 series recovery truck for sale

Perkins Phaser 90bhp 3990 cc 4 cylinder diesel with 5 speed ZF manual transmission + POWER STEERING !

Only 2 previous owners from new (last owner owned the truck since 1996 to 2009)

Starts without much drama and drives ok even with a big 4x4 on the back - prefers to cruise at 55mph but will overtake slower trucks at 65mph on the motorway.

Not very keen on hills, they make this old boy feel a little lazy ....

Brakes work perfectly well even with a large car on the back.

Goods vehicle MOT is valid til November 2012.

(This truck is MOT exempt as is registered as breakdown truck - I bought road tax at the DVLA office and they confirmed MOT exemption - the previous owner MOT'd it for haulage work)

Plating certificate states, 5600kg gross weight, 7500kg train weight, front axle 2150kg and rear axle 4000kg

89dodgerenaultb56recoverytruck2.jpg

The recovery bed is solid and looks nearly new! The spec lift is also working, recent service & hydraulic pipes.

Great truck which drives quite well, I drove it over 200 miles to collect a 4x4, and I was very pleased with the performance.

Price £1995 or near offer. Located in Oxford England (can deliver) Call or text 0786 328 1324

OR WILL REMOVE RECOVERY BODY/SPEC LIFT AND SELL AS CHASSIS CAB ONLY

More pictures here: http://s931.photobucket.com/albums/ad157/4x4xfaz/Renault%20dodge%2050%20series%20recovery%20truck/?albumview=slideshow

"Hello; this is my first post, my name is Abbey National, I'm currently offering a fixed rate tracker mortgage at just 3.1% base with a 15% deposit."

TBH I'm not very keen on "first post, buy my Item X" submissions. That said, nice truck, GLWS.

Hello and welcome along. I know the bloke widely reknowned to be THE Perkins expert in England if you need him.

I must take you to task on your truck though, it is NOT exempt from MOT, not matter what the DVLA Office may have told you or anyone else. It's a very grey area and VOSA are starting to spy their arses with people who claim exemption when it's not always the case. Even the Post Office, most coppers and probably some VOSA staff will suggest it's exempt, but it's not.

That is a class truck, I would fuggin LOVE IT!!!! I would just chug around in it all day shifting stuff from A to B. Love the old Dodge 50 cab.

Wonder what would be a better engine for it nowadays, needs to be a 3.0-ltr TD really doesn't it, maybe a Toyota Landcruiser engine or something.

Hello and welcome along. I know the bloke widely reknowned to be THE Perkins expert in England if you need him.

I must take you to task on your truck though, it is NOT exempt from MOT, not matter what the DVLA Office may have told you or anyone else. It's a very grey area and VOSA are starting to spy their arses with people who claim exemption when it's not always the case. Even the Post Office, most coppers and probably some VOSA staff will suggest it's exempt, but it's not.

Thank you for the reply.

I believe if the vehicle has a spec lift and is registered as a "BREAKDOWN TRUCK" on the V5 - log book it is then MOT EXEMPT.

This truck is meets the above mentioned criteria and as such it was confirmed MOT exempt by the chap at DVLA office Oxford when I bought the road tax (£90~ for 6 months)

********** IN ANY CASE THIS TRUCK HAS A GOODS VEHICLE MOT TILL NOVEMBER 2012 **********

More pictures for your pleasure and admiration ... or not as the case maybe :P

renaultdodgeb56breakdowmrecoverytowtruckspecliftforsale.jpg

renaultdodge50seriesrecoverytruckforsale.jpg

That is a class truck, I would fuggin LOVE IT!!!! I would just chug around in it all day shifting stuff from A to B. Love the old Dodge 50 cab.

Wonder what would be a better engine for it nowadays, needs to be a 3.0-ltr TD really doesn't it, maybe a Toyota Landcruiser engine or something.

I have owned and driven many different Landcruisers - 70, 80, 90 and 100 series with all most engine variations 2.4td, 3.0td, 4.2TD 12 + 24Valve versions 4.7L V8 ... and I can honestly say NONE of them can match the torque output for this engine in this application.

Its an old school Perkins engine made to go on and on and on..... with minimal maintenance as compared. It even does 20MPG cruising at 50-60mph with a 2tonne 4x4 on the back.... what more could you possibly want :D

I love Dodge 50s - had three of them, including a beavertail not dissimilar to that one. They ain't fast, but they just grind on and on.

Re the MoT exemption thing - it's only MoT exempt if it's purely a spec lift truck, i.e. incapable of carrying a load on the body itself. If it can do both, then it needs a test. Moot point in this case 'cos the truck's tested anyway.

Hello and welcome! :D

Will you be posting/contributing to the forum after the truck is sold?

I am a member of various motoring forums and I do try to help with questions and general shite as and when I can, this will continue on this forum too. In fact I have already replied to a rough running diesel engine question in a post.

Thank you

These Dodges are bloody awesome, my local operator owned more than a hundred (literally) and took 55 of them new - all with Chrysler's Torqflite automatic transmission.

The best comment I heard was from my boss who had several operate as his depot when he was the DTS there - "George was a dick, they wanted extra for an Allison 'box which he wasn't prepared to pay for. He soon learned - the first gearbox we changed was at 6 weeks."

Personally I was never keen on the Phaser, preferred the 4.236 in the Mk1 50-series but that's not really an issue - Cummins 6BT for me though, please.

Oh and my "Toyota Starlet" current rank ...... is that a pi*s take? surely too high a rank for a newbie..... Toyota Starlets are by far the best "classic car" in terms of reliability and daily drivers ..... perhaps a newbie should be ranked something real crappy and unreliable, something that never ran properly even when they were new .... something like .... morris Ital .... Austin princess .... or some other junk that had cold start issues (even in the summer months)

Toyota Starlet KP60/1/2 is an awesome machine and heaps of fun being back wheel drive .... (even now they start and drive better than Ital or princess types ever did when they were new)..

:mrgreen:

Thank you for the reply.

I believe if the vehicle has a spec lift and is registered as a "BREAKDOWN TRUCK" on the V5 - log book it is then MOT EXEMPT.

This truck is meets the above mentioned criteria and as such it was confirmed MOT exempt by the chap at DVLA office Oxford when I bought the road tax (£90~ for 6 months)

********** IN ANY CASE THIS TRUCK HAS A GOODS VEHICLE MOT TILL NOVEMBER 2012 **********

More pictures for your pleasure and admiration ... or not as the case maybe :P

renaultdodgeb56breakdowmrecoverytowtruckspecliftforsale.jpg

renaultdodge50seriesrecoverytruckforsale.jpg

Nope, if it carries goods on the back it's not test exempt.

The only 'truly' MOT exempt ones have to be over 3500kgs and spec lift only. Even then if you took a motor to the scrapyard and put the old wheels or battery on the back by the spec lift then technically you'd be breaking the law as you're carrying goods.

This is my old one, which was Test Exempt. It was just a spec lift, and could only be used for recovery and roadside assistance. If I had to do transportation of a car, I had to swap to a slide bed version of the same, which was tested.

Truckgreen.jpg

As it is registered as a "BREAKDOWN TRUCK" on the log book / V5 it will never need a MOT hence MOT exempt status, this will remain the case until investigated by someone in authority and then they declare it otherwise.

So.... currently - as the V5/DVLA records confirm THIS PARTICULAR TRUCK IS MOT EXEMPT !!!

**** However this truck has a goods vehicle MOT certificate valid till November 2012 *****

Thank you all for your input.

I did try listing in commercial vehicles but it wouldn't load any of the information related to the truck with the registration number, so I listed in cars and and found registration details, engine size etc etc.................Don't people just use the search box for what they want to find instead of scrolling through multiple category layers to browse a category?

Just because it says 'recovery' on the V5 doesn't make it MOT exempt. It does (or it should) mean cheaper tax and you generally get cheap trips through the Mersey Tunnel and such like but as has been hammered home enough times on this thread your truck is NOT text exempt, no matter how you might pretend.

Right, back to your advert:

I'd suggest posting a picture of the spec out and one of it with a car on as people will undoutably want to see that it works ok.

You're right, Mr B. It's just that I abhor people who spout all that 'MOT exempt' shit when it's not actually the case-like this one for example as people are going to get their fingers burnt if they buy a truck on the strength of that then get into trouble with our mates at VOSA.

I have provided all facts known to me, namely: Confirmation of MOT EXEMPTION by the DVLA employee when I went in to buy road tax. I took along V5 my insurance certificate and MOT CERTIFICATE ! I handed over the 3 documents and asked for 6 months road tax - he returned the MOT certificate to me and said "it's MOT EXEMPT". Plus the fact the "type" is recorded as BREAK DOWN TRUCK on the V5

Hence advertised as MOT EXEMPT. With Valid goods vehicle MOT certificate till November 2012 !!!!!!!!

So stop getting your knickers an a twist :!:

Thanks for the tip on showing the spec working, point taken.

Well, you can argue as long as you like - unless it's in writing it's an opinion only. And even then I'd be very cautious (been there, done that one, lost)

The fact you say it's MOT exempt and then advertise it with an MOT is mightily confusing in itself - it certainly does your appearance as a knowledgeable trader no favours in my opinion. Not sure how you can alleviate that now mind.

Nice trucks though.

The fact you say it's MOT exempt and then advertise it with an MOT is mightily confusing in itself - it certainly does your appearance as a knowledgeable trader no favours in my opinion. Not sure how you can alleviate that now mind.

and just wait till pre 1960 cars are MoT exempt! lololololol

Indeed, the regs were confusing enough when I was a tester, nevermind now, and hoping that Insurance companies will insist on a test as proof of roadworthiness....loooooooooool. Standard Gov't/Civil Service hopelessness.

Anyway, good luck with sale - it deserves a good home.